Sign in to follow this  
Bucman

Bowe Bergdahl a traitor or POW?

This has become a topic of discussion since he release. His platoon says he willingly put down his weapon and walked off base. He reportedly had sent e-mails to his parents denouncing U.S. activities in Afghanistan. His father did an interview spouting off some Koran sayings.

If he indeed walked off base willingly, he should be charged for going AWOL and the death of the soldiers that went looking for him.

• Upvote 1

I have never heard about this until this post, but from what I can tell most troops generally have a strong bond. If the people that fought with him are saying this, I'm inclined to believe them.

Only real reason I can think to make this up is if the people he served with fucked up in some way and want to discredit him.

Edited by blotsfan

Guest Phailadelphia

Having trouble finding any credible sources behind the claims that he intentionally left base in an attempt to join the Taliban. Anyone got links?

Having trouble finding any credible sources behind the claims that he intentionally left base in an attempt to join the Taliban. Anyone got links?

I haven't heard anything from a credible source besides a recording from a solider that said he did so. Even if he just left his base because he was upset with the war, he still committed a crime and should be punished for it.

Taliban is not a terrorist group, its the military for Afghanistan so technically speaking they didn't negotiate with any terrorist group.

• Downvote 1

lolwut, Bucmin?

Fuck this guy (Bergdahl)

The fact that you desert the US Army is the act of a traitor. You don't just fucking say...I'm done and just walk away. You can't just do that.

This is a low-life POS that deserves the book thrown at him. 14 American soldiers were killed in the attempt to find this lowlife who didn't give a fuck about coming back.

Fuck no man left behind in this sense. If you go AWOL...you'll be found in time, but there was no need to do missions to try and find him.

Fucking disgusting.

Phail has gotta be trolling with his "not a traitor" comment, cause I know he's not stupid enough to actually believe that.

• Upvote 2

From all accounts he deserted. I'm not sure that makes him a traitor.

I don't know where Charles-in-charge heard this guy is in line for a promotion though. The Army says he could face desertion charges.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCQQqQIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwashington.cbslocal.com%2F2014%2F06%2F02%2Freport-bergdahl-scheduled-for-promotion%2F&ei=bmuPU4-SBJOEqga97YCIDw&usg=AFQjCNGQ0C9HiAQT1EpXhXRSjgpx2vwRGA&sig2=2GbmwV_XgAsToQld39SFfw

CNN also reported the same thing in the last line of the video in this link.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CD8QFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F2014%2F06%2F01%2Fus%2Fbergdahl-deserter-or-hero%2F&ei=KGqPU5TFD5KbqAahqYDoAg&usg=AFQjCNFhH9E6O2Is_cNESlf4hk2Fc8p-Mg&sig2=_dqsm_8R3NltcACaS_DvxA

The first place I heard it though, was from my disgusted friend who spent 20 years serving his country in the Navy and is now a retired mechanic. Every person from a military background that I've spoke to has the same outlook on the situation: Fuck this guy. Oh, and let's not forget that he was already promoted at least once after deserting. In 2011 he was given the title of "Sergeant first class."

Of course officials are now saying that he could face charges of desertion. This whole thing was a political move that is now blowing up in everyone's face. With all the outraged soldiers and vets, they have to go back and try to do some ass covering. That's a lot of votes and disgruntled government employees to piss off with this ridiculousness.

Again, fuck this guy.

• Upvote 1

Oh this fucking guy... I am so conflicted. I firmly believe that you should never leave a man behind. That being said if he is no longer loyal is he really a fellow soldier ?

Basically yeah, Fuck this dude. The one fact I do know is at least 5 men died for a guy who is wishy-washy at best in his soldiers creed. Not even close to a fair trade.

Guest Phailadelphia

Phail has gotta be trolling with his "not a traitor" comment, cause I know he's not stupid enough to actually believe that.

Look, sure, the guy is a huge piece of shit. I won't dispute that. He went into Afghanistan thinking he was part of an armed Peace Corps type of organization. That turned out to be incorrect (shocker, I know) and he subsequently became jaded with the US military and his country's mission there. Again, I don't think that makes him a traitor. There are probably better ways to remove yourself from Afghanistan than wander off, be captured by Taliban, and risk the lives of other soldiers to be rescued. But to me, a traitor would have retaliated strategically or militarily. He did neither, and his criticisms of the US fall in line with some of the same shit we hear on this very message board.

There are lots of things to take issue with and I genuinely kind of dislike the guy. But I don't think traitor is the correct label here.

(in for the negs, I guess)

Id say he shouldve known getting caught by the Taliban hurts the country. If he just said "fuck this. Send me home" then he wouldn't be a traitor.

Guest Phailadelphia

That's a good point. Perhaps he's a traitor by virtue of stupidity.

lolwut, Bucmin?

Fuck this guy (Bergdahl)

Taliban is not considered a terrorist group by the government. Al-Qaeda is.

I'm gonna wait for more details until I decide on this one.

Guest Phailadelphia

This guy finally gets to come home from POW capture only to face death threats to him and his family from his own country. What a world.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

He deserted and caused over a dozen soldiers to die and then on top of that we traded five bad guys for him.

What did you expect, a hero's welcome? He should have been left where he was unless we thought he was an intelligence risk and he should be court-martialed and thrown in jail now.

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Upvote 2

I haven't followed this really, and by that I mean... Not at all. Can someone tell me the importance he serves? Or why we wanted him back so badly that we engaged in the talks that eventually led to his release?

I haven't followed this really, and by that I mean... Not at all. Can someone tell me the importance he serves? Or why we wanted him back so badly that we engaged in the talks that eventually led to his release?

Honestly, I feel like this whole thing is 100% politically motivated. It was one big PR move that blew up in everyone's face. Nobody made much of a fuss in 2011 when Bowe was promoted the first time, so—and this is purely speculation here—maybe they viewed that as an indication that there wouldn't be a problem garnering public sympathy for him by billing this as a homecoming for a war hero. I'm assuming it was to shift talk away from the veterans care thing and make public perception, "Hey, look at us. We really do care about the vets guize!" Talk about your all time backfires.

What they didn't bother to factor in is the outrage of his former brothers in arms. Clearly they either didn't gauge the pulse of his former outfit or they just didn't care and thought that they be able to spin this thing in Bowe's favor and contain any outcry from the troops. This was an egregious misinterpretation of the situation. The only thing more moving than our love for war heroes is our contempt for traitors. Once that's the label, good luck removing it.

• Upvote 1

They said he is still not healthy enough to be brought back to the US. When he is the Army wants to speak with him.

This guy finally gets to come home from POW capture only to face death threats to him and his family from his own country. What a world.

Every single one of them deserved. Except for the ones to his mother.

His family does not deserve death threats. Neither does he till we know the facts.

His family does not deserve death threats. Neither does he till we know the facts.

Him and his dipshit father have it coming from antagonizing the Americans who gave a fuck about the dudes that gave their lives looking for this piece of shit.

And really what other facts need to come out ?

I guess you are right in hindsight, he does not deserve death threats, just death.