Sign in to follow this  
seanbrock

Yes it was a fluke

Sorry Ngata, but you're wrong. I don't care how bad the play calling has been or that Flacco isn't getting any help, there's no excuse for a guy getting paid the money he's getting paid to preform like this. Elite QB's do not complete less than 60 % of their passes, throw for under 7 ypa and they don't have a TD-INT ratio of 1:1. The Ravens are 3-5 and have made a huge mistake in giving this guy all that money. Flacco got bailed out by a lot of fluky catches in the playoffs last year. I still don't know how they won the Super Bowl. They've done a great job in getting a lot of draft picks to rebuild this team, but they absolutely have to try and get out of this contract they're in with Flacco.

Edited by seanbrock
  • Upvote 1

You don't have to light up the stat sheet to be a good quarterback. Joe Flacco is just fine. Yes, the contract is bad, but a lot of contracts are bad.

You don't have to light up the stat sheet to be a good quarterback. Joe Flacco is just fine. Yes, the contract is bad, but a lot of contracts are bad.

I agree, you don't have to light up the stat sheet. Roethlisberger is one of my favorite QB's. He's never been the type f guy to light up the stat sheet but Flacco's number are bad. He's extremely inefficient.

He has nothing to work with. The OL is awful without Matt Birk, the running game is laughable, Torrey Smith is NOT a #1 WR and his other options are a UFA, the finally somewhat useful Tandon Doss, and a skin that Dallas Clark shed 3 or 4 years ago.

Not even good QBs can work with....that. Whatever it is.

Ditching Boldin was really stupid. Worst move of Newsome's career.

Edited by BwareDWare94

He has nothing to work with. The OL is awful without Matt Birk, the running game is laughable, Torrey Smith is NOT a #1 WR and his other options are a UFA, the finally somewhat useful Tandon Doss, and a skin that Dallas Clark shed 3 or 4 years ago.

The worst move of his career was signing Flacco to that ridiculous contract and demanding that contract was the worst move of Flacco's career because he'd still have Boldin and the team would be in much better shape but he clearly would rather make as much money as possible rather than actually win games. I mean, I guess most players try and get as much money as they can but Flacco has to know he didn't deserve that pay day he really hurt his team.

The worst move of his career was signing Flacco to that ridiculous contract and demanding that contract was the worst move of Flacco's career because he'd still have Boldin and the team would be in much better shape but he clearly would rather make as much money as possible rather than actually win games. I mean, I guess most players try and get as much money as they can but Flacco has to know he didn't deserve that pay day he really hurt his team.

These guys get one giant contract, and Flacco earned it. You're basing your opinion of him on 7 games. You simply want to be right about Joe Flacco when you are not. He has never been a bad quarterback and certainly ins't now. He's pretty much Ben 2.0. Rarely gonna light up the stat sheet but you'll be in the game. He is what he is, and he's good enough with the way Baltimore is constructed.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Contract was bad from day one. Some of my friends actually call him Joe Fluke-o lol

I still think he is a good QB, just never thought he was elite.

Contract was bad from day one. Some of my friends actually call him Joe Fluke-o lol

I still think he is a good QB, just never thought he was elite.

I don't think anyone thinks that he's actually elite, but he earned the contract with that playoff run. EVERY great playoff run has some fluky catches. He made a bunch of really good/non fluke throws. The guy earned his payday. Yeah, it's a bit too much, realistically, but it's how the league works.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

He's a good qb. I don't think anyone thought his playoffs last year was how he was always going to be.

As big of a drop-off that Flacco has had from the late stages of the 2012 season to now, one could also argue how horrible of a season Ray Rice is having as well. A lot of people considered Rice to be in the upper echelon of NFL RBs (When combining the threat of rushing and receiving out of the backfield)

I guess i'm just bitter towards Rice because I drafted him and MJD (as my 1-2 punch) in so many of my Fantasy leagues lol. In hindsight, I now look back at those drafts with a sad laughter. Busts galore

• Upvote 1

Rice and Mojo? Ouch.

But ya, even though you won't see my defending Flacco... Ray Rice looks done. I don't know if it is just the line or the horrible QB play... But the guy is sitting at 2.5 yards per carry. It's ugly in Baltimore, man.

Rice and Mojo? Ouch.

But ya, even though you won't see my defending Flacco... Ray Rice looks done. I don't know if it is just the line or the horrible QB play... But the guy is sitting at 2.5 yards per carry. It's ugly in Baltimore, man.

I don't disagree that Rice looks bad this season but everyone was going on about how good of a RB Pierce was and how he was going to push Rice for touches. He's sitting at 2,8 yards a carry also. That o-line is bad.

These guys get one giant contract, and Flacco earned it. You're basing your opinion of him on 7 games. You simply want to be right about Joe Flacco when you are not. He has never been a bad quarterback and certainly ins't now. He's pretty much Ben 2.0. Rarely gonna light up the stat sheet but you'll be in the game. He is what he is, and he's good enough with the way Baltimore is constructed.

This has got to be a joke right? :huh:

Ben is much better than Flacco right now.

• Upvote 1

I had something "click" in my head yesterday when I was watching the Falcons and the Seahawks (first half...lol didn't even bother the second half) because of a brief statement one of the announcers made. I just hadn't thought of it too much until that point. Many of these bright young superstar quarterbacks like Russel Wilson (and great player imho) are signed under the new collective bargaining agreement where they in all honesty don't make a ton of money. With the salary cap system that the NFL has chosen to play under it makes it much better on the team because they can afford so many more talented players to go around them. I certainly realized all the salary cap issues that many teams had, but I forgot totally that unlike some of the teams with established veteran quarterbacks whose salaries take up a significant chunk of their team's caps there are a few teams like the seahawks who can field teams with more depth across the board simply because their quarterback is making less than $1 million total. Duh...my brain admittedly just didn't connect the dots on how much the collective bargaining for rookies was making a difference in teams success. IMHO it makes it very possible for a team in a bad situation to turn it around much more quickly than they once did. (only a couple of years easily especially if they lost an expensive veteran qb and signed a uber-talented rookie).

and obviously not the only factor...but a significant one nonetheless for a team like the seahawks.

Edited by southgadawg
  • Upvote 1

Bware, quit kidding yourself. You know Flacco is an overrated stain and that no player EVER warrants that contract. And comparing him to Ben? Fuck off, lmao.

• Upvote 2

lol @ comparing Flacco to big ben

• Upvote 1

I had something "click" in my head yesterday when I was watching the Falcons and the Seahawks (first half...lol didn't even bother the second half) because of a brief statement one of the announcers made. I just hadn't thought of it too much until that point. Many of these bright young superstar quarterbacks like Russel Wilson (and great player imho) are signed under the new collective bargaining agreement where they in all honesty don't make a ton of money. With the salary cap system that the NFL has chosen to play under it makes it much better on the team because they can afford so many more talented players to go around them. I certainly realized all the salary cap issues that many teams had, but I forgot totally that unlike some of the teams with established veteran quarterbacks whose salaries take up a significant chunk of their team's caps there are a few teams like the seahawks who can field teams with more depth across the board simply because their quarterback is making less than $1 million total. Duh...my brain admittedly just didn't connect the dots on how much the collective bargaining for rookies was making a difference in teams success. IMHO it makes it very possible for a team in a bad situation to turn it around much more quickly than they once did. (only a couple of years easily especially if they lost an expensive veteran qb and signed a uber-talented rookie).

and obviously not the only factor...but a significant one nonetheless for a team like the seahawks.

other thing it did is keep an early pick bust from financially handicapping a team for years, that's how you would end up with teams getting stuck at the bottom of the league for an extended period of time

as far as Flacco I think the main thing his contract signified was an increase in the price for serviceable QBs, I think we can all agree on two things: (1) you need a serviceable QB to be successful in today's NFL and (2) Flacco is a serviceable QB (I didn't say elite, not even good, but serviceable) because of the demands on a QB you can't get away with a string of stop-gaps like you can for most other positions, you've gotta have somebody reliable

Edited by oochymp
  • Upvote 1

On the topic of Ray Rice struggling, Minnesota's line fell to pieces without Matt Birk for that first year, as well.

• Downvote 1

as far as Flacco I think the main thing his contract signified was an increase in the price for serviceable QBs, I think we can all agree on two things: (1) you need a serviceable QB to be successful in today's NFL and (2) Flacco is a serviceable QB (I didn't say elite, not even good, but serviceable) because of the demands on a QB you can't get away with a string of stop-gaps like you can for most other positions, you've gotta have somebody reliable

apparently I forgot to include the third point (happens when I post during class): there are 32 teams that all need a serviceable QB and there are not 32 serviceable QBs in the NFL, so basic rules of supply and demand dictate that serviceable QBs will get a lot of money

• Upvote 2

It's not even uncommon for SB champs to struggle the next year.

That team needed to reload. They'll be ok. Newsome is outstanding at getting talent deep in drafts.

Your definition of serviceable must be pretty broad to include Joe Flacco. I realize the Packers have Rodgers, but say we didn't... I wouldn't want Flacco for 1/10 of his current salary.

I will stick with UDFA Scott Tolzien.

Edited by Favre4Ever
  • Upvote 1

Yeah I would say drafting a gem of a qb late is the absolute best thing a team can do. Of course, thats a lot easier said than done.

Yeah I would say drafting a gem of a qb late is the absolute best thing a team can do. Of course, thats a lot easier said than done.

Of course it is much easier to say look for a QB late than to actually draft one with the 75th overall pick....but the point is even if you draft a qb in the 1st round you are going to have MUCH less going to paying the qb than the same slot would have cost just as recently as when Sam Bradford was drafted.

Your definition of serviceable must be pretty broad to include Joe Flacco. I realize the Packers have Rodgers, but say we didn't... I wouldn't want Flacco for 1/10 of his current salary.

I will stick with UDFA Scott Tolzien.

I loosely define 'serviceable' as QBs I would be comfortable starting weekly, and without listing specifics (though I might do that if I get bored later) I would estimate that my list would probably include about 15-20 QBs

also, has anyone actually looked at Flacco's contract? (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/joe-flacco/) I hadn't and was actually surprised to see how manageable it is for the first few years