Favre4Ever

Super Bowl XLVIII - The Game of Thrones

22 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win SBXLVIII

• Seattle Seahawks
    • Denver Broncos

I honestly don't know. All I can say is I can't wait. This is definitely the most excited I've been for a Super Bowl in a long time, and it's not just because my team is in it. It's the game everyone wanted from Week 1. Best offense, best defense, turn it up.

If our defense wasn't missing a starter at every position I would feel a lot better, and would be predicting a decisive win. I just don't think we have the speed to chase Wilson around the backfield. Damn I wish Von was playing. I actually feel pretty bad for him getting to the playoffs and the big game and having to watch from the sidelines, that has to hurt.

I think the first quarter could decide the game. It will be tough on the Hawks if we come out with a couple early scores and get a lead. The Hawks offense has struggled when it's been forced to be one-dimensional, and they can't rely on beast mode if they get too far behind. Even if that doesn't happen, I think Wilson is going to have to win the game on his arm. Despite everyone going to the "well they always have the lead so nobody runs" wheelhouse, our run D is actually pretty good, and has been damn impressive this post-season especially, led by Terrance "The Mountain" Clegane... I mean Knighton. (great read posted by ATL btw). He basically won us the Pats game single-handedly playing out of his skin.

I'm not prepared to post a score prediction, and don't know if I will this week, I just want to watch the game.

The other big factor in this game (Than mentioned it) is going to be the refs. The Hawks are the most penalized team in the league, and I think the Broncos are something like 4th. I expect there will be plenty of calls and non-calls for everyone to complain about. It will be interesting to see if they let them play or if Terry McAulay's crew will call a strict game.

Good luck to both squads.

Yeah, that's another thing. I would love to see Champ have an awesome game and then retire. Manning has said that he's definitely playing next year win or lose, so I expect Champ's career to follow his. One last hurrah (even at safety) next year would be fine by me.

The Niners run D is a lot better than Denver's and Lynch shredded them.

• Upvote 2

That's been Lynch all season long in regards to media. Where have you been, BC?

Lynch is seriously one of the classiest players in the league. He's one of the few players that is truly committed to the game..and would probably play for a small amount of money. He does all his talking on the field...like more players should be. It's not about the cameras, the mics, and all that shit..it's about winning..and that's how he's been for a while.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Richard Sherman lined up at right outside cornerback three times during the entire regular season.

As Mike Clay notes in his Super Bowl Rankings article, Sherman simply isn't a shadow corner. He lines up at left corner 80 percent of the time, and moves to safety on another 15 percent. Thomas, meanwhile, lines up wide to Peyton Manning's left on 48 percent of his snaps. The two stars will face off plenty, but Sherman will see more of Eric Decker. Byron Maxwell will work against Thomas and Walter Thurmond III will look to slow Wes Welker in the slot. Jan 28 - 9:59 AM

Source: Mike Clay's Super Bowl XLVIII Rankings

Called that shit.

Also, Marshawn Lynch has had an amazing career..and if he put Seattle on his back to a SB ring..it would make him almost a sure HOF'er.

Lynch a sure HOF'er? Are you high?

LOL! Marshawn Lynch is not a sure fire HOF'er. He won't even be in the discussion.

Stop with the dick sucking.

• Upvote 1

When Lynch retires I guarantee Lynch will be in the HOF. Just my thoughts. He's got plenty of years left in him, and he's on a great young team that is still on the rise. Didn't mean to come off as him being a HOF'er as of this year :laugh:

Anyway

Coach Pete Carroll said Percy Harvin (hip, concussion) "had another great day [Tuesday] and a great week last week."

Carroll reiterated the obvious by saying Harvin is part of the game plan. The ex-Viking has played on just 39 snaps so far this season, but he's going to be involved in the majority of receiving packages as well as the return game come Sunday. During the Divisional Round win, Harvin saw four targets on just 19 snaps before getting knocked out by a concussion. Our Mike Clay has conservatively projected Harvin for four catches, 49 yards and 0.4 touchdowns against the Broncos.
Source: fieldgulls.com
Jan 29 - 8:51 AM

That's been Lynch all season long in regards to media. Where have you been, BC?

Well it's pretty obvious that he lacks social skills from his childhood which is completely understandable. I just think he swallow some of that pride and give a little insight to what it's like to be apart of this 2014 seahawks family. Based on the way Deion asks if he's okay its kinda like the same thing as askin... Marshawn are you high?

'06 Bears: 13-3, #1 seed, 26.7 points per game, 15.9 points allowed per game

Offense: 3281 passing yards, 24 TDs, 20 INTs, 1918 rushing yards, 14 TDs

Defense: 3116 passing yards, 18 TDs, 24 INTs, 1590 rushing yards, 7 TDs

'13 Seahawks: 13-3, #1 seed, 26.1 points per game, 14.4 points allowed per game

Offense: 3236 passing yards, 27 TDs, 9 INT, 2188 rushing yards, 14 TDs

Defense: 2752 passing yards, 16 TDs, 28 INTs, 1626 rushing yards, 4 TDs

If the Broncos win on Sunday are people going to say, "Well, he's lucky he didn't play a better QB" like people say about the Colts/Bears SB?

I don't think that's a viable excuse. Wilson has struggled lately, but I doubt he'll struggle on Sunday at a Grossman-Esque type level.

Grossman was a very different QB

Wilson takes care of the ball much more effectively. He also has greater elusiveness and is able to threaten teams via the scramble. Grossman didn't have good numbers, and also was wildly inconsistent. He could run hot and cold. Not Marc Bulger hot and cold. But he'd throw up stinkers as he did in their super bowl.

Wilson has been ridiculously consistent. And in particular, he's one of the most poised QBs in the league. He doesn't unravel at the first signs of adversity. In fact, he picks up the entire team and keeps them from falling apart too. He's been a critical factor in each game where we've fallen behind by 10 or more points. Each game resulting in a Seahawks win.

Seattle wins because of Wilson. Not in spite of him. You couldn't say that with Grossman. If Denver does emerge victorious, Manning will have earned it completely.

Seattle has roughly the same group of guys over the past three years, the only swap was Tarvaris Jackson for Wilson. Good for 6 more points a game and over a yard more per play. I don't know, but that sounds like a pretty large improvement. The only boon for Denver is that Wilson has been struggling these playoffs... but most guys would against two top 5 defenses.

I'm going with the Broncos. I think they have way too many weapons and their defense is playing relatively well. The Seahawks were top 4 in scoring per game, but a huge part of that was due to their defense (39 turnovers) and having short fields. Over a quarter of their total points came off turnovers; 115 / 417. Their offense isn't spectacular but it's pretty good and you can't knock them for capitalizing off turnovers because that's what good teams are suppose to do. But the defense dictates this team and keeps it a low scoring game for Wilson and his offense and causes turnovers. If Seattles defense isn't able to completely negate Denver's offense by shutting them down or creating costly turnovers, I'm not confident in the Seahawks offense being able to keep up with Peyton if gets any type of rhythm and gets hot. If Marshawn Lynch doesn't have a great game, it lowers their chances even more. The offense is run through Lynch and is their identity on offense. Wilson is a great QB and an amazing playmaker and can most definitely win the game if it's on the line. Definitely a clutch player. The thing about Wilson is that he makes his plays count and makes them when his team needs it the most; either by passing or running. The defense and the running game carry most of the weight for Seattle. An elite defense, amazing running game, and a play maker at QB who makes good decisions and great plays. An all around great team.

It should be a great game but I have Denver winning this. Seattles defense has to carry this game ( need turnovers) and I think Peyton is going to win that match up.

:Broncos: 34

:Seahawks: 23

Edited by dutchff7

Yes, I am posting this twice. Belongs in both spots, I think. :DD

In a column published on TheMMQB.com, Sherman listed the five smartest quarterbacks in the NFL, in his opinion. He rated Manning No. 1, lauding him for his adjustments at the line of scrimmage, but added this caveat:

"His arm, however, is another story. His passes will be accurate and on time, but he throws ducks."

Broncos only scored 26 against a shitty, severely depleted Patriots defense at home in near 70 degree weather. Huge longshot that Denver drops 30+ against the #1 defense on a neutral field in 30-something degree weather. I mean, I just don't see it. :shrug:

• Upvote 2

Broncos only scored 26 against a shitty, severely depleted Patriots defense at home in near 70 degree weather. Huge longshot that Denver drops 30+ against the #1 defense on a neutral field in 30-something degree weather. I mean, I just don't see it. :shrug:

Ideally, yeah, it seems like a long shot. It's more of a bold prediction but I got a gut feeling and I'm riding with it.

The Vegas line for Super Bowl 48 has fluctuated between two and three points in Denver's favor, which surprises me based on how these teams match up. I think Seattle has distinct personnel advantages on both sides of the ball. The Broncos' team strength is its pass offense, which the Seahawks can counter with the NFL's premier pass defense. Seattle has an answer for Denver's most dangerous element, and I'd give the Seahawks an edge in every other toe-to-toe category (SEA run offense vs. DEN run defense; DEN run offense vs. SEA run defense; SEA pass offense vs. DEN pass defense).

During the 2013 regular season, few defenses gave Denver more fits than Jacksonville's, which is run by ex-Seattle defensive coordinator Gus Bradley. Despite major talent deficiencies, Bradley's scheme held the Broncos to 14 points through one half in Week 6, and the scoreboard read 21-19 deep into the third quarter. The Jaguars blitzedPeyton Manning on just 2-of-42 dropbacks, got pressure with their front four, and played physical press coverage on the perimeter. They held Demaryius Thomas to three catches for 78 scoreless yards, Julius Thomas to a 4-22-1 line, and Eric Decker to 5-50. The Seahawks will play the Broncos in similar fashion. And they have much better players than the Jaguars.

I'm also surprised more is not being made of the banged-up state of Denver's defense. Despite recent struggles, I think Russell Wilson is capable of shredding this MASH unit, and Marshawn Lynch has a chance to run all over it. Since November, the Broncos have lost OLB/DE Von Miller (ACL), slot CB Chris Harris (ACL), LE Derek Wolfe(seizures), DT Kevin Vickerson (hip), and FS Rahim Moore (leg) to season-ending injuries. That's 5-of-11 starters. Defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio deserves credit for keeping his side of the ball competitive in the meantime, but this is not an imposing defense for running or passing opponents.

In addition to their top-ranked pass defense and top-seven run defense, the Seahawks match up favorably with the Broncos because of the way they play. Arguably Manning's greatest strength is his pre-snap dominance, dissecting defensive intentions at the line of scrimmage and identifying soft spots before attacking them, often repeatedly in the same area. But the Seahawks rarely blitz, and in terms of defensive alignment generally look the same before every snap. In other words, there won't be much for Peyton to dissect. The Seahawks essentially do the same thing every week, and every down. They line up at their usual spots, and play fast and physical.

Readers of the weekly Matchups column know Seattle LCB Richard Sherman won't shadow Demaryius Thomason Super Bowl Sunday. Sherman plays strictly left corner and some slot in deeper sub-packages, where he'll spend most of this game taking on Z receiver Eric Decker, and Julius Thomas on a handful of downs. Rather, Demaryius will run the majority of his pass routes versus RCB Byron Maxwell, an impressively physical 6-foot, 202-pound presence who's proven an upgrade on suspended Brandon Browner since inheriting the starting job seven games ago. Per Pro Football Focus, Maxwell has allowed just 25 receptions among 53 targets (47.2%) into his coverage this season, for 313 yards (5.91 YPA) and two touchdowns. Maxwell has four picks.

Thomas (Maxwell) and Decker (Sherman) have the toughest matchups on the perimeter. Orange Julius and Wes Welker won't get easy coverage draws, either, but I think they are the two biggest keys to Denver's chances of playing chain-moving pass offense in Super Bowl 48. Expect Welker to spend most of Sunday in Seahawks slot corner Walter Thurmond III's coverage, while Julius moves around the formation and gets looks against a variety of defenders. Thomas runs better than WLB K.J. Wright and is more fluid than SS Kam Chancellor, so when they clash I expect Peyton to attempt to exploit those matchups. The Seahawks will likely counter as they always do -- by getting physical with Thomas and disrupting him at the line of scrimmage. Denver's pass catchers won't get clean releases into their routes.

From a toe-to-toe perspective, the single biggest advantage Seattle has over Denver is its smash-mouth rushing attack keyed by chin-checking hammer back Marshawn Lynch. Although the Broncos' run defense statistics improved on paper in January, the playoff numbers look so good because Denver has grabbed early leads and forced opponents to become one dimensional. I do not believe they're a good bet put the Seahawks in a significant early-game hole.

Depleted up front as explained above, the Broncos coughed up 583 yards and five TDs on 137 carries (4.26 YPC) across their final five regular season games. The 4.26 yards-per-carry average allowed would've ranked 21st in the NFL. It's no coincidence that those numbers coincide with LE Derek Wolfe's (seizures) absence. The Seahawks play top-four rushing offense in both yardage and attempts per game, and with the ground attack can limit Peyton's field time by controlling time of possession. Seattle OC Darrell Bevell typically doesn't devise opponent-specific game plans, but his weekly routine is inherently opponent specific in this instance. The Seahawks can do what they do best against a relatively soft Denver front, and put clamps on the Broncos' strength in the process.

I still believe this will be a close, hard-fought Super Bowl, and games decided by three points or fewer can end up going either way. I like the Seahawks to prevail because I think they are a better top-to-bottom ballclub than the Broncos, and pose easily the most difficult matchup Peyton Manning has faced all year. ~Per Rotoworld

Bold prediction time! Okay, maybe not in the outcome, but in the meaning of the outcome.

For awhile now, we've seen this shift in NFL quarterbacks from the old school, pocket passers to the new school, mobile quarterbacks. Yet, as dynamic as these scrambling quarterbacks can be, they've never won a Super Bowl.

Until now.

:Seahawks: 20

:Broncos: 6

Okay, so if Seattle wins, it's not going to be all because of the arms and legs of Russell Wilson, but Wilson's playmaking ability will be the difference in a game where Peyton Manning will be uncomfortable in the pocket all night long. This is a terrible matchup for Denver, and if you want to know why, read the article ATL just posted.

This currently seems like a famous Super Bowl in the making because of the cold-weather location, but it's really going to go down as the beginning of a shift change in the NFL. The next decade will be dominated by guys like Wilson and Colin Kaepernick winning rings.

:bookit:

Edited by SteVo
  • Upvote 1

Wes Welker reiterated Thursday that he has no plans to retire if the Broncos win the Super Bowl.

"Of course it would be a good way to end it, but I am still having fun," Welker said. "I am still enjoying the game. I feel good, and as long as I am out there having fun, I will continue to play." A pint-sized slot receiver going on 33 and coming off a concussion-marred season, no one would blame Welker for riding off into the sunset. The $6 million remaining on his contract is a powerful incentive to continue playing, however. Welker will likely give more serious thought to hanging it up in 2015, when he'll be back on the open market.