OSUViking

Lucid Dreaming

Recently, the idea of lucid dreaming has become particularly attractive to me. I've heard from multiple people that it is possible - even my peers have experienced it. I can't recall experiencing one, but I have read in some places that you can condition yourself to make you more susceptible to lucidity in the dream state. I intend on going through with this conditioning. Hopefully, the lucidity will allow me to explore things that I am either financially or physically incapable of exploring in real life, and possibly even allowing me to explore ideas that I can't quite project onto paper or into my life. This may end up being a massive failure, and I may end up looking stupid, but I do kind of want to try this.

My question: Has anyone else on this board experienced a lucid dream?

My dreams are actually terrible so I stopped doing it.

Did it require any mental conditioning in order to get to the stage where you could enact a lucid dream, or do you just decide before you sleep that you will control the ensuing dream?

Did it require any mental conditioning in order to get to the stage where you could enact a lucid dream, or do you just decide before you sleep that you will control the ensuing dream?

:shrug: I usually dream about what was on my mind last. Or if I was watching something I really got into. I dream about it. Really didn't think about the metal conditioning part.

Most of my dreams are partly-lucid dreams. I don't know if that's normal, but I can usually control what happens and it's always in colour (apparently most dreams are black + white). I can't always choose the particular situation I dream, but once it starts I can almost always influence what happens in it. But then I have dreams where I just can't seem to control anything at all. These ones generally tend to be "bad" dreams, and they freak me out while I'm having them. It's just always been that way. I actually find dreams pretty fascinating. I don't know if they have specific "meanings" like some seem to suggest, but I definitely think they are somehow linked to your very core existence.

For all we know dreams could be memories from a previous life, or a window into a parallel universe. They could represent parts of our soul that we are not even aware of...desires and fears you never knew you had. Maybe when we dream we live another life altogether, and we just haven't evolved enough to figure out how to properly live in them. I don't know...just thinking about them is really cool IMO.

Edited by RANGA
  • Upvote 2

I'd +1 that, but I'm out of up-votes. :(

I'm starting a dream journal now, as doing that apparently keeps your dreams close in terms of memory and makes you more likely to have that dream again. When you become familiar with a dream, you can start to expect it and know when it is occurring.

Dream journal is interesting. I tend to forget about what I was dreaming about almost instantly when I wake up. But sometimes you get a dream so realistic that it takes a few seconds after waking up before realizing you were just dreaming. Like this past weekend I had a dream where I did something stupid at work and got fired, I was scared to death of telling my parents and what I was going to do next. After waking up I had that same feeling of "Omg I'm fucked" until I realized it was just a dream.

On another dream note, one of the few I can remember was years back when I had a dream where I was getting marred, only problem was...I didn't have a bride lol. I was freaking out about how embarrassed I was going to be when no bride appeared, but then one actually did (pretty hot too :smug: ). It was really weird.

• Upvote 1

On another dream note, one of the few I can remember was years back when I had a dream where I was getting marred, only problem was...I didn't have a bride lol. I was freaking out about how embarrassed I was going to be when no bride appeared, but then one actually did (pretty hot too :smug: ). It was really weird.

I can actually remember some dreams from when I was like 5 and 6. Of course, they were all nightmares that scared the living shit out of me.

EDIT: Also, has anyone ever had a dream that was very detailed and realistic, and then they later had almost the exact same experience in real life? For example, I had a dream that the teachers surprised us with a trip to a distant zoo for a field trip. What happened about a month later? They surprised us with news about a field trip to the Cincinnati Zoo... :shifty:

Edited by Vikingfan465

I've only realized I was dreaming mid-dream two or three times in my life. The most recent experience was an incredible feeling even though nothing too eventful occurred in the dream. I'd love to figure out a way to experience it on a more regular basis.

I've only had a few lucid dreams.

Nearly every time when I dream, it feels incredibly real. I can't control the environment and I don't normally realize I'm dreaming. But I have woken up many many times and been disoriented at my surroundings because they weren't what I expected them to be.

But yes, if you want to remember your dreams, you have to write them down. There's an actual psychological reason for it, but you don't normally remember your dreams once you've been awake for even 15 minutes or so.

I do notice that most of my dreams tend to be twisted versions of something I just read or played or watched. Not twisted in a bad way, necessarily, but having read almost an entire book of Wheel of Time in one sitting, that night I had a very remarkable dream that lasted what seemed to be an insanely long time.

This is something else, since we're talking about it, that I'm curious if anyone else has experienced. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes when I dream I even dream that I fall asleep and wake up and the dream keeps going. I've had dreams that the time passed felt that it was in excess of a week. (And those were the times when I was the most disoriented when waking up.)

I'm just curious if its something that happens to other people, or if its just the fact that I have had two near-fatal seizures that may have done something.

What about sleep paralysis? Now that shit is scary.

I've had a few lucid dreams, but I'm not sure if it's something we can control or a scam. Reminds me of an episode of American Dad where Steve knowns when he's having a lucid dream based on a bouncing red ball. When he sees that he is able to control his dream world.

We were talking about Preseason in the IP Chat a few days ago and then had a dream that preseason was here.

It was a game involving the Jets so I tried to wake up. :p

Edited by Bay

Imagine having that during a nightmare.

Imagine having that during a nightmare.

Now watch, it'll happen to me tonight. You sick bastard!

I've had sleep paralysis for sure. Haven't in a long time but I remember it. Lots of people talk about feeling a presence in the room when having sleep paralysis. Some even describe whats popularly called, "The Old Wench" or "Witch", about a woman sitting on their chest and making them thing they can't breathe. I never had that, but I had the presence for sure. One particular occasion was really freaky.

My eyes open, I'm awake, but my body is still asleep and I can't move (sleep paralysis), all of a sudden I see these flashes of white darting around out of the corner of my eye. Then it gets to the side of my bed and CRAWLS under my covers coming towards me. Then in a flash it pops out close enough that I can feel it, and it's there but I can't necessarily see it. But I know for sure it's a cat like figure. It's hissing with fangs out and I can hear it hissing. Like a viper ready to strike my neck. I'm wigging out trying to lift my head and fight it off, when my body finally wakes up, of course nothing is there and I'm dripping in sweat.

That happened to me once. Truly frightening.

For the longest time I really never experienced my dreams, then I started taking ZMA... shit got real :yep:

I've never experienced sleep paralysis, but looking up more on it...kinda freaking me out lol.

I've never experienced sleep paralysis, but looking up more on it...kinda freaking me out lol.

Trust me you don't want to.

I get it occasionally and I feel like I'm completely awake in my own bed, but I can't move any part of my body. You just sort of lie there not being able to do anything and it feels like it will never end. You get this overwhelming sensation of being trapped within your body, but as if your watching yourself from the outside and not having the ability to ever move again. Then all of a sudden I'll actually wake up and get this incredible feeling of relief wash over me. I usually have a throbbing headache for a couple of hours after that happens. Not fun at all. Though the ones I get probably aren't as bad as some others.

Sleep paralysis sucks, I use to get it quite a bit. Its pretty scary at times wondering what the hell is going on and why you can't move. When I was a kid I tried crying out for help :(.