Bay

Official preseason discussion thread

Eddie Lacy made me cream my pants running the ball last night. If he can do that during the regular season and stay healthy... The Packers are going to be near impossible to stop. We actually saw defense from the Rams geared to sell out on the run, which opened up some BEAUTIFUL passing lanes for Aaron Rodgers and Co.

Jolly indeed looked great, what a comeback story this is/will be.

QB competition heated up a lot for the #2 spot. Graham Harrell is awful and should be cut immediately to give Coleman and VY more time to fight it out. Coleman bounced back very well from a poor showing last week. Vince Young is showing that he is learning and getting the playbook under control. I am not sure if it was planned this way, but he looked to one WR the whole night -- would like to see him go through his progressions more and find the open guy instead of forcing it to his #1 option.

The Oline looked pretty stellar. Bakhtiari did give up a sack to Robert Quinn after getting beat inside, but overall I will take a performance like that in the regular season if he can keep it up. Can you imagine that? The Packers O-Line looks pretty good and there is no Marshall Newhouse in sight? Praise the Sun!

REALLLLLY impressed with rookie DB out of Iowa, Micah Hyde. He plays tough, covers well, and isn't afraid to play up on the line. He does get into trouble sometimes on deep passes, he doesn't get his head around quick enough or at all which is a huge problem... Not sure if he will play a huge factor for us this season, but moving forward, I am very excited to see how he develops.

I thought WR Jeremy Ross was going to get more looks on offense, but that didn't happen. He looks to be on the bubble with strong performances from other WRs like Boykin and Tyrone Walker.

Edited by Favre4Ever

Yeah, the Colts and Giants game is one that I wanted to see this week along with the Seahawks and Broncos. That Seahawks defense is serious... Even in the preseason :yep:

Ususually the Colts are a shit sandwich in preseason. I have no idea what to expect in the Luck/Pagano era so far in terms of this time of year but they were pretty cautious in the first game in terms of taking players out earlier then I expected and sitting many.

However, in the Manning era we always ALWAYS stunk in preseason. Then easily ripped off glorious regular seasons. So maybe it's out of habit, but I take preseason with a huge gain of salt based on my own experiences. And when it comes to Denver I would take it with a grain of salt too. But, I never felt Denver was as disciplined as the Tony Dungy led Colts were.

This is the inactive list tonight for Colts/Giants btw.

Edited by Jules

Eddie Lacy made me cream my pants running the ball last night. If he can do that during the regular season and stay healthy... The Packers are going to be near impossible to stop. We actually saw defense from the Rams geared to sell out on the run, which opened up some BEAUTIFUL passing lanes for Aaron Rodgers and Co.

Jolly indeed looked great, what a comeback story this is/will be.

QB competition heated up a lot for the #2 spot. Graham Harrell is awful and should be cut immediately to give Coleman and VY more time to fight it out. Coleman bounced back very well from a poor showing last week. Vince Young is showing that he is learning and getting the playbook under control. I am not sure if it was planned this way, but he looked to one WR the whole night -- would like to see him go through his progressions more and find the open guy instead of forcing it to his #1 option.

The Oline looked pretty stellar. Bakhtiari did give up a sack to Robert Quinn after getting beat inside, but overall I will take a performance like that in the regular season if he can keep it up. Can you imagine that? The Packers O-Line looks pretty good and there is no Marshall Newhouse in sight? Praise the Sun!

REALLLLLY impressed with rookie DB out of Iowa, Micah Hyde. He plays tough, covers well, and isn't afraid to play up on the line. He does get into trouble sometimes on deep passes, he doesn't get his head around quick enough or at all which is a huge problem... Not sure if he will play a huge factor for us this season, but moving forward, I am very excited to see how he develops.

I thought WR Jeremy Ross was going to get more looks on offense, but that didn't happen. He looks to be on the bubble with strong performances from other WRs like Boykin and Tyrone Walker.

Who played starting RT?

Eddie Lacy was looking so fresh and good out on the field. Honestly, he briefly reminded me of Steven Jackson with how he ran the ball. If he can continue that in the regular season and give Aaron Rodgers a running game, the league better watch out.

Eddie Lacy + Jonathan Franklin... if both of them play effectively, the Packers will possibly have one of the top running back duos in the next few years. Scary for the Vikes...

True, but it's still just preseason.

I mean I have to see it to believe it when it comes to the Pack having a good running game, or the Patriots having a good defense. Or the Colts o line being anything other then a slight notch above pile of shit. Or the Browns actually being as good as they look this time of year.

And many other things.

Coby Fleener's hands still worry me. And the Colts running game/o line still scares me.

Edited by Jules

Who played starting RT?

Don Barclay.

Eddie Lacy was looking so fresh and good out on the field. Honestly, he briefly reminded me of Steven Jackson with how he ran the ball. If he can continue that in the regular season and give Aaron Rodgers a running game, the league better watch out.

True story. He's big, but he showed some nice cuts and elusive moves last night. He never went down easy and fought for every single yard. That's what I like to see... lol. Like Jules said though, it is preseason, defenses run VERY simple schemes. All I can do is sit back and hope for the best.

Eddie Lacy + Jonathan Franklin... if both of them play effectively, the Packers will possibly have one of the top running back duos in the next few years. Scary for the Vikes...

Franklin hasn't shown us his explosion, quickness, or big play ability yet.. Kind of disappointing, because he looks like Alex Green, lol.

God, I love Andrew Luck and Reggie Wayne.

And I am starting to love Ty Hilton too.

What a group. :grinno:

I can't watch the second half so I can't watch the potential backup meltdown which seemed to already start with the Hasselbeck interception.

Edited by Jules

David Diehl fucking sucks and I can't wait till he's off this team for good. He's so slow-footed and is basically just a 300lb human turnstile.

That is all.

David Diehl fucking sucks and I can't wait till he's off this team for good. He's so slow-footed and is basically just a 300lb human turnstile.

That is all.

Was looking for you in the shout box during the game Blue. This guy is THE WORST. Look I get keeping him on the team cuz of his salary cap hit if we let him go, and what hes done for this team in the past. But get him THE FUCK out of the starting line up. James Brewer, Pugh, Jasper....any of these guys are a better option for starting. I dont care how inexperienced Pugh and Brewer are, either of them are a better option based soley on there physical and athletic abilities.

On the upside...

1. I loved what I saw from David Wilson in both pass pro and on the ground.

2. LOL Aaron Ross on that would be INT in to a TD. Good coverage, very different thing Im used to seeing from Toast, but what a turn of events.

3. Was much more pleased with the rush Defense.

4. Justin Tuck looks rejuvenated, had a few QB pressures, I hope it lasts all season.

5. 1st team Offense was able to move the ball inside the 5 yard line on 3/5 possesions....Coming away with 3 FGs is NOT acceptable come Sept. 8th. I get the offenses and defenses are extremely vanilla right now, but please for the love of GOD....STOP RUNNING THAT STUPID FUCKING SHOT GUN DRAW GILBRIDE!!! We have ran this play in the red zone on 1st down for over a decade and AT BEST we get back to the line of scrimmage....it is more often then not a 2-4 yard loss every single time.

Edited by NYGIANTSFLYHIGH

Carolina's front 7 is nasty.

• Upvote 1

Carolina's front 7 is nasty.

Damn straight.

Star looked really good out there.

Cracks showing in the AFC "top dogs" lately. :yep:

Could be an interesting season later. We'll see.....

Tom Brady had 9 possessions, 3 points, NE had 4 TOs all with 1st team offense. I know its preseason but it was a good night to be a lions fan. DL, Ziggy and Jones impressed in particular.

And yes Kuechly, Star, CARs front 7 all looked nasty. Especially Kuechly.

Edited by the Lions fan

Damn straight.

Star looked really good out there.

He was my #1 prospect in the draft. Love Star.

Looking forward to tomorrows Colts/Browns in a way... Dwayne Allen has been practicing but they are going to hold him out. Fleener will be held out too.

So both starting TEs out, should be interesting to see what we have for depth there.

Laron Landry is going to make his Colts debut.

A new RG for the Colts will be tried out I hear.

And for those who want to see Bradshaw, sounds like he is a no go until the season starts.

Edited by Jules

I can't believe the Raiders have become bad enough for me to pity them. I'm supposed to hate them. It's just brutal.

I mean, we generally accept that the Jags are a bad team right now yes? How many players on the Raiders would start in Jacksonville? I'm thinking Wisniewski, Reece, Houston, Burnett, Branch, and maybe Hayden.

When you're the #32 team and only 5-6 of your guys would start for the team that's generally thought to be the next best, you know you're in bad shape.

Edited by KempBolt

I can't believe the Raiders have become bad enough for me to pity them. I'm supposed to hate them. It's just brutal.

I mean, we generally accept that the Jags are a bad team right now yes? How many players on the Raiders would start in Jacksonville? I'm thinking Wisniewski, Reece, Houston, Burnett, Branch, and maybe Hayden.

When you're the #32 team and only 5-6 of your guys would start for the team that's generally thought to be the next best, you know you're in bad shape.

It's to the point where I'd actually be embarrassed if my shitty Jags lost to Oakland in Week 2 now. Even if it's on the road on the west coast where the Jags usually get smashed.

It's to the point where I'd actually be embarrassed if my shitty Jags lost to Oakland in Week 2 now. Even if it's on the road on the west coast where the Jags usually get smashed.

Yeah the Chargers better sweep. So ugly. The Ravens should try and trade for Denarius Moore. Not like he'll get used there this season.

OAK doesn't have one player on espns new top 200 players... odds wise alone they should have 6.2.

I think Veldheer, Wisniewski, and Houston deserve to be there, but that's probably about it.

Even though it was a loss, I thought it was a great game. Seattle kept their starters in much longer than we did, which gave us some valuable reps and film to evaluate young players. Graham Harrell still needs to be cut. I don't even care what the stats say.... Vince Young moved the ball down the field for a score. Graham Harrell moved closer to the enemies endzone than he did ours. Epic Fail.

Run game was a massive failure, but I thought the Oline held up exceptionally in pass pro -- which is what I am most concerned about. If Aaron doesn't get sacked 50 times this year, it will be an accomplishment.

We are going to have a really hard time narrowing down who gets a roster spot, much less the start, on the Dline. I feel like there are going to be a lot of cuts I won't agree with, but they were all over the Seattle QBs.

Even though the secondary allowed some big gains from Wilson and the one deep ball from Quinn, I thought they played pretty well also. We have to learn to limit those big throws and wide open throwing lanes, but I think that will happen as we get more diverse with the scheme and play calls in the regular season.

Even though it was a loss, I thought it was a great game. Seattle kept their starters in much longer than we did, which gave us some valuable reps and film to evaluate young players. Graham Harrell still needs to be cut. I don't even care what the stats say.... Vince Young moved the ball down the field for a score. Graham Harrell moved closer to the enemies endzone than he did ours. Epic Fail.

That's what I say. Idc how good Harrell/Coleman might be in practice. They suck ass in the games, and that's what matters. Vince Young doesn't suck in the games, at least from what we seen.

The biggest argument for Harrell is that he's been here a while and knows the playbook where Young doesn't. Tbh, I don't think it should matter though. If Harrell overthrows/throws interceptions, who cares how much of the playbook he knows? He can't execute it. If Rodgers goes down I'd be much more comfortable with Vince Young and a dumbed down offense than I would Harrell and whatever offense McCarthy gives him.

• Upvote 1