blotsfan

2014-15 NBA Season

Alvin Gentry to coach the Pelicans. Very underrated hire and underrated coach. Great offensive mind who hopefully hires some good defensive assistants.

Alvin Gentry to coach the Pelicans. Very underrated hire and underrated coach. Great offensive mind who hopefully hires some good defensive assistants.

He is average man. Ettore Messina was a better choice if he was willing to take the job. Thibs was pretty dumb for not wanting to coach there.

Time to share my thoughts on the Thibs situation:

I've always been a long time supporter of Thibs. Everybody here saw the "heart, hustle, and muscle" teams that we put on the floor in the D-Rose-less years. It was amazing to watch; a team without any superstars taking the fight to the playoffs and the "big 3" Miami Heat every year. Even though we'd be crushed by the Heat, we all knew it would be a lot closer and we wouldn't be humiliated if we had our superstar back.

Well this year we got him back. Jimmy Butler became an Allstar. We got future HOFer Pau Gasol who had his best year in the NBA at 33 years old. Tony Snell and Niko Mirotic make huge jumps for us off the bench, showing Bulls fans and NBA fans everywhere that they can start and succeed, helping to carry the team to the postseason in the absence of Derrick, Jimmy, and Taj when they were out for 1+ month with individual injuries. So the Bulls go into the playoffs with the best roster they've had under Thibodeau and it's 100% healthy (Noah is gimpy but he can play). And what happens?

We are humiliated again.

I'm starting to believe the leaks from the FO, that they're not happy with the way he runs the team. We seemed out of gas, out of energy, and just not willing to play for the coach anymore. The players look liked they'd given up. Last year, when Noah won DPOY, he made the famous remark toward Thibs "You know if we weren't winning, I'd really hate you". And we all just brushed it aside like it was a joke at how hard and how seriously he runs the team. Now I kinda get it. He works his players so hard they've got nothing left in the tank at the end of the year.

Additionally, personnel decisions killed us. Why, pray tell, was Kirk Hinrich and Aaron Brooks our plan to beat the Cleveland Cavs who, in their current state, were the worse basketball team than us? Niko didn't play well so I understand that. But Tony Snell should have been given more minutes. Give Jimmy a break so Jimmy can play late in the 4th instead of having to foul James because he can't keep up.

This year, after 2 injury ruined season, we saw the same coach doing the same things, with a better roster. Like Campin's article says, he refused to evolve in the league. Things changed around him and what was on his plate changed. But he didn't want to. And it doomed us this year and will continue to doom us if he stayed on the team.

Love you Thibs, good luck wherever you go, but as a Bulls fan first this was definitely needed.

---

• And no, Jimmy isn't going anywhere. According to one of the more reliable Bulls beat reporters, the FO and Reinsdorf have already told him that they'll re-sign him to our max contract.
  • Thibs wants the Lakers job, and apparently he thinks AD is gonna bolt when his contract is up
  • Ettore Messina is widely seen as the successor to Coach Pop (Pop himself endorsed Ettore), so it seems that he'll stay in SA til Pop retires
  • Bulls apparently have a "gentlemen's agreement" on the table for 5 years/$25M for Hoiberg they expect him to take the deal. Hopefully we get some good assistants around him especially for defense.
Edited by badgers
  • Upvote 1

He is average man. Ettore Messina was a better choice if he was willing to take the job. Thibs was pretty dumb for not wanting to coach there.

Average with mediocre-at-best pieces at every stop he's ever had. He's a great offensive mind and if he puts together a great staff the Pelicans will be much, much better. Good assistants running the defense is becoming much more common in the NBA, anyway. He apparently showed up to his interview and presented on the way AD was misused and how to maximize him as an offensive player.

Edited by BwareDWare94

Hoiberg has officially been hired by the Bulls. SEE (F)RED.

My immediate reaction...

• In his press conference he really stressed communication with his peers (players, management, etc.) to build a connection. Exact opposite of what Thibs did. Players always said that they never had a real conversation with him. It was basketball or nothing. That's why Thibs is such a good coach (basketball = life) but at the same time the personal aspect to being a coach is important. That kind of quality would be great in the front office but not at the helm of a team.
  • On the same note, he expressed his interest in giving players proper rest. I'm sure he emphasized this just to distance himself from the guy who was just hired, but it's still important. It's something Thibs never understood. Thibs valued a regular season win far too much and it cost us in the playoffs. We usually would peak around February/March, and have nothing left in the tank for the playoffs. Hoiberg says he understands that timing is important when you start playing at your peak. Who couldn't like that?
  • Both Fred and Gar seemed 100% confident/under the assumption that Butler will be on the team next year. Gar said something along the lines of "We know we aren't gonna have a lot of money to spend". That's only the case if we max Jimmy or indulge in a big free agent.
  • Said he will look into retaining our assistants for consistency's sake and to help him with defense. Can't remember exactly but I think he has experience working with both Ed Pickney and Adrian Griffin.
  • Really likes what he sees in Derrick and Jimmy in the offense he's gonna bring. Same with Noah, he said. I do have concerns with Gasol with what he said. He likes mobile big men who can move around in his offense. Gasol wants to just run down the paint and sit in the post.

Hmm, not sure what else to say right now. I'm optimistic. My only real concern is that too many of our players won't fit into the system he wants to run. Derrick and Jimmy were made for his type of offense. Same with Dun-dun (if we re-sign him), Niko, Snell, and Dougie. But Taj, Noah, and Pau... they might have a tough time. Taj probably less than the other two. He's more mobile of the 3 and capable playing any position.

Edited by badgers

Calling it now:

Royce White to the Bulls

I thought it was pretty funny he was talking about resting guys enough. As you say, it was probably talked about between he and Forman before they agreed to a deal because of thew problems Thibs had with it.. But at Iowa State, Hoiberg ran his starters into the ground. If you weren't in the starting 5, the chances you saw the court were extremely low -- especially beyond the 6th man.

I still wish him the best though. I'm a fan.

Fred Hoiberg is a great coach but a better man. He is respected by every single player and staff member he has worked with. I have no doubt he will find success in the NBA, and I can't wait to share that with him.

Edited by Favre4Ever

Hate this hire.

I think Hoiberg is a class act, but he's not what the Bulls need. The problem with the Bulls to me wasn't the coaching, it's the front office. The front office that doesn't want to spend money and will probably let Jimmy Butler walk.

Not a fan. The strength of this team is defense. Now we bring in an offensive minded coach that will undoubtedly not have the same heart for defense as Thibs...and will be trying to coach players with limited offensive talent?

Unless some roster moves happen...

This sucks.

I thought it was pretty funny he was talking about resting guys enough. As you say, it was probably talked about between he and Forman before they agreed to a deal because of thew problems Thibs had with it.. But at Iowa State, Hoiberg ran his starters into the ground. If you weren't in the starting 5, the chances you saw the court were extremely low -- especially beyond the 6th man.

I still wish him the best though. I'm a fan.

Fred Hoiberg is a great coach but a better man. He is respected by every single player and staff member he has worked with. I have no doubt he will find success in the NBA, and I can't wait to share that with him.

I have no knowledge of his tendencies at Iowa State but I believe what you say. If that's true, he won't be allowed to do that here. That was the number one spark in the friction between Thibs and GarPax. And for what it's worth he mentioned speaking to Dougie, E'Twaun and Niko already in person. And he mentioned Snell by name in regards to his offensive plans. So it's a good start toward getting those guys more involved.

Thibs did a nice job at getting Niko in there Niko just completely vanished in the playoffs. That ain't on Thibs.

I have no knowledge of his tendencies at Iowa State but I believe what you say. If that's true, he won't be allowed to do that here. That was the number one spark in the friction between Thibs and GarPax. And for what it's worth he mentioned speaking to Dougie, E'Twaun and Niko already in person. And he mentioned Snell by name in regards to his offensive plans. So it's a good start toward getting those guys more involved.

Thibs did a nice job at getting Niko in there Niko just completely vanished in the playoffs. That ain't on Thibs.

Oh ya. Like I said, I am SURE that was discussed before he was hired, so I am not expecting it to be a problem in Chicago. 95% of Hoiberg's Press Conference today was about his family and the people he is leaving back in Ames, Iowa... I think a tear rolled down my face. :(

And if you think Jimmy Butler is good now.... Wait until next year. Hoiberg is going to love himself some Jimmy Butler.

Hate this hire.

I think Hoiberg is a class act, but he's not what the Bulls need. The problem with the Bulls to me wasn't the coaching, it's the front office. The front office that doesn't want to spend money and will probably let Jimmy Butler walk.

Not a fan. The strength of this team is defense. Now we bring in an offensive minded coach that will undoubtedly not have the same heart for defense as Thibs...and will be trying to coach players with limited offensive talent?

Unless some roster moves happen...

This sucks.

That's because we had Tom Thibodeau, one of the best defensive coaches in the game and an innovator in defensive schemes. Teams tend to flow towards the direction of the coach's strong suit. And I don't know how you can say a team with Derrick Rose, Jimmy Butler, Pau Gasol, and Niko Mirotic is "limited" in its offensive potential.

We saw how deadly this team can be and how quickly we can erase a deficit. Our main problem on offense wasn't talent it was scheme. We'd run outdated plays and slow the pace of the game, which doesn't play to the strengths of our players. And like I mentioned before, poor personnel decisions. Thibs would send out duds like Kirk Hinrich. I love Kirk but he's got nothing left and shouldn't be out there.

The talent is there. You'd have to be blind to not see the talent we have on both ends of the court. Our problem was mismanagement of that talent. I'm not saying Hoiberg is the answer yet. He was just hired today. But I'm hopeful.

• Upvote 1

The transformation is complete !

(stares at userbar)

Completely inconsequential hire. Derrick Rose won't stay healthy. Pau and Noah are past their primes. Jimmy Butler is secondary option material, a less polished Paul George at his best. Hiring Hoiberg will mean nothing. This won't be his championship stop in the NBA.

Completely inconsequential hire. Derrick Rose won't stay healthy. Pau and Noah are past their primes. Jimmy Butler is secondary option material, a less polished Paul George at his best. Hiring Hoiberg will mean nothing. This won't be his championship stop in the NBA.

More groundbreaking analysis from you, eh?

1. I'll concede on your first point. There's a chance he won't stay healthy. But there's also a chance that ANYBODY gets hurt. Derrick looked great in the playoffs for the most part and had a reasonably successful season given that this year was his first year back from TWO knee surgeries. He missed one month this year. I still do fear that we'll lose him again but I don't think it'll happen. It's more of something that is always in the back of my mind.

2. How'd you come up with this beautiful insight? Gasol just had the best year of his career last year and even if he halves his production in 2015 he's still a reasonable player for us and a starter on most NBA teams. And Noah was hobbled all year. Doesn't excuse him making up layups but he was also playing out of position. Coming off an ankle or knee surgery (not sure which), he was forced into being much more mobile and active on both ends of the floor because of the addition of Gasol. And I do agree they're past their primes. But even being past their primes is still good basketball. We're talking about a future HOF player and last year's DPOY here. Not some scrubs who lit it up for a season or two.

3. This is where I actually smiled at your post. Jimmy WAS our PRIMARY option this year for scoring. He led the team, was top 10 in the league I believe (not looking it up that's just my guess at what I can remember), is one of the best perimeter defenders in the league and can be compared to the energizer bunny in that he never quits. He didn't disappear in the playoffs, either, against Lebron guarding him so you should know it's not a lucky season. He might drop in performance now that he's gonna get his money but he'll still be one of our best players and would be a starter on every team in the league (as a G/F, they'd find a place for him). Given he's not as good as a 100% healthy Paul George, that's still not saying he's secondary option material lol. A lot of people aren't as good as Paul George, Tim Duncan, Lebron, oh, I could go on but I think we're on the same page.

Maybe Hoiberg doesn't bring a championship here. That'd suck. But your defense of your suggestion that the hire is inconsequential is flawed. There's no actual evidence that your statements will actually hold true in the future; in fact, the arrow points the opposite way.

Pau may be past his prime. But isn't he coming off his best year ever?

Kyrie is out... Not all that big of a Kyrie fan, but.. Damn. Lol.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1820/kyrie-irving/1

An MRI revealed Kyrie Irving suffered a fractured kneecap and he will miss the next 3-4 months.

Terrible news. He will have surgery in Cleveland and he could be in jeopardy of missing the start of 2015-16 training camp. This injury is not directly related to his tendinitis issue, so him playing so many minutes on his weak left knee is somewhat irrelevant. Moving forward, the Cavs will have to start Matthew Dellavedova with extra help from J.R. Smith and Iman Shumpert.

Kyrie is out... Not all that big of a Kyrie fan, but.. Damn. Lol.

Kyrie played incredible last night.

This series is over.

Warriors with the sweep, IMO. 5 at most.

I don't even think MJ could carry the Cavs right now against Golden State.

Edited by Thanatos19

MJ carried a team to a title exactly 0 times. Zero.

mb8XyMd.gif

• Upvote 1

Yea, Jordan is the greatest scorer of all time, but he didn't even manage to get past the first round until he got some help (Pippen). Granted, the 80s had some rough teams, the point still stands.

Lebron could get some consistent help if he stayed in one place. Until then, he could sputter in his many Finals appearances. Although, with or without Kyrie, this wasn't going to end well for him. This, actually, probably makes him look even better... Now losing Kyrie is going to be nothing but an excuse for Lebron losing against GS.