Associated Press Awards

Coach of the Year: Ron Rivera

MVP: Peyton Manning

OPOTY: Peyton Manning

DPOTY: LB from the Panthers

CPOTY: Philip Rivers

OROTY: Eddard Lacy

DROTY: Sheldon Richardson

Associated Press named Ron Rivera its 2013 Coach of the Year.

Rivera received 21.5 votes, beating out Chiefs coach Andy Reid (13.5) and the Patriots' Bill Belichick (7) for the award. After opening the year on a two-game losing streak, Rivera turned the Panthers' season around, leading them to a 12-4 record and first-round playoff bye. Carolina ranked second in total defense under Rivera, with Luke Kuechly and Greg Hardy both getting elected to the Pro Bowl. Rivera was also named the PFWA Coach of the Year in addition to his Associated Press honors. The Panthers awarded him with a three-year contract extension following the season. Rivera will bring back his entire staff for 2014.

Associated Press named Peyton Manning its 2013 Most Valuable Player.

Manning surprisingly wasn't a unanimous winner, receiving 49 of a possible 50 votes. (Someone, absurdly, voted for Tom Brady.) In one of the greatest single NFL seasons of all-time, Peyton broke the records for passing yards (5,477) and touchdowns (55) en route to leading the Broncos to Super Bowl 48, completing 68.3 percent of his passes with a 115.1 quarterback rating. Manning also took home Offensive Player of the Year honors, with LeSean McCoy (10), Brady (1), Russell Wilson (1), and Drew Brees (1) also receiving votes. The MVP award is Manning's fifth of his career, but just his first since 2009.

Associated Press named Luke Kuechly its 2013 Defensive Player of the Year.

It's the second straight year Kuechly has won a major award after being named Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2012. He was the best player on a defense that allowed the second fewest points in the NFL this season, finishing with 156 tackles, two sacks, and four interceptions. Kuechly's Week 16 performance against the Saints likely solidified his DPOY candidacy. He received a total of 19 votes to beat out Robert Mathis (11.5), Earl Thomas, (7.5), Robert Quinn (6), Richard Sherman (4), and J.J. Watt (2).

Associated Press named Philip Rivers its 2013 Comeback Player of the Year.

People who know and understand the criteria for NFL Comeback POY will understand this pick. People who don't and think you have to be "coming back" from injury, won't. Rivers was widely written off as a shell-shocked rag-arm quarterback in steep decline after back-to-back brutal seasons under Norv Turner, but reemerged as a top-eight NFL passer in 2013 and engineered a Wild Card playoff berth, with a first-round upset of Cincinnati. Mike McCoy deserves a lot of credit for Rivers' turnaround. Frank Reich and Ken Whisenhunt both parlayed it into job promotions.

Associated Press named Eddie Lacy its 2013 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year.

Lacy earned the honor after putting Green Bay's offense on his back for long stretches in the absence of Aaron Rodgers, who missed seven 2013 games. The fact Lacy won the award by a whopping 35-12 voting margin over Keenan Allen still makes little sense. Allen had one of the finest rookie wide receiver seasons in league history, and the vote should've been closer. With that said, the AP got this one right. EddieTooFat was an absolute monster in '13.

Associated Press named Jets DE Sheldon Richardson its 2013 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Fellow John Idzik premium picks Geno Smith and Dee Milliner disappointed as rookies, but Richardson was an unblockable animal for the Jets' oft-dominant 2013 run defense. He lived in opposing backfields. Whereas Eddie Lacy won OROY in a landslide, Richardson narrowly eked out 23 votes to finish four ahead of Buffalo ILB Kiko Alonso. Saints S Kenny Vaccaro (4), Cardinals CB/FS Tyrann Mathieu (2), and Panthers DT Star Lotulelei (2) also received DROY votes.
Edited by Vin
  • Upvote 1

I don't disagree with any of the choices except for defensive player of the year, very good selections by the committee this year. Kuechly is still a good choice, but Robert Quinn or JJ Watt would have been a better one.

I think what Allen did was much more exceptional.

Its spelled Kuechly, there, bro.

Grats to him and Rivera.

He had a great year, still think Bowman and Thomas had better ones. But not gonna complain. :D

And naw, I think Lacy deserved it more looking through it. The idea that 1,000 yard rookie WRs are more rare is really not true anymore. Over the past five years we've had 4 rookie 1k rushers and 3 rookie 1k receivers. Lacy carried that team while Rodgers was out.

Edited by Thanatos19

Only two I really disagree with. DPOTY should of been Quinn, but he wasn't going to win it without team success.

Jason Peters should of won CPOTY and KA should of won OROTY imo.

Only two I really disagree with. DPOTY should of been Quinn, but he wasn't going to win it without team success.

Jason Peters should of won CPOTY and KA should of won OROTY imo.

I just disagree with Rivers winning in principle of the fact that he was never really as bad as perceived. It was more of the situation he was put in because of Norv being a one dimensional offensive mind and the lack of talent around Rivers to run Norv's system. So I never looked at Rivers as "broken" or bad. I still had him as a top 10 QB, though I was biased. I personally would've liked to see Revis or Peters win.

No problem with Lacy winning rookie of the year, great season for a rookie RB. But I would have loved to see Allen win it. No way two Chargers players win awards. lol

Arians got screwed. He did more with less.

Arians didn't win his division... and won two less games. Not sure how you can say he did more.

Also Vin you still don't have it right.

It's Kuechly, not Kuechley.

Edited by Thanatos19

I quit.

Its spelled Kuechly, there, bro.

Grats to him and Rivera.

He had a great year, still think Bowman and Thomas had better ones. But not gonna complain. :D

And naw, I think Lacy deserved it more looking through it. The idea that 1,000 yard rookie WRs are more rare is really not true anymore. Over the past five years we've had 4 rookie 1k rushers and 3 rookie 1k receivers. Lacy carried that team while Rodgers was out.

Allen was the 3rd rookie since 2000 to gain 1000 yards and 8 TD.

Lacy would have been 3rd in rookie rushing yards just last year.

That doesn't have significant weight anyway. Aaron Rodgers went down and Eddie Lacy carried the team on his back. No defense, very little offense, and Eddie Lacy. That was the team. Meanwhile, stories were written and leaked that Keenan Allen almost quit football.

I love Keenan Allen... I wanted him to be a Packer, he was EASILY my highest rated WR in the draft. The fact he fell literally baffled me. And the Packers passing on him (even for Lacy at one point) actually made me angry. But Lacy had more people counting on him and the the team more heavily relied on his production to win football games.

That isn't Allen's fault necessarily... But without Eddie Lacy, the Packers definitely miss the playoffs, and are definitely under .500

No other rookie played as well as Lacy and had the same impact on their team as Lacy. Nobody.

Yea. 8 receivers in the history of the NFL have gone for over 1000 yards in there rookie seasons. Its even more impressive considering the fact he wasn't really used until like, week 4.

Sherman or Quinn would've been better choices. Leave it to the AP to absorb the ridiculous hype surrounding a good, but not the best defensive player this year.

Lmao. I got into the Lacy / Allen debate so didn't say what I wanted to originally.

We have like the worst DPOTY since I've been alive... Pretty fail. But as I mentioned in the actual discussion thread, it was bound to happen. The other guys that are way better than Luke and deserved it much more are on garbage teams.

Best players on bad-mediocre teams

Lmao. I got into the Lacy / Allen debate so didn't say what I wanted to originally.

We have like the worst DPOTY since I've been alive... Pretty fail. But as I mentioned in the actual discussion thread, it was bound to happen. The other guys that are way better than Luke and deserved it much more are on garbage teams.

Best players on bad-mediocre teams < OK players on great teams

Which is absolutely wrong. Individual awards should have nothing to do with team performance.

That doesn't have significant weight anyway. Aaron Rodgers went down and Eddie Lacy carried the team on his back. No defense, very little offense, and Eddie Lacy. That was the team. Meanwhile, stories were written and leaked that Keenan Allen almost quit football.

I love Keenan Allen... I wanted him to be a Packer, he was EASILY my highest rated WR in the draft. The fact he fell literally baffled me. And the Packers passing on him (even for Lacy at one point) actually made me angry. But Lacy had more people counting on him and the the team more heavily relied on his production to win football games.

That isn't Allen's fault necessarily... But without Eddie Lacy, the Packers definitely miss the playoffs, and are definitely under .500

No other rookie played as well as Lacy and had the same impact on their team as Lacy. Nobody.

I could say the same about Allen. Both starting receivers went down and he carried the passing game for most of the year. We almost certainly miss the playoffs without him.

No other rookie played as well as Allen and had the same impact on their team as Allen. Nobody.

I could say the same about Allen. Both starting receivers went down and he carried the passing game for most of the year. We almost certainly miss the playoffs without him.

No other rookie played as well as Allen and had the same impact on their team as Allen. Nobody.

Both rookies can't play the best and mean the most to their team. Thus we go to the normal tiebreaker in these situations. I said it first, therefore I am right... You aren't. :troll:

Think what I would like to say is that Allen had a good cast around him. That doesn't diminish what he did, but makes it a more achievable milestone.

Lacy had nobody around him for a long while that Rodgers was gone. We may have went 2-5-1 during that time but he still put up great numbers and kept us in games. The 2 wins were basically because of him anyways and if McCarthy wasn't dumb as shit, could be 3-5, and then if Lacy didn't get hurt and leave early against Pittsburgh, could be 4-4 during that time. We were on Pittsburgh's 10 yard line or something for the final play, having gone that far w/o Lacy. if we had him in the lineup, I'd say there's a good chance we weren't the last ones with the ball and Pittsburgh's the ones who have to try to score at the end.

Our WR were useless during that time, our QBs were awful until the mediocre Flynn came into kind of control things for a short while, and our OL has never been great but they played their usual average selves. Also our defense was starting their huge decline when Rodgers went down too.

That being said I definitely think Lacy should have won it, but Idk about the vote being that far off than it ended up being. That's a big gap.

Think what I would like to say is that Allen had a good cast around him. That doesn't diminish what he did, but makes it a more achievable milestone.

Lacy had nobody around him for a long while that Rodgers was gone. We may have went 2-5-1 during that time but he still put up great numbers and kept us in games. The 2 wins were basically because of him anyways and if McCarthy wasn't dumb as shit, could be 3-5, and then if Lacy didn't get hurt and leave early against Pittsburgh, could be 4-4 during that time. We were on Pittsburgh's 10 yard line or something for the final play, having gone that far w/o Lacy. if we had him in the lineup, I'd say there's a good chance we weren't the last ones with the ball and Pittsburgh's the ones who have to try to score at the end.

Our WR were useless during that time, our QBs were awful until the mediocre Flynn came into kind of control things for a short while, and our OL has never been great but they played their usual average selves. Also our defense was starting their huge decline when Rodgers went down too.

That being said I definitely think Lacy should have won it, but Idk about the vote being that far off than it ended up being. That's a big gap.

3.3 YPC against ATL?

Best players on bad-mediocre teams < OK players on great teams

Alright, I give you that other defensive guys should have gotten it, but Luke is not an OK player. He is a fantastic MLB, one of the best.

Bowman, Thomas, Quinn, Sherman, and Mathis are the five guys I would have had ahead of him, but that's it.

He's probably in the what.. top... 1/4 of MLB who play regularly. Above average, I guess, may be the best descriptor? Still not sure guys who are above average deserve an award over elite players, even at the same position, just because they were on a better team.

And that's coming from somebody who predicted Luke would probably get it just because of the team he is on. I figured it would happen this way... Just wish it wouldn't have.