Dutch

Your top 10 favorite Actors

Nathan Fillion is not an actor. Nathan Fillion is the god of acting.

Favre4Ever, on 10 Oct 2013 - 11:44 PM, said:

George Clooney - Descendants

I'm really glad you listed this movie. It was amazing. Clooney is friggin amazing in it. Also, the chick who plays his older daughter has to be like one of the hottest people ever made.

1. Will Ferrell - Yeah, comedy actors are barely "actors" but I think he's great anyways

anyone who thinks Will Ferrell is just a comedic actor needs to see Stranger than Fiction

I wasn't even the first to mention Nathan. Makes me proud. Love that guy.

BWare must have really liked In Bruges.

I do admit that I find European actors to be much more skilled than American actors, in general. There's a reason Daniel Day-Lewis is so much better than everybody else. Many people don't even realize that he's not an American actor. I find you have to throw people like Ralph Fiennes next to him to give him some peers.

I do admit that I find European actors to be much more skilled than American actors, in general. There's a reason Daniel Day-Lewis is so much better than everybody else. Many people don't even realize that he's not an American actor. I find you have to throw people like Ralph Fiennes next to him to give him some peers.

Incredibly overrated imo. I have never really gotten the DDL hype.The fact that he puts out one film every decade does not mean he is all that great. Exlcusivity is not always brilliance at work. I mean I think he is OK and better than most but he is not the best actor in his own country much less everywhere.

There Will Be Blood is enough on it's own to put Daniel Day-Lewis near the top. The rest of his performances are just icing on the cake IMO.

• Upvote 2

Incredibly overrated imo. I have never really gotten the DDL hype.The fact that he puts out one film every decade does not mean he is all that great. Exlcusivity is not always brilliance at work. I mean I think he is OK and better than most but he is not the best actor in his own country much less everywhere.

That's not an opinion. You're simply wrong. An actor's quality is not subjective. There are parameters to acting. Movies are subjective, but acting absolutely isn't.

I go through phases of favorite actors, but some of my more recent phases include: Aaron Eckhart, Christian Bale, Leonardo Dicaprio, and Harrison Ford. I never really watched Breaking Bad that often, but I loved Byran Cranston in Malcom in the Middle.

That's not an opinion. You're simply wrong. An actor's quality is not subjective. There are parameters to acting. Movies are subjective, but acting absolutely isn't.

Haha ok Bware. What are some of those parameters, you know to enlighten us whose opinions are "simply wrong" ?

Haha ok Bware. What are some of those parameters, you know to enlighten us whose opinions are "simply wrong" ?

The way an actor portrays emotion (is it believable? is it accurate?). The way an actor becomes a character (Do they study the character as much as possible? Do they research the character if they're portraying a real human being/historical figure?) Do they become part of the time period and state of society depicted in the film?

Daniel Day Lewis is exceptional in all of these parameters, and it's only 3 of many many more, though they're undeniably the 3 most important. If you weren't moved by DDL's performance in There Will be Blood, I think you may need to watch it again. There's just no way to proclaim DDL as overrated. None, whatsoever. If you think he's overrated, I'd like to see some explanation.

The way an actor portrays emotion (is it believable? is it accurate?). The way an actor becomes a character (Do they study the character as much as possible? Do they research the character if they're portraying a real human being/historical figure?) Do they become part of the time period and state of society depicted in the film?

Daniel Day Lewis is exceptional in all of these parameters, and it's only 3 of many many more, though they're undeniably the 3 most important. If you weren't moved by DDL's performance in There Will be Blood, I think you may need to watch it again. There's just no way to proclaim DDL as overrated. None, whatsoever. If you think he's overrated, I'd like to see some explanation.

Is it believable and is it accurate are some of the two most subjective criteria I can think of. And yes there is a way to say he is overrated...watch this....HE is overrated. See there it is possible, I just did it, now give me a medal.

As to my reason, I just dont see him as an impressive actor or at least one who deserves to be known as one of the greatest ever. I can think there are a few roles that people could have done better, Lincoln being one of them. The crucible being another. THe movie he did for his wife sucked balls. Believe it or not he is fallible.

Have you seen There Will Be Blood though?

Yes.

Don't most people think he was excellent as Lincoln? :shrug:

• Upvote 1

Yes.

....and?

I am not sure I mean there were scenes (where he was introducing himself to the town) where he was pretty good, although I think there are people who could have done that monologue better but it was still pretty good. Then there was the scene where he was was talking about the milkshake and that scene was just weird and not really all that great.

I mena it was not a bad film, but I dont think it was what people think it is. I think he gets a LOT of great roles and brilliantly written parts, and to his credit does them well. I just dont think he is the best of our generation or the previous to be honest.

Yes.

....and?

I am not sure I mean there were scenes (where he was introducing himself to the town) where he was pretty good, although I think there are people who could have done that monologue better but it was still pretty good. Then there was the scene where he was was talking about the milkshake and that scene was just weird and not really all that great.

I mena it was not a bad film, but I dont think it was what people think it is. I think he gets a LOT of great roles and brilliantly written parts, and to his credit does them well. I just dont think he is the best of our generation or the previous to be honest.

Then the question for you is, who's better? The greatest actors of our generation are pretty obscure, imo. All the "big stars" end up sacrificing their skills by taking big paying rolls that don't even challenge them.

Yes.

....and?

Then the question for you is, who's better? The greatest actors of our generation are pretty obscure, imo. All the "big stars" end up sacrificing their skills by taking big paying rolls that don't even challenge them.

Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman, Anthony Hopkins, Ralph Fiennes, and Richard Harris are all better imo.

I'm not gonna repeat movies because most of the ones I would post have already been posted.

1. Tom Hanks

2. Jack Nicholson

3. Clint Eastwood

4. Robert De Niro

5. Gene Hackman (I feel like he definitely doesn't get enough credit)

6. Denzel Washington

7. Marlon Brando

8. George Clooney

9. Daniel Day-Lewis

10. Dustin Hoffman

Honorable Mentions:

Anthony Hopkins

Morgan Freeman

Al Pacino

Johnny Depp

It's really hard to do a list like this because you're always leaving off a ton of great actors. These are just the ones that stand out to me the most and ones I prefer to watch.

Edited by Sarge

Yes.

....and?

Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman, Anthony Hopkins, Ralph Fiennes, and Richard Harris are all better imo.

The most unfortunate situation in recent (last 10-15 years) acting scenarios was Richard Harris dying after only two Harry Potter movies. He was the perfect Dumbledore. Michael Gambon wasn't even in the ballpark after Richard Harris had perfectly suited the role.

Thing is, for DDL's roles, only Gary Oldman could have competed for any of them. Hopkins and Freeman are 75 and 76, respectively. Ralph Fiennes doesn't fit the role of Lincoln, or of the primary character in There Will be Blood, or The Butcher from Gangs of New York. DDL fits those roles. I'm not sure Fiennes and DDL are similar enough to play each other's roles.

Gary Oldman, on the other hand, might have had a chance. He's fantastic, and unfortunately not all that well known.

I appreciate the list you put together of

1. Denzel Washington - I've never watched a film that Denzel was in I didn't love. From his early days, to now his late days. He's one hell of an actor. Has to be the favorite of many

2. Ben Affleck - People may gripe about Affleck here and there, but I really like his movies.

3. Clint Eastwood - I have no explanation, I just love his movies.

4. Tom Cruise - Yeah yeah, generic/silly. He's brought me some of my favorites (Top Gun, Days of Thunder, Jack Reacher, Oblivion) His new movies aren't as good, but their still solid additions.

5. Robert Downey Jr. - He can play serious, he can play funny. He's just great on screen.

6. Jack Nicholson - Do I need any explanation here?

7. Morgan Freeman

8. Mark Wahlberg

9. Vince Vaughn

10. Ben Stiller

2. Ben Affleck - People may gripe about Affleck here and there, but I really like his movies.

Personally, I think Ben Affleck is a good actor who has just been in some bad movies. Daredevil and Pearl Harbor, just to name a few.