NaTaS

What team had the most punishing/bruising backfield of all-time

I was thinking about this while playing some Tecmo Bowl and played with KC. At one time they had Christian Okoye and Word. Pretty damn hard hitting backfield tandem. Dolphins had Larry Csonka and Mercury Morris.

Not looking for the best tandem, just the hardest hitting or punishing backfield.

• Upvote 1

Zack Crockett and Tyrone Wheatley were nasty off the top of my head.

• Upvote 2

How about Earl Campbell. By himself.

• Upvote 1

How about Earl Campbell. By himself.

That works. I was looking at tandems, but it doesn't necessarily have to be.

He just came to mind the moment I thought of a bruising back. That goal line collision between him and Jack Tatum is one of football's best moments.

Okay, okay...Earl Campbell + that other guy. :p

Both of the ones you mentioned were the ones I was thinking of as well, although I thought Morris was less bruising and more blinding...or maybe that was Kiick. God, that backfield was stacked.

How about Bo and Marcus (maybe more punishing than bruising)? And wasn't Otis Anderson part of a strong duo? Can't remember the other guy's name. Hampton came around too late for that to be considered a duo.

Jerome Bettis and Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala have to be mentioned. 5'11"/252 and 6'0"/252, respectively.

• Upvote 2

Any backfield with Craig "Ironhead" Heyward.

• Upvote 1

I was thinking about this while playing some Tecmo Bowl and played with KC. At one time they had Christian Okoye and Word. Pretty damn hard hitting backfield tandem. Dolphins had Larry Csonka and Mercury Morris.

Not looking for the best tandem, just the hardest hitting or punishing backfield.

NaTaS...how about Jim Brown and Ernie Green? Brown 6-2 230lb, Green 6-2 205lb. Two big backs..Green was a really good runner and receiver, a superb blocker and opened up a lot of holes for Brown! And Brown, Jeez..he just bulldozed his way through defenses, hell opposing defenses were getting injured just trying to tackle this guy. You either gang tackle him or else your not bringing him down...

• Upvote 2

Czonka and Kiick was the first group that came to mind.

Edited by RazorStar
  • Upvote 1

Good topic. There's been some great combos through the years. As an older Vikings fan I can recall Bill Brown and Dave Osborne as two tough, bruising hard runners. Bill Brown was like a human bowling ball-5'11, 230 who got the majority of the carries. And then you have Dave Osborn who was Very tough to bring down, very strong and agile. Both Brown and Osbourn caused nothing but problems back in the day, for most defense's. Plus these two were a major part of the Viking's success of the 1960s and 1970s, the "Purple People Eater" days.

You have to throw in a tandem from today, marshawn lynch(beast mode) and Robert turbin(the turbinator)

You have to throw in a tandem from today, marshawn lynch(beast mode) and Robert turbin(the turbinator)

That's a good call. If Michael runs like I think he can, then that's a backfield composed of three very tough runners.

Jerome Bettis and Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala have to be mentioned. 5'11"/252 and 6'0"/252, respectively.

Damn, I came back to this topic this afternoon to mention The Bus and Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala. The Bus was so damn hard to pull down. He would wear out the D and when you brought in Fuamatu-Ma'afala it was just unfair.

NaTaS...how about Jim Brown and Ernie Green? Brown 6-2 230lb, Green 6-2 205lb. Two big backs..Green was a really good runner and receiver, a superb blocker and opened up a lot of holes for Brown! And Brown, Jeez..he just bulldozed his way through defenses, hell opposing defenses were getting injured just trying to tackle this guy. You either gang tackle him or else your not bringing him down...

I didn't want the homer pick, but you're absolutely right. In those days, JB could run around you or run through you.

Any backfield with Craig "Ironhead" Heyward.

RIP, Ironhead. :(

• Upvote 1

I didn't want the homer pick, but you're absolutely right. In those days, JB could run around you or run through you.

Helps when every player on the field is 20lbs smaller then Jim brown

RIP, Ironhead. :(

Yes indeed.

Some good duos mentioned already.

I'll add Kevin Mack / Ernest Byner from the Browns of the mid-80s.. one of the few tandems to ever go over 1000 each. Both could truck a defender.

Roger Craig was a monstrously strong runner who should be mentioned for Hall of Fame membership but somehow never is, and Tom Rathman. Granted the Niners were known for passing, but both Craig and Rathman could put a guy on his back, and as we've call seen in highlights, Craig could muscle through entire defenses.

~Bang

Actually this is going to sound a bit homerish but I think the most punishing of all time was a one year wonder/mishap for the ravens in 2008.

FB Lorenzo Neal. 5'11" 255

RB. Le'Ron McClain 6'0" 260

RB. Willis Mcgahee 6'0" 235

That running tandem was fucking bruising. Ray Rice was injured which forced our backup FB into a active running role. Mclain had 232 carries and mcgahee had 170 all with Lo Neal blocking. That shit was probably my favorite year as a Ravens fan from a physicality standpoint.

Fred Taylor and MJD were nasty together, though it was short-lived.

Eddie George/Lorenzo Neal was fun to watch, although they didn't stick together very long. Just 2 years.

Actually this is going to sound a bit homerish but I think the most punishing of all time was a one year wonder/mishap for the ravens in 2008.

FB Lorenzo Neal. 5'11" 255

RB. Le'Ron McClain 6'0" 260

RB. Willis Mcgahee 6'0" 235

That running tandem was fucking bruising. Ray Rice was injured which forced our backup FB into a active running role. Mclain had 232 carries and mcgahee had 170 all with Lo Neal blocking. That shit was probably my favorite year as a Ravens fan from a physicality standpoint.

You can also make a case for Jamal Lewis and Chester Taylor, those two made some pair as well.

OR....Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor! Even though they were together for a short time '07-'09. They were, in every sense of the word, the best one-two tandem in the NFL through those years.