BLUE

Eagles sign Frank Gore

Doesn't the Colts OL suck?

If the Eagles go out and sign DeMarco Murray they'll look like geniuses.

If the Eagles go out and sign DeMarco Murray they'll look like geniuses.

depends on how much he gets, getting rid of one RB because he makes too much just to pay another one too much doesn't sound genius to me

Murray doesn't really fit what Chip Kelly is doing on offense anyway. You are getting rid of really talented guys because Kelly thinks he can plug and play anyone in his offense. Going out and signing the most talented and more than likely most expensive RB makes literally 0 sense. I mean, I like Murray if he can stay healthy... But it would completely undermine everything Kelly has done so far on offense.

If he was interested in a guy like Frank Gore... Older workhorse, I would think the Eagles are more in the market for the likes of a Steven Jackson.

Edited by Favre4Ever

One of the main reasons Chip got rid of McCoy was because of that $12 mil cap hit. I think it came down to financial reasons more than anything. Not only that, I don't think Chip was fond of McCoy's running style; dancing scat back. From the outside, it may seem ridiculous to everyone seeing as though McCoy has been productive. However, what we do know is that last year despite being 3rd in rushing, he took a step back. Not only in elusiveness and play making ability, but his decision making as well. McCoy rarely runs up the middle unless it's a "gaping" hole. Even then, he would make suspect decisions when there was a play to be made up the middle.

Despite our o-line troubles, there were many opportunities for McCoy to make plays and gain yards. However, McCoy was inclined to always bounce outside and dance instead of taking the hole right in front of him. He did this at an alarming rate throughout the entire season which is why I ranked him much lower in my top 10 RB post.

Here are some examples:

X1Tujwp.png

cNInWzZ.png

7Hbr8rV.png

Granted here, the Colts D-lineman is starting to get some penetration but those are 2-3 yards possibly gained on 1st down.

FlbFaFP.png

However, he dances and stretches the play outside when the play was designed to run through the B gap. Gardner is expecting McCoy to go through the B gap but now he has to hold his block even longer.

GHVBWp7.png

Plays like these had to drive Chip crazy which is evidence throughout the season why McCoy was benched in particular situations.

Here's more examples:

GRZW9FO.png

I think anyone here at TGP can run through that lane.

IqfmQN7.png

And we would have gained even more confidence after this happened.

NhQLjx6.png

:slingblade:

iZtwfnb.png

Unblocked defender here which is Ryan Kerrigan. Foles sees it.

j2mIq4N.png

Read option and he hands it to McCoy. You see a nice lane open up.

iF7cfPY.png

Instead of going between the tackles through the nicely developed lane, McCoy cuts back and bounces outside right into Ryan Kerrigan. I'm not sure if it's a vision problem or just bad decision making but it's been so apparent that this instinct to bounce outside is bred within him. He doesn't like running through the middle even in a perfectly designed play. Again, can only imagine how this drove Chip crazy getting a sense of how Chip wants his offense to be run...

These were the type of plays that he has done throughout his tenure here. However, it wasn't as profound like it was last year and he would make you forget about those plays with other amazing plays. The thing is though, Shady didn't create those amazing plays last year to tip the balance in his favor. His elusiveness wasn't as good as the year before. He wasn't as quick as the year before. His yards after contact plummeted which indicates your play making ability. Shady just seemed a half a second to slow with his moves which is all it takes to get caught. Maybe it was the 314 carries the year before. That's a heavy workload. He also got another 312 carries this year.

So the way I see it, Chip got rid of him a year early while his market value was still high rather than a year late. When you consider his $12 mil cap hit, improvisational decisions contrasting play designs while not balancing the scale with his usual slash and dash game play, his slightly subtle but apparent loss (at least to Eagles fans who watch him week in and week out) in play making ability, his age and overly high work load, I don't think it was a bad move. Just a surprise move.

Edited by Dutch

Schefter said the Colts originally came at Gore hard... Philly came in later and offered more money. Gore 'accepted', but later broke down and said it just didn't 'feel right' and he wasn't meant to go to sign there.

I can respect his decision. After all, this is a career decision so it's best to make sure it's what you want to do. I still hope that we some how get Gore. Despite his age, I think he still has something to offer in a semi load role. If I were Gore, I'd pick the Colts too probably because they have stability at the QB position and they will pass more which would keep me a little more fresh at 32.

If the Eagles don't land Gore, we have a nice hole at the RB position. Murray has been mentioned but I don't really want the Eagles to pursue him. Honestly, I don't want a high profile RB that would be costly unless it's a move for Adrian Peterson. I wouldn't be mad if the Eagles got him but I'd rather them spend money on another position. I'd prefer a Ryan Matthews or Stevan Ridley. Granted, both of these RBs come with their fair share of problems but their price tag won't be high.

Ridley has some fumbling issues but I think he's a pretty solid runner. Matthews is extremely fragile but he's a solid runner as well. At this point outside of Sproles and Polk, our 3rd option is either going to be Gore/Free Agent/rookie. But I really want Gore lol.

I sure am glad he signed with the Colts. It looks like they're improving the O line and with a WR corps of Hilton, Moncrief, Duron Carter, hopefully Andre Johnson and 1 other to the mix it should be an offense to be reckoned with.

large.gif

LOL, Now, that's not nice !! :tease: Looks like the whole division is getting better.

Edited by FL Colt Fan