RazorStar

Who is the Defensive Player of the Year

I picked Robert Mathis because he's got great stats and plays with scrubs compared to some of these other guys. Houston has Poe, Hali, Johnson, all Pro Bowl guys. Houston's still obviously a baller, and his play has been outstanding as has Poe, Hali and Johnson, that defense is loaded with studs. But here I'd side with Mathis because he's got batter stats and less talent around him. :shrug:

For me it's between Robert Quinn and Justin Houston. What these two guys have been doing for both their respective defenses is nothing short of amazing.

I had Quinn locked for a breakout season, never did I think anything like what he's been able to do so far. This kid is good! Wow!

Interesting that no one from the Chiefs gets any consideration. Derrick Johnson, Justin Houston, Tamba, Berry... No one? Just a thought.

KC is just playing superb D as a unit. Some of these other guys don't have that luxury. The only guy who I would pick for KC would be Justin Houston.

Edited by Bay

Interesting that no one from the Chiefs gets any consideration. Derrick Johnson, Justin Houston, Tamba, Berry... No one? Just a thought.

KC is just playing superb D as a unit. These others guys don't have that luxury. The only guy who I would pick for KC would be Justin Houston.

Wut? Kuechly has a pretty superb D around him. Lots of guys who are nonames, sure, but they are playing well.

KC is just playing superb D as a unit. These others guys don't have that luxury. The only guy who I would pick for KC would be Justin Houston.

Wut? Kuechly has a pretty superb D around him. Lots of guys who are nonames, sure, but they are playing well.

Well Quinn has a dogshit D around him. Watt has a garbage D around him.

Whether you have players around you shouldn't really matter for a DPOY award, it's about what you've done to help improve where your team stands to this point. Tamba Hali should certainly also be in the discussion as well.

Tamba Ali
26 Tackles (4 Assists), 9 Sacks, 4 FF, 1 FR, 1 INT, 1 TD

Robert Quinn:

28 Tackles (3 Assists), 12.0 Sacks, 5 FF, 7 Stuffs

JJ Watt:

33 Tackles (9 Assists), 6.5 Sacks, 3 FF, 2 FR, 10 stuffs, 1 Blocked Kick

I really don't think that the 2 FR, 3 stuffs and the blocked kick on special teams puts Watt above Quinn for me. Not in the slightest at this point. If Quinn continues on this pace, he's going to be hands down the winner of the DPOY. I can't see a defensive back winning this award at this point, I have no specific reason other than I think that voters value the sacks in recent memory more than interceptions. (Doesn't seem to make sense but that's how it has appeared to play out).

Right now I think the frontrunner in voters minds is Kuechly.

We should do a vote at the end of the year for TGP for all the awards the NFL gives out, see how many players are different.

I will show love for Vontaze Burfict.

:yep: After yesterday I would say he is in the running.

Edited by Chernobyl426

Glad Burfict is doing well. Was rooting hard for him.

What do you mean by "yesterday"? Heck, this guy has been a beast from day one! I'm glad the Bengals gave him a chance. Paydaman!

What do you mean by "yesterday"? Heck, this guy has been a beast from day one! I'm glad the Bengals gave him a chance. Paydaman!

He isn't as talented as the rest of the candidates for Defensive MVP. However, he is an absolute beast and has been for a while. If he keeps going at this rate he'll make a good case for LB of the year.

I think Joe Haden is a serious candidate.

• Upvote 1

Lavonte David...

87 tackles

5 sacks

1 INT

• Upvote 1

Won't get it. Not the best LB by far, and on a 2-8 team to boot.

Won't get it. Not the best LB by far, and on a 2-8 team to boot.

Yea, he's in the discussion, or at least deserves to be, but he won't get it because he's on a 2-8 team.

His play speaks for itself.

Not hard to see at all. lol

Edited by BucD
  • Upvote 1

David is amazing and may be the most underrated player in the league. But he will not get any DPOY love. Maybe once the Bucs get some more talent around him people will take more notice.

• Upvote 1

Lavonte David's 14 tackles for loss are the most by a linebacker and tied for second in the league behind the Texans DE J.J. Watt.

2013 NFL tackles for loss

Player Pos. Team TFL

J.J. Watt DE Texans 15

Lavonte David LB Bucs 14

Robert Quinn DE Rams 14

Justin Houston LB Chiefs 11

Robert Mathis LB Colts 11

Mario Williams DE Bills 11

Muhammad Wilkerson DE Jets 11

Lavonte David's 14 tackles for loss are the most by a linebacker and tied for second in the league behind the Texans DE J.J. Watt.

Player Pos. Team TFL

J.J. Watt DE Texans 15

Lavonte David LB Bucs 14

Robert Quinn DE Rams 14

TFL doesn't automatically inaugurate a player for DPOY. Lavonte is a monster, but he isn't at the level of the rest of the competition.

Player Pos. Team TFL

J.J. Watt DE Texans 15

Lavonte David LB Bucs 14

Robert Quinn DE Rams 14

TFL doesn't automatically inaugurate a player for DPOY. Lavonte is a monster, but he isn't at the level of the rest of the competition.

lol it's not just TFL

It's not JUST his stats, which are just as good if not better than the ones being talked about, but it's about what you see when you watch him play.

This is the only place I see people talking about how he's not, but I get it. He's not hyped up in the media like the rest.

Again, it's not hard to see.

I agree that he plays at a high enough level to be mentioned with those guys, but the Bucs are 2-8, the defense as a whole isn't elite and he isn't a well known name. He won't get any mentions, but I do think David is as good as any LB in the league right now. His play has been special.

You can say he plays a certain way on the field but its all reputation and stats. Vontaze, in my opinion, is a top 10 LB and top 5 OLB. Most people wouldn't agree though because he isn't well-known. Same goes for Lavonte.

Vontaze is not in there either. He is a tackling machine, but he has some serious flaws in other parts of his play.

Who doesn't though, other than say Von Miller? Luke Kuechly can't cover anybody to save his life. Granted, coverage for a linebacker is not the most important aspect of the job and I don't think we expect every LB to be shut down... Point being is that most players have those flaws in their game.

Seriously...Thanatos...you're batshit crazy if you think Lavonte "isn't there yet."

But Kuechly is...lawl...

Get off your pedestal man...

the fuck outta here... :yao:

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1