Sign in to follow this  
Vin

JaMarcus Russell attempting a comeback

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports ex-Raiders QB JaMarcus Russell is attempting another comeback.

The last we heard of the former No. 1 overall pick, he was attempting a "comeback" with the Louisiana Swashbucklers of the Professional Indoor Football League in December 2011. According to Rapoport, the famously portly quarterback currently tips the scales at 305, but is hoping to get down to 265. Good luck, JaMarcus. Brett Favre is among the players who have played NFL football more recently than Russell.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

305. That's pretty impressive.

:rofl: He has no shot in the NFL anymore, so much talent but the mental part just isn't there.

How do you come back to what you never were?

He's got a lot of talent, no one can deny that. Never had the work ethic though, just another 'get rich and lay down' story. Wasn't he up to 335 before he left the NFL or something crazy like that?

He's got a lot of talent, no one can deny that. Never had the work ethic though, just another 'get rich and lay down' story. Wasn't he up to 335 before he left the NFL or something crazy like that?

Having a strong arm does not mean talent. :grinno:

Fat chance!

see what I did there?

But anyway, best of luck to him. If he's serious about this, then I'm behind him. Power to anyone who's willing to improve themselves. But I doubt he pulls it off.

• Upvote 2

Fat chance!

see what I did there?

But anyway, best of luck to him. If he's serious about this, then I'm behind him. Power to anyone who's willing to improve themselves. But I doubt he pulls it off.

That's my take on it. I doubt it would happen, but if it would be great to see it happen.

Having a strong arm does not mean talent. :grinno:

He made some pretty solid throws here and there. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's going to be able to do it. Even if he does it won't be a success. Still, have to give him props for attempting this.

He made some pretty solid throws here and there. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's going to be able to do it. Even if he does it won't be a success. Still, have to give him props for attempting this.

Only if I have to give Favre props for coming back. He was never anything that resembled a shitty starting NFL QB consistently. He was overrated as hell coming out of college and you could see his ass busting from light years away. The only thing I can kinda give him props for is that he was able to set himself up for life for a year or two of work.

The Newark Star-Ledger reports the Jets have had "some very exploratory, informal discussions" regarding ex-Raiders QB JaMarcus Russell.

Russell, of course, was the No. 1 overall pick in the 2007 draft and has been out of the league since 2009. However, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported last week that Russell is planning to show his face at the NFL Scouting Combine next month in hopes of making a comeback. Russell is currently tipping the scales at 305 pounds, but hopes to get down to his past playing weight of around 260. The Star-Ledger says these talks happened after Mike Tannenbaum was fired, but it's unclear if John Idzik was in the fold, yet. Only the Jets.

Source: Newark Star-Ledger

I think eventually he will make it back to the league and earn a shot down the road.

Per Rotoworld.com:

Free agent JaMarcus Russell will hold a "pro day" on or around April 10.

Russell has been training at TEST Football Academy in San Diego with Jeff Garcia in hopes of making a comeback. He recently weighed under 300 pounds -- an accomplishment for Russell -- but still has "hills to climb." Russell will be throwing to Larry Fitzgerald and ex-Bucs WR Michael Clayton at the workout. Feb 22 - 1:54 PM

Source: Tony Pauline on Twitter

I could see a team like the Browns or Cardinals giving him a shot. Obviously he'd have to earn it, but at the very least his arm strength fits their vertical offense philosophy and could be appealing to Arians or Chud.

I could see a team like the Browns or Cardinals giving him a shot. Obviously he'd have to earn it, but at the very least his arm strength fits their vertical offense philosophy and could be appealing to Arians or Chud.

If he was in shape and his skills were still good than I think the Cardinals would give him a chance!

haven't looked at this thread in a while, but the Jets have looked at him? could Russell become Tebow 2.0?

Edited by oochymp

I hope he gets a shot and succeeds. Not likely to happen, but I'd like to see it.

• Upvote 2

The biggest bust of all time (former #1 overall pick) attempts a comeback being out the league for 3 years and has success... Even though he looks like a whale right now, I hope he does have a successful comeback. That would make for an amazing story.