Sign in to follow this  
DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

Jameis Winston (Draft QBs) Thread

All things QB during the regular season would go in this thread. I named it the Jameis Winston thread because he is, and will be the most talked about QB in this class (assuming he leaves after this year).

Anyway, he's on top of my far too early top 10. I think he's the best QB in this class, and at this point he's the only QB I'd take in the top 10.

Doesn't surprise me that you're a big fan of Winston DMac, because when I see the kid play he actually reminds me of a young Donovan McNabb out there. Despite the off-field problems, some quarterback-needy team will use a Top 10 pick on him if he declares after this season.

He may not be the brightest crayon in the box off the field, but his football IQ is crazy high at such a young age. I personally feel that Winston has the best field vision of any quarterback in college football.

As far as the other eligible quarterbacks go, the only other guy in the conversation with Winston is Marcus Mariota. The common comparison for Mariota is Colin Kaepernick, but that Mariota is a more refined passer at this stage of his career. I could see both Winston and Mariota going in the Top 10 of 2015's draft.

It also wouldn't shock me if a team selects Mariota over Winston based solely on the off field issues. It's definitely easier to give the keys to an NFL franchise to a guy like Mariota, and I can't necessarily say the same about Winston... At least not until he grows the fuck up.

Hell of a football player, but such a dumbass.

I'm more interested in Connor Cook. Or, looking forward, Christian Hackenberg.

• Upvote 1

The off the field stuff will be a red flag for teams, but they're gonna love his charisma and presence which they usually tie to leadership ability. His mechanics are pretty woeful but some QB coach/OC is gonna take the chance thinking they can improve them or at worst work around them. Agreed on the field vision, though I will say so far this year he doesn't look as potent without Kelvin Benjamin out there but then again FSU's running game and specifically Karlos Williams have really underwhelmed so far so he's not getting the same help from the RBs like he did last year. He makes FSU's OL look better than it actually is too via his speed in the processing of plays unfolding and getting the ball out or extending a play, so that's a plus for his NFL projection as well. It'll be interesting to see, I haven't seen Jameis progress from last year so far but it's only been two games. In fact he's been a little worse, so it's something to keep an eye on. The good ones in the NFL didn't typically regress as their college career went on. So we need to keep an eye on how he performs down the stretch here.

I kind of disagree with you FW in regards to Mariota possibly being viewed higher than Winston due to off the field stuff. I feel like Mariota might get the Teddy Bridgewater treatment in terms of his personality. Very lowkey, not very vocal. That scares teams away, they don't view it as signs of a great leader (though I disagree with that notion, the fact remains it exists.) As far as Mariota comps I understand people giving him the mobile QB comps like Kaep etc. But to me just strictly on a style basis, aesthetically he kind of reminds me of smaller, weaker armed Ben Roethlisberger. He's obviously way faster running and they're built differently, but he just plays like Ben did when he came out. Same playing style, both can escape sacks and extend plays with their feet. They're different players obviously but he just reminded me of Ben more so than Kaep because like you said he is further along passing wise than Kaep was.

The stupid in him completely negates any value he had from what he does between the lines. He is Vince Young stupid, and could never lead an NFL team to anything. He shouldn't be anywhere near a top 10 QB list. This from the guy who still thinks RGIII is good lol

Edited by BC

I take mobility over immobility where all else is equal, but it hardly ever is. I'm highly skeptical of these run heavy QB's because I think their legs often prevent them from hanging in and learning to exhaust all options from the pocket. Not to say it can't be done, but more often than not I think these guys fail to develop fully as passers. Plus, a heavy rush load in the NFL will land these guys on the injury report early and often. I think the majority of top level QB's in the NFL will continue to be pocket passers who only take off as a last resort.

The off the field stuff will be a red flag for teams, but they're gonna love his charisma and presence which they usually tie to leadership ability. His mechanics are pretty woeful but some QB coach/OC is gonna take the chance thinking they can improve them or at worst work around them. Agreed on the field vision, though I will say so far this year he doesn't look as potent without Kelvin Benjamin out there but then again FSU's running game and specifically Karlos Williams have really underwhelmed so far so he's not getting the same help from the RBs like he did last year. He makes FSU's OL look better than it actually is too via his speed in the processing of plays unfolding and getting the ball out or extending a play, so that's a plus for his NFL projection as well. It'll be interesting to see, I haven't seen Jameis progress from last year so far but it's only been two games. In fact he's been a little worse, so it's something to keep an eye on. The good ones in the NFL didn't typically regress as their college career went on. So we need to keep an eye on how he performs down the stretch here.

I kind of disagree with you FW in regards to Mariota possibly being viewed higher than Winston due to off the field stuff. I feel like Mariota might get the Teddy Bridgewater treatment in terms of his personality. Very lowkey, not very vocal. That scares teams away, they don't view it as signs of a great leader (though I disagree with that notion, the fact remains it exists.) As far as Mariota comps I understand people giving him the mobile QB comps like Kaep etc. But to me just strictly on a style basis, aesthetically he kind of reminds me of smaller, weaker armed Ben Roethlisberger. He's obviously way faster running and they're built differently, but he just plays like Ben did when he came out. Same playing style, both can escape sacks and extend plays with their feet. They're different players obviously but he just reminded me of Ben more so than Kaep because like you said he is further along passing wise than Kaep was.

If they're anything like me, they're going to find him excessively annoying.

The stupid in him completely negates any value he had from what he does between the lines. He is Vince Young stupid, and could never lead an NFL team to anything. He shouldn't be anywhere near a top 10 QB list. This from the guy who still thinks RGIII is good lol

On the field Jameis is miles ahead of what VY ever was. VY got to the NFL based on his athleticism. When he stepped on the field in high school and in college, he was just about always the best athlete on it. Because of that, VY never worked on his craft nearly as much as he should have. He thought he could just out-athlete his way to being a top NFL quarterback. I mean could you blame him? It's what got him to the NFL.

Jameis is a much better passer already than VY. That comparison is lazy and stupid BC.

• Upvote 1

Between the ears, FartWaffles. His off the field stupidity is akin to VY.

Between the ears, FartWaffles. His off the field stupidity is akin to VY.

Well your argument of Winston ever leading a team is off base too in my opinion. His leadership ability is actually one of the major positives Winston has, and this is coming from his coaches and his teammates.

Cam Newton is not the brightest bulb of the bunch and he is doing just fine.

Winston has made some stupid decisions but so has everyone else at some point in life, he is just under the spotlight.

I'm more interested in Connor Cook. Or, looking forward, Christian Hackenberg.

I'm surprised you like Cook given that from what I've seen he often looks extremely scared and hurried in the pocket.

Here are my way too early 2015 draft eligible QB rankings...

1. Jameis Winston, Florida State (Top 10)

2. Marcus Mariota, Oregon (Top 10)

3. Connor Cook, Michigan State (Top 25)

4. Brett Hundley, UCLA (Top 40)

After that it's a clusterfuck in the tier below that with Kevin Hogan, Bryce Petty, Sean Mannion, etc.

Not sold on Marietta though. It's far too early to bring completely judging, but I don't see him faring well in the NFL. The tools are there for a great QB... But he's got a lot of things going against him coming from Oregon's offense to one he's more likely to be a part of in the NFL.

What the hell happened to Brett Hundley? He was considered top 5 last year in the late stretch.

Sleeper candidate: Vernon Adams Jr.

Cam Newton is not the brightest bulb of the bunch and he is doing just fine.

Winston has made some stupid decisions but so has everyone else at some point in life, he is just under the spotlight.

Cam works his butt off, that's really why.

Hmm... Never really had a reason to watch Eastern Washington, but now I'll look into it.

Another name to keep an eye on is Mississippi State's Dak Prescott.

I just watched Vernon Adams play Montana State on Saturday. He mostly sucked. No pressure and still a lot of off target throws.

What the hell happened to Brett Hundley? He was considered top 5 last year in the late stretch.

He's a 1st rd. QB imo.

Right now for me it's, Winston, Cook, Hundley, Marietta

Hmm... Never really had a reason to watch Eastern Washington, but now I'll look into it.

Another name to keep an eye on is Mississippi State's Dak Prescott.

31-46 for 475 yards and 7-0 TD-INT against an "elite" Washington defense with multiple projected 1st rounders.

Chuckie Keeton doesn't look very good this season :nope:

I was a big fan of Keeton last year. He looked like Manziel out there, but his running seemed more calculated than the Manziel "improv run like a chicken with it's head cut off." Looks like he isn't recovering too well from that ACL injury...

Jameis has been an idiot off the field. No denying. But I'm still not sold that he's gonna be a clown off the field in the Pros too. After all, Peyton Manning's past incidents which bordered on sexual harassment didn't carry over into the NFL... college kids gonna fuck up. It's what they do. :yep:

:kobe:

• Upvote 1

Buffalo Bills 2nd round pick

For Jameis? Ha! Keep dreaming. There's no doubt in my mind that he gets drafted in the first round.