Omerta

What Are Your Realistic Expectations For Your Team?

new England has no WR and Baltimore is a team that rode luck to the Super Bowl. I see a new tier of top teams in the AFC in the bengals, texans, Denver and Miami. I don't see how any team is going to keep up with Denver now especially with some of the reports coming out of mini camps and such.

I think Amendola can be better than Welker :shrug: Runs good routes, just as shifty, faster, can play outside and inside, goes up and attacks the ball unlike Welker — just needs to stay healthy, which is a legit flaw as of now. But can't wait to see him with a legit QB.

You just sound salty about that L in the playoffs regarding the Ravens. You're weighig reports in mini camp as to why no one is gonna keep up with the Broncos? Stahp it slime. You're drunk. The Broncos are gonna be good, but come on dude. You're acting like no one has a chance.

new England has no WR

Even if what you said was true... where have you been? Bradys had mediocre wideouts for most of his career and turned them all into serviceable players.

Good God, just looked at the 2006 Patriots and the weapons Brady had were embarrassing. :laugh:

Edited by Bay

new England has no WR and Baltimore is a team that rode luck to the Super Bowl. I see a new tier of top teams in the AFC in the bengals, texans, Denver and Miami. I don't see how any team is going to keep up with Denver now especially with some of the reports coming out of mini camps and such.

This must be your first year following football.

Let me explain. Last year it was the same old song and dance. It was," Oh my god the Broncos are going to be unstoppable. They have the line, the running game, the secondary, the bookend pass rushers, and the ability to cover TE's" You would swear to god that Jesus came down and made the Bronco's this unstoppable team.

And rode luck ? How many TD's did Trindon Holliday have before the Ravens game ? 2. The whole season. Then he had two in one game. Where is Denver fans crying luck on that against one of the best ST's groups in the league.

That bomb to Jacoby was not having disciplined players. Lets not act like Rahim Moore is some All-pro DB who rarely gets fooled. They guy is a second year player who experienced growing pains and one was in a big game. It is not like he slipped and fell, he made a dumb decision.

I guess it was luck that Peyton threw that OT pick that sealed it ? Probably so.

As to Brady and NE. Did you see and of his last 10 seasons ? He had an all pro who had been forgotten about in Randy as his best receiver and that is the only time he had a good WR. What did he do ? Oh he set records ? So Brady has been prolific any way no ? Lets look at some of his receivers. Brandon Tate, Donte Stallworth, David Givens, Matthew Slater, Julian Edelman, Sam Aiken, Joey Galloway (at the tender age of 94), Jabar Gaffney, Kelley Washington, and Reche Caldwell who the last time he was good was at Florida with Jab and Grossman. That is a long list of All-Pro's. You are going to be hard pressed to find someone who hates Brady more than I do but to think something as little as no WR is going to stop Brady is ludicrous.

• Upvote 2

Even if what you said was true... where have you been? Bradys had mediocre wideouts for most of his career and turned them all into serviceable players.

Good God, just looked at the 2006 Patriots and the weapons Brady had were embarrassing. :laugh:

In the past 6 years he has had a mediocre cast and one or two main contributers. They could bring in outside wr after outside wr who would fail and Brady would have to force feed Welker. Then came the TE who can't stay healthy. When we get to December and gronkowski, Hernandez and ammandola are all injured we will see how good the offense is. All those years when Brady had nothing around him they packed a top 10 defense and a running game so it's not like they had nothing

This must be your first year following football.

Let me explain. Last year it was the same old song and dance. It was," Oh my god the Broncos are going to be unstoppable. They have the line, the running game, the secondary, the bookend pass rushers, and the ability to cover TE's" You would swear to god that Jesus came down and made the Bronco's this unstoppable team.

And rode luck ? How many TD's did Trindon Holliday have before the Ravens game ? 2. The whole season. Then he had two in one game. Where is Denver fans crying luck on that against one of the best ST's groups in the league.

That bomb to Jacoby was not having disciplined players. Lets not act like Rahim Moore is some All-pro DB who rarely gets fooled. They guy is a second year player who experienced growing pains and one was in a big game. It is not like he slipped and fell, he made a dumb decision.

I guess it was luck that Peyton threw that OT pick that sealed it ? Probably so.

As to Brady and NE. Did you see and of his last 10 seasons ? He had an all pro who had been forgotten about in Randy as his best receiver and that is the only time he had a good WR. What did he do ? Oh he set records ? So Brady has been prolific any way no ? Lets look at some of his receivers. Brandon Tate, Donte Stallworth, David Givens, Matthew Slater, Julian Edelman, Sam Aiken, Joey Galloway (at the tender age of 94), Jabar Gaffney, Kelley Washington, and Reche Caldwell who the last time he was good was at Florida with Jab and Grossman. That is a long list of All-Pro's. You are going to be hard pressed to find someone who hates Brady more than I do but to think something as little as no WR is going to stop Brady is ludicrous.

I already posted about Brady.

The only thing that stopped Denver is that they went almost 10 weeks without any serious competition. We didn't have a tough game after week 6. Now after adding even more talent and getting the young base of the team the experience of losing in the playoffs like that it won't happen again. I've said this before, it was a tough end of the year but was probably the best thing for the team overall.

Minimum: 10-6 and wildcard

Expect: 12-4 and division crown

Beyond expectation: 14-2 and HFA

I expect this team is going to have to learn to be frontrunners. Last year, they were underdogs most of the time against good teams. This year, the Pats are not favorites if they come to Seattle.

Seattle has been consistently breaking down the next hurdles systematically and rapidly. If that continues, I can see them really dominating this season. If they start the year like they ended last year, they could be a juggernaut in the making. Wilson seems impervious to expectation and even when we were winning big, he was never subject to acting/thinking that we had arrived. It was always a sign that the team needs to work harder.

I have complete faith that when this season starts, and the weight of expectations come down on this team, Wilson will be willing the team to meet them. I don't see him allowing the team to get caught up in press clippings. So far, all signs point to a hungry team that is not taking this opportunity for granted.

This team went 11-5 last year. Spotting the league some wins over the first eight games. We also didn't fare well in the division, going 3-3. So we went 8-2 v. the rest of the NFL. This is a team that should do better than 3-3 in the NFC West.

11 wins, super bowl victory

I already posted about Brady.

The only thing that stopped Denver is that they went almost 10 weeks without any serious competition. We didn't have a tough game after week 6. Now after adding even more talent and getting the young base of the team the experience of losing in the playoffs like that it won't happen again. I've said this before, it was a tough end of the year but was probably the best thing for the team overall.

Haha you likes using this excuse dont you ?

Ok lets say we are in an alternate universe and we shall call it...Reality. If not for that pathetic ass schedule would you have even been the 1 seed ? You said it yourself you were not tested passed week 6 so you dont think you could have dropped one or 2 more games in that 11 game run facing a tougher division ? Your cake ass schedule may be the reason you lost but it may well be the reason you had a bye as well, but I do not see you saying anything about that.

And yeah all those young players may have learned but the guy chucking the rock is notorious for scrubbing it up come playoff time. You neglect to also mention that the bomb did not lose the game for you. Peyton throwing an interception did.

Second what is all this talent ? You added Wes Welker. New England always does this every year with a prolific QB and guess what. It makes a marginal difference at best. It is not like Peytons arm can throw the damn ball 800 times per season, so how much do you think his attempts actually go up ? He will throw what 50 more balls ? Maybe 35 more completions ? So is that really going to make a difference when they already had two really good WR's and a pass catching TE's ?

DRC has had a sum total of one good year, Vasquez is meh, Quinten Jammer is looking for one last paycheck, and Stewart Bradley got beat out by rookies and second year dudes.

However it is the offseason and if you want to be paper champs dont be surprised, but that whole not being tested thing. Guess what ? You schedule is easy as fuck this year too. So you better hope that wasnt the reason because it will happen again. If you do get tested you have 4 teams in the AFC that can snatch that 1 or 2 seed form you and you will find yourself playing on the road.

@ every single one of Crash's posts...

JackNicholsonLaughing.gif

Know what would be ideal? If NBB didn't recruit prepubescent teens. Christ.

Baltimore and New England have the two most important things in common consistency and clutch jn the playoffs. You do realize that when Baltimore wins in the playoffs for the sixth straight year they will begin breaking all time playoff win records. Brady has been consistently winning year after year and belicheck and tomlin are the only two coaches who can really challenge harbaugh in the afc.

You mention a bunch of overrated teams as taking over the afc here. Denver added an aging slot receiver to replace another which will mean nothing because Peyton does not play well in the playoffs which is the only thing that matters. Oh he'll have 4000+ yards and 37+ Tds and another first rd playoff debacle.

Houston and cincy don't have the qbs to step up and win playoff games. Miami is a serious joke. You must be watching too much espn. They "won" the offseason by overpaying as many middling free agents as possible. Because that worked so well for the eagles dream team. While Ozzie brings in underrated tough impact players like doom, canty, spears huff etc all for less than just Kruger got from the browns. Face fact Ozzie is playing chess and these other teams are playing checkers. This raves team is unquestionably better than last years.

Doom is about as tough as wet toilet paper.

Bitter? I'm sure Peyton will love being reacquainted on opening day. Without Denver's fluke returns that game is a blowout. I expect the same.

Charger fan here. New to the forum.

I think we're one of the toughest teams in the league to project this coming season. And it's not just that we have a mostly new coaching staff, offensive philosophy, and ample roster turnover. We also have an enigma of a QB. Most teams in our position are starting over- we're riding with Rivers. So will a slightly improved OL, running game, and the reduction of 7 step drops rehabilitate him (assuming those things happen)? Or are all of the excuses (mostly valid ones I think) covering up the reality that he's done?

I tend to lean towards the former. So given that, my expectations are 10-6 and pushing for a WC spot. It helps that we have an easy schedule and a young, emerging defense. Though if the line isn't an improvement over 2012, or if it is better but Rivers doesn't respond to that improvement, we will easily be under .500.

I don't know anything about your prior opinions, but I have run into a number of Denver fans who were eager to keep Dum during the uncertainty, but went on to disparage him once that contract debacle went down and he signed with Baltimore.

Were you down on him during the portions of the offseason when he was still a Bronco?

I think we're one of the toughest teams in the league to project this coming season. And it's not just that we have a mostly new coaching staff, offensive philosophy, and ample roster turnover. We also have an enigma of a QB. Most teams in our position are starting over- we're riding with Rivers. So will a slightly improved OL, running game, and the reduction of 7 step drops rehabilitate him (assuming those things happen)? Or are all of the excuses (mostly valid ones I think) covering up the reality that he's done?

I tend to lean towards the former. So given that, my expectations are 10-6 and pushing for a WC spot. It helps that we have an easy schedule and a young, emerging defense. Though if the line isn't an improvement over 2012, or if it is better but Rivers doesn't respond to that improvement, we will easily be under .500.

Welcome to the boards! (Socal happy)

In my opinion,your whole offense is an enigma,not just your QB. There are a lot of questionable things,starting with your RB siutation and WR corps.

Welcome to the boards! (Socal happy)

In my opinion,your whole offense is an enigma,not just your QB. There are a lot of questionable things,starting with your RB siutation and WR corps.

Thanks sir! (though I'm a socal transplant... in Montana... which is better)

I would agree with you. There are things I think I can confidently be optimistic about on offense (the scheme helping Rivers, improved run blocking, the WR corps) and other thinkg I am confidently pessimistic about (becoming anything other than average in pass pro, the RB situation). But it is all very much up in the air.

The Falcons have done a great job this off season. Added Steven Jackson and Osi Umenyiora (Which I'm still unsure about), and they went into the draft knowing they needed to get a couple corners who could make an early impact.

After reaching the NFC Championship last season, and playing the way we did for half the game during both playoff games, it's tough to come up with anything too exciting for the team. I think everything is looking up right now for the Falcons though, and a realistic expectation for them is to make it to the NFC Championship game and go from there. They have the team to do it, they need to learn from their mistakes at this point and capitalize on the talent they have.

The Falcons have done a great job this off season. Added Steven Jackson and Osi Umenyiora (Which I'm still unsure about), and they went into the draft knowing they needed to get a couple corners who could make an early impact.

After reaching the NFC Championship last season, and playing the way we did for half the game during both playoff games, it's tough to come up with anything too exciting for the team. I think everything is looking up right now for the Falcons though, and a realistic expectation for them is to make it to the NFC Championship game and go from there. They have the team to do it, they need to learn from their mistakes at this point and capitalize on the talent they have.

If I was a Falcons fan, I would be concerned with two things:

1) Age/dropoff of key offensive players. Thinking here of Jackson and Gonzalez. Also, Baker was studly last year but will his back hold up?

2) Pass rush. Where's it coming from? The mix at DT seems pretty decent, but no one on the outside would scare me. Mike Nolan can truly make a whole lot out of a little with scheme, but the longer a team tries to get by that way the tougher it gets. Teams catch on.

If those two things sort themselves out, Atlanta should be tough to beat. If one pans out but the other does not, I still like your chances. If both go south, I wouldn't hold my breath.

I don't think rivers is the problem. They had a bad o line. All of their offensive weapons have been disappointments if late. Meachem, gates, Mathews. And they were running an archaic offensive system. Similar to what was happening in Baltimore before Cameron was fired. Unfortunately for rivers they need to rebuild.

He's a good pass rusher, but that's about it. Against the run he's a major liability and he harmed us more than he helped in the playoffs. If there was a way to keep him for a lower amount of money, I would have been fine with that, teams need pass rushers. However, the money he got guaranteed from the agent debacle would have been about what we should be paying him yearly, so obviously we couldn't keep him around after that.

Bitter? I'm sure Peyton will love being reacquainted on opening day. Without Denver's fluke returns that game is a blowout. I expect the same.

You're overrating Dumervil if you think he's some all star pass rusher. He's good, don't get me wrong, but he picks up a lot of sacks against teams with poor o-lines. Dumervil will not do good against teams with a good LT, that's actually why we used to move him around so much. If his bull rush isn't working on your LT then you might as well move him to the other side and hope he's fast enough to beat the RT. Besides, Dumervil is better at rushing the passer with his hand in the dirt anyway, are you really going to keep him standing up in your 3-4? I know for a fact we didn't back 2009 when he had 17 sacks.

I don't think rivers is the problem. They had a bad o line. All of their offensive weapons have been disappointments if late. Meachem, gates, Mathews. And they were running an archaic offensive system. Similar to what was happening in Baltimore before Cameron was fired. Unfortunately for rivers they need to rebuild.

I don't either. But it is "put up or shut up" time. I personally think that he's going to rebound and be just fine. But I would be a pollyana not to recognize the possibility that he won't.

Thankfully, Rivers has excelled in the past with an average supporting cast- so we don't necessarily need to be totally rebuilt on offense for him to get back to business. In 2010, his OL was arguably below average, VJ didn't play for most of the year, the rest of the receiving corps was ravaged by injury, the running game was sub-par, and Rivers had a season worthy of MVP considersation.

So I do believe that the pieces in place for 2013 should at least give him a shot at shaping back up in the here in now. Which is fortunate, because he doesn't have time to wait around for a total rebuild.

You're overrating Dumervil if you think he's some all star pass rusher. He's good, don't get me wrong, but he picks up a lot of sacks against teams with poor o-lines. Dumervil will not do good against teams with a good LT, that's actually why we used to move him around so much. If his bull rush isn't working on your LT then you might as well move him to the other side and hope he's fast enough to beat the RT. Besides, Dumervil is better at rushing the passer with his hand in the dirt anyway, are you really going to keep him standing up in your 3-4? I know for a fact we didn't back 2009 when he had 17 sacks.

Most 3-4 defenses go to even fronts in their sub packages. And the majority of sub packages are used in passing situations (50+% nowadays). I would wager that a good chunk of most 3-4 lineback sacks come when they are actually in the 3 point stance.

Actually the ravens do exactly what mike Nolan did in 2009. He will line up as both. The ravens run a hybrid defense with versatile players(remember where Nolan came from?). He is also lining up opposite a fully healthy Suggs. Pretty much the best all around olb in the game. Who exactly does miller have now?