Bucman

Michael Strahan or Simeon Rice

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who is better?

• Michael Strahan
    • Simeon Rice

Sapp and Tiki arguing over who is the better player, got me thinking that this may be closer than some think. Strahan played 3 more season and faced RTs most of his career. While Rice played 3 less seasons and faced LTs most of his careers. Rice had more double digit sack seasons, but Strahan had the most sacks ever in a season. 19 more sacks than Rice and 30 more games to do it, facing lesser talented tackles.

Simeon Rice -

122 career sacks, 28 FFs - 12 seasons.

Michael Strahan -

141.5 career sacks 24 FFs - 15 seasons.

Edited by Bucman

PFR shows different forced fumble stats. Where are you getting those from?

PFR shows different forced fumble stats. Where are you getting those from?

NFL.com

EDIT: Just looked on ESPN and NFL.com was way off. Ill fix it.

Edited by Bucman

Why don't people make polls threads votes public? Who wants anonymous voters on a public forum? Don't forget to check the box! lol

Give me Simeon Rice. Simeon put together a longer stretch of dominance having more consecutive double digit sack seasons. Simeon also played 3 less years than Strahan and is only 19.5 sacks short of him; 122-141.5. Not to mention Simeon was hindered with injuries the last 3 seasons of his career. So he really only put together 9 seasons of work and it almost stacks up against Strahan's 15 seasons. Strahan struggled a lot in the beginning of his career. Then they begin moving him around. Strahan got 21.5 sacks against the Eagles and 2/3 of those sacks Jon Runyan; our RT. Strahan got 14.5 sacks against Jon Runyan in 17 meetings. Runyan accounted for 10% of Strahan's total sacks. Strahan beat up on Runyan early on but Runyan got the better of Strahan in the latter part of their careers. Runyan was a quality player but did get abused at times. He allowed more sacks than Tra Thomas and Thomas said that Simeon was the best player he ever played against. Strahan definitely seems like a cool dude and has a very likable personality. Strahan was good, but give me Simeon.

Edited by dutchff7

Yeah I'm with Dutch on this one. Rice is not as much in the NFL fan consciousness right now because Strahan is visible in the media and won a SB fairly recently, but I think the role he played and the production is more impressive.

But I do agree with Tiki just the same- Sapp is an idiot. And when Sapp comes back and calls Tiki an idiot, I'll agree with that too.

I hate the Giants and I hate Strahan, but anyone who answers this question with anything other than Strahan is retarded and just looking at the sexy stats like sacks and FF's per year. Strahan was a dominant pass rusher. He had inside moves, outside moves, speed moves and power moves but he was also gap disciplined and a pretty damn good run defender. Too many Bucs fans on this site......

Ouch... I guess I'm retarded. Would explain a lot.

I hate the Giants and I hate Strahan, but anyone who answers this question with anything other than Strahan is retarded and just looking at the sexy stats like sacks and FF's per year. Strahan was a dominant pass rusher. He had inside moves, outside moves, speed moves and power moves but he was also gap disciplined and a pretty damn good run defender. Too many Bucs fans on this site......

I don't think it's an obvious choice at all, but I would go with Strahan also. :yep:

• Upvote 1

Compelling argument, sir. lawl

Compelling argument, sir. lawl

I guess you're right, getting sacks and forcing fumbles is a DE's only job. How could I forget? Especially a strong side DE...

• Upvote 1

I guess you're right, getting sacks and forcing fumbles is a DE's only job. How could I forget? Especially a strong side DE...

While people have pointed to production as being in Rice's favor, I haven't seen anyone say that that's all that matters. Can you prove or support that Strahan was better in other facets of the game? Or might it be a matter of opinion? Because I honestly can't remember anything about their games outside of pass rushing. But I will say that calling everyone who votes opposite you "retards" isn't likely to convince anyone.

While people have pointed to production as being in Rice's favor, I haven't seen anyone say that that's all that matters. Can you prove or support that Strahan was better in other facets of the game? Or might it be a matter of opinion? Because I honestly can't remember anything about their games outside of pass rushing. But I will say that calling everyone who votes opposite you "retards" isn't likely to convince anyone.

Another factor is the laundry list of great and good players Rice was constantly surrounded by. Booger McFarland ate up blocks, Sapp got a lot of attention, teams had to account for Brooks, who played right behind Rice, the bucs always had a good secondary too with arguably two hall of famers. Strahan played with some really good players who had some nice little runs, but it was Strahan who made the Giants defenses back then. He was always clearly the best player on the team aside from those couple of dominant seasons by Tiki Barber maybe.

As far as how familiar I am with both players. I'm extremely familiar with Strahan. He routinely shat on the Eagles and the Giants being in the NFCE and within 50 miles of Philly I see more Giants games than any team but the Eagles really.

The Bucs and the Eagles also had a pretty intense rivalry outside of their divisions in the early and middle part of the last decade. I watched a lot of Bucs games too. Watched them absolutely break my teams hearts in some huge games.

Anyway, like I was saying, Strahan was clearly better.

Strahan. He was also great in run defense. More complete player.

Edited by monstersofthemidway

Strahan may have faced lesser talent on the right side of the line during his career, but there were times that the Giants swapped him over to the left and he dominated them just the same. This definitely isn't an obvious choice when you get right down to the numbers, but I think Strahan was definitely the better of the two.

Strahan may have faced lesser talent on the right side of the line during his career, but there were times that the Giants swapped him over to the left and he dominated them just the same. This definitely isn't an obvious choice when you get right down to the numbers, but I think Strahan was definitely the better of the two.

My understanding is that the whole reason why he was so unproductive to start his career was because the Giants had him at RE and it wasn't working out. So they moved him to LE and it was a much better fit and the sacks started coming.

That is what happened. Some guys are just naturally fit to one side of the field as opposed to the other. We see it all the time with offensive lineman, and it's nearly the same for defensive lineman. The thing is though, it's pretty well known (At least in New York) that when Strahan moved opposite, he still was the same beast that he was on the right side.

Simeon Rice was great, but I'm not buying that he was the better of the two on any given Sunday. I think Sapp went out of his way to say he would take Rice twice on Sundays.

Ugh I hate this time of the season.

This is the "Quien es mas macho. Fernando Lamas O Ricardo Montalban?" part of the offseason.

Strahan obviously! He's one of the top 5 best defensive ends of all time. He's got a career total of 141.5 sacks (5th All-Time), 1 Saftey, 24 forced fumbles, 667 Tackles, 187 assisted tackles, 4 Interceptions, 2 TD's, Single Season Sacks Record Holder, a Super Bowl Ring, and played for 1 team his entire career.

Though I think Bruce Smith vs. Reggie White would have made a better dicussion? IMO!

Edited by East495

Wut.

Strahan is not one of the top-5 best defensive players of all-time.

Wut.

Strahan is not one of the top-5 best defensive players of all-time.

OOPs...lol Your right! Thanks for catching that! I meant to say defensive ends/pass rushers all-time. Sorry my mistake! Typed to fast...I'll fix that.

Strahan obviously! He's one of the top 5 best defensive ends of all time. He's got a career total of 141.5 sacks (5th All-Time), 1 Saftey, 24 forced fumbles, 667 Tackles, 187 assisted tackles, 4 Interceptions, 2 TD's, Single Season Sacks Record Holder, a Super Bowl Ring, and played for 1 team his entire career.

Though I think Bruce Smith vs. Reggie White would have made a better dicussion? IMO!

The other side can simply come back with a career total of 122 sacks (more than Strahan per season), 1 safety, 35 forced fumbles, 389 tackles, 81 assists, 5 interceptions, a Super Bowl Ring, and played RE against left tackles his entire career. Not sure what the 1 team for an entire career thing is suppoed to indicate.

I think the point is that it's not obvious at all in either direction. They both have areas where they top the other.

Rice also had the benefit on playing on the same line that included Warren Sapp who took up double teams and was a force as a pass rusher as well as booger mcfarland.

Rice also had the benefit on playing on the same line that included Warren Sapp who took up double teams and was a force as a pass rusher as well as booger mcfarland.

Did Strahan face a lot more double teams?

I understand that Rice played with talented guys around him, but you don't get unblocked sacks in that Tampa 2. He always had to go through the left tackle. And I'm sure he saw his share of doubles, being the most dangerous edge rusher on a team that rarely blitzed.

Strahan next question

Strahan next question

Next question: How can you be so sure?