moocao

Current player in the league that would be best coach

From what I've seen, Ryan Clark does comes off as very intelligent and it's very clear that he knows the game. Possibly a defensive back coach :shrug:

He just came to mind as a guy who has made himself very good in probably the most complex defensive scheme around, but wasn't necessarily just an uber-talent who it came easy for. And generally DB's come away with really well-rounded understandings of how the unit works as a whole. I could see him becoming a DB's coach somewhere and then possibly climbing the ladder.

Eric Weddle seems plausible too, for similar reasons.

Yes he did. What point are you trying to make?

My point was geared towards those who said Quarterbacks do not make the best coaches. Dan Reeves played quarterback in college and Gary Kubiak is another off the top of my head. Looking at a list of players turned coaches they seem to come from all over the field except for WR and RB. I can't think of any of those that have become head coaches.

I think possible Andre Johnson due to the fact that he hasn't got a ring yet. his years of playing for a poor Texans side will have taught him what it is like to lose and how painful it is. hopefully he will get a ring before he retires but if he doesn't he will have that extra will to win so that he can finally get a ring. he looks like he will be able to help younger players, as he is tutoring DeAndre Hopkins to be his number 2 and heir apparent.

Your sig seriously needs to be toned down British. 3 gifs and that big is way too much.

Troy Polamalu

Tony Gonzalez

Jeff Saturday

Edited by BC

Lol, such a homer pick. There's no way anyone can proclaim a rookie can be a coach one day :facepalm:

That's a pretty ignorant statement, considering you said RANGA nailed it with his. You don't think Russell has excellent people skills or an innate ability to manage different personalities while getting the best out of others? He transferred to Wisconsin and was voted a captain by his teammates within weeks of arriving, along with mastering a new offense and playbook in the same time frame. He did pretty much the same thing in Seattle. He's also highly intelligent and a tireless worker... all qualities that great coaches have. Me being a Seahawk fan doesn't negate the truth of the pick.

That's a pretty ignorant statement, considering you said RANGA nailed it with his. You don't think Russell has excellent people skills or an innate ability to manage different personalities while getting the best out of others? He transferred to Wisconsin and was voted a captain by his teammates within weeks of arriving, along with mastering a new offense and playbook in the same time frame. He did pretty much the same thing in Seattle. He's also highly intelligent and a tireless worker... all qualities that great coaches have. Me being a Seahawk fan doesn't negate the truth of the pick.

Dude, he's been in the league for ONE year. One successful year can not truly indicate if a player can transition to coaching and have success. Yes, he did show us great people skills and leadership abilities in his first year. I also do believe he will continue in that light, but still has a long time before the end of his story which leaves a lot room for unknown. One year does not define a career my friend. Also, from a schematic point of view, it's no way in telling if he will get the mental part down pact enough to be a coach; understanding the intricacies and being good at the chess match. While you did bring up that he adjusted well and progressed every week, don't disregard that he was exposed to a rookie friendly scheme. There is no way that ANY ROOKIE can be proclaimed as a future coach. They just simply don't have enough experience for anyone to make that claim. He's still learning the ins and outs of the game for God's sake.

Edited by dutchff7

My point was geared towards those who said Quarterbacks do not make the best coaches. Dan Reeves played quarterback in college and Gary Kubiak is another off the top of my head. Looking at a list of players turned coaches they seem to come from all over the field except for WR and RB. I can't think of any of those that have become head coaches.

Mike Tomlin played WR in college but didn't play in the NFL, not sure about RBs but I'm sure there's at least one

Edited by oochymp

I see no reason why Manning couldn't be a great coach. He knows the game as well as anyone, and has all the people skills. At least it seems that way.

I see no reason why Manning couldn't be a great coach. He knows the game as well as anyone, and has all the people skills. At least it seems that way.

Maybe so, but players of Manning's magnitude go into broadcasting after they've retired from the game. Better pay and much less hours/stress than coaching.

Dude, he's been in the league for ONE year. One successful year can not truly indicate if a player can transition to coaching and have success. Yes, he did show us great people skills and leadership abilities in his first year. I also do believe he will continue in that light, but still has a long time before the end of his story which leaves a lot room for unknown. One year does not define a career my friend. Also, from a schematic point of view, it's no way in telling if he will get the mental part down pact enough to be a coach; understanding the intricacies and being good at the chess match. While you did bring up that he adjusted well and progressed every week, don't disregard that he was exposed to a rookie friendly scheme. There is no way that ANY ROOKIE can be proclaimed as a future coach. They just simply don't have enough experience for anyone to make that claim. He's still learning the ins and outs of the game for God's sake.

I didn't say he could be a coach RIGHT NOW, nor was the OP stipulating that in the prompt. After his playing days are over, which more than likely isn't going to be for at least a decade, he would know the game inside and out. All I was saying, is that he has the QUALITIES that most great coaches possess, which in my opinion, leads me to believe he would make a great coach down the line... not that he WILL be. Summer donna.

I didn't say he could be a coach RIGHT NOW, nor was the OP stipulating that in the prompt. After his playing days are over, which more than likely isn't going to be for at least a decade, he would know the game inside and out. All I was saying, is that he has the QUALITIES that most great coaches possess, which in my opinion, leads me to believe he would make a great coach down the line... not that he WILL be. Summer donna.

He hasn't played long enough to make a fair assessment. The bold is a huge reach and it's no way anyone can determine that with a player that has only one year of experience in the league.

I'm not sure any amount of playing will give you a fair assessment dutch. Its the guys that wash out early or are role players that usually enter the coaching ranks it seems so who knows? :shrug:

I'm not sure any amount of playing will give you a fair assessment dutch. Its the guys that wash out early or are role players that usually enter the coaching ranks it seems so who knows? :shrug:

True because at the end of the day, this is all hypothetical. It's already been pointed out that league success doesn't translate to coaching success. It's hypothetical, but we have to base our guesses off of something. Whether it's success in the league, communication between teammates, seeing players school/teach other players, if they're a student of the game etc. That's why I choose London Fletcher as a Linebackers coach. He's been in the league going on his 16th season. He's played at a high level his entire career and you can tell from how he plays the game, he's a student of the game. His instincts. knowing where the ball is going (what play it is), audibling plays to put his defense in better situations (chess match), lining guys up in the right position, teaching guys etc. Fifteen years in the league, he's seen it all and knows the linebacker position in and out. I think he would be a great linebackers coach. Does it mean he would though? Not necessarily, but I have good substance to base my claim off of. Now as for a rookie, I don't think one year in the league can provide enough substance to make that claim. Proclaiming a rookie to be a future coach just seems like a bit of a stretch to me. That seems like an impossible assessment.

Edited by dutchff7

The hardest part of doing all this is most of the things that makes a person great are the intangibles that cannot be taught. It is rare you see it but on occasion it does. you see the guy who for 4 or 5 years is struggling and gets cut goes to a new system and a light bulb turns on. Whether it be scenery, scheme, work ethic or understanding of the game for whatever reason it hits.

Guys like Peyton may or may not be good coaches. The problem is try teaching a rookie who is 22 to have the work ethic and film study that Peyton has had since HE was 22. You cant teach that. You can tell them what to look for and tendencies that you will see. However seeing the game through the eyes of a guy like Peyton whose work ethic is renowned and now views the game through the eyes of a HOF player, it has become easy. A rookie wont understand that. His best hope is to hope the work ethic translates well. You could have people with all the talent in the world and send them to Peyton, but he cant make them spend the personal and offseason hours in the film room, or the taking notes, or even after 15 years still trying to perfect his craft.

Ray Lewis is the exact same on defense in relationship to the work ethic. Also you can have an amazing MLB prospect, but you wont teach the passion.

Or hines Ward. He may be small and could coach guys far superior athletically, however good luck teaching his route running, hands, and unmatched toughness at the position.

All of these guys were great and none of them were top of the heap athletically. However all of them made it easier for guys built like them to get in because they showed you dont have to be an olympian to compete. Ray was to small and now he is the mold for what you want. Fast, strong, and intelligent. Hines has shown those small outside guys with great hands and a chip on their shoulder can hang with the best at his position even if he is not 6'5" with 4.3 speed. Peyton is the exception in the fact that coming out of college he was pretty much the prototype for what you wanted. Which is funny because he stayed hungry and will be a HOF'er. The guy drafted behind him was the superior athlete and tools for the QB position except for his mind.

It is impossible to teach those things. So this really is a crap shoot. Anybody's guess on who will be a good coach. However I do like to pick the workhorses over the genetic freaks.

True because at the end of the day, this is all hypothetical. It's already been pointed out that league success doesn't translate to coaching success. It's hypothetical, but we have to base our guesses off of something. Whether it's success in the league, communication between teammates, seeing players school/teach other players, if they're a student of the game etc. That's why I choose London Fletcher as a Linebackers coach. He's been in the league going on his 16th season. He's played at a high level his entire career and you can tell from how he plays the game, he's a student of the game. His instincts. knowing where the ball is going (what play it is), audibling plays to put his defense in better situations (chess match), lining guys up in the right position, teaching guys etc. Fifteen years in the league, he's seen it all and knows the linebacker position in and out. I think he would be a great linebackers coach. Does it mean he would though? Not necessarily, but I have good substance to base my claim off of. Now as for a rookie, I don't think one year in the league can provide enough substance to make that claim. Proclaiming a rookie to be a future coach just seems like a bit of a stretch to me. That seems like an impossible assessment.

Which is exactly why I went with Russell. The dude is rock solid with his leadership, work ethic, and adaptability... not just in the one year he's been in the league, but everywhere he's played. If you've read what his past coaches and acquaintances say about him, or seen some of his HS or college interviews, you'd know that he's the same person now that he was back then. Not to mention time in the league really doesn't have much to do with being a good coach, it's 90% about the qualities that person possesses. Hell, look at Mike Leach... most would consider him to be a great college coach (except for that douche Craig James), yet Leach never played college or pro football, same with Charlie Weis.