Dutch

Top 10 WRs

See, I knew Julio could damn well reach 1800 yards. Didn't even do the math to see what he was on pace for. Still not top 3, yet. Nothing will change that for me as of right now. I'm not a hater, one of my favorite and the most exciting receivers to watch.

Who is your top 3?

Calvin, Green, and Marshy.

Explain to me why Green is a top 3 receiver for you but not Julio? Is it because of his injury? If that's the case, I can understand that. However, I think what Julio has done has been far more impressive. Especially considering the fact that if you go back and watch Falcons games the past 3 years, even in his rookie season, teams were sliding their #1 corner over to Julio for the most part while giving White the 1 on 1s. That's how much of a game changer he was even when he first showed up on the field.

I'm not trying to be biased towards Falcons, I hate when people get on that topic with me too (not you, but someone earlier). I'm usually the first one to point out our players flaws.

See, I knew Julio could damn well reach 1800 yards. Didn't even do the math to see what he was on pace for. Still not top 3, yet. Nothing will change that for me as of right now. I'm not a hater, one of my favorite and the most exciting receivers to watch.

Who is your top 3?

Understandable. Where would you put Julio though?

Somewhere between 7-10 but I had to leave him off my list. Too many good and deserving players. He'll be back.

Who is your top 3?

Explain to me why Green is a top 3 receiver for you but not Julio?

Shouldn't have to explained, but the guy plays with Andy Dalton for one, is super consistent and has dominated for the last two years. He has some other nice people to take off some pressure but still wins.
Edited by Bay

But but but Marshall uses his size to wins one on ones. Lmao no shit moron same with the other big wideouts people put on their list. Dude has had 100 plus catches in 5 of 8 seasons and just constantly produces. People just have their hater goggles on with him because of his off the field issues.

• Upvote 1

Who is your top 3?

Understandable. Where would you put Julio though?

Somewhere between 7-10 but I had to leave him off my list. Too many good and deserving players. He'll be back.

Who is your top 3?

Explain to me why Green is a top 3 receiver for you but not Julio?

Shouldn't have to explained, but the guy plays with Andy Dalton for one, is super consistent and has dominated for the last two years. He has some other nice people to take off some pressure but still wins.

I'm not going to call having Andy Dalton a handicap. He's got a lot to prove to the team because he runs hot and cold, but he's more than capable of getting receivers the football and he does a good job of doing it during the regular season.

Midway, don't take it personal. I'm not saying he's not phenominal. I'm just saying he was near my bottom. Just my opinion, I already said I'm no professional. He could have been placed anywhere from 7-10 imo.

1. Megatron

2. Brandon Marshall

3. AJ Green

4. Andre Johnson

5. Julio Jones

6. Demaryius Thomas

7. Dez Bryant

8. Josh Gordon

9. Antonio Brown

10. Vincent Jackson

Really don't think Marshall is that good either. I know I've already had the argument with someone on here, but to me he's a glorified possession receiver. Consistent (most of the time) but not great by any means.

A glorified possession receiver that consistently averages 99 catches and 1249 yards for the past 7 seasons :laugh:

Edited by dutchff7
  • Upvote 1

Nope, definition of an empty stat machine. An above average player with bulk stats thanks to volume.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

The only WR I take ahead of Brandon Marshall is Megatron. Brandon Marshall is for some reason overlooked when he's an absolutely fantastic player who is in the argument for second best WR in the league.

I hate to suck all the fun out of this thread, but here's my take.

Calvin Johnson is without question the best WR in football.

After that, calling some of these guys better than others is splitting hairs. Green, Marshall, Jones. These are all guys that play at an elite level. To me, if you ask me who is the 2nd, 3rd best receiver, my answer is I don't know how to tell ,and I don't care. I just sit back and enjoy watching them all play.

Edited by Sarge
  • Upvote 1

The only WR I take ahead of Brandon Marshall is Megatron. Brandon Marshall is for some reason overlooked when he's an absolutely fantastic player who is in the argument for second best WR in the league.

Brandon Marshall is overlooked by who? He's (wrongly) viewed as a top 5 receiver by the masses. Nothing he does can't be done by at least 10 other receivers.

Brandon Marshall is overlooked by who? He's (wrongly) viewed as a top 5 receiver by the masses. Nothing he does can't be done by at least 10 other receivers.

Does it matter? He does it better than them.

Edited by BwareDWare94

Nope, definition of an empty stat machine. An above average player with bulk stats thanks to volume.

If it were as easy as you claim, every QB would simply target an average WR as much as Marshall is and they'd have good production like him too. Too bad force feeding a WR doesn't warrant great production. If you want to talk about an empty stat machine, what would you call Calvin Johnson and his whooping 204 targets last year? 76 of Megatron's receptions, 1251 yards and 3 of his TDs came when the Lions where behind. 627 (yds) were in the 4th quarter and 643 of those yards came when they were down multiple scores from 9-16 points behind. Talk about garbage time. Should that take away his credit for his production?

You can't name 10 receivers in the league that have had 7 straight 1000 yard seasons, five 100 reception campaigns and haven't recorded under 81 receptions in a season during that time frame.

Is there a fan of a team who isn't a division rival of the Bears that thinks Brandon Marshall isn't good?

Just curious here.

Edited by Thanatos19

Does it matter? He does it better than them.

What you are saying is actually backwards. His inefficiency paints a different picture.

If it were as easy as you claim, every QB would simply target an average WR as much as Marshall is and they'd have good production like him too. Too bad force feeding a WR doesn't warrant great production. If you want to talk about an empty stat machine, what would you call Calvin Johnson and his whooping 204 targets last year? 76 of Megatron's receptions, 1251 yards and 3 of his TDs came when the Lions where behind. 627 (yds) were in the 4th quarter and 643 of those yards came when they were down multiple scores from 9-16 points behind. Talk about garbage time. Should that take away his credit for his production?

Not only was 2012 not CJ's best year or close to, he still didn't amass anywhere near the percentage of targets Marshall gets, and he almost had 2000 receiving yards. That tells you all you need to know about how unimpressive Marshall's numbers really are.

Additionally, QBs, and offenses are at their worst when force feeding the ball to one guy. Probably the reason why QBs don't target average receivers as much as Marshall.

You can't name 10 receivers in the league that have had 7 straight 1000 yard seasons, five 100 reception campaigns and haven't recorded under 81 receptions in a season during that time frame.

Because I can't name you 10 receivers who consistently get as many targets a season as Marshall does. But I can name you 10 receivers who could do better then him with those targets.

It's not Brandon Marshall's fault that Jay Cutler bails on everybody else and just feeds him the ball over and over again....

It's not Brandon Marshall's fault that Jay Cutler bails on everybody else and just feeds him the ball over and over again....

Whether or not that's the case is irrelevant to the point that Marshall needs to be force fed the ball to be effective.

Whether or not that's the case is irrelevant to the point that Marshall needs to be force fed the ball to be effective.

I'm sorry, DMac. I don't see your logic here. Don't all wide receivers need targets to produce?

When Marshall continues to produce despite a drop in targets (See:Alshon Jeffrey) we can come back and have this discussion again. Marshall may be a possession receiver more than anything else, but he is one of the best in the business. If you throw a ball up into traffic Marshall is probably the one who comes down with it. You may call it forcing production, but when (before last year with Alshon) there is nobody else decent to catch passes, defenses double and triple-team on Marshall. He still put up numbers.

• Upvote 1

I don't get the logics of these things regarding Marshall:

Why is his height/body physique being held against him?

Why is the fact that he produces when he gets targets...therefore increasing his targets...held against him?

Why is nobody talking about the days before Alshon Jeffery in Chicago, he was pretty much the ONLY WR to produce no matter where he was in Denver, Miami, and now Chicago.

This is getting absurd.

I'm sorry, DMac. I don't see your logic here. Don't all wide receivers need targets to produce?

Every receiver requires targets to produce, But the less amount of targets you require to produce elite numbers say a lot about how good you truly are.

Brandon Marshall is essentially a Wes Welker who can't catch which leads to inefficiency and the need for more targets. Nobody has Welker in their top 10 as it is, imagine how much less people would think of Welker if he dropped the ball a lot.

When Marshall continues to produce despite a drop in targets (See:Alshon Jeffrey) we can come back and have this discussion again. Marshall may be a possession receiver more than anything else, but he is one of the best in the business. If you throw a ball up into traffic Marshall is probably the one who comes down with it. You may call it forcing production, but when (before last year with Alshon) there is nobody else decent to catch passes, defenses double and triple-team on Marshall. He still put up numbers.

Catching the ball over the middle with heavy traffic isn't getting doubled. No defenses spend their time gameplaning against a guy who runs a ton of underneath stuff.

Marshall does not get doubled as often as you think, and when he does, its a weak bracket coverage.

I don't get the logics of these things regarding Marshall:

Why is his height/body physique being held against him?

Why is the fact that he produces when he gets targets...therefore increasing his targets...held against him?

Why is nobody talking about the days before Alshon Jeffery in Chicago, he was pretty much the ONLY WR to produce no matter where he was in Denver, Miami, and now Chicago.

This is getting absurd.

Since he's entered the league, Marshall has only been in the top 5 among receivers routinely in 3 categories. Targets, receptions, drops. Every other meaningful categories, sometimes you won't even find him in the top 30 or 20.

A possession receiver who can't catch the ball pretty much makes you an average receiver who puts up good numbers because you get thrown at lot.

Marshall had a lot of drops last year, yes, but take a look at these stats.

He was thrown at 158 times and had 100 receptions. That's 63.3% of possible catches being made. That percentage puts him on par with the following names.

Andre Johnson 61.9% (176 targets, 109 catches)

Larry Fitzgerald 63.6% (129 targets, 82 catches)

Eric Decker 64.4% (135 targets, 87 catches)

Alshon Jeffery 63.6 % (140 targets, 89 catches)

• Upvote 1

Your logic is flawed. Last time I checked, all receivers need the ball to be most effective.

Brandon Marshall is a top 5 WR, without question, and it's not his fault he gets so many targets. He also gets flawed criticism over a high # of drops each year, but when compared to his receptions and targets, his drop % is actually quite low, compared to a lot of great WRs.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1