Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Update: AP returns to Vikings

Doesn't the CFL have a rule now prohibiting teams from signing players that are under suspension in another league? I seem to remember that coming up regarding Josh Gordon

I thought it had more to do with them being under NFL contract? Since Gordon was still under contract to the Browns he couldn't go the CFL? I could be wrong though.

I hear the Edmonton Eskimos are in need of a good running back...

obvs its a joke but Jon white is the maN

Adrian Peterson admitted "maybe it's best for me to get a fresh start somewhere else" in 2015.

Peterson sat down for an exclusive interview with USA Today's Tom Pelissero, a former Vikings beat writer. You can read it in its entirety at the link below. Peterson has supporters in the Vikings organization, including coach Mike Zimmer, but a change of scenery may be best for all parties. There's no way the Vikings are going to pay Peterson the $15 million-plus he's owed in 2015. They can try and trade him in the spring. Turning 30 in March, A.D. still has gas left in the tank.
Source: USA Today

According to FOX Sports, the NFLPA isn't confident they'll win their appeal of the Adrian Peterson ruling.

The Players Association is arguing that Peterson was told he'd be credited with "time served" for going on the Commissioner Exempt list. Even if they can prove that, it doesn't matter much. Under the terms of the personal conduct policy, domestic violence acts or acts committed in the presence of children are considered "aggravating circumstances" and can therefore be suspended further than the usual bans. Peterson is almost certainly done for the season.

with an indefinite suspension "time served" is meaningless

Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio reports the NFLPA and the NFL could still reach a settlement regarding Adrian Peterson's appeal of a season-ending suspension.

Arbitrator Harold Henderson has urged the NFL and NFLPA to work out a deal, but neither side has appeared willing to negotiate up to this point. Any settlement would have to come before Henderson issues his ruling, which is expected next week. With Sports Illustrated's Peter King reporting Peterson was "likely" to win his appeal, the NFL may be inclined to reach a settlement rather than deal with the backlash of another failure of their disciplinary process. Peterson is still unlikely to play this season, but his chances are improving by the day.

Per Rotoworld.com:

Appeals officer Harold Henderson has upheld Adrian Peterson's suspension.
Peterson's indefinite suspension will stand. The NFLPA is expected to file a lawsuit in federal court seeking his reinstatement, but he isn't going to return this season. Peterson will now be suspended from all team activities until at least April 15. Due $12.75 million in base salary next year, Peterson's 2015 status with the Vikings is up in the air. Dec 12 - 5:17 PM

The Minneapolis Star-Tribune concedes the Adrian Peterson era in Minnesota "may be over."

The potential breakup here is more about Peterson's contract than his legal issues. He turns 30 in March, carries a league-high for RBs $15.4M cap hit and has said he has no intention of taking a pay cut. The off-field complications only muddle the situation further. It's possible both sides are looking for a fresh start, which would make Jerick McKinnon the favorite to start Week 1 of 2015.

Won't take a pay cut? Ha... As if the Cowboys could even give him a cap number even relatively close to $15M. Good luck Adrian.

how much of his pay next season is already guaranteed? that pretty much dictates whether Peterson has any leverage here, but it looks like they'd only take a $2.4M cap hit for cutting him, which seems to mean there isn't much guaranteed money

Cut him loose. Move forward with McKinnon and Banyard splitting and Asiata as the redzone back. Obviously, look for another back in the draft, but I like the three that Minnesota has right now. Obviously, they aren't close to Peterson's level, but no running back is worth that kind of money. Especially when he's 30, very very stupid, can't pass protect, and isn't great catching the ball out of the backfield.

Adrian Peterson has been undergoing psychological counseling, and hopes it will help his reinstatement bid.

According to reporter Brian Murphy, Peterson has been undergoing four months of psychological counseling and parenting supervision. "He is doing what he’s supposed to do, and we’re hopeful once that has been completed he will be able to go back to playing," were the words of Peterson's attorney. Currently suing the league, Peterson can't be reinstated before April 15, but is angling for a March return. If released, a March return would allow Peterson to find a new team before clubs are finished with their big spending in free agency.

Per Rotoworld.com:

Vikings owner/president Mark Wilf said the team "would love to have" Adrian Peterson back next season.
Coach Mike Zimmer and GM Rick Spielman previously expressed support for Peterson, but this is the first comment from ownership. Wilf did add some caution to the end of his statement. "He's a Minnesota Viking, and we'd love to have him back," were Wilf's words. "And of course, a lot depends on the NFL and steps he's making in his own personal journey." Peterson counts $15.4 million against the salary cap. Eligible for reinstatement on April 15, Peterson's Vikings future remains up in the air. Feb 11 - 7:34 PM
Source: ESPN.com

Peterson is only a 2.4mil cap hit if released.

Talk about an EASY decision. He restructures drastically, or you cut him.

Per Rotoworld.com:

Vikings COO Kevin Warren stated Thursday that the club would welcome back suspended RB Adrian Peterson "with open arms" once he's reinstated.
It's notable because Warren was rumored to be not-on-board with bringing back Peterson were he reinstated during the 2014 season. Warren recently saw Peterson in court, attempting to have his suspension eradicated. "He's a member of the Vikings family," said Warren. "I just wanted to go up, give him a hug and let him know he looked good." Warren added that he hopes to "win multiple Super Bowls with Peterson," and "attend his Hall of Fame induction" in Canton. Feb 12 - 1:49 PM

Per Rotoworld.com:

Adrian Peterson said he is "still uneasy" about potentially returning to the Vikings in 2015.
Peterson said the Vikings' decision to work with the NFL to put him on the commissioner's exempt list last season felt like an "ambush," and he is "not in a good place" with the organization. "I know there are a lot of people in the organization who want me back," he said. "But then again, I know the ones who don't." The Vikings have been piling on the feel goods over the last month, but it appears there are still substantial hurt feelings on Peterson's end. Those hurt feelings should complicate any attempt by the Vikings to alleviate Peterson's $15.4 million cap charge. His future in Minnesota is truly up in the air. Feb 19 - 8:30 PM
Source: ESPN.com
NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports Adrian Peterson wants a "fresh start."
Rapoport is building on Peterson's own words. Peterson told ESPN on Thursday that he's "still uneasy" about returning to the Vikings after they worked with the NFL to land him on the commissioner's exempt list last season. Per Rapsheet, trust is a "major issue" between the two sides. Rapsheet reports the Vikes have no plans to cut Peterson, and that "trade would be the option." That's fine in theory, but won't happen in practice unless AD is willing to completely rip up and redo his contract. Release is beginning to look like the most likely endgame. Feb 19 - 9:52 PM
Edited by BLUE

This is great news. No pressure to pay a 30+ year old running back good quarterback money.

Cut him! :rock:

Vikings running back Adrian Peterson reportedly has made it known that he would like to play for the Cowboys, according to a report from Bleacher Report. But team officials have no desire to accommodate Peterson's trade demands.

The report said that Peterson has spoken with Vikings general manager Rick Spielman to request a trade. Despite that, Spielman and other team officials will not entertain the idea of dealing Peterson to any team, "especially not to the Cowboys," per the report.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2015-02-21/adrian-peterson-trade-rumors-report-has-requested-trade-to-dallas-cowboys-minnesota-vikings-decline?eadid=SOC%2FFB%2FSNMain

I hate the Vikings for pillaging the Packers trash, but this is pretty hilarious. They won't entertain his trade demands, "especially to the Cowboys".... Haha.

Edited by Favre4Ever

can the Cowboys take his cap hit? I guess if he wants to be traded there it probably means he'd be willing to restructure to make it happen, but they were struggling with figuring out how to keep Dez and DeMarco and Peterson has a much worse cap hit than DeMarco would have since AD signed his contract while RBs were still getting paid well, according to Spotrac Peterson is a $15.4M cap hit

I'm curious...assuming the Vikings decided to trade Peterson, if Stephen Jones went up to his father and said, "Dad, we can get Adrian Peterson, or we can re-sign Dez Bryant. But not both." What would Jurrah do? I think Dez is the no-brainer decision, but we all know Jerry loves him some popcorn...

I'm curious...assuming the Vikings decided to trade Peterson, if Stephen Jones went up to his father and said, "Dad, we can get Adrian Peterson, or we can re-sign Dez Bryant. But not both." What would Jurrah do? I think Dez is the no-brainer decision, but we all know Jerry loves him some popcorn...

yeah, let's see you can keep a 26 year old (turns 27 in November) top ten WR who's really just entering his prime or a 30 year old (29 until March 21) was a top five RB but hasn't played football in a year, tough call

ftr, I erred low on both rankings because we don't need to get into that discussion to demonstrate the point

• Upvote 1

You can't trade an overpaid player to anything but a dumb organization like Oakland or Cleveland. AP is just going to have to accept that he's going to be released, not traded .