AL_Royalty

Raiders Offense???

I was looking at the Raiders roster earlier (you know: keep your enemies closer and whatnot), and a thought popped into my dreamy li'l brain: what if this thing gels? Now I know, I know, it's DA RAIDAS, and stupid is as stupid does, but just bare with me here.

I don't claim to be any kind of O-lineman guru guy or anything, so please don't "lol" or "lmao" at me for my knowledge of the daunted Raiders front five being a little lacking, but there are some names there that aren't terrible. As long as the group can play at even a passable level, things could get a little dicey when playing this team. I don't expect them to win any playoff spots this season, but there is some talent-past, present, and potentially future.

First off, they brought in a veteran QB who HAS won division titles, and who up until last season was on the verge of making a deep playoff run in Matt Schaub. His historic run of pick sixes pretty much derailed all of that talk, but there's no denying that the guy has NFL caliber talent at the QB position. He was a borderline top 10 guy before last year.

Add to that a backfield consisting of the oft-injured Darren McFadden who is pretty much playing for his financial future this season and the ghost of MJD, and there is a recipe for a dominant backfield. They still have Reece blocking for them, too, so if the chips on their shoulders don't break their collarbones, they could be just enough motivation for these guys to run all over some of the competition.

Now onto the hodge-podge of wide outs on this cluster fuck of a roster. They did bring in James Jones from Green Bay, which doesn't really sound like a big move unless they have something else to go along with him. That's why they brought in—I can't believe my keyboard is about to say this—Gregg Little. With Denarius Moore and Rod Streater sticking around, this is a potential powder keg of offense just looking for a light.

The big problem with this scenario though is who the key to it all actually is. Streater looks poised to break out this season, and Moore has already proven to be a strong option as a pass catcher. James Jones is, well, James Jones, so they have their lightning in a bottle guy. So, who does that leave???

Gregg Little, the head scratcher of a wide out, has to finally pan out at least a little bit for this thing to actually take hold. He was a RB in college, so it's understandable that he'd struggle with being thrown into the deep threat role. It's been a few years now though, so it's time to shit or get off the pot. He's got the size, speed, and (at times) raw playmaking ability. He's just got to show some discipline and consistency. If he ever does manage to do that, this is a very dynamic offense.

With nothing but sizable athletic guys running routes all over the field, it would be a nightmare for almost any secondary to try and cover. If that passing game were to ever get rolling, it would certainly open up some space for the bad news backfield. Even now, I don't think I'd want to see MJD coming downhill at me, and we've seen what a healthy McFadden can do with no passing game to take the pressure off of him.

Now I know this reads a little more like a "What If..." Marvel comic than a realistic 2014 NFL scenario, but it does make sense. It could actually happen. I don't think it can happen on a week-to-week basis (yet), but it's something that teams had better not sleep on. If this group were to get rolling and actually believe that they can play football, who knows what the result could be.

Having said all of that, I still hate the Raiders and I hope they don't win another game. Ever. Like, eva-eva... I hope they go up in a metaphorical ball of flames and no one gives them water.

See: my sig. Thank you, and have a nice day.

• Upvote 1

They could very well have a good passing game with 3 serviceable receivers in Jones, Moore, and Streater.

Run DMC will MJD spelling is solid. Marcel Reese is damn good too. Really comes down to the line play/Schaub. There's a few good names in there.

Don't forget about Andre Holmes at WR. Seems like everyone's forgot about him but he came on strong at the end of the year and I can see him atleast being 3rd up at WR for them. He didn't start getting snaps til Week 10 last year and in Week 12 he destroyed the Cowboys for 7 catches and 136 yards. After that he put up typical borderline #2/#3 type WR numbers.

Last 5 weeks of the season he averaged 4.4 catches, 73.2 yds, at 16.36 ypc on a per game average. That was with Matt McGloin. Schaub's obviously a step up from him.

andre-holmes-made-an-amazing-one-handed-

Don't forget about Andre Holmes at WR. Seems like everyone's forgot about him but he came on strong at the end of the year and I can see him atleast being 3rd up at WR for them. He didn't start getting snaps til Week 10 last year and in Week 12 he destroyed the Cowboys for 7 catches and 136 yards. After that he put up typical borderline #2/#3 type WR numbers.

Last 5 weeks of the season he averaged 4.4 catches, 73.2 yds, at 16.36 ypc on a per game average. That was with Matt McGloin. Schaub's obviously a step up from him.

andre-holmes-made-an-amazing-one-handed-

Yeah, I didn't really mention him being that he was undrafted and whatnot, but he's yet another guy with size and athleticism. For the first time in some time there's going to be a lot of competition in Oakland, at least for WR spots. I hate to say it, but they might be turning a corner, organizationally speaking.

Nitpicking but Schaub was never a borderline top 10 QB despite popular belief. Serviceable? yes. Shouldn't ever sniff a top 10 list at QB. But the Raiders have made some interesting moves in FA and should be better next year, could even be a lot better.

• Upvote 1

Ever since Schaub's 2011 Lisfranc injury, he was just never the same. He can't plant his foot and rip it anymore. Schaub never had a big arm, but it was enough and that injury took that away. It's not hard to defend Schaub, when you're not afraid of the deep ball. The Raiders offense will be better the sooner they put Carr in.

I wouldn't say I have quite the same confidence as you do in our division rivals, but since the passing of Al Davis I feel they've made some great strides turning the franchise around.

I really think everything hinges on which Matt Shaub they get on gameday. The efficient, 4000 yard passing game manager, or the rattled pick 6 machine. I would personally like to see them go with Carr right away, as I don't think developing him for a year or so behind Shaub is going to do him any favors.

I'm also so-so on their offensive front 5. I would say that the have a few above-average talents there, but losing Veldheer is going to hurt, especially in a division where every opponent is stacked with pass rushers.

Still see them finishing last in the division, but they're going in the right direction I think.

If I didn't have questions about Carr's ability to handle pressure in the pocket I'd be with y'all on that, but I do have those questions. If I were the Raiders I'd atleast let him get used to the speed of the game first before throwing him to the dogs. Looks like they plan to do that, and for guys like Carr who's biggest flaw is handling pressure in the pocket — it's the best move IMO.

Edited by CampinWithGoatSampson
  • Upvote 2

I wouldn't say I have quite the same confidence as you do in our division rivals, but since the passing of Al Davis I feel they've made some great strides turning the franchise around.

I really think everything hinges on which Matt Shaub they get on gameday. The efficient, 4000 yard passing game manager, or the rattled pick 6 machine. I would personally like to see them go with Carr right away, as I don't think developing him for a year or so behind Shaub is going to do him any favors.

I'm also so-so on their offensive front 5. I would say that the have a few above-average talents there, but losing Veldheer is going to hurt, especially in a division where every opponent is stacked with pass rushers.

Still see them finishing last in the division, but they're going in the right direction I think.

Oh, I definitely see them finishing at the bottom, but that's not necessarily an indictment on them. This is just a really tough division right now. With Denver as the obvious favorites and KC possibly nipping at their heals, the third best team in the thing is a playoff team as well. I just see them closing the gap, and there are going to be those weeks when teams are thinking that their playing the same ol' Raiders and just get walloped. I'm talking 40-burger beat-down style smashed.

Again, that hinges on a lot of things playing out the way that they hope they do. Schaub has to be the pre-2013 Schaub, and the WR's have to play up to expectations. MJD needs to be serviceable, and McFadden has to stay pretty healthy. If those things happen though, there are going to be some upsets on the horizon.

If I didn't have questions about Carr's ability to handle pressure in the pocket I'd be with y'all on that, but I do have those questions. If I were the Raiders I'd atleast let him get used to the speed of the game first before throwing him to the dogs. Looks like they plan to do that, and for guys like Carr who's biggest flaw is handling pressure in the pocket — it's the best move IMO.

This post instantly stirred up images of a shell shocked Terrell Pryor getting just short of murdered in the pocket against the Chiefs last season. I agree with you guys about their line. You don't throw a rookie QB behind a line that has the ability to give up 10 sacks in a game, especially after losing one of their best guys.

Guys with his kind of arm talent don't fall to the 2nd for no reason.

• Upvote 1

Probably not going to be dogshit, but I can't see them having a top 10 offense or anything either.

I wouldn't want a single Raiders offensive player on my fantasy team. I'm not buying it. They added a mediocre veteran QB and didn't really make any splash draft picks for the offense, just Gabe Jackson, and their Oline is still weak. James Jones is still a good WR but not the type who will dominate without a top QB.

I think they will be middle of the pack.. 15-20th or so. They have a lot of potential, but I don't think it all comes together right away.