Sign in to follow this  
Bucman

Mariota or Winston?

A lot of it has to do with the roster around them, but at the same time a number of these coaches have too much pride to tweak a system. There are so many coaches who try to force their offense down a player's throat and if he can't handle it...oh well he is a bust (in their eyes).

You see more praise for guys like Adam Gase from Denver, Chip Kelly, and guys like that who value the ability to be flexible and change the system depending on the QB.

Norv Turner doesn't change his system, but he is a heavy west coast guy which is based on short-med high percentage throws. And those are confidence-building for young QBs and easier for them to progress in.

I like Mariota because:
-Elite athleticism
-Great ability to throw on the run (A lot better than most running QBs)
-Underrated in the pocket, he's not Peyton Manning but he's better than people give him credit for
-Smart on and off the field

I'll give Winston the edge with the arm, but that's about it IMO. His wind up concerns me, his knack of trying to do too much concerns me and the fact he regressed so badly REALLY concerns me. When the talent level at FSU dropped, so did his level of play. Which concerns me that he isn't a guy to elevate your team, which is kind of what you want from a guy #1 overall. This isn't even mentioning the off the field stuff.

Now with the hire of Koetter as OC, he likes using some vertical spreads, bubble screens and a up tempo offense. It sounds like something Mariota could ease into and have some success.

I'm interested to see Bridgewater in year 2 with Adrian Peterson back.

Mettenberger too. He was quietly one of the better rookie QBs

I liked Mettenberger a lot coming into the NFL. He has amazing throwing ability.

Now with the hire of Koetter as OC, he likes using some vertical spreads, bubble screens and a up tempo offense. It sounds like something Mariota could ease into and have some success.

Guess who is a disciple of Koetter?........Mark Helfrich the current Oregon Head Coach

Mariota redzone completion % was bad. The offense the run doesn't help but this still speaks to the knock on not throwing into tight windows.

Hopefully NFL scouts have the same opinion of Mariota F4E does so that he has a Bridgewater-esque fall down the board to the Eagles at #20. :smug:

By the way, I'm not saying F4E or anyone is wrong about Mariota. In fact, I think concerns about him in a pro style offense are legitimate, which is why is best landing spot is undoubtedly Philadelphia.

It's strange, Mariota was all the range and hype up until just after the NC game now people are off him all over the place. Even Mayock who was riding mariota every way possible has changed his mind.

Honestly I see Marcus getting the same treatment Teddy had in the draft, I honestly see him falling to either the Chiefs or the Eagles as both of these offences would fit Mariota day one.

Also if he goes to Chicago I'll be so pissed.

Edited by Bangy

I honestly still think Mariota is the favorite for the Bucs. The combine hasn't happened yet so it's meaningless, but it's just a hunch. The media opinion has kind of soured on Mariota for some reason when nothing has really changed, and Jameis is the more juicy story.

I like both guys but I think a lot of people are overblowing Mariota's issues and over stating Winston's ability. I about spit up when Todd McShay said Winston is the closest thing to a Luck type prospect? Seriously? Am I the only one who saw him struggle to play with any sort of consistency last year? Or is everyone beating off to 2013 highlights?

People are questioning Mariota for the scheme he played in, not the skills he possesses. From everything I've seen, Mariota is a good decision-maker with reliable reads. People question his ability to go through progressions but he does that on every play thanks to the options he may run. The only question for Mariota that media sources prompt is his ability to learn the pro system; but I think he will develop in time. Let him ride the bench for a year then let him take the reins. Mariota seems to be a smart individual, he should pick it up fast.

That said, I haven't individually judged either in extensive film. Everything I've seen points me towards Mariota though. All the times I watched Winston he made poor decisions that cost him the game a hundred times over. Somehow he pulled W's out of his ass and walked to Pasadena. Guess who was there to beat the shit out of him when he made mistakes? :smug:

Honestly I see Marcus getting the same treatment Teddy had in the draft, I honestly see him falling to either the Chiefs or the Eagles as both of these offences would fit Mariota day one.

I still think Mariota will be a Top 10 pick, but if your scenario comes true and the Texans pass on Mariota at 16...

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/uncyclopedia/images/b/b5/Exploding-head.gif

Edited by FartWaffles

Everyone knew about the scheme Mariota was playing in all year yet he was consistently viewed as the top guy until recently for some reason.

There are going to be so many disappointed teams this year when it comes to QBs, Bucs probably tops on that list. Browns probably close behind, depending on the moves they make or don't make.

The thing is that Maroita is ridiculously smart dude I generally don't see him having any problems learning a pro style.

Learning, and applying what you know are two different things...

And who's to say Mariota won't apply? On paper I like Mariota's potential over Jameis' mental mistakes.

@CBS11BillJones: According to Rich Eisen, Steve Mariucci says Jameis Winston is "most astute x's & o's guy he's ever put on the board" at combine.

They were just talking about it on NFL Network.

Winston definitely looks on point with his throws. Mariota looks OK but has missed more than I would like to see form him. Bryce Petty coming away a winner, so far... Lots to see still though.

Some people are dropping the "Peyton Manning" tag on Winston. To that, I'd like to say... Pump the breaks!

Considering Peyton threw 28 INTs his rookie season, I can see where they're coming from.

• Upvote 1

I think Winston is a more polished passer, but he's also a much more efficient turnover machine.

Oregon doesn't really allow a quarterback to show his full range of throws. I don't know if I can assess Mariota fairly.

I think I'd pass on every quarterback in this draft if I didn't absolutely need one, immediately.

They were just talking about it on NFL Network.

Wow. That is very surprising. He seems like a huge meat head. Like this vine of him going HAM on 2 phones to get chicks on tinder and then making this hilarious face at his boys.

https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/C54E2DC0D61179687462923370496_33f3022ff7e.1.5.3669012474878055837.mp4?versionId=uA9P8hHkHpAsREKX1VtEmrSZuGoK1mev

That clip with Winston and Mooch was way overhyped.

Wasn't nothing impressive about that IMO :badass:

Jameis seems incredibly intelligent when it comes to football. Maybe that's why he lacks intelligence in any other way. :shrug:

When I turned on the tape tonight and watched about ten games of Winston, I realized that I have severely underrated him. He has an insanely talented arm and is from a standpoint of pure potential, the best quarterback prospect in this draft. With that said, he has a tendency to make mistakes in decision-making, and constantly throws off his back foot despite negative results. Graded him as a mid-late 1st. I just don't see someone who continually makes back foot throws and doesn't refine his mechanics as being a true success in the NFL, no matter how talented he is.

He's a classic gunslinger, you take the good with the bad, imo. A vast majority of his INTs are his own fault. Throwing into double, triple coverage to get picked off. But, when the game is on the line, or things get serious, he just about always makes the right decisions. At least to me, it means he has some understanding of when to be judicial with the ball, and when to be more loose.