Maverick

Lynch Trademarks "I'm Just Here So I Won't Get Fined"

He's a weird dude. No question.

The league instituted this obligation so many years ago in order to promote their brand and fan interest in the players and league.

The fact is, nobody really remembers the canned responses of stars or the finely crafted, insightful responses to questions. Lynch basically didn't say anything other than to thumb his nose at authority and the league. And that dominated the media day discussion.

In the realm of generating interest and discussion from media day, no player did as much as Lynch has. I don't see any posts anywhere discussing Brady's media day session. Even though I felt he was very approachable and gave honest, no canned answers. It's just I don't remember anything he actually said. And it certainly didn't generate any interest or memorable moments.

Lynch, by saying almost nothing for 2 super bowls running, has provided some of the signature moments and sound bites of the pre game rituals.

He's provided the league with exactly what they wanted with the media day obligation. Interest. Whether you like the act or hate it, we as fans are only talking about Lynch. There is no basis for discussion amongst any other players' appearances with the media.

• Upvote 1

'Sup dudes, I don't wanna talk to ya'll, but lemme go pose nude for this Body issue of ESPN magazine.

More so than him being in actual peril or discomfort ? Absolutely. He had a well planned and thought out opening statement... I think part of it is that a lot of you think he is just incredibly stupid. He's weird... He's different. But he isn't stupid. He's building an image for himself. A rebel that gets 'picked on' by the big bad NFL...

Branding at its finest.

It's neither. I don't think he has anxiety about it, and I don't think he's trying to draw attention to himself, despite that being the end result. He just doesn't give a flying f*ck what others think of him, and will bow to no man. He's got issue with the NFL forcing him to give interviews he doesn't want to give, and he's made it pretty clear, in Thursday's session even, that the media asking loaded questions in attempts to get a story they want to write or portray him in a way he doesn't want to be portrayed, pisses him off. That's all media around the NFL (and in general) does; try to find and exacerbate controversy and drama. I don't blame him for giving those "reporters" and the NFL a big middle finger.

And it most certainly isn't an act. He's like that all the time, at least from all interviews I've seen him give, and accounts from other players.

• Upvote 1

I think it started out that way, sure. But he's taken notice of the overall wild success this has been and he milks it a little. He knows going into a press conference and repeating one phrase over and over is going to get attention. You know what would be REALLY boring? Him giving simple, one sentence REAL answers to everything.

If your goal is to avoid the media as much as possible.. if your goal is to make sure they don't write those stories or give you extra attention... Why would you do the same thing over and over that produces the results you 'don't want'. He's either incredibly moronic or very intelligent.

I am not saying that's what he should do... or whatever. Like most people here, I don't really care what he does. And it's something different. It's entertaining. As you stated... He makes people want to watch him. And that's the key... He doesn't stay under the radar, he just does him...

Edited by Favre4Ever

More than 1,000 hats sold out between the brand's online store and the temporary Scottsdale shop, where he was also selling a shirt that said "About that action BOSS."

It's the line Lynch told NFL Network's Deion Sanders at last year's media day when he hid from the press. Lynch's team, of course, trademarked that phrase, too.

Even though Lynch has walked off the podium when his required time with the media has elapsed, recap after recap has given his "MB" major air time. In fact, sponsorship valuation company Front Row Analytics calculate that Lynch has received $2.6 million in equivalent advertising time from the logo on his hat over the past three days.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/12250612/super-bowl-xlix-beast-mode-pop-store-doing-brisk-sales?ex_cid=espnFB

Edited by Favre4Ever

bit off topic, but I expect to see at least one sign at the Super Bowl that says "Gronk use your bumble bees"

Do you find his antics funny? Do you have a problem with them? Does he deserve his fines? Is the NFL unfairly targeting him?

Thanks for aksing. :yep:

Guest Phailadelphia

Roger Goodell turned down an interview from NBC today, so there's that.

Has anyone given any thought to the Marshawn Lynch-Gregg Popovich dynamic? Two very similar approaches to handling the media with two very different outcomes.

Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote strongly criticized Seattle Seahawks running backMarshawn Lynch on Monday, saying Lynch is sending the wrong message to children.

"He always mentions his foundation and what he likes to do for the city of Oakland," Foote said in an interview with 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh. "I'm from the same type of urban environment that he's from.

"The biggest message he's giving these kids, he might not want to admit it, is 'The hell with authority. I don't care, fine me. I'm gonna grab my crotch. I'm gonna do it my way.'"

Foote's point is kids will believe they can act the same as Lynch does.

"In the real world, it doesn't work that way," Foote said. "It just doesn't. How can you keep a job? I mean, you got these inner-city kids. They don't listen to teachers. They don't listen to police officers, principals. And these guys can't even keep a job because they say 'F' authority."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12272608/arizona-cardinals-linebacker-larry-foote-says-marshawn-lynch-seattle-seahawks-sending-wrong-message-kids?src=mobile&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2F%22%7D

Edited by Favre4Ever
  • Upvote 1

After hearing Foote's comments in full today.....I didn't really read what he said before talking about Lynch......I couldn't agree more.

As I've said to so many people who bash Lynch, he is a big giver in his community and a huge advocate for projects and new ideas to rebuild where he is from.

HOWEVER, a lot of these athletes, celebrities, and figures that come from these disenfranchised neighborhoods do a number of giveaways and believe filling these communities with material goods that are lacking in their lives will bring some sort of fulfillment that they never had as a child. And then having these camps in which they show their face in the community is meant to be a reminder to kids that someone cares for them.

All well wishes and great intentions, but the intangible/action-oriented takeaways aren't always what these public figures give to kids. They give them material to take home and learn to get excited whenever Marshawn is around. But like Foote said we aren't building and investing in these kids by teaching them life skills, improving their education system, or working with the law officials to clean up some of the violence. Marshawn might be on his way to doing some of those things, but nothing will go further than the way you carry yourself as a role model. Even if he never gave back to that community they would see him as someone to look up to and he has been sending the wrong message. There is a time and place to fight the power, but there is also a fashion in which you fight it. He just simply went about it the wrong way, not saying his cause is wrong.

IDK if I agree with Foote on this one. Saying F the authority would be the case if he wasn't paying the fines, or if he didn't talk to the media at all. The "authority" is the NFL, not the media.

I think ultimately if anything should be taken out of what Lynch does is, do what you want, but be ready for the consequences.

Anyway, parents should be the ones getting an earful for allowing guys who can't even make accurate sentences to be role models for their kids.

IDK if I agree with Foote on this one. Saying F the authority would be the case if he wasn't paying the fines, or if he didn't talk to the media at all. The "authority" is the NFL, not the media.

I think ultimately if anything should be taken out of what Lynch does is, do what you want, but be ready for the consequences.

Anyway, parents should be the ones getting an earful for allowing guys who can't even make accurate sentences to be role models for their kids.

Yeah it would be nice if every single parent in the world was doing what they are supposed to, but these broken communities are results of people without parenting or direction. Entertainers and Athletes should be a part of raising kids, but in this world we live in today it happens.

And while Lynch isn't rebelling. He is playing the rules against his employers. Everyone that works a regular 9-5 would never try to step anywhere close out of line like this. Again there is a right way to demand rights in a high profile job like his especially when you have a union.

Getting fined by the NFL wouldn't happen that consistently if he wasn't rebelling. The guy can never actually wear what he is supposed to , either. Whether it's his own brand clothing, or trying to wear illegal cleats. The NFL had to threaten to throw him out of the game before he wore the correct cleats.

Ya, we could argue about how dumb / stupid it is to have certain cleats you have to wear, but rules are rules. He is definitely the 'rebel' type. I am not sure if I go completely as far as Foote does... but I think the basic premise of his statement(s) are accurate.

Marshawn Lynch is not out there raping, abusing his loved ones, dealing or using drugs, getting DUIs, etc. He is not a problem as a role model for children.

Time to focus on dudes who actually do illegal things. Marshawn Lynch is the NFL's scapegoat. They treat him worse than they do guys who actually break the law.

It's the NFL that needs to be straightened out, not Marshawn Lynch.

• Upvote 1

Those other cases have absolutely nothing to do Marshawn Lynch. You don't choose to punish or not punish a player who is breaking the rules simply because there are other players out there with more egregious offenses. That's not how it works at any level of society.

Those other cases have absolutely nothing to do Marshawn Lynch. You don't choose to punish or not punish a player who is breaking the rules simply because there are other players out there with more egregious offenses. That's not how it works at any level of society.

You can choose to punish players who break real rules much more severely. Marshawn Lynch should never have even sniffed a 100K fine.

Ray Rice is out of the league (for now at least)... Missed out on a year of work and millions in future contracts, if he gets one at all. Adrian Peterson lost a year of his HoF (maybe?) career, and a stunning reputation FOREVER damaged. Josh Gordon received a year long suspension for drinking after the regular season when the NFL told him he couldn't drink until the regular season was over. Greg Hardy lost a year and maybe more of his career before there was even a trial for the mere suspicion of wrong doing.

Yes, I realize the struggles and lack of control shown by the NFL to get to this point in their punishments... But what Marshawn Lynch has or is facing is nowhere near on the level of anything the rapists, drugees, or abusers you mentioned have received as punishment.

I am not arguing that he should, by the way. Of course he shouldn't be punished on that level... Nor am I trying to get you to sympathize with the first group of players or others like them. Not the point.

Edited by Favre4Ever

I have no problem with Lynch and his "antics" as everyone calls them. Who cares? The media goes out to question players, and more often than not they take shit and spin it in a completely different direction. If he doesn't want to talk to the media so be it, whether it's because he is socially incapable of having a solid interview, or because he's building his image as a guy who is "against the man".

If it's the later, he's a genius.

Know why else I have no issue with Lynch? The guy is clearly an absolute godsend to a whole hell of a lot of kids in the Oakland area. Running food drives, getting kids outside and exercising, teaching kids how to portray themselves, be themselves, and get through life. No matter what type of spin the media and people put on Lynch, his legacy will go way past football. The guy is basically the king of where he came from. He needs to just keep doing what he's doing. All about that action, boss.

Marshawn Lynch is a marketing genius.

The man who utters as few words as possible to the media is able to turn those scant phrases into dollars with ease.

After his famous "I'm just here so I won't get fined" line went viral during Super Bowl media day, the Seattle Seahawks' power back and his people are attempting to trademark the phrase with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, The Seattle Times first reported.

"We heard from our fans and so many of them were saying that they wanted that phrase on the clothing," Chris Bevans, who runs Lynch's "Beast Mode" apparel line, told ESPN.com. "This is just listening to the marketplace."

Listening and making money off it, to be correct.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000473718/article/marshawn-lynch-applies-for-im-just-here-trademark?campaign=Facebook_atn_patra

Edited by Favre4Ever