Sign in to follow this  
housemd

Update: Matt Flynn demoted to 3rd string QB

Coach Dennis Allen reiterated that the starting quarterback job is Matt Flynn's to lose.

Flynn is getting the majority of reps with the starters during OTAs. "Matt's our starting quarterback as we go forward right now," Allen said, "and until the competition dictates otherwise, that's where we're going." Flynn will have to faceplant in order to lose the job to fourth-round rookie Tyler Wilson. We suspect that faceplant won't come until sometime during the season.

This was what I was expecting, although I have heard that Wilson has looked good in OTA's. I'm excited to see how Flynn looks for an extended period of time. He's been waiting a while to get a chance to start and now he finally has it.

Well being we're still in May, and the regular season remains nearly 100 days away, this Raider team is a work in progress. And even though Flynn has taken the majority of first-team snaps at OTA's and is being considered the current starter, I still wont take anything to literally. Me..I am for whoever creates W's for the Raiders even if we have to drag Jim Plunkett out of the booth.

#RAIDERNATION4LIFE!!!

I hope Terrelle Pryor wins it. Get him coached up right and he can be deadly with a healthy DMC. Flynn has the lowest ceiling out of all of them though, I'd hate to see him win the job.

I hope Terrelle Pryor wins it. Get him coached up right and he can be deadly with a healthy DMC. Flynn has the lowest ceiling out of all of them though, I'd hate to see him win the job.

As a Chiefs fan, i'd love to see Pryor win it. :biggrin:

Just not a fan of his. I see Flynn starting the season as the starter, we'll see what happens by midseason though. Not all that sold on Flynn either.

This was what I was expecting, although I have heard that Wilson has looked good in OTA's. I'm excited to see how Flynn looks for an extended period of time. He's been waiting a while to get a chance to start and now he finally has it.

I completly agree, not a whole lot to work with around him like it was in green bay but this is exciting news and not a oakland fan but its been awhile since Oakland has had a solid all around QB and i'd like to see how Flynn and Cribbs can work together. Plus a healthy Mcfadden and if he can stay healthy

Tyler Wilson's gonna win the job anyway, so this is moot.

After breaking down Matt Flynn's NFL game tape, ESPN's Ron Jaworski came away discouraged by his arm strength and believes the Raiders will have to "manipulate" Flynn with "pass concepts and playcalling."

Flynn is No. 32 in Jaws' 2013 Quarterback Countdown. "The more throws I watched, the more his arm strength limitations were evident," Jaworski said. "... In fact, I was concerned that his few deep balls lost energy at the back end. They had a tendency to die." Jaws suggested Flynn "needs" an effective play-action passing game to be successful, which isn't dissimilar from Matt Cassel. We don't believe Flynn will last more than eight starts in Oakland.

Did Jaws mention anything that we don't know yet?

But he looks like Matt Damon. Therefore he must be good!

Flynn demoted to Raiders' No. 3 QB; Pryor will start

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000254614/article/flynn-demoted-to-raiders-no-3-qb-pryor-will-start

Oakland Raiders coach Dennis Allen's critical postgame comments about Matt Flynn's poor play was a bad omen for Flynn. On Wednesday, we learned how bad.

Matthew McGloin, an undrafted rookie quarterback, wastaking second-team snaps ahead of Flynn during the portion of practice that is open to the media, according to ESPN. Terrelle Pryor, who is returning from a concussion, was back with the starters. Allen confirmed to reporters that Pryor will start Sunday night against the San Diego Chargers.

Flynn's demotion is a strong statement by Allen. Oakland's front office gave up a draft pick and more than $6 million to acquire Flynn this offseason, and the coaching staff now values him less than an undrafted rookie. Allen believes Flynn isn't even good enough to be a backup. General manager Reggie McKenzie also drafted Tyler Wilson in the fourth round. Wilson was released, and he now resides on the practice squad.

"It is what it is. It didn't work out," Allen told reporters about Flynn's demotion.

It's fair to wonder if Allen and McKenzie are on the same page when it comes to quarterback evaluation.

Dam, he isn't even good enough to be the #2 guy. This guy just can't catch a break; or maybe he just can't throw a ball :shrug: He's was projected the starter for two different teams in 2 years and got beat out each time. His hopes and dreams for being a starting QB in this league are probably shattered.

Pat My Groin is gonna be an allstar in this league.

There were Charger fans calling for this guy to come to San Diego this offseason because they were certain he'd be better than Rivers. What a joke.

There were Charger fans calling for this guy to come to San Diego this offseason because they were certain he'd be better than Rivers. What a joke.

:yao:

I really don't think he's that bad. I think he would have been good in Seattle, but he got injured during the offseason and Wilson played so well he never got a chance. I mean he's definitely not a guy who can carry the offense, and he needs pieces around him. He doesn't have that in Oakland. Plus from what I understand the offensive line blows harder than Green Bay's down in Oakland.

I remember that. Our fans are easily the most fickle of all.