housemd

Campbell-Weeden is even competition

Citing two league sources, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports Jason Campbell will receive a "legitimate shot" to win the Browns' starting quarterback job over Brandon Weeden.

The competition pumped up by Browns brass is "more than just lip service," the sources said. Weeden will open offseason activities as the starter, but Campbell will receive first-team reps as well. "This is a long, long process and there's a long time between now and our opener," said coach Rob Chudzinski. "We’ve got plenty of time and this is just the first step." We anticipate Weeden winning the job, but the Browns will make him earn it.

If Weeden was 22, we wouldn't be having these conversations. The problem is his age and the limited time he has to show he's a starting NFL quarterback material. I'm hoping he will improve under Norv Turners offense which is more suited to Weeden strengths, but my expectations are very low.

Campbell has gotten fucked over a lot in his career. I think they could do some things with Campbell for sure.

Weeden is beginning more and more to look like an absolute wasted pick by the Browns. I feel as if they are simply using him as a "stop-gap" to keep the fans excited somewhat.

A stop gap would probably be an upgrade in Cleveland. That would infer they have somebody to take over... Or do they tank this year to get Bridgewater?

Jason Campbell is awful lmao.

I'm a huge Weeden fan. But considering his age he might never get a good enough chance to be someones franchise Qb. He will always be remembered as the best Qb ever at Ok State, but will probably only live up to Jon Kitna standards in the Nfl. I think he will win the starting job for now, but in the next few years he will be let go for some younger guy. Will this younger guy be better? Probably not.

Lets say if Weeden was 22 going into last years draft. Of course Luck and Rg3 are 1 and 2 picks, but what about the Dolphins? I think Weeden is a way better Qb than Tannehill, but age played a big part. And I believe Weeden would've been selected the 8th overall pick.

There was an article I read during the season when Cleveland and Denver played. John Elway said he planned on drafting Weeden if Peyton had signed with some other team.

I don't see any way that Campbell wins this "competition". No way at all. They can preach that it's an even competition all they want but we all know it's not. If it were even, they would simply say that they haven't decided on a starter. They have Weeden booked as starter, the competition is just to try and light a fire under his ass. I also think that Norv Turner is going to do wonders with Brandon Weeden. He's the perfect guy to bring out Weedens potential and use him to his strengths. I think we will see a lot better things this year out of the Browns' offense.

A stop gap would probably be an upgrade in Cleveland. That would infer they have somebody to take over... Or do they tank this year to get Bridgewater?

If Browns get decent QB play they probably won't be in range to take Bridgewater without trading up. They still could get a solid QB though.

Jason Campbell is awful lmao.

Somehow he looked good while a Raider.

Honestly I think the QB competition in Cleveland is barely relevant. The Browns have seemingly improved in all facets of the game......except at QB. I saw nothing last season that suggested Sweden is a franchise QB. He would need to improve drastically this season to prove otherwise. I think the QB position is the one thing that'll continue to hold the Browns down.

If Weeden was 22, we wouldn't be having these conversations. The problem is his age and the limited time he has to show he's a starting NFL quarterback material. I'm hoping he will improve under Norv Turners offense which is more suited to Weeden strengths, but my expectations are very low.

Campbell has gotten fucked over a lot in his career. I think they could do some things with Campbell for sure.

Somehow he looked good while a Raider.

1. If he was 22 we most certainly would be having a very similar conversation. There's no way that a 22yr-old should be in any kind of competition with Campbell. For the record, I'm still rooting for Weeden, but I just haven't seen what I was hoping for yet.

2. Campbell has not gotten fucked. He is just not that good.

3. I respectfully disagree. There were moments where he didn't look like dog shit, but good is a stretch, to me anyway..