Sign in to follow this  
Guest Phailadelphia

Stay Classy, Philadelphia

Ugh this post is so ignorant it makes my head hurt. You should read this: http://blogs.detroitnews.com/politics/2013/08/01/sagging-pants-the-n-word-and-the-durability-of-racism/

You missed my point. I don't think white people still use it because black people do. I think that as long as both parties use it, a white man shouldn't be figuratively crucified for using it.

And what is there to argue about, there? Fuck double standards.

Edited by BwareDWare94

Shady can't get over a 6 letter word?

LOLsomeblackpeople

Seriously. I'm all for the complete removal of that word from our society's general vocabulary, but Jesus Christ.

Perhaps we can look to film for a perfect reference in this situation, in Coach Carter, when Samuel L Jackson runs the kids' asses off for using the N word repeatedly.

Shady,

Your race best look in the mirror. Racism isn't nearly as rampant as it once was, and now a portion of the African American community has adopted that term (most notably in music), and we still worry when a white dude says it once? Come the fuck on. Especially if this is a revelation for all Eagles players. If he wasn't like this before, he clearly isn't like this in general. Forgive and forget.

The hip hop community has not adopted that term. They've adopted a different word. I've heard a ton of rappers in my day, and the only time I've ever heard the "er" at the end is in songs being made to acknowledge the difference.

He said a word that both races, white and black consider a racial slur (unless if you're a racist, or are ignorant). Regardless of who says it.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Shady, an African American, wanting nothing to do with a white person whom, when over emotional, or drunk stoops to the level of just throwing out a racial slur that was made and used to depict Shady's race as inferior.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F
  • Upvote 1

I'm not trying to condone what Riley Cooper did, nor am I trying to make some sort of excuse for the guy - I certainly don't condone or agree with what he said in any form of the word - but I think it's hard to really put too much into him using the word (Especially being a white boy from the country side, we just can't touch that word, it doesn't end well).

I mean look at our music artists of this decade. They have absolutely glorified the use of the N word. Be it ending with an ER or an A, however you say or use it, it's not right. Period. I think that goes for anyone no matter your skin color. Using the word isn't a big deal because of what you hear on the radio on a daily basis. I mean, we have kids running up and down the street using it. It's not right, but how do you put blame and shun one man for saying it when the rest of the world glorifies it and turns it to something "cool".

I think anyone who phrases it as "just a word" or decides that it's alright for children and adults alike to use it is just ignorant. Ignorant to what the word stands for in black history and ignorant to the fact that it has a different meaning to everyone who hears or uses the word. It just shouldn't be used, period.

What happened with Riley Cooper is the human way. People say things that they shouldn't all the time, especially when they are under the influence of alcohol and at a large concert. It was stupid, he was fined by the football team, he released a statement and it's done. A month or so from now this will all be history to us and it will be pushed aside for bigger news.

It's not the same word. They are spelled, pronounced differently, and have two complete different meanings.

One is and as always been by anyone who's not a racist or ignorant to it's origin, a racial slur. The other is a way that close friends talk to each other.

LeSean McCoy needs to shut the fuck up and get over it..he's done worse than Cooper using the N-Word.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1503592-lesean-mccoys-twitter-account-deleted-after-public-blowup-with-ex-girlfriend

http://deadspin.com/lawsuit-says-lesean-mccoy-assaulted-and-ditched-woman-o-505830435

How can anyone call LeSean McCoy a man after those incidents?

Class runs deep in that organization.

Edited by Mathias
  • Upvote 2

The hip hop community has not adopted that term. They've adopted a different word. I've heard a ton of rappers in my day, and the only time I've ever heard the "er" at the end is in songs being made to acknowledge the difference.

He said a word that both races, white and black consider a racial slur (unless if you're a racist, or are ignorant). Regardless of who says it.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Shady, an African American, wanting nothing to do with a white person whom, when over emotional, or drunk stoops to the level of just throwing out a racial slur that was made and used to depict Shady's race as inferior.

I don't buy that they're different words, and don't think either should be accepted.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's up to people who hear words to give them power. The word Quim means nothing these to people, but back in the way back, it was synonymous with the word Cunt. Language only has power if you give it power. If you really want to ostracize people for using a word, that's fine. However if you want racism and double standards to end, you really can't continue to give words that kind of power.

• Upvote 2

If I was Chip Kelly......Riley don't let the door hit you on the way out.

The dude just cost himself a spot on this roster and idk if he ever plays in the NFL again. Riley Cooper is nothing more than a solid special teamer. I know if I'm a GM or HC or whatever I'm going to deal with the tension in the locker room for a guy who is very easy to replace.

Guest Phailadelphia

It's kind of appalling that the origin of the n-word was used by white people to basically dismiss the entire existence of black people and yet white people believe it's a double standard when they can't use the word anymore.

It's kind of appalling that the origin of the n-word was used by white people to basically dismiss the entire existence of black people and yet white people believe it's a double standard when they can't use the word anymore.

It's common sense really, just don't use the word.

I really don't sympathize with Cooper either. Time and place to be drunk, especially if you are a professional athlete. Bound to be football fans at a concert who will recognize you if you are throwing a drunken hissy fit.

It should be appalling to anyone who says the word; Skin color has nothing to do with whether or not you should be able to say the word. The logic of "Oh, they were victims of this thing so it's ok to let them get off with stuff" is really starting to annoy me. It's not just with the n-word, either... I think there is a culture in America, right now, that is so obsessed with "not" being racist that they over-emphasize race in order to sympathize with the minorities.

Edited by Vikingfan465

It's up to people who hear words to give them power. The word Quim means nothing these to people, but back in the way back, it was synonymous with the word Cunt. Language only has power if you give it power. If you really want to ostracize people for using a word, that's fine. However if you want racism and double standards to end, you really can't continue to give words that kind of power.

I had to have this conversation with my mother once, because she was ranting about how much our youth uses it today. Needless to say, she didn't understand my point.

It's not the same word. They are spelled, pronounced differently, and have two complete different meanings.

This is a technicality; if we are playing that game, then the n-word technically isn't even a racial slur.

This is a technicality; if we are playing that game, then the n-word technically isn't even a racial slur.

This is not a matter of technicality at all. Two different words, with two different meanings. One is and has always been a racial slur, the other is not.

I was always under the impression that it was just being lazy and not sounding out the syllables, and that they were the same word.

Are you saying its perfectly okay for a white guy to say nigga, but its not okay if the word ends in er instead of a?

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Upvote 1

This is not a matter of technicality at all. Two different words, with two different meanings. One is and has always been a racial slur, the other is not.

Do you think the reaction be different if he said the word without a hard "r" sound on the video? My guess is no.

I was always under the impression that it was just being lazy and not sounding out the syllables, and that they were the same word.

Are you saying its perfectly okay for a white guy to say nigga, but its not okay if the word ends in er instead of a?

I know plenty of non African Americans who say the n word with an a at the end around African Americans and they have no problems with it. But I can guarantee you that it'd be a different story if those same people said it with an "er" at the end... Especially saying it in the same situation as Cooper had just said it. It depends entirely on the individuals and how close they are to each other, or how comfortable the black person is to the non African American saying it.

Conversely, I know a lot of African Americans who'd attempt to beat up any non African American saying the word regardless of how they say it.

Mikey pulls out the N word all the time on his facebook and I've never seen any African American(s) confront him about it.

Do you think the reaction be different if he said the word without a hard "r" sound on the video? My guess is no.

I don't know how the reaction would change. Because not every black person is OK with non African Americans saying the n word even when it ends with an a. And not every African American accepts the idea of black people themselves taking a word that's supposed to be derogatory towards them (n---er) and making changes to it to mean something of endearment among themselves (n---a).

But I do know that to most African Americans, it's two completely different words with two complete different meanings. And when it's intentionally said with an "a" at the end, it's meant to be a symbol of endearment and/or friendship.

• Upvote 1

The media is going way to far.

What he did was unprofessional, but do we really need every single Nfl expert to have a comment? No.

I'm not defending him, but how many people actually knew who Cooper was before this happened? (Unless you follow football closely)

Will this guy even be talked about when the season starts? Maybe once or twice, because they're are ignorant broadcasters that have to point out news that everyone already knows.

I think Philly will release him. Won't help them since they already lost Maclin, but I don't think Kelly wants this locker room to be separated.

If this guy stays in Philly or signs with another team will he ever be as good as he was? No he'll be worse because now he's going to worry about everyone knocking the shit out of him, and the refs may actually not throw a flag.

These are the last moments of his career in the Nfl IMO. He's no Wes Welker, or good Wr. He's an average slot guy who has had a few good plays. He's not a HOF. Never will be. So why are we still talking about this?

I'm kind of confused by not just your post above but the thought that the word originated as hateful or dismissive. All it was was an anglicized version of the Spanish word for black. It was not originally meant to be hateful as far as I can tell, but eventually did become that way based on who was using the word to describe whom. Sorry to cherry-pick your post from a few pages back but that's something I've been hearing a lot in different media when talking about this story.

Its not just white people who think the idea that blacks use the word all the time and its fine and then Cooper says it once and its a crime.

Mr. Deion Sanders, laying down the truth: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-super-bowl/0ap2000000225806/Should-Cooper-s-teammates-have-defended-him

Shady can't get over a 6 letter word?

LOLsomeblackpeople

Seriously. I'm all for the complete removal of that word from our society's general vocabulary, but Jesus Christ.

Perhaps we can look to film for a perfect reference in this situation, in Coach Carter, when Samuel L Jackson runs the kids' asses off for using the N word repeatedly.

Shady,

Your race best look in the mirror. Racism isn't nearly as rampant as it once was, and now a portion of the African American community has adopted that term (most notably in music), and we still worry when a white dude says it once? Come the fuck on. Especially if this is a revelation for all Eagles players. If he wasn't like this before, he clearly isn't like this in general. Forgive and forget.

Dear fucking lord. Take a step back and look at the ignorance you're spouting. You once cliamed that anyone that uses the word "cunt" is unevolved, lmao.

"Nigger" and "nigga" are completely different words. It's telling that the one black member in this dialogue is the man saying as much. Seriously, it's unfathomable how much of the population still parrots this fallacy that they're the same word with the same meaning.

• Upvote 1

"Nigger" and "nigga" are completely different words. It's telling that the one black member in this dialogue is the man saying as much. Seriously, it's unfathomable how much of the population still parrots this fallacy that they're the same word with the same meaning.

I'm not sure much of the population has any idea that there are a large group of people that honestly see them as different. I don't see them as different and wouldn't use either regardless of if some people see it as having a different meaning. I wouldn't want to risk hurting my friends' feelings as I have in the past. Just as I would expect them not to call me a honky or white boy or cracker, even in jest. Then again, I'm in my thirties as are most of my friends, or older. Maybe its an age gap thing but it would make me uncomfortable.

• Upvote 1