Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Voice Mail From Incognito to Martin Unearthed

I'm under the impression that both players are to blame some what.

Incognito obviously crossed the line a few times with Martin but Martin's got some issues, clearly, that make it so the kind of friendship they were obviously in was not entirely beneficial for him. I have no doubt in my mind that Incognito thought of Martin as a friend, after reading the texts that Trident said.

That being said nobody can just come out and say "Martin is a fucking pussy" because obviously he has some issues that he can't resolve on his own.

• Upvote 1

Absolutely.

Jon Martin is no saint. He has A LOT of personal issues he needs to resolve before he can actually handle being in this kind of atmosphere with people who have a lot of mental instabilities themselves. It really looks like Richie Incognito has some kind of bi-polar disorder or something of the like. He's very up and down... He's definitely shown signs of wanting to reach out and help Martin and even they their friendship was... odd, to say the least, it was still a friendship.

Regardless of that friendship... Regardless of the ball busting nature of NFL locker rooms.. That doesn't excuse the actions of Incognito or the other Olineman involved. Richie knew Martin was suicidal, he knew what he was doing was causing Martin mental anguish yet he kept doing because of some misguided sense that he was helping in some way.

I found this from some dude on reddit, commenting on this story:

On April 22, 2013, Martin wrote to his mother:I figured out a major source of my anxiety. I’m a push over, a people pleaser. I avoid confrontation whenever I can, I always want everyone to like me. I let people talk about me, say anything to my face, and I just take it, laugh it off, even when I know they are intentionally trying to disrespect me. I mostly blame the soft schools I went to, which fostered within me a feeling that I’m a huge pussy, as I never got into fights. I used to get verbally bullied every day in middle school and high school, by kids that are half my size. I would never fight back, just get sad & feel like no one wanted to be my friend, when in fact I was just being socially awkward. Most people in that situation are witty & quick with sarcastic replies, I never have been. I’m awkward around people a lot of the time because I simply don’t know how to act around them...

Shortly thereafter, Martin’s mother responded: My first thought is that I am glad you wrote this down as a way to start figuring it out. There are people in the world with their own insecurities and they tend to be bullies and confront people. Dealing with them can be a challenge. I think when you feel really good about yourself they won’t bother you as much because you won’t let them define you. This fits into wanting to please and be liked. Some people out there are not worth it. W e do live in a bubble. Financial and professional success is sheltering. Which is both good and bad. I think the NFL has a disproportionate share of people who are obscure but masking it with aggression. Your profession is really difficult with measurement and evaluation every week. So we need to build up you liking you. This is where some professional help would be good.They can help you structure your thoughts. And that whole brain chemistry thing is real. You may need some additional seratonin...

Martin, however, seemed unconvinced that his mother’s suggested solutions would be sufficient to alleviate his anguish. The same day, he wrote to her:I care about my legacy as a professional athlete. But I’m miserable currently. A therapist & medication won’t help me gain the respect of my teammates. I really don’t know what to do Mom...I just always avoid confrontation, which is what I’ve always done, and that leads to [people] perceiving you as soft. I did it at Stanford, and didn’t gain anyone’s respect until I became a star."

On May 5, after feeling humiliated by Incognito and Pouncey during a yacht trip, Martin sent his mother these messages:I’m never gonna change. I got punked again today. Like a little bitch.And I never do anything about it. I was sobbing in a rented yacht bathroom earlier

It was just a reddit comment, so take it as you want. But obviously he's aware of his problems and he knows what causes them to act up. I couldn't help but just feel awful for the guy when I was reading the conversation he had with his mother.

Edit - This is from reddit as well, a text convo between Incognito and another unnamed player:

Specifically, on December 13, 2012, Incognito and a former Dolphins offensive lineman, who is white, communicated about purchasing guns, apparently for recreational purposes. (We identify this former Dolphin as Player B.) The discussion veered into jokes about shooting black people:

Player B: Especially if u plan living in Arizona in the future, that’s exactly what you want

Incognito: Yea. For picking off zombies

Player B: Lol isn’t that why we own any weapons!?

Incognito: That and black people

Player B: Mmm def all black ppl

Four days later, Incognito and Player B discussed rifle scopes in text messages.

Player B: Yes. That’s a solid optic made specifically for a .308 battle rifle

Incognito: Perfect for shooting black people

Player B: Lol exactly

Player B: Or Jeff Ireland

There's a few tasteless racist jokes here but I thought the last line was funny. That was not Incognito who said it, fyi. lol.

Edited by badgers

Guest Phailadelphia

I'm in disbelief that anyone is defending what Incognito did.

Edited by Phailadelphia
  • Upvote 2

Per the Wells Report, Dolphins OL coach Jim Turner gave ex-Fins and current Panthers OT Andrew McDonald a male blowup doll as an insinuation that McDonald was homosexual in December of 2012.

The report states McDonald was "frequently taunted ... with homophobic insults. He often was called a "fag" or a "faggot" in a demeaning tone." Richie Incognito went so far as to accuse McDonald of "sucking d---", "pissing while sitting down," and asked him "where’s your boyfriend?" No Dolphins players actually believed McDonald was gay. But Turner took the harassment to another level. Around Christmas time in 2012, Turner gave his players gift bags and stocking stuffers. All of the linemen received inflatable female dolls, except McDonald, whose "gift bag" contained a male blowup doll. Turner remains employed by the Dolphins.
Source: Miami Herald

The Dolphins plan to huddle with Jonathan Martin's "camp" as soon as next week's Scouting Combine.

Per FOX Sports' Mike Garafolo, Martin "wants to play" football in 2014, and has yet to request a trade. The trade demand may occur in Indy, especially with OL coach Jim Turner still in the Dolphins' employ. The most likely landing spot at this point for Martin appears to be San Francisco, where coach Jim Harbaugh knows Martin well from Stanford and supported him in the Wells Report.

What are you trying to say? Incognito did absolutely nothing wrong, he was just trying to help his friend. If you haven't played HS football, you just wouldn't understand. Richie Incognito is an INNOCENT MAN.

#FreeIncognito

(This post is heavily laced with sarcasm)

• Upvote 1

Per the Wells Report, Dolphins OL coach Jim Turner gave ex-Fins and current Panthers OT Andrew McDonald a male blowup doll as an insinuation that McDonald was homosexual in December of 2012.

The report states McDonald was "frequently taunted ... with homophobic insults. He often was called a "fag" or a "faggot" in a demeaning tone." Richie Incognito went so far as to accuse McDonald of "sucking d---", "pissing while sitting down," and asked him "where’s your boyfriend?" No Dolphins players actually believed McDonald was gay. But Turner took the harassment to another level. Around Christmas time in 2012, Turner gave his players gift bags and stocking stuffers. All of the linemen received inflatable female dolls, except McDonald, whose "gift bag" contained a male blowup doll. Turner remains employed by the Dolphins.
Related: Dolphins

Also, somethiing that is disturbing that is away from Incognito a little... Some players are voicing concerns about playing / showering / etc with openly gay players... but the Dolphins offensive lineman hold down teammates and allow their friends to stick their fingers up the restrained players ass.

Michael Sam should be the least of their worries.

Incognito deleted his Twitter account, I presume because he couldn't handle the abuse he was getting. What a punk bitch.

I just don't understand how the organization allows it to get this bad. You'd think someone... Anyone... Of the upper coaches would of dealt with this sooner.

I get that showing tendencies of someone getting bullied (playing along to "fit in") and that would of made it harder to spot by coaches, etc. But still. This just makes everyone seem bad.

Incognito deleted his Twitter account, I presume because he couldn't handle the abuse he was getting. What a punk bitch.

I am wondering if he was advised to delete it he obviously couldn't control himself on there he just went off yesterday and was commenting to people today.

Also, somethiing that is disturbing that is away from Incognito a little... Some players are voicing concerns about playing / showering / etc with openly gay players... but the Dolphins offensive lineman hold down teammates and allow their friends to stick their fingers up the restrained players ass.

Wait what. Is this the "inappropriate touching" that was referred to?

Absolutely sick.

Guest Phailadelphia

What are you trying to say? Incognito did absolutely nothing wrong, he was just trying to help his friend. If you haven't played HS football, you just wouldn't understand. Richie Incognito is an INNOCENT MAN.

#FreeIncognito

(This post is heavily laced with sarcasm)

We're agreeing way too much lately. It's weird and I'm not sure if I like it. :laugh:

Edited by Phailadelphia

Wait what. Is this the "inappropriate touching" that was referred to?

Absolutely sick.

Dolphins Olineman would mock a teammate (not Martin, another young Olineman) for being gay (and he isn't, allegedly) by grabbing his ass and asking for hugs. And there was an occasion in which they held down that player and someone else "simulated anal penetration" with their finger.

Disturbing.

If they did that he'd certainly have grounds to sue for rape. >_> Again, It could just be the Dolphins locker room is a bunch of dysfunctional dimwits. I'm just kind of hoping more stories come out about these coaches being utter dipshits.

The Miami Herald reports the Dolphins do not plan to trade C Mike Pouncey.

Talent trumps trouble. Pouncey was one of the ring leaders in the Jonathan Martin harassment ordeal, per the Ted Wells Report, but might be the only Dolphins troublemaker to get a second chance in Miami. He may face a suspension from the league, but Pouncey isn't believed to be on the trade block.

Rotoworld

Of course an excuse is made for a player who's pivotal to the team. Pouncey might not be as heavily involved as Incognito...but still interesting.

Richie Inocgnito reactivated his twitter acount... (yay?)

https://twitter.com/68INCOGNITO/status/435652276082847744

Pretty hollow apology, IMO.

Before the report came out he was all "THE TRUTH WILL BURY YOU JONATHAN" and now its "No hard feelings, we're still buddies."

Uh-huh.

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Upvote 1

MIAMI—Saying that the recently released Wells report on patterns of harassment within the Miami Dolphins locker room “doesn’t tell the whole story,” offensive lineman Richie Incognito expressed disappointment to reporters Wednesday that the 144-page account left out the best stuff he did to former teammate Jonathan Martin. “I was hoping that this would finally set the record straight on all the great shit I did to that Jmart loser, but it doesn’t even come close,” said Incognito, claiming that the independent report’s detailed descriptions of the racial slurs, homophobic taunts, and personal threats he directed toward Martin failed to do justice to the extent of his “totally hilarious” abuse. “I mean, I read the entire report, and they didn’t even mention the time I pissed in his Gatorade cup and then watched him drink it. And how about what me and [teammate Mike] Pouncey did to him while he was sleeping on that flight? Whoever wrote this garbage just wasn’t paying attention.” Incognito added that in order to “clear this whole thing up,” he was in the process of writing up a 680-page addendum to the Wells report that he hopes to release to the public later this week.

Dolphins fired OL coach Jim Turner.
As expected. Per the Ted Wells Report, Turner taunted ex-Dolphins OL Andrew Gardner for being homosexual even though everyone knew he wasn't, and sent text messages accusing Jonathan Martin of betraying the Dolphins and his teammates after they bullied him into a mental facility. Hiring Turner would be a toxic P.R. move for any other team, so he may be done in the league.
Source: Barry Jackson on Twitter

Dolphins fired head athletic trainer Kevin O'Neill.
Normally, not many would care about a head trainer being fired. In this instance, O'Neill was named in the Ted Wells Report. He allegedly laughed along at some of the harassment toward Jonathan Martin and an assistant athletic trainer who was made fun of because of his Japanese heritage. O'Neill didn't bring any of this to the attention of head coach Joe Philbin and is now out of a job.
Source: Chris Mortensen on Twitter

Dolphins owner Stephen Ross expects to meet with Jonathan Martin "soon."
Martin is universally considered done with the Dolphins, but Ross still wants to meet face-to-face before releasing or trading him. "I haven't heard what his feelings are," Ross said, somewhat incredibly. "I think I've read the report. I think he wants to talk to me as much as I'm prepared to listen. When you've dealt with something, it's nice to understand it a little bit more by hearing from the person directly." The meeting will be perfunctory. Martin is done in Miami.

Posted by Darin Gantt on February 28, 2014, 11:13 AM EST

While it has been easy to make Richie Incognito a punch line for things like smashing his own car, it’s as clear that there are real issues lying underneath the shock value.

As such, he’s getting some help.

According to Jeff Darlington of the NFL Network, Incognito has “accepted professional help in the wake of severe mental stress,” and is being treated at a facility in Arizona.

Incognito’s behavior has never been what is generally described as “normal,” and his treatment of teammate Jonathan Martin, swinging from protective big brother to bully, only adds to that impression.

Hopefully, he gets the help he needs to become a well-adjusted member of society, beyond any football implications.

Source: ProFootballTalk