southgadawg

MLB 2013 winter off season thread

Apparently Price won't sign an extension with Seattle if he were to be traded, so that's probably what's holding up the trade talks.

The Pirates signed Edinson Volquez. 1 year/5 mil. There's that risky Burnett/Liriano type signing they've liked the past few years. If he pitches well then it's a bargain. If he stinks up the joint, well, we're only out 5 mil which is chump change these days even for us.

Bartolo Colon to the Mets. 2 years 20 mil, done deal pending physical. I like this for the Mets.

Edited by Sarge

Apparently Price won't sign an extension with Seattle if he were to be traded, so that's probably what's holding up the trade talks.

Mortgaging the farm for two years of Price (or anyone) is probably not smart, unless you win a Ship, which they won't.

Pretty slow going for the Red Birds as we already addressed our biggest needs. We are ready to start the season tomorrow. Let's get this started already.... Busch in the snow would be awesome. :smug:

Yeah cmon it's going to take quite a bit to get the rest of the team put together. We're still coming off of one of the worst offensive seasons ever played with a lot of the same guys in the lineup. We have no reason to compromise any part of our future. Taiwan Walker is the mold of one special species. Sarge you said it yourself a couple pages ago that the addition of Cano didn't revamp our offense enough completely. A producer of his ability is necessary but we could also use more productivity of multiple positions, including Dustin Ackley, or move on from him.

I never said I agreed with what the Mariners are doing. If I were the Mariners I never would've gotten Cano, and I certainly wouldn't have followed it up with all this other stuff. I honestly have no idea what they are doing... But unless they add another elite pitcher, they have no chance of contending... which defeats the entire purpose of everything they've done in the last week. If they're gonna try to contend after being terrible, then they have to go all in. They've put themselves in that position. If they bring in all these other guys and win 85 games and miss the playoffs every year for the next 3 years, then literally everything they just did was a waste.

I think the Mariners want to someway capture that "magic" in a bottle season where they have a mix of relative youngsters along with some (what they hope) are key veterans. Perhaps they get some growth from players like Nick Franklin, Kyle Seager, Justin Smoak, Brad Miller, Dustin Ackley, and Michael Saunders. They are definitely HOPING Logan Morrison and Corey Hart bounce back in big ways. Don't forget the Mariners made a qualifying offer to Kendry Morales as well. I believe he will be a hard sign for many teams since they would risk losing a draft pick so before it is over he might very well resign with the M's on the cheap. To me as it stands now there is just too much risk involved in HOPING things work out for the Mariners in this plan. I just don't think historically gambles like this have played out positively very many times.

Per Rotoworld.com:

FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal writes that the Mets would like to trade for a young shortstop.
Rosenthal names the Diamondbacks' Chris Owings and Didi Gregorius and the Mariners' Brad Miller and Nick Franklin (who is admittedly more of a second baseman) among the possible targets. The Mariners are said to be "preoccupied" with talks to acquire David Price from the Rays, with Miller and Franklin likely to be involved, so a possible match with the Mets might be on the backburner. However, it's clear that the Mets are looking at alternatives to giving Stephen Drew a big contract. Dec 12 - 3:09 PM

28qyt76.png

Against this, need to have good infield options to go with Cano, and still have nothing at 1B/DH. No need for Price with two Aces. We had Doug Fister at one point and realized we needed the offense more, so I'd stick with the current rotation and call up Walker in July.

I hate the idea of trading David Price, but it is probably smart for the Rays. Next year he is on the final year of his deal and we are in a worse position to get maximum value. Right now we can demand top prospects because the option of walking away is there. I feel like the offense should be better with Myers going into year two and Hanigan hopefully getting any sort of hitting from the catcher spot. I'd like Price at the top of our rotation and seeing what we could do but I'm not sure it is enough. I'd like to land another top prospect.

Braves acquired switch hitting catcher/outfielder Ryan Doumit from the Twins for LHP Sean Gilmartin. Doumit has decent (but not outstanding) power and is an average catcher who hits better from the leftside than the right. If the Braves are going with Evan Gattis as the main catcher, with defensive whiz Gerald Laird behind him, then with Doumit on the roster they won't be afraid of using either Gattis or Doumit as a starter on occassions or as pinch hitter. That is the benefit of having versatile players who can also catch.

Gilmartin was thought of a future 2nd or 3rd starter but took a step back at AAA last season. I think he will bounce back though.

It could be the Braves might be looking to move Gattis for some other need. Time will tell.

Gilmartin isn't good. 5.74 ERA in 91 innings at AAA, classic low velocity, control left hander, but with no control. People only though him as a top prospect because we took him in the first, but he was never a top prospect or anywhere close to one.

The Indians inquired about Price, and the Rays said, give us Carlos Santana, Danny Salazar and Francisco Lindor.

Not even a top pitcher in baseball is worth anywhere close to that, especially since he only has 2 years left on his contract...

The Indians inquired about Price, and the Rays said, give us Carlos Santana, Danny Salazar and Francisco Lindor.

Not even a top pitcher in baseball is worth anywhere close to that, especially since he only has 2 years left on his contract...

Yeah I heard about that. I really like what I saw from Salazar last year and wouldn't want to lose him. We need to keep Lindor because I just don't know how much longer Cabrera will be a sustainable starter. I've always liked Carlos to but he can actually be decent trade bait now that we have Yan Gomes.

Yea, it was smart of the Indians not to do that trade. The Rays will find a trading partner when someone else's starter goes down in Spring Training or something. They're gonna get a massive haul for him.

Only person from that deal I would trade is Santana. He is a good player, but his spot on the team is still up in the air. We have a solid catcher in Gomes. Santana can play 1st, but he is suspect there on defense. Maybe DH, but Swisher can DH.

Sounds like the Rays will be shopping Price more actively next offseason, and only dealing him this year if they get a king's ransom for him.

Sounds like the Rays will be shopping Price more actively next offseason, and only dealing him this year if they get a king's ransom for him.

More than likely, unless like I said some team loses one of their best pitchers in Spring Training and panics.

Masahiro Tanaka coming to the majors maybe next year. Dude was insane this past year. 24-0.

Masahiro Tanaka coming to the majors maybe next year. Dude was insane this past year. 24-0.

I think he'll ultimately be posted this week.

Also, one Grant Balfour can be had for very cheap after his deal with the Orioles fell through.

On this day 41 years ago, Pittsburgh Pirates OF Roberto Clemente died in a plane crash off the coast of his home country of Puerto Rico. Clemente was helping to deliver a plane full of relief aid for victims of an earthquake in Nicaragua.

R.I.P :(

• Upvote 1

Mariners are favorites to land Masahiro Tanaka.

BC.... Y UR TEAM SPEND SO MUCH MONEY RITE NAO?!

I don't get what they are doing. If they truly are trying to win now, which seems obviously correct, then they should also go ahead and trade for Price. There's no sense in half-assing it. Go all in or go home with nothing. :yep: