AL_Royalty

Ohio State is new #2. Thoughts?

FSU is considered better than OSU because while their schedule was slightly easier, they won every game by 2 touchdowns or more.

But like I said unless they lose, Ohio State deserves to be the 2nd team in the country.

Guest Phailadelphia

Auburn played above their ceiling and caught a huge break to win. I don't think they're better than Bama just like I didn't think LSU was better than Bama when they beat them in the regular season 2 years ago and then got walloped in the NCG.

Edit: Which isn't to say Auburn isn't REALLY good. They are. But they won't beat Bama twice, and i don't know that they're better than FSU.

Edited by Phailadelphia

FSU is considered better than OSU because while their schedule was slightly easier, they won every game by 2 touchdowns or more.

But like I said unless they lose, Ohio State deserves to be the 2nd team in the country.

From everything I've read, they can win by that much because of their defense. Both OSU and FSU seem to be offensive powerhouses, but OSU lacks a defense. FSU has a pretty damn good defense.

But there is no chance Bama plays FSU in the championship game. If Mizzou win the SEC and Ohio State loses, Mizzou will be in the championship game.*

*If above the scenario plays out and Alabama stays ahead of us, I will murder-suicide the city of Tuscaloosa.

• Upvote 1

*If above the scenario plays out and Alabama stays ahead of us, I will murder-suicide the city of Tuscaloosa.

Might as well get your guns now.

Glad you have faith in us and OSU.

But really, we'd have a better record, a conference championship, and a win over the top 5 team that beat Bama. I think that would push us ahead. Guess we'll see though.

How do they not deserve to go? Is it because of that horrible loss that they had in week... Oh, wait. Maybe it's because they their lame duck offense could never hang against the juggernaut defense of... Who, exactly? Is it because they were unjustly propelled up the standings over other undefeated teams? Nope, that isn't the case either.

It's easy to say, "Oh, they don't deserve to be there. Everyone knows that HURP DURP DERP LULZ!" especially when you give nothing to back that up. I usually like seeing what you have to say about a topic, even if I don't agree with it, but this is a clown post bro (thanks Bryce Harper.)

Bottom line is they made it through sanctions and still had an undefeated season. Then, when the games counted for something, they didn't fold up the tent and show their asses. They took care of business. They've won 24 straight games, the only team in the country to do so at this point if I'm not mistaken. If they make it 25 against the nations toughest defense in the Big Ten championship game, they most certainly deserve to be there. If Florida State does, so does tOSU. Let's not forget that the BCS standings do NOT take into account margin of victory, so since both have played bad teams but beat them all, they get in.

The Buckeyes even dropped out of the #2 spot and hung tough, week in and week out, until all but one team in front of them lost their way out of the NCG. Bottom line is that winning by 1 is better than losing by any amount of points. Besides, let's not act like Auburn is this unbeatable super team. They are one freak tipped last second hail Mary and one missed Field goal away from being a three loss team and completely out of the conversation. Mizzou, while putting together one hell of a surprising season, has routinely let teams score on them. I really like the Tigers, but they aren't a team that I would say is head and shoulders above Ohio State.

Saying that you think they'll get beat up in the NCG would be one thing, but saying that they don't deserve to be there is another entirely. As far as I can see, they most certainly do.

If Auburn wins the SEC championship then there is no doubt in my mind that they deserve to go in over Ohio State. You can't say "Oh Ohio State is winning and it doesn't matter how" and then use that same argument against Auburn i/e "Lucky hail mary, lucky missed field goal." If Ohio State beats Michigan State, I won't be too upset about them going but at the same time I think Auburn deserves it more. They beat the seemingly unbeatable reigning champions.

They beat Johnny Football led Texas A&M. Ohio State beat.....Wisconsin. Pales in comparison. Ohio State does not escape a schedule with LSU, Alabama, Texas A&M, Georgia, and even possibly Ole Miss..undefeated. It just wouldn't happen and in my eyes that should be a big deciding factor.

Edited by BJORN

I can't stand Ohio State fans bringing up that the Buckeyes are on a 24-game winning streak and if voters are factoring that in at all they should lose their ballot. What happened last year should have NO effect on this year's rankings. Retarded argument is retarded.

And also fighting back from sanctions is a stupid argument as well because it's the school's fault they had to deal with the sanctions. Derp.

• Upvote 2

How do they not deserve to go? Is it because of that horrible loss that they had in week... Oh, wait. Maybe it's because they their lame duck offense could never hang against the juggernaut defense of... Who, exactly? Is it because they were unjustly propelled up the standings over other undefeated teams? Nope, that isn't the case either.

It's easy to say, "Oh, they don't deserve to be there. Everyone knows that HURP DURP DERP LULZ!" especially when you give nothing to back that up. I usually like seeing what you have to say about a topic, even if I don't agree with it, but this is a clown post bro (thanks Bryce Harper.)

Bottom line is they made it through sanctions and still had an undefeated season. Then, when the games counted for something, they didn't fold up the tent and show their asses. They took care of business. They've won 24 straight games, the only team in the country to do so at this point if I'm not mistaken. If they make it 25 against the nations toughest defense in the Big Ten championship game, they most certainly deserve to be there. If Florida State does, so does tOSU. Let's not forget that the BCS standings do NOT take into account margin of victory, so since both have played bad teams but beat them all, they get in.

The Buckeyes even dropped out of the #2 spot and hung tough, week in and week out, until all but one team in front of them lost their way out of the NCG. Bottom line is that winning by 1 is better than losing by any amount of points. Besides, let's not act like Auburn is this unbeatable super team. They are one freak tipped last second hail Mary and one missed Field goal away from being a three loss team and completely out of the conversation. Mizzou, while putting together one hell of a surprising season, has routinely let teams score on them. I really like the Tigers, but they aren't a team that I would say is head and shoulders above Ohio State.

Saying that you think they'll get beat up in the NCG would be one thing, but saying that they don't deserve to be there is another entirely. As far as I can see, they most certainly do.

I just want to point out that Mizzou has given up less PPG than Ohio State.

They beat Johnny Football led Texas A&M. Ohio State beat.....Wisconsin. Pales in comparison. Ohio State does not escape a schedule with LSU, Alabama, Texas A&M, Georgia, and even possibly Ole Miss..undefeated. It just wouldn't happen and in my eyes that should be a big deciding factor.

Wisconsin has the 19th ranked offense (TAMU is 4) and the 6th ranked defense (TAMU is 105). TAMU's SOS is 1st while Wisconsin is 30th. That is a big difference, but it's not like Wisconsin has just walked through their schedule. Let's not act like TAMU would just walk over Wisconsin, especially considering that TAMU is 108th in rush defense and Wisconsin is 8th in rushing.

Georgia has the 48th ranked defense, and the 43rd ranked run defense. Georgia has the 16th ranked defense. Again, a very real possibility that Wisconsin wins this. SOS is 8.

LSU has the 26th ranked offense and the 20th ranked defense (44th ranked run defense). SOS is 7.

I won't even bring up Alabama. They'd beat every B1G team, IMO.

Ole Miss has the 44th ranked defense (53rd ranked rush defense) and the 22nd ranked offense. SOS is 21.

SOS obviously plays a factor here, but come on... let's not act like these teams would roll all over Wisconsin. Outside of Alabama, these are all pretty even match-ups. I emphasized opponents' rush defense because Wisconsin is one of the top running teams in the country.

Interesting fact that I found, Minnesota (as of last week) had the 26th SOS. :megusta:

Here's something we can all agree on: not having a playoff system is stupid and its awesome that this is the last year without one.

• Upvote 2

Another note from my stat-digging, the Big Ten currently has three top-10 defenses. (MSU, Wisconsin, Iowa).

Two of them have lost to Ohio State. Then there is Michigan State.

EDIT: Forgot to include them. :p

Edited by Vikingfan465

Ohio State is getting in if they beat MSU, no doubt about it. Are they REALLY the 2nd best team in the nation? I really don't believe so. I'd see them as 2 to 4 loss team in the SEC, but they will get their chance to prove people wrong. Assuming they beat the Spartans of course, but if they lose then they really just proved everyone right.

As an FSU fan, I just hope we avoid an epic choke against Duke because playing for the title game is a huge deal for me after seeing this program waddle around in mediocrity for years while the Gators brought home national titles to Gainesville. Even if Winston gets suspended, I think we have a good chance because we are just loaded with playmakers everywhere. All the top recruiting classes are actually paying off. I'm just looking forward to the chance of playing an elite team to see where we stack up. Because we got screwed by getting stuck with fuckin' Northern Illinois in the Orange Bowl last year.

Wisconsin has the 19th ranked offense (TAMU is 4) and the 6th ranked defense (TAMU is 105). TAMU's SOS is 1st while Wisconsin is 30th. That is a big difference, but it's not like Wisconsin has just walked through their schedule. Let's not act like TAMU would just walk over Wisconsin, especially considering that TAMU is 108th in rush defense and Wisconsin is 8th in rushing.

Georgia has the 48th ranked defense, and the 43rd ranked run defense. Georgia has the 16th ranked defense. Again, a very real possibility that Wisconsin wins this. SOS is 8.

LSU has the 26th ranked offense and the 20th ranked defense (44th ranked run defense). SOS is 7.

I won't even bring up Alabama. They'd beat every B1G team, IMO.

Ole Miss has the 44th ranked defense (53rd ranked rush defense) and the 22nd ranked offense. SOS is 21.

SOS obviously plays a factor here, but come on... let's not act like these teams would roll all over Wisconsin. Outside of Alabama, these are all pretty even match-ups. I emphasized opponents' rush defense because Wisconsin is one of the top running teams in the country.

Interesting fact that I found, Minnesota (as of last week) had the 26th SOS. :megusta:

Meant no disrespect to Wisconsin but Auburn has to go through 4 or 5 teams which are either better than Wisconsin or on the same level as them while Wisconsin is the only team of that calibre that OSU has faced.

I don't think MSU is any good, either. OSU will beat them soundly. I watched the entire MSU-Notre Dame game a few months ago and MSU is not impressive at all. Notre Dame, who is mediocre as hell, dominated their asses. OSU will take care of business and face off vs FSU for the NC, where they will probably get their asses beat.

Edited by BradyFan81
  • Upvote 1

I don't think MSU is any good, either. OSU will beat them soundly. I watched the entire MSU-Notre Dame game a few months ago and MSU is not impressive at all. Notre Dame, who is mediocre as hell, dominated their asses. OSU will take care of business and face off vs FSU for the NC, where they will probably get their asses beat.

You watched their one loss and determined that. They also won 11 games. They probably won't win but their defense is insane.

• Upvote 1

They looked bad against Minnesota, as well. Langford should destroy OSU, but I don't see Cook doing much. I think this game comes down to how MSU's defense handles both Hyde and Miller. They didn't handle David Cobb very well.

Wisconsin kinda sucks. Penn State just went in there, and Hackenberg shredded that defense. He's a very impressive 18 year old, but an 18 year old nonetheless. It's pretty bad that they're the only somewhat legit team Ohio State has faced and beaten.

Edited by Sarge

BJORN, Ricky, and Blots: The computer that I'm on still won't let me quote or paste.

First to BJORN: My point isn't that Auburn isn't good because they won those close games. My point is that they're not this God team that everyone Is suddenly making them out to be. They're just as vulnerable as OSU is, and they're also just as tough, but they have one loss, so if OSU wins out they're in. Makes perfect sense to me. Also, you can't really judge who gets into the NCG off of what COULD happen IF team "A" WOULD have played in a different conference. Reason being: you and I and everyone else really have no idea what WOULD happen. If Batman would have had to face all those super villains without his gadgets, it would have been a much shorter comic series. All we know is what did happen, and that is Auburn running through an SEC that has no defense currently, outside of LSU who still isn't playing "LSU defense" this season, and did it in dramatic fashion. OSU did the same thing in a conference that is pretty offensively challenged right now.

Next up is BLOTS: That's kinda my point. I've never said that OSU's defense is good. It's easily the weakest link on the team, but they can score with anyone, especially with the SEC teams. I have a GREAT deal of respect for what Mizzou has done this season, and just so you know, I watched Maty Mauk play in the state high school championship game here in Ohio in person. Being a Chiefs fan born in KC, MO, I always keep an eye on the Tigers and root for them every year. The fact that they give up a little bit less PPG than OSU doesn't make their defense good though. It just means that they played a little better at times, imo.

Finally, RICKY: Last season has everything to do with this current scenario, and it's certainly more pertinent than any what-if and would-have speculations. Where do you think they come up with preseason rankings? That's the main thing that has OSU ranked as high as they are: where they were LAST SEASON. If their preseason ranking wouldn't have been so high, we wouldn't even be having this conversation right now. When Boise State was briefly in the NC conversation, it wasn't because they went undefeated for one season. it was because they they won for years and finally taken seriously. What happened last year has an EXTREME effect on this season's rankings. There's no way to argue otherwise, but you're right about one thing: retarded argument is retarded. Derp. I don't really care if you hate the Buckeyes or think them unworthy, but don't let that force you to say nonsensical shit like this.

Side note: It's not the "school's fault" that they had sanctions, btw. It was the fault of a handful of players basically making a Plato's Closet type transaction. I guess players shouldn't sell to thrift stores, either. it breaks NCAA rules. lol.

• Upvote 1

Finally, RICKY: Last season has everything to do with this current scenario, and it's certainly more pertinent than any what-if and would-have speculations. Where do you think they come up with preseason rankings? That's the main thing that has OSU ranked as high as they are: where they were LAST SEASON. If their preseason ranking wouldn't have been so high, we wouldn't even be having this conversation right now. When Boise State was briefly in the NC conversation, it wasn't because they went undefeated for one season. it was because they they won for years and finally taken seriously. What happened last year has an EXTREME effect on this season's rankings. There's no way to argue otherwise, but you're right about one thing: retarded argument is retarded. Derp. I don't really care if you hate the Buckeyes or think them unworthy, but don't let that force you to say nonsensical shit like this.

Side note: It's not the "school's fault" that they had sanctions, btw. It was the fault of a handful of players basically making a Plato's Closet type transaction. I guess players shouldn't sell to thrift stores, either. it breaks NCAA rules. lol.

So we should factor in their 24-game winning streak? Give me a break. Preseason ranking is based on what the voters think will happen THIS SEASON. I can see how last year may have some effect on preseason rankings but at this point it should have none. What I said was the 24-game winning streak should have no effect at this point....and I'm right. Why should it? Only the 12-game winning streak should.

Let me ask you this. Do the computers factor in last season? Nope....okay....why should the human voters? HERP...DERP....JOHNNY.

By the way your own head coach doesn't think you should be in the national championship...

Bar3wKKIUAAQRpr.jpg

• Upvote 1

I hate that quote. Its comparing a 1-loss SEC team to a 1-loss Big 10 team, not an undefeated one.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I hate that quote. Its comparing a 1-loss SEC team to a 1-loss Big 10 team, not an undefeated one.

It still rings true here. It says nothing about comparing it's saying how does a 12-1 team from the SEC with that throttle of a schedule get left which is going to happen one way or the other.

It still rings true here. It says nothing about comparing it's saying how does a 12-1 team from the SEC with that throttle of a schedule get left which is going to happen one way or the other.

If it's not even meant in the way that you're using it, meaning that you've taken it out of context, how the hell does it ring true? If he's talking about a one loss team vs. a one loss team, you're just playing Bill O'Reilly. Way to put your own spin on something that has nothing to do with your argument. A current affair wants their anchor back.

I wasn't saying that the first 12 games should be factored into the voting. I was saying that it plays a factor in their current ranking, which it clearly does. You've admitted as much. Do you think that if the Buckeyes went 6-6 last season they would have been ranked #2 to start the year based on what was expected of them this season? if you respond to that with anything other than a flat out "no" you're just being a :troll: Add to that the fact that their 12-0 THIS season to keep their ranking as high as it is while everyone in front of them FUCKING LOST, and you get tOSU playing in the NCG with FSU.

Who knows if they'll bet blown out or not (well apparently you and everyone else does. Start gambling heavily if you can see the future.) . Hell, they still have to beat Michigan State. If they do that though, they deserve the chance to get blown out, because they earned it. You really believe that a team who was ranked #2 in the country and won every game that they played while all but one team ranked ahead of them has lost doesn't deserve a chance to face their accusers? An undefeated team WON themselves out of their ranking Is what you're saying, and it makes no sense when everyone else LOST their way out of theirs.

EDIT: Almost forgot. HERP-DURP-DURPITTY-DURP!

Edited by B-isforBowe

Auburn would beat OSU. This is why we need a playoff system. But I'm not going to put Auburn in ahead of OSU, they can only play who is on their schedule.

I do think Florida State is going to blow OSU out.