Dutch

NFLs most overrated players (or coaches)

I have a looooooong list of overrated players. Many fans can't go beyond the numbers and that's why we have so many people looked at like beast when they are just good, products of the system, or scheme-dependent (Nnamdi).

To name a few....

-Percy Harvin: The trade for him and the money he is making for a guy who can't really win on the outside. Again not garbage, but overrated.

-2012's rookie QBs (except Tannehill): They won games, they put up numbers, andT they all went to the playoffs. BUT to crown these young signal callers after ONE season is just crazy. The talent and potential is all there, but the hype machine is really too much for second year QBs right now. Again not garbage, but overrated.

-Richard Sherman: Yes he was a beast last year and yes he was All-Pro. But when fans and media start to call someone the best anything in the league you are talking about being elite and when you are talking about being elite you need more than one season of top notch play. Again not garbage, but overrated.

-J.J. Watt: His season was historic and he looked dominant a lot of times, but I haven't seen a hype machine like his in awhile. I am all for the awards and accolades when pertaining to last season cause it was amazing, but someone of the people trying to make it seem like he is just untouchable is too much because the scheme helps him and we have to seem him do it again. Him being overrated is purely because the hype is on another level. Again a beast, but overrated.

Idk how percy harvin is overrated when he was statistically the best offensive weapon in the league before he got hurt last year.

Because he got hurt last year. Playing well for 8 games is fine, but you'd rather a guy who plays about as well for 16.

Because he got hurt last year. Playing well for 8 games is fine, but you'd rather a guy who plays about as well for 16.

That's one season, outside of that he missed 3 games in 3 years. He's been much more productive then other offensive players and is a much much more rounded offensive player then a lot of other players.

He's also never had a 1000 yard season. He's constantly getting into shit with his coaches for his attitude and people are quick to crown him as an elite player when he's constantly being outproduced by many other players. I think that's what makes him overrated.

• Upvote 1

Brandon Marshall is up there for me. Unless if he's in the bottom half of the top 10.

Brandon Marshall overrated? Six straight 1000 yard seasons and not a season under 81 receptions and is the 4th WR in NFL history to have four 100 reception seasons. Definitely not overrated. Underrated more so.

Oh ho! When I saw that Brandon Marshall post I started rubbing my hands together because I knew that Dutch was gonna come out swinging.

Now I don't have a dog in this fight, but I do think it's worth considering that Marshall has spent basically his entire career on teams with next to nothing around him for receiving options.

• Upvote 1

No way Marshall is underrated. Most people have him as a top 5 top 4 receiver anyway.

The guy is just a big possession receiver, and most possession receivers get overrated anyway. The amount of yards and receptions he gets are a product of the fact that he has been force fed the ball his whole career. Rarely ever does he make the guys around him better.

Even his route running is overrated, he's a body receiver, and most of his catches come from running simple routes and bodying the CB he's up against.

Oh ho! When I saw that Brandon Marshall post I started rubbing my hands together because I knew that Dutch was gonna come out swinging.

Now I don't have a dog in this fight, but I do think it's worth considering that Marshall has spent basically his entire career on teams with next to nothing around him for receiving options.

Haha yeah. Brandon Marshall has been consistently good for a long time now and when you're the only receiving option, it makes it easier for defenses to focus/gameplan for receivers.

No way Marshall is underrated. Most people have him as a top 5 top 4 receiver anyway.

The guy is just a big possession receiver, and most possession receivers get overrated anyway. The amount of yards and receptions he gets are a product of the fact that he has been force fed the ball his whole career. Rarely ever does he make the guys around him better.

Receptions and receiving yards are a product of a receiver making plays. He's been the only real receiving option everywhere he's been which allows defenses to focus on him easier and he still produces. Just because you are fed the ball a lot doesn't equate to making plays the way Marshall does.

Even his route running is overrated, he's a body receiver, and most of his catches come from running simple routes and bodying the CB he's up against.

I wouldn't say his route running is overrated. I never heard of anyone proclaiming him as an all pro route runner. I do know however that he goes out, runs a route and makes plays. I don't know how you can knock someone for making a play regardless of how it's done. Especially when they are consistently making plays. What he is doing is working and he's having great success so he has to be doing something right. Let's also not act like Calvin Johnson doesn't impose his body against defenders either. He's not a polished receiver like Larry Fitzgerald when it comes to route running. Most of Calvin Johnson's plays are him going vertical utilizing his speed, imposing his body/athleticism jumping over defenders to make plays. He's gotten better running routes and has been moved around more (slot) then years past but Calvin Johnson IS a testament of his body build and freakish athletic talents. The second coming to Randy Moss but freakier (probably). I don't see it being fair to knock Brandon Marshall for being an athlete.

Receptions and receiving yards are a product of a receiver making plays. He's been the only real receiving option everywhere he's been which allows defenses to focus on him easier and he still produces. Just because you are fed the ball a lot doesn't equate to making plays the way Marshall does.

A lot of the consistent 100+ 1000+ seasons are based on how much he gets force fed the ball. Him being the only real receiving option isn't really relevant either. A lot of top 10 receivers can produce regardless of who they are around.

Only twice in his career has he averaged over 13 YPC (I didn't consider his rookie his season)... That in of itself tells you how much he needs the ball fed to him for him to perform.

I wouldn't say his route running is overrated. I never heard of anyone proclaiming him as an all pro route runner. I do know however that he goes out, runs a route and makes plays. I don't know how you can knock someone for making a play regardless of how it's done. Especially when they are consistently making plays. What he is doing is working and he's having great success so he has to be doing something right. Let's also not act like Calvin Johnson doesn't impose his body against defenders either. He's not a polished receiver like Larry Fitzgerald when it comes to route running. Most of Calvin Johnson's plays are him going vertical utilizing his speed, imposing his body/athleticism jumping over defenders to make plays. He's gotten better running routes and has been moved around more (slot) then years past but Calvin Johnson IS a testament of his body build and freakish athletic talents. The second coming to Randy Moss but freakier (probably). I don't see it being fair to knock Brandon Marshall for being an athlete.

I'm not knocking him for making plays at all. I pointed to his route running because I have heard a lot of people in general praise him for his route running. Hell, the only reason why his name crossed my mind was because yesterday on NBC's sports network they were talking about how great of a route runner he is.

I'm knocking him for being a guy who only puts up big numbers because he's force fed the ball. Regardless of how good guys are around him. If other top 10 receivers were fed the ball like Marshall is, they'd be putting up even better numbers.

Go back to his days in Denver, Jay Cutler was actually better throwing to other receivers then he was throwing to Marshall. Pretty noticeably in fact.

Brandon Marshall? Overrated?!? Bill O'Reilly thinks you're just trolling for shock value.

I also have to echo the sentiment on Andrew Luck, he's good, but NFL.com has him rated as the #23 player on their top 100 from last year, he'll probably get there, but he ain't there yet

well, now NFLN has rated RG3 as the #15 player, which means he's gotta be included here, I do think most people have a realistic view of RG3, but seeing any rookie ranked as the 15th best player in the league should merit a spot on any overrated list, why do we always have to treat the next big thing as if it's the current big thing?

The top 100 list is a complete joke. It's just a popularity contest.

this may be quite unpopular with other Ravens fans but I personally think that Torrey Smith is a bit overrated. This is the guy the Ravens want to become their next 1. Receiver, the guy who has not yet had a 1000+ yard season. Don't get me wrong, I believe the guy can be a very good receiver and has had a few tremendous games (e.g. vs Patriots in the regular season and vs Broncos in the play-offs. However if he is going to be the true 1. receiver he needs to improve his route running and hands. he also needs to make sure he works at being there every game as he seems to disappear for whole games (usually because he has the other teams 1. CB on him. now that Boldin is gone he needs to be able to beat the 1. CBs ev every week because Doss, Thompson, Streeter (all have potential) just don't have the experience at the moment.

Some people already seem to think that Smith is great but I personally believe he is only an above average receiver for the moment. Hopefully he will explode for 1000+ yard season next season and come into contention as one of the NFL's top 10 receivers.

Wow, I thought I was the only person that thought this. Just watching him play, I have never really seen what was so great about him aside from his long speed. :shrug:

this may be quite unpopular with other Ravens fans but I personally think that Torrey Smith is a bit overrated. This is the guy the Ravens want to become their next 1. Receiver, the guy who has not yet had a 1000+ yard season. Don't get me wrong, I believe the guy can be a very good receiver and has had a few tremendous games (e.g. vs Patriots in the regular season and vs Broncos in the play-offs. However if he is going to be the true 1. receiver he needs to improve his route running and hands. he also needs to make sure he works at being there every game as he seems to disappear for whole games (usually because he has the other teams 1. CB on him. now that Boldin is gone he needs to be able to beat the 1. CBs ev every week because Doss, Thompson, Streeter (all have potential) just don't have the experience at the moment.

Some people already seem to think that Smith is great but I personally believe he is only an above average receiver for the moment. Hopefully he will explode for 1000+ yard season next season and come into contention as one of the NFL's top 10 receivers.

Bravo good sir. I have said this too. I think the kid is good but between him and Boldin all we had were 2 number 2's. I am really looking for Streeter and Thompson to come along and then my mind can be at ease. As for Doss, for a guy who was supposed to have amazing hands, when he got his opportunity this year it looked like he was allergic to leather.

The top 100 list is a complete joke. It's just a popularity contest.

I thought DMAC's assessment of the player's list from a year or two ago was kinda spot on. Sure there is some hype involved but the players tend to rate based on who they scheme around and talk about in meetings and who they practice to try and stop or exploit based on these players. So its skewed towards guys that can change a game in an instant perhaps. I'm not really doing his argument justice.

• Upvote 1

I thought DMAC's assessment of the player's list from a year or two ago was kinda spot on. Sure there is some hype involved but the players tend to rate based on who they scheme around and talk about in meetings and who they practice to try and stop or exploit based on these players. So its skewed towards guys that can change a game in an instant perhaps. I'm not really doing his argument justice.

Yeah, but even from that perspective, the list is still a joke. There are 100 players on that list that require more game planning than Jimmy Graham? There are 60 players let along like 10 QB's that require more game planning then Ben Roethlisberger? The guy that single handedly carries his offense because of his superb improvisational skills? Game planning for Big Ben is a pain in the ass and I can't think of 5 players let along barely 5 QBs that I'd rather face with the game on the line. Stephen Tulloch at 63? Lol, there is no way to justify this list.

• Upvote 1

Not a surprise to think that many believe Matt Ryan is overrated...yet it's safe to say about 5/8 of this league would ejaculate if Matt Ryan was their QB.

Brandon Marshall being overrated makes no sense to me as well...for the love of God...he's been with Jay Cutler, and the whorehouse of shitty Dolphins QB's..but he still produces at a high level lol.

For me, it's Mike Wallace. He's inconsistent, has drops, a huge risk/reward player if you ask me, but if you place him in the right system...he could be a top 5 WR..but now that he's with the Phins...don't expect him to be anything too special with Tannenhill.

Edited by Julio4Ever
  • Upvote 1

Marshall is overrated because people look at his catches, and yards and call him elite and go as far as putting him in the top tier of receivers.

When really, he's a bottom top 10 guy and frankly, I'd take the younger receivers who are 25- years old over him. The only elite aspect of his game is his YAC, but that doesn't say much because a lot of great receivers are pretty much great at getting yards after the catch.

Marshall is not overrated whatsoever. I'm not a big numbers guy, but you look at the numbers he puts up and the situations he has been in and you can't honestly sit there and tell me that he isn't playing some great football. I remember before the season wondering if he could continue on his seasons of 100 catches and over 1000 yards like he did in Denver and he by far blew away my expectations.

Now Cutler forcing him the ball every other play helps, but high pointing the ball with strong hands and his ability to run the ball after the catch (former running back) puts him in the top 5 conversation all day everyday

• Upvote 1

Marshall is overrated because people look at his catches, and yards and call him elite and go as far as putting him in the top tier of receivers.

When really, he's a bottom top 10 guy and frankly, I'd take the younger receivers who are 25- years old over him. The only elite aspect of his game is his YAC, but that doesn't say much because a lot of great receivers are pretty much great at getting yards after the catch.

So, your not giving him credit for his receptions (118, 2nd best in the league) and yards (1508, 3rd best in the league) which yielded elite numbers. You didn't bring up TDs which was 4th best in the league, but whatever. Then you go and say the only elite part of his game is his YAC (which in all actuality wasn't because he was 29th), but THEN go and disregard that as well because there are other receivers that are good at it... So basically, it just sounds like you're going to disregard everything good about this game. So he can yield elite numbers but is a bottom 10 guy. And when you do acknowledge a part of his game that you think is good, its irrelevant because other guys are good at it too. Lol

Edited by dutchff7

Also I don't agree with calling someone overrated because of a zone blocking scheme this goes for Foster, Morris, and others.....because the reality is that zone blocking requires a smarter running back who is extremely decicisve and quick. It doesn't just magically produce you yards a runner has to really understand where the creases will be and where the defense is playing in order to break yards. Saying that other schemes require to create offense is also false because every play is drawn up to score in theory, you don't draw up plays telling the running back ok you have to break these two tackles cause we won't block them...that's just a bad running game and while the back might be a beast to create his runs you can't knock a guy for having a run game in which he doesn't have to create as much (that's the objective)