RazorStar

Who is the Defensive Player of the Year

I think this is one of the tightest races we've had in the past few seasons. With the top three players last year facing their own problems a new crop of players has risen to the challenge. My short list for this year.. is not very short. So I've got the one guy who I think is the favourite, and a bunch of guys who are playing at an equivalent or nearly equivalent level.

So my pick would be Luke Kuechly of the Panthers. With the way he has those Panthers playing, he's definitely the front runner in my eyes. But then there are the other guys who I think are doing just as a good a job but probably won't get it.

4-3 DE's and 3-4 OLB's (All basically here on their incredible pass rush prowess)

Justin Houston

Robert Quinn

Tamba Hali

T-Sizzle and Elvis Dumervil

Robert Mathis

3-4 DE

J.J. Watt. Not even having a down year, but the rest of the team sucks he's kind of forgotten about. Being the only good player on your defense is tough.

Cameron Jordan

Muhammad Wilkerson

3-4 NT and 4-3 DTs

Gerald McCoy

Geno! Oh wait he got hurt.

Kyle Williams Om nom nom

Ndamukong Suh

Jurrell Casey

Other Linebackers (the usual suspects)

Von Miller. He's back in form. Prepare your anuses Chiefs.

Lavonte David

Navorro Bowman

Patrick Willis

Corners (Lots of good corner play this year, but I'm limiting it to four guys)

Joe Haden

Alteraun Verner

Patrick Peterson

Richard Sherman

Safeties

TJ Ward

Earl Thomas

Devin McCourty

And in a fair and just world, the number one defensive player of the year would be... Josh Freeman. :p

In any case, look at how many players may have a legit shot at defensive player of the year this year. It's ridiculous. So TGP, who is your guy?

Edited by BringBackTebow
  • Upvote 2

For me it's a guy you didn't even mention, Robert Mathis. :shrug: Leads the league in sacks, 3 forced fumbles, and he isn't surrounded by a ton of talent like some of the other candidates who specialize in pass rushing. Like how Quinn is opposite Long, and Hali and Houston are opposite each other with Poe in the middle, etc. Walden is trash, and while Redding and RJF are solid, they're not of the same quality that those other guys have playing in front of them.

I think Mario Williams deserves a shout out with the other 4-3 DEs.

Could have sworn I put Mathis on the pass rusher list. Dude is having a nice little career resurgence in Indy.

JJ Watt. His numbers aren't the same as they were last year, but that was expected. His numbers are still amazing for a 3-4 DE with the kind of respect he gets from apposing teams.

Earl's been money.

I think Luke Kuechly is worthy of the list.

My vote would have to go to either Cameron Jordan or Robert Mathis. Both of those guys have made a huge impact on their team and both are a big reason why their teams are headed to the playoffs. If I had to choose I'd say Jordan. All of the sudden the Saints are a respectable defense when they were one of the worst ever last year.

Luke Kuechly is definitely up there. Its tough to judge which LB is the best though. Tamba Hali & Justin Houston benefit from each other while Robert Mathis is like a solo wrecking ball. Same for DEs. Robert Quinn benefits from Chris Long so much its hard to put him up there. As of now I'd pick Mathis followed by Quinn, Houston, Hali, Kuechly, and Watt.

And Earl Thomas probably fits somewhere in that mix.

To me it's either Master Luke or JJ Watt. JJ Watt is still a considerable force on a Texans defense that is struggling greatly. Luke is the shot caller on the Panthers defense and is improving with each game, really like what I see out of both. From a numbers standpoint...they not be at the very top, but both mean more to their defenses and teams than one could possibly imagine.

I can see why he was not listed being a rookie and all but Kiko Alonso has been playing really well.

I can see why he was not listed being a rookie and all but Kiko Alonso has been playing really well.

Kiko is definitely a good player and probably the frontrunner for defensive rookie of the year, but when it comes to all the talent on defense he just can't compete.

Cam Jordan can't get no love :(

Props to Razor for hyping him before the season btw. He's turned out to be a beast and a true difference maker for the Saints new revamped defense.

Edited by seanbrock

Kiko is in the conversation, tbh, but when was the last time a DROY was also the DPOY?

I still think its JJ Watt. Luke is second, although one could perhaps argue that Luke is having more of an impact, given that the Panthers are 6-3 and the Texans are 2-7.

Von Miller is the best defensive player in the league. With his suspension and what have you, I am not so sure he wins it. JJ watt would be 2nd. However, every DPOTY in the last 5 years has had his team go onto the playoffs. Only 3 times in the last 20 years has a guy won the DPOTY and his team did not make the playoffs. While it doesn't eliminate Watt (and it shouldn't) it makes it a lot less likely. Probably also puts Robert Quinn out of the picture as well.

So... I think I have to go with Justin Houston for the time being.

Kiko is in the conversation, tbh, but when was the last time a DROY was also the DPOY?

I still think its JJ Watt. Luke is second, although one could perhaps argue that Luke is having more of an impact, given that the Panthers are 6-3 and the Texans are 2-7.

LT is/was the only rookie to do that.

Von Miller and JJ Watt are pretty clearly the best defensive players in the league, but the Saints defense went from 31st in ppg to 5th and from giving up a record setting 440 ypg to being the 7th stingiest defense in the league.Cameron Jordan is CLEARLY the best player on that defense by pretty damn good amount. You can say Rob Ryan is the reason for that, but how come Dallas' defense has improved without him? Who has more impact on their defense this year than Cameron Jordan?

Wait what? Dallas' defense has improved without him? What game were you watching Sunday?

And if we're discussing the Most Valuable Defensive Player, then that is probably Cameron Jordan.

DPOY, I thought, was simply for the best defensive player. Which is why it should be JJ Watt. Since he's on a losing team, it probably won't be him, in which case it should go to #2, Master Luke.

Edited by Thanatos19

Cam Jordan can't get no love :(

Props to Razor for hyping him before the season btw. He's turned out to be a beast and a true difference maker for the Saints new revamped defense.

I hyped him coming out and was pissed that the Saints drafted him to try and play 4-3 DE. I believe that I mocked him to the Steelers. Cameron Heyward's looking like an alright consolation prize now that he's finally starting, but I digress.

Cameron Jordan's amazing, but he's still not as good as J.J. Watt.

Von Miller and JJ Watt are pretty clearly the best defensive players in the league, but the Saints defense went from 31st in ppg to 5th and from giving up a record setting 440 ypg to being the 7th stingiest defense in the league.Cameron Jordan is CLEARLY the best player on that defense by pretty damn good amount. You can say Rob Ryan is the reason for that, but how come Dallas' defense has improved without him? Who has more impact on their defense this year than Cameron Jordan?

I think, generally, all of these guys are game changers though. They all mean a lot to their respective teams.. That's why we are talking about them as being in the running for DPOTY. The problem with Jordan is... He's not even the best at his position. Granted, as I mentioned earlier... Rarely does a player win the award on a bad team... but is that how it should be? Should we just give Cameron Jordan the award because he's on a winning squad?

I think it's obviously J.J. Watt; people just look past him because he's incredible play is now commonplace after what he did last season. Von Miller would be right there with him if not for the suspension.

The rest of the guys in the conversation TGP has done a good job of mentioning in this thread, because that's what TGP does.

Hate to say this, but... Robert Quinn

Interesting that no one from the Chiefs gets any consideration. Derrick Johnson, Justin Houston, Tamba, Berry... No one? Just a thought.

Razor listed both of your OLB and I named Houston my DPOTY up until this point. :shrug:

Razor listed both of your OLB and I named Houston my DPOTY up until this point. :shrug:

Yes, I'm aware of Razor. He named about half of the defenders in the league. lol. You're a Chiefs fan, so you don't count. :p

I was just curious as to why they gets no love from anyone else.