Sign in to follow this  
housemd

CJ wants a bigger role

Chris Johnson said that if the Titans don't plan on giving him a bigger role next season, then he wants to go to another team.

Johnson, a strong candidate for release thanks to his $8 million 2014 salary and 3.86 YPC in 2013, is poking the bear here. "I feel like if they are not going to use me the way I am supposed to be used and let me be the horse, then I would rather them let me move on," he said. "Their money would be wasted on me." Johnson doesn't like that he hasn't topped 300 carries in any of the last three seasons and was often yanked in goal-line and short-yardage situations. He noted that in order to hit a home run, he has "to be fed." CJ?K is likely to get his wish as he's refusing to take any kind of pay cut, meaning his six-year reign in Tennessee is likely over.

this is such a stupid commentary from him, first of all pointing to 300 carries is stupid because his totals the last three seasons have been 262, 276, and 279, so he's talking about a difference of about 2-3 carries per game, not sure that'd make much of a difference, second he's asking for more goalline touches, which isn't his forte, in his career he's had 82 carries inside the opponent's 10 yardline which have produced 22 TDs, about a 25% TD rate and most years he's been around that percentage (I can't find splits from inside the 5, which is what I would really consider goalline carries) in 2012 his 9 carries inside the ten resulted in -8 (yes, that's negative 8) yards, there's a reason he doesn't get goalline carries

I will say that I wouldn't mind seeing him get those 2-3 extra touches a game through the air, every time we've gone to him on a screen it's been a big gain, so I don't know why that's not a bigger part of the game plan (admittedly there's a bit of a chicken/egg argument going where if it were a bigger part of our game plan teams would be better prepared, but why not give it a try and find out?)

All this guy does is talk and make demands but he really hasn't done shit in like 4 years now. How about instead of running his mouth he hits the film room. Maybe he could figure out how to run between the tackles if he did that. This guy is a joke. Titans are dumb if they don't cut him.

• Upvote 1

Maybe a fresh start for C.J on a different team and system might be what he needs. I'd like to see what happens.

No doubt that the Titans will release him this off-season. It's pretty clear he has no interest in being a Titan anymore.

No way they run with the guys they have on the roster behind him right now though, right? I mean, that would be a pretty atrocious backfield in an already struggling offense. Perhaps they will have their eye on someone in this years draft?

No way they run with the guys they have on the roster behind him right now though, right? I mean, that would be a pretty atrocious backfield in an already struggling offense. Perhaps they will have their eye on someone in this years draft?

no, a Shonn Greene/Jackie Battle backfield is not a formula for success, but there are some interesting players hitting free agency, with Daren McFadden and Knowshon Moreno heading a pretty impressive list, and we'd probably draft someone (no idea who's any good in the draft, haven't started looking at that yet)

EDIT: looking again, CJ and Greene are actually the only RBs we have under contract for next season, so regardless of whether we cut CJ we will be signing or drafting another back, it's just a question of what the expectations are from that back, if CJ is cut we'll be adding a starting caliber back, or at least someone who can pair with Greene for a good 1-2 punch, if CJ returns then we'll be adding depth

Edited by oochymp

Darren McFadden is an automatic red flag; only because of injuries ofcourse. I feel bad for him. He'd be a top RB in this league without a doubt in my opinion if he could only stay healthy. I'd love for him to get a fresh start somewhere having success staying healthy.

Darren McFadden is an automatic red flag; only because of injuries ofcourse. I feel bad for him. He'd be a top RB in this league without a doubt in my opinion if he could only stay healthy. I'd love for him to get a fresh start somewhere having success staying healthy.

he's definitely an injury risk, but if he can stay healthy he'll be a solid committee back, other free agent RBs this year include MJD (talk about injury risk) Donald Brown, Rashard Mendenhall (a solid complimentary back) Andre Brown, Ben Tate, there's a pretty good group to choose from

he's definitely an injury risk, but if he can stay healthy he'll be a solid committee back, other free agent RBs this year include MJD (talk about injury risk) Donald Brown, Rashard Mendenhall (a solid complimentary back) Andre Brown, Ben Tate, there's a pretty good group to choose from

I agree. It's a nice talented pool to choose from. Each have their concerns but having Shon Greene help carry the load should help. So what do you think about the Titans rushing situation? Is it C.J, bad offensive line play, both? Or possibly scheme etc? How would you prefer the Titans handle/address the situation?

Edited by dutchff7

Heard Cleveland wants another overrated RB..maybe they can strike gold with CJ :smug:

Edited by ATL

In the spirit of what Sean said, this guy needs to learn to run the ball more than he runs his mouth. It's ALWAYS the same story from this guy. Had one great year, hasn't done shit else, won't shut up. He's the Joe Flacco of running backs without the ring. And we're walking, and we're walking...

• Upvote 1

In the spirit of what Sean said, this guy needs to learn to run the ball more than he runs his mouth. It's ALWAYS the same story from this guy. Had one great year, hasn't done shit else, won't shut up. He's the Joe Flacco of running backs without the ring. And we're walking, and we're walking...

really? comparing him to Joe Flacco? that guy doesn't talk nearly as much as CJI'mgonnahit5K

Honestly, regardless of what he does on the field (which isn't a whole lot as pointed out), it's his attitude that would really scare me off if I were a front office guy. He is just always a distraction... He's always in the news for something he has said or something he wants. It just gets old... really old.

I am sure there is some GM out there who needs a RB really badly that likes his upside and will deal with the other issues... And maybe it works out. If a Cleveland is looking at a QB - WR duo in the draft (which I think they should), do they hit up a Chris Johnson if he were to be cut?

Bad Chris Johnson is still better than a good Willis McGehee... right?

And if he were to fall into that type of situation... He is probably getting a lot of carries to take the pressure off his young QB and he would be happy. MAYBE.. just maybe it could work.

However, as the next RBs coach of the Cleveland Browns, I am going to have to fight against his signing. I would rather work with YouGoBanana and a young drafted talent with the fire, passion, and drive that I don't see from CJ1k

Edited by Favre4Ever

IDK. I've always cheered for the guy to do well. I doubt he'd be willing to sign for significantly less then his previous deal, but I hope all he needs is a change of scenery. Itd be a shame for that kinda talent to go to waste regardless of how much of an airhead he may be.

Titans GM Ruston Webster failed to endorse Chris Johnson as his 2014 running back at coach Ken Whisenhunt's introductory press conference.

According to ESPN's Ed Werder, Johnson is "not likely" to remain with the Titans in 2014. This isn't new news, just further confirmation that the Titans are ready to move on from their enigmatic lead runner. Johnson isn't worth anywhere near the $8 million he's slated for 2014 after averaging only 3.86 yards per carry this season. His effort level wasn't there for all 16 games.

How about you shut the fuck up :shrug:

The Nashville Tennssean still fully expects the Titans to release Chris Johnson.

Per beat writer Jim Wyatt, it's not a matter of "if" Johnson is released, but "when." Johnson is scheduled to earn $8 million in 2014, a year after he posted 1,077 yards rushing and a 3.86 YPC mark. He also wasn't 100 percent "in" games, as his effort appeared to come and go. The Titans want to use Shonn Greene more next season and will likely get a similar player to Johnson to complement him, just one that is younger and much cheaper than Johnson. CJ?K won't have trouble finding another job, but he's likely going to be unhappy with the monetary value of the offers he receives. He still has some juice in his legs.

Chris Johnson reportedly suffered a meniscus tear in Week 3 and will have surgery to repair it Tuesday.

In a credit to his underrated durability, Johnson didn't miss a game for the fifth straight season and wasn't even on the injury report until December. However, we wouldn't use this injury as a complete excuse for his meager 1,077 rushing yards on 3.86 YPC. Even with a vastly improved offensive line, the artist formerly known as CJ2K ran similarly to the way he did in 2011 and 2012, when he combined to average 4.25 YPC and gain 1145.5 rushing yards per season. Johnson's meniscus repair comes with a 4-6 week timetable, meaning he'll be nearly healthy by the time the Titans release him and he hits the open market in March. However, he'll be disappointed by the offers he receives as a 28-year-old back that's coming off knee surgery with 2,014 career touches on his resume. Jan 27 - 8:16 AM

Edited by ATL

his durability has never been a question, but durability paired with a shade over mediocrity (and it's hard to argue he hasn't declined to at best a shade over mediocre) isn't worth $8M, I'd be happy to keep him at 1/3 to 1/2 of that price

This guy is everything that people are disgusted with in the modern athlete. First he's all butt-hurt over not being used enough. Now that he's finished his less than productive season, he was injured in week 3, so it's not his fault. If he was hurt in week 3 though and couldn't perform up to his usual play maker standards (lol), then why in the fuck was he whining about his number of touches? Shouldn't he have been angry that the team was potentially jeopardizing his career?

Hey, CJ. Get your story straight you fucking blowhard, egotistical, under the bus throwing, asshat of a horrible teammate. Please go away and never speak again.

Thank you, sincerely,

Everyone who's ever wasted time paying attention to anything that you said, ever.

I'm not mad Air. The guy is an idiot. It's as simple as that. People like that just irritate me. Nothing's ever his fault, has an excuse for everything, better than everyone else, etc... On top of that, he has cash validation. Wait til I get my money right. Was you sayin' sumpin'? Uh uh, you can't tell me nothin'.

I'm not mad Air. The guy is an idiot. It's as simple as that. People like that just irritate me. Nothing's ever his fault, has an excuse for everything, better than everyone else, etc... On top of that, he has cash validation. Wait til I get my money right. Was you sayin' sumpin'? Uh uh, you can't tell me nothin'.

Except, he's not like that at all. Every time he's had success in his career? He's credited to his offensive line and the others around him. He doesn't go out and get in trouble with the law. He plays through pretty serious injuries even though he doesn't have to.

And because he says he wants to run for 2k or 3k or whatever the fuck goal he sets each year, how does that make him an idiot? No one called AP an idiot for saying he wanted to break Emmitt's record in 5 years or whatever it was, even though what he'd have to average would have been ungodly.

Is the "I want the ball more" annoying? Yeah, sure. Does it make him an idiot? No, I don't see how wanting to do more work makes him an idiot.

You've got some weird hate going on for a guy who has accomplished more than most RBs in NFL history can ever say, and that includes more stuff than just his arguably greatest season from an RB ever. He's been a damn good player over the years who seems to be "winding down" in terms of his skill.

There's several things I have no hesitation in saying:

He's always given it 100%

He was an incredible player, even if for only a short period of time.

He's never represented the Titans in a bad light

I'll never hold any ill will towards the guy just because he wants to do more. You can hate him for your extremely stupid reasons all you'd like, though.

Former NFL RB Terrell Davis questioned Chris Johnson's effort.

It's notable because we've noticed similar issues while watching Johnson run over the past three seasons. "When I watch film, I don't see the effort in him," Davis said. "And I never, ever want to question somebody's effort. But ... the tape, it doesn't lie. And I don't see the desire I saw when he was Chris Johnson, the no-big-contract Chris Johnson." Pro Football Focus ranked CJ?K 30th among 32 qualifiers in yards after contact per attempt this season. As Davis put it, he's no longer "willing to bang your head against the wall if the wall is not breaking down." Johnson is fully expected to be released by the Titans before the new league year opens.

Profootballtalk.com reports the Titans will "soon begin attempting to trade" Chris Johnson.

It's essentially the same report as Saturday's from the Nashville Tennessean. The Titans are trying to salvage something, anything, for the player they blew a six-year, $55.26 million contract on back in September of 2011. The deal included $30 million guaranteed, and Johnson has never been the same. Going on age 29 with an $8 million base salary, Johnson has little or no trade value.