Bay

How high would you draft Amari Cooper?

11 members have voted

1. 1. How high?

• Top 5 pick
    • 10-15
    • Mid-late first
    • 2nd round or later

The Alabama speedster is thought of to be in the same class as an AJ Green-Julio Jones type.

Do you buy the hype? I've seen him play quite a few times and he is a game changer.

I still wouldn't do a Julio Jones type deal for any WR even if desperate for someone like that. :nope:

Wouldn't trade up for him but he is a 5-10 pick talent. Highest I'd probably take him is #4.

I don't think he's in the same class as Green and Jones were coming out. That's real tough to match. Seems like since those two were drafted a few years ago, there has been a guy every year that gets the tag of "this guy is the same caliber as Julio Jones and AJ Green". That's not the case, Cooper is a great receiver, game changing absolutely, but I think he's a guy that will go somewhere from 10-15. I'm not buying that he's going to make the top 10, and I can't say I would take him in the top 10.

I have him in the 5-15 range at the moment. Quite a few good receivers coming out of this next draft as well.

I prefer him to Sammy Watkins. And if he was good enough to go in the top 5, Cooper is better. Its still very early on, but he is an extremely safe pick at this point, imo. Definite top 5 prospect right now.

I wouldn't trade up for him, but CJ aside I can't think of another receiver I'd trade up for.

• Upvote 1

If there were an option for somewhere between 6-10, that's the one I would choose. There is a lot of good talent coming out this year at more premium positions than receiver IMO. I still see Cooper as a Top 10 pick though.

It's ridiculous to watch this guy run routes. He looks so polished, hips are so smooth... And he consistently goes up for the catch and comes down with them.

Who's to say he has a better chance of busting than anyone else? If he'll be the focal of the offense for you and be a top 10 receiver, #1. These kinds of players help teams survive.

Edited by BC

First receiver drafted since 2002...

'02: :Saints: - Donte Stallworth (13th)

'03: :Lions: - Charles Rogers (2nd)

'04: :Cardinals: - Larry Fitzgerald (3rd)

'05: :Browns: - Braylon Edwards (3rd)

'06: :Steelers: - Santonio Holmes (25th)

'07: :Lions: - Calvin Johnson (2nd)

'08: :Rams: - Donnie Avery (33rd)

'09: :Raiders: - Darrius Heyward-Bey (7th)

'10: :Broncos: - Demaryius Thomas (22nd)

'11: :Bengals: - A.J. Green (4th)

'12: :jags: - Justin Blackmon (5th)

'13: :Rams: - Tavon Austin (8th)

'14: :Bills: - Sammy Watkins (4th)

More misses than hits, so be careful what you wish for.

Depends on my team needs and who else is on the board, but as far as impact on wins and losses WR's aren't real high on the list. Ultimately if he's clearly the best player on the board and my team sucks and just needs talent I take him in the top 5, sure, but trading up picks for him in the top 10? I wouldn't. :shrug:

First receiver drafted since 2002...

'02: :Saints: - Donte Stallworth (13th)

'03: :Lions: - Charles Rogers (2nd)

'04: :Cardinals: - Larry Fitzgerald (3rd)

'05: :Browns: - Braylon Edwards (3rd)

'06: :Steelers: - Santonio Holmes (25th)

'07: :Lions: - Calvin Johnson (2nd)

'08: :Rams: - Donnie Avery (33rd)

'09: :Raiders: - Darrius Heyward-Bey (7th)

'10: :Broncos: - Demaryius Thomas (22nd)

'11: :Bengals: - A.J. Green (4th)

'12: :jags: - Justin Blackmon (5th)

'13: :Rams: - Tavon Austin (8th)

'14: :Bills: - Sammy Watkins (4th)

More misses than hits, so be careful what you wish for.

You'd don't judge a player by former players. Just like you don't judge Andrew Luck by his father. You don't judge #1 overall picks by #1 overall pick history. Everyone is different and any attempt at grouping an upcoming player with a former player is ignorant. Edited by Chernobyl426

I haven't spotlighted Cooper yet.

My thoughts on drafting a WR may be a bit different.

I simply wouldn't consider a WR in the top 15 unless he was clearly special. Cooper isn't that. Is he good? Yeah. Looks polished. Aggressively attacks the ball. But honestly virtually every draft has a handful of guys who either have those traits, or quickly develops them at the pro level. Guys available in the 45-90 overall range.

WR is a position that I'd simply wait on unless it's a game changer talent. Even statistically speaking, the best WRs in each draft class almost always is picked after 20th overall. With very few exceptions (and the bulk of those being those clear special talents).

I wouldn't touch Cooper before #20. I'd simply allow some other team to bypass other, more vital talents by taking him early. If a team is picking that early, then they are almost assuredly severely flawed. Probably without a franchise QB. Likely with a poor defense and/or poor rushing attack. I'd be satisfied with taking a flyer or two later in the draft on guys I felt could be developed.

Even if I were interested at WR, I'm trading back to the late 1st, and picking between Montgomery/Coates/Parker. If I had the choice of three, I'd take Coates over Cooper straight up. Probably Cooper over Montgomery -- although Ty's special teams ability would factor in here. All three of those are equally physically gifted (some even more so) and have significant quality to their games. I'd actually rather trade back, add a 3rd round pick, and hope DGB slides or take one of the aforementioned three. Dorial is obviously a huge risk. But he's a huge upside talent. I'd much rather use a late 1st on a home run talent, than an early first on a more sure player but a generically available physical prospect.

I look at Cooper and I see a Hakeem Nicks/Jeremy Maclin/Michael Crabtree type of producer at the next level. A starter level guy for a good career. But not a guy who will keep opposing OCs up at night to gameplan for him. Not a player who will demand double team help consistently. Someone probably worth a second contract.

Yea I wouldn't draft a receiver that high unless he is a CJ or Julio Jones (never was that high on Green). Cooper isn't that from a value perspective. But from a talent perspective he is a top 10 possibly top 5 guy in this class right now.

Yea I wouldn't draft a receiver that high unless he is a CJ or Julio Jones (never was that high on Green). Cooper isn't that from a value perspective. But from a talent perspective he is a top 10 possibly top 5 guy in this class right now.

Are you saying that you don't think Green was worthy of his draft slot, or you just wouldn't have taken him there in real time?

I wouldn't of taken him in the top 10, or above Julio Jones. So I guess in a way you can say I didn't think he deserved his spot. :p

Thems fighting words...

Honestly looking back on it I wasn't sure about AJ till week 1. The dawn of Cherry's football observing career is very confusing.

I was 100% in on AJ Green.

I remember wanting him or Newton with the #1 overall pick.

You'd don't judge a player by former players. Just like you don't judge Andrew Luck by his father. You don't judge #1 overall picks by #1 overall pick history. Everyone is different and any attempt at grouping an upcoming player with a former player is ignorant.

I'm not lumping Cooper in with any former players. Just pointing out that in past drafts the receiver position has had a lot of misses early. That is all. I found it interesting after doing the research.

TGP: The king of over-analyzing simple statements.

Thems fighting words...

Honestly looking back on it I wasn't sure about AJ till week 1. The dawn of Cherry's football observing career is very confusing.

Obviously his production has been great, and he's been elite for the most part of his career... But I wasn't as impressed of him as a prospect as a lot of other people. Still not.

He's very good. I voted middle to late first round. Shifty in the way he plays DBs, smooth route runner, good hips, can snag the ball out the air, smart heady player. Obviously he's got some burst and speed to him too. But like has been said, he's not in that freak category like CJ, Julio, etc. So I wouldn't burn a top 10 pick on him if I'm a team picking in the top 10 because likely I'm there with much more important critical holes than WR. But he's very good.

One of my first watches of last year to start my honking the horn on the Kyle Fuller bandwagon was when he went toe-to-toe with Cooper in 'Bama's first game. Even when Coop beat him with a move, he'd recover and end up making a play on the ball. Some of the other times it's hard to judge in a vacuum because A.J. McCarron was his QB and made some off throws when it looked like Coop had maybe beaten him with a move that fell incomplete.

He's very talented, he's gonna be a great pro but middle to late first round is where I'm taking him if I'm a GM.

Obviously his production has been great, and he's been elite for the most part of his career... But I wasn't as impressed of him as a prospect as a lot of other people. Still not.

This is... strange. It's not like he's a product of a system or a great QB. He was the best receiver in CFB, and now he's in the conversation for best receiver in the league despite dragging Dalton along with him. I think it's time to wave the white flag on this one.

• Upvote 1

Anyone change their mind?

:notbad: Not really, sounds about right. He's really good, just might have some struggles in the red zone because he's not great at high pointing and contested catches. He got better at contested catches this year from the year before but with his size and strength you would hope he was a little better there.

Even if the Jags trolled everyone and took Cooper 3rd overall I'd be kinda bummed via the value there and not going for one of the pass rushers, but he would be great for Bortles and the offense. They don't have a guy that's a really great route runner who's got quickness and bursts out of their cuts. Lee's got the burst, but doesn't have the route running and a guy who can get open easy is a blessing for a young QB.

Edited by CampinWithGoatSampson

I think there's a "Big 3" at the position.. Coming away with any of them is a win, in my book. Although, I must admit.. While White is soaring for a lot of people... I am reallllly starting to love Parker.

• Upvote 2