Dutch

Who wins the NFC South in 2013?

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the NFC South this year?

The NFC South will be very interesting this year. We have the Falcons who were a game away from the Superbowl. This team didn't go through much change during the offseason. On defense, they lose a good pass rusher in John Abraham and Dunta Robinson. They go corner in the 1st round and pick up Dezmond Trufant. Offensively, they are one of the most dangerous teams in the league with one of the best WR corps: Roddy White, Julio Jones and Tony Gonzalez. They also add a work horse Steven Jackson to the mix which makes them better. No one has won the NFC South two years in a row but the Falcons are definitely talented enough to pull it off.

The Saints organization is relieved getting back Sean Payton. The Saints historically had the worst defensive performance in Nfl history last year. Despite having the worst defense ever, the offense carried the team to 7-9 which is still pretty dam impressive imo. They picked up Rob Ryan (mediocre DC) and are switching to a 3-4. They really can't be worse than they were last year and I think having Payton back will make the team more sound in general. They could easily get back into contention.

The Bucs will be very interesting this year. They were very active this offseason and made a splash picking up the most sought after safety in free agency Dashon Goldson. They made even a bigger splash by acquiring Darrelle Revis in a trade who is (when healthy) the best CB in football. The Bucs had the worst secondary in the league last year landing last in pass defense. Their revamped secondary could prove to be more then formidable. If the Bucs can get some stable play out of Josh Freeman, who knows how well this team can do.

The Panthers are perceived as the underdogs of the division. Their main problem seemed to be that they had a QB that was asked to do it all. The Panthers demanded a lot of Cam Newton last year. Not only was he the teams QB, he was the teams RB as well. Cam led his team in rushing yards and rushing TDs. The team had no versatility and suffered from horrendous play calling as well. Down the stretch though, the Panthers were playing some good football. They won their last 4 games of the season finishing 7-9. Also, an interesting fact is that the Panthers lost 7 of their games by a TD or less. So that shows that they were in a lot of games. They could possibly turn the leaf over in 2013.

With all that said, I'm rolling with the Saints. You go 8-8 with the worst defense in NFL history... the record should be looking like my eagles record; 4-12. I think Sean Payton coming back will add some resolve to the team and they get back to form. The Saints defense only has to be near average with Drew Brees at the mantle.

Edited by dutchff7

The Saints went 7-9, not 8-8, just fyi.

• Upvote 1

The Saints went 7-9, not 8-8, just fyi.

My fault, you're right. All 3 teams except the Falcons went 7-9. Must have been thinking about the Steelers :shrug:

I voted for the Bucs because I am a homer and that is all.

Screw the Falcons and that secondary that could be awful. The Saints well who knows, they could win as long as Brees is there.

I picked the Bucs because they seem to have fixed their God awful secondary, BUT

Josh Freeman still sucks ass.

Edited by BwareDWare94

Every team in this division has some big strengths and big weaknesses. I think Atlanta is the best on paper, but their secondary looks shaky depending on how good Trufant can be as a rookie and I think they'll miss Abraham. Osi isn't quite as good.

It will be an interesting race, but I really don't want to pick a winner because I'm biased.

Every team in this division has some big strengths and big weaknesses. I think Atlanta is the best on paper, but their secondary looks shaky depending on how good Trufant can be as a rookie and I think they'll miss Abraham. Osi isn't quite as good.

It will be an interesting race, but I really don't want to pick a winner because I'm biased.

Lol, I don't blame you. I'm the same way. It took everything in me not to pick the Eagles in the NFC thread just because... Don't be scurred tho! VOTE!

The Falcons run away with it.

Lol no. This isnt the AFC East where yall let the Pats have it every year without contest.

Edited by Thanatos19

I picked the Bucs because they seem to have fixed their God awful secondary, BUT

Josh Freeman still sucks ass.

If Josh Freeman sucks ass this year, there is no way we win the division. Our only shot at winning the division is if Freeman plays well and we stay healthy. The rest of the division is too good for us to win if those 2 things don't happen.

I went with the Falcons, but honestly, I could see any team winning the division. It's going to be another crazy year in the NFC South.

The Falcons run away with it.

I got the Falcons, but they ain't running away with shit.

Falcons repeat,I don't care if it's easy or not,but they repeat.

Bucs take it, ending the season at 11-5.

Barring Freeman doesn't go Michael Jackson on us half way through the year.

post-8645-0-86113000-1369173693_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

The Falcons' secondary can't be any worse than it was last season. At least not in my opinion. As far as Abraham goes, they won't really miss him like some of you have pegged. Abraham had one or two good games this past season and then he disappeared. He wasn't as prominent as in years past and that's why they ditched him. Between Alford, McClain and Trufant, one of them will be a solid #2 and we already know that McClain can play the nickel real well.

Might sound like a complete homer, but I have a real hard time selecting any other team right now. I want to say the Bucs, but I want to think they will do well every season and it never turns out well. I guess if Freeman can keep his head out of his ass they could ride Martin and Jackson on offense, so you can't count them out. The defense wasn't that bad, and they have Revis now which should help their pass rush.

The Saints will have a minimum of 9 wins so they could easily win the division too. Still a pass first team, the defense can't really be too much better than last season even though they do project better as a 3-4 defense. We'll see. If they can keep others from scoring, they are obviously always a favorite with Brees throwing the ball.

The Panthers, where do we start? No matter how much "talent" people want to say they have, that team is thin any way you look at it. They have quite a bit of digging to do with their cap situation, I don't think they are winning the division, but I also don't think they will have less than 7 wins.

Edited by Rain Man

:Falcons: Atlanta Falcons (13-3)

Atlanta is the best team in the division in my eyes. The NFC South is competitive every year, you can throw out records when it comes to division games. It will be no easy task to repeat as champions of a division that has never been taken twice in a row, but the Falcons have a good group of players and some up and comers that can make that happen. Atlanta can win the division if they protect Matt Ryan and give him time to throw. Getting a run game going would certainly help.

:Bucs: Tampa Bay Buccaneers (7-9)

The Bucs are going to live and die by one man this year: Josh Freeman. They gave him weapons last year with Vincent Jackson, they've fixed the defense in the offseason with the acquisitions of Revis and Goldson, he has no more excuses. This is his contract year, make or break season, all on his shoulders. Tampa can take the division if Freeman plays well, back to his 2010 form. They will not take it if Freeman plays like he did in 2011 or 2012.

:Saints: New Orleans Saints (7-9)

The Saints issues are almost entirely on the defensive side of the ball. Having Payton back for the 2013 season should help in that case, but swapping to a 3-4 is going to be difficult to adjust to. I don't expect the Saints to have a hot start, and in this division, not having a hot start may end up causing you to fall just short of the the wins needed. The Saints can win the division if their defense improves- a lot.

:panthers: Carolina Panthers (7-9)

Carolina is in serious salary cap trouble, which causes them not to pick up any big-time free agents. They also had only 5 draft picks. Marty Hurney's legacy is going to make it difficult for Carolina to upend the other 3 NFC South teams for first place in the division. DeAngelo Williams restructuring his contract certainly helps ease the salary cap woes, but I don't foresee them picking up any big free agents at this point in the offseason. They are going to need Cam to carry them, again. Carolina can win the division if Cam plays well and protects the ball in year 3, and if their run-game can get going once again.

Edited by Thanatos19

Does anyone ever even repeat in this division?

It's very tough to call. Will the Saints defense improve to give Brees some help? Will the Bucs QB improve? Who the hell are the Panthers? Can the Falcons prove to be the elite contender people expect?

:shrug:

I still think the Panthers find a way to win the division. I think they can have a top 10 defense, and that offense goes where Cam Newton goes, and it's gonna be a good one this year.

I am a panthers fan and of course want to say they win the division but I think out of all the teams in the division they improved their roster the least. Obviously it was near impossible to bring anyone in given the cap situation. I hope Carolina can get at least 9 wins this year but I'm going to give the division this year to the falcons.

First off, the Panthers? No. Cam is talented, but last I checked that defense hasn't gotten any better. Couple that with the fact that they brought in no weapons to help the offense score the 40 points per game that they'll need to win, and I don't see it happening.

Next, onto the Bucs. I'll believe it when I see it. Yeah, they went out and tried to fix their problems via free agency, but that tactic fails at least as much as it is successful, so we'll see how that works out. I still have no faith in Freeman. He had one Matt Cassel-esqu season, and the rest of the time he's pretty much been donkey balls. They have the hamster and some big receivers. Too bad that it's Freeman trying to get them the ball. Don't see them winning it either.

Who dat say dey gun win dat division?!? Sorry, not the Saints. Payton coming back will be an unavoidable weekly saga played out before our very eyes on ESPN and NFLN alike. It's a nice story, but he's the guy who put the Saints OFFENSE together. It's the defense that blows ass, and he's not gonna be able to change that much. They haven't gotten any better on paper from where I'm sitting, and unless the defense improves out of nowhere, this will be an exciting team to watch that loses almost as much as they win. I could see them in a wild card spot at best.

Someone has to repeat in this division, and finally they will: Falcons win. I was a little leery about picking them seeing as every time they trick me into drinking the cool aid, they fall on their faces. I give them credit for their run last year, but that team was stacked. I hate to use the term super bowl or bust, but it was kinda that way. I don't know how much Steven Jackson has in the tank, but if it's anything more than Turner the crotch burner had, the offense will be even better. That's scary. On defense, they lost two guys who used to be really good. They're just meh now, and losing them shouldn't hurt too bad.

First off, the Panthers? No. Cam is talented, but last I checked that defense hasn't gotten any better. Couple that with the fact that they brought in no weapons to help the offense score the 40 points per game that they'll need to win, and I don't see it happening.

Defense was #10 in the league last year. Worst category was run defense. We brought in two DTs in the draft with our first and second picks.

There's plenty to pick on for Carolina, but "the defense sucks" is media hype and completely false.

The only problems I see on Panthers roster are o-line and backfield. O-line problems will be fixed once Jordan Gross and Ryan Kalil return. Kalil is arguably the best center in the league and Gross will make Cam not run for his life all the time.

I always believed Jonathan Stewart would become a true #1 RB on that roster but right now,I don't see anyone worth that role.

The only problems I see on Panthers roster are o-line and backfield. O-line problems will be fixed once Jordan Gross and Ryan Kalil return. Kalil is arguably the best center in the league and Gross will make Cam not run for his life all the time.

I always believed Jonathan Stewart would become a true #1 RB on that roster but right now,I don't see anyone worth that role.

They have some questions in the secondary too, especially with Gamble gone.

I think their running game will be fine, if they decide to actually run the ball. I don't know why Chud wanted to pass the ball so much last year.

I think the Panthers biggest concern is the secondary. They probably have the best front 7 in the NFC South, but their secondary is a big problem.

Defense was #10 in the league last year. Worst category was run defense. We brought in two DTs in the draft with our first and second picks.

There's plenty to pick on for Carolina, but "the defense sucks" is media hype and completely false.

I never said they suck. I indicated that they aren't very good, which i believe. They gave up a lot of points, and Cam still needs more weapons than he's got. That includes the running game and O-line. I don't see where i said anything out of line.