Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

1,058 People Make Prelim Cuts on One-Way Trip to Mars

Mars One, a Dutch nonprofit organization, aims to establish the first human settlement on Mars in the coming decades. I am one of 1,058 people chosen from around the world to be in round two of Mars One's astronaut application pool. The next few rounds will narrow the field until at last 24 candidates will be picked to begin 10 years of training for the mission.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/12/opinion/beemer-mars-trip/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

These cuts come after over 200,000 people applied (the above is one persons explanation of applying)

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/10/tech/innovation/mars-one-plan/index.html

Would you be interested in signing up, given the opportunity? Chosen to be one of the first settlers on Mars, think of all that you could accomplish. Crazy ready and maybe an even crazier idea that is very real.

Edited by Favre4Ever

No thanks. Being stuck with 24 people for life would be very annoying.

I'm pretty sure this was already established as being a hoax.

But yeah, what Bucman said. 24 people for the rest of my life? No thank you.

Edited by Thanatos19

They got wifi? Would be pretty kick ass to be famous if you had like a terminal disease or something.

I'm pretty sure this was already established as being a hoax.

But yeah, what Bucman said. 24 people for the rest of my life? No thank you.

Ya, Ranga (I think) posted the first news article about this back when it broke... And there was a lot of speculation of a hoax. But they are still going forward with it... Cutting their applicants list 90%.. Having definitive plans for unmanned missions, etc.

The problem I think people have with this is that the timeline is so incredibly small (relatively speaking). They want people in mars in the next 20 years, and most experts just don't think it's possible.

Personally speaking, I think they have legit plans to get this done, but will probably fail to deliver on what they have promised.

And if it was a guaranteed scam right now, I would be very disappointed in CNN publishing a piece, even if it is merely opinion, on the topic.

I was once in a leadership class that made several points on motivation based on the fact that when Kennedy announced about the intention to put a man on the moon that not only was the technology non-existent at the time but that the leader of NASA was UNAWARE of Kennedy's intention! However during the 60's basically the entire nation got behind the project and it happened. It was a HUGE deal. (I am old enough to vaguely remember school pausing to watch each space launch).

http://history.nasa.gov/moondec.html

Perhaps the Mars mission is a pipedream for now (which I think it is for the time frame given) but it very possible that one day not only will man visit there but establish some sort of base on the red planet.

I just think having a base on the moon is a more realistic goal. We haven't even sent a man to Mars atm.

The way the planets line up, there's only like one time every two years that sending a shuttle would even be possible. If something goes wrong with that shuttle, then so long colony.

What Thanatos said. The logistics of this make this borderline impossible to maintain a colony there. They'd need an enormous shuttle to carry enough supplies to reach the colony and keep it supplied.

Its because he sent in the pic with his sausage nips.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/islamic-authority-issues-fatwa-forbidding-travel-mars-article-1.1621020

The United Arab Emirates' Islamic authority has a clear, urgent message for Muslims: Don't go to Mars.

The General Authority of Islamic Affairs and Endowment (GAIAE) has issued a fatwa prohibiting participation or promotion of one-way trips to the red planet, the Khaleej Times reported Wednesday.

“Such a one-way journey poses a real risk to life, and that can never be justified in Islam,” the committee said. “There is a possibility that an individual who travels to planet Mars may not be able to remain alive there, and is more vulnerable to death.”

The committee cited verses of the Koran exalting the protection of life and forbidding suicide and murder.

Whoever opts for this “hazardous trip”, the committee said, is likely to die for no “righteous reason”, and thus will be liable to a “punishment similar to that of suicide in the Hereafter,” the Khaleej Times wrote.

The far-fetched fatwa is likely in response to a Dutch company’s $6 billion Mars One project, which issued a call last year for applicants interested in colonizing the planet.

The company does not yet have the technology to travel to Mars, but expects it will be possible by 2024.

Tickets will cost only $38 for American inhabitants, but there’s still a heavy price to pay: there’s no coming back from the fourth planet from the sun.

Mars One hopes to populate the planet with 40 earthlings and said in December it had received over 200,000 applicants

Mars One responded to the fatwa in a statement saying they want all humans to have the chance to become the Neil Armstrong of Mars – including Muslims.

The company mentioned the rich tradition of exploration in the Muslim world, outlined the accomplishments of a celebrated Moroccan Muslim traveler (Ibn Battuta) and quoted a verse from the Quran (30: 22) that encourages Muslims to explore in order to see signs of God’s creations.

“And among His Signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth, and the variations in your languages and your colors: verily in that are Signs for those who know.”

Mars One respectfully requested that GAIAE cancel the fatwa so Muslims can take “the greatest Rihla, or journey, of all times.”

“They can be the first Muslims to witness the signs of God’s creation in heaven, drawing upon the rich culture of travel and exploration of early Islam,” the company said.

But Islamic researcher Dr. Haikh Mohammed Al Ashmawy told the Khaleej Times said interplanetary travel was just out of the question.

“Almighty Allah said in verse 2/195 in the Holy Koran: Do not throw yourselves with your own hands into destruction,” he said.

Ayatollah Khomeini infamously issued a fatwa in 1989 calling for the death of writer Salman Rushdie for his novel, “The Satanic Verses.”

Rushdie went into hiding for years after he received a barrage of death threats.

eh. Can't be any worse than staying in Afghanistan.