Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

Another Reason Mark Cuban is Great for Basketball

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/12650607/dallas-mavericks-owner-mark-cuban-says-horrible-state-college-basketball-hurting-nba

There are so many problems with NCAA Men's, and yet Mark Cuban can sum it up in a handful of words.

When men's college ball gets better, we can trace it back to this.

The pace doesn't bother me, and the reffing doesn't generally bother me either, but in short spurts. I think the main problem is too many players have the offensive game of a gnat. There's absolutely no reason that any player in major college basketball shouldn't be able to put the ball in the basket on a regular basis, but I'd argue that at any time in a college game, 6 out of 10 players can't hit the broad side of a barn. That's a major problem.

Edited by BwareDWare94

Refs are an issue but the style of play is not. You can only do so much, because at the end of the day some college kid isn't as likely to hit a jumper as an NBA star is.

The shot clock obviously needs to be adjusted, but the biggest problem is the one-and-done which the NBA is responsible for. The one-and-done has been killing college basketball and has done a huge disservice to the NBA. When the NBA fixes their draft eligibility rules, college basketball will get better and the NBA won't be as dog shit as it currently is.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, the shot clock is crazy. I heard somewhere that NCAA Men is the only league that uses anything more than I think a 28 second clock, might have been 30, either way it's a huge difference from 35. They used a 30 second clock in the NIT, has anyone done any scoring or other analysis of those games and what the shorter clock did to the games? I don't think that'll be a perfect simulation because it's still a pretty small sample and nobody really had time to prepare for it, but I think it'd be interesting.

Edited by oochymp

@SteVo--You make a point but a kid playing college basketball shouldn't be hard pressed to make a jump shot.

That's my opinion, anyway. It's basic basketball fundamentals that these kids don't have because of things like AAU basketball that focus almost exclusively on athleticism. That's all find and good, but the devolution of skilled basketball is easily traceable to the United States.

Edited by BwareDWare94

The NBA isn't dog shit. The level of defense is incredible and the truly skilled players are all there. There's so few, unfortunately, so that you've still got the exclusively athletic freaks like DeAndre or, to cite a lesser but still freakishly athletic player, Bismack Biyombo, who wouldn't even be in the NBA if they weren't trees.

The biggest problem is AAU basketball and other offseason programs that don't put any emphasis on the development of skills.

Exactly, college basketball is all about finding the raw athletic prospects. But that is because there isn't time to develop skills when its a one and done program. You have players like Okafor that just rely on their size to bully the defender around than actual skills, which end up with a lot of these players struggling in the NBA.

Exactly, college basketball is all about finding the raw athletic prospects. But that is because there isn't time to develop skills when its a one and done program. You have players like Okafor that just rely on their size to bully the defender around than actual skills, which end up with a lot of these players struggling in the NBA.

Have you actually watched Okafor play this year? He doesn't just rely on his size to bully defenders; if anything Okafor is too soft for his size. He has amazing footwork for a big guy. Watch some tape or some more games before making outlandish statements about a dude JUST using his size to bully a defender when that couldn't be farther from the truth.

IDK why the shot clock is more then 24 seconds long. These are supposed to be semi-pro athletes, and you got coaches on the sideline playing keep-away and micromanaging every single dribble. Granted, the amount of close games and parity in the sport would get affected.

There are a lot of things wrong with college basketball, but the majority of it would be slashed if the shot clock was shorter because at the very least the players/coaches would have to do more then:

pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, shoot contested shot, miss, or turnover.

Or, pass a million times, someone gets fouled, shot clock reset, same steps.

As far as the whole AAU/skills thing, its more then just an AAU problem. It's a problem of having no kinda structure to raise the kids up. AAU is no different then the Nike, Adidas, etc, leagues. There's no structure, youth basketball is a joke, and the coaches coaching them are jokes. If the NBA and the NCAA would come together and get their shit together, things would probably a lot different. But IDT that's anywhere near as big a problem as the booboo college game rules and regulations.

• Upvote 1

What's funny is that Okafor is considered a more finished post player than most. It is mostly size. There's no guarantee that'll translate to the next level. I think Karl-Anthony Towns is much more pro-ready with his excellent footwork.

These are supposed to be semi-pro athletes

The NCAA would disagree
  • Upvote 1

The shot clock obviously needs to be adjusted, but the biggest problem is the one-and-done which the NBA is responsible for. The one-and-done has been killing college basketball and has done a huge disservice to the NBA. When the NBA fixes their draft eligibility rules, college basketball will get better and the NBA won't be as dog shit as it currently is.

What should the eligibility rules be?

@SteVo--You make a point but a kid playing college basketball shouldn't be hard pressed to make a jump shot.

When did I enter the discussion before this post? Bware pls.

I get what you're saying D-Mac but technically these are not semi-pro players. So to think they ALL should be playing like professionals is ridiculous. There's what...350-400 NBA players? There's somewhere between 3,500-4,000 college basketball players.

The name of the game is micro-managing because the thought is that it would help the players with setting up plays and understanding fundamentals better and that is where the 35-second shot clock is in place. I disagree with it completely. It should go down to 30 AT LEAST.

I like college more than the NBA mostly because of passion, not skill. College crowds are so much more into it than most NBA crowds. In college you root for the school. In the NBA a lot of fans just root for the player. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but there's a consistency in college that draws me more to the game than the NBA (coming from someone who is a fan of both).

Edited by JetsFan4Life
  • Upvote 1

Have you actually watched Okafor play this year? He doesn't just rely on his size to bully defenders; if anything Okafor is too soft for his size. He has amazing footwork for a big guy. Watch some tape or some more games before making outlandish statements about a dude JUST using his size to bully a defender when that couldn't be farther from the truth.

Yes I have and I'm not impressed. Does he have potential? Yes but any big man with good footwork and postplay will cause him trouble.

And you have to root for the school in college cause players come, play a year, and leave. Look at Kentucky, 7 players just declared. It's a pathetic system.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

The NCAA would disagree

Ha, fair enough. Lol.

What should the eligibility rules be?

I'm not Phil, but I feel like the eligibility rules should stay the same.

Instead, give teams a certain amount of roster spots in D-League for these guys who are coming out of high school and don't wanna play college ball. That way it eliminates the need for them to go to school for a year and dip out. I don't really know all the ins and outs of all that, but it's 2:30 am and I'm just pitching ideas. Lol.

Ha, fair enough. Lol.

I'm not Phil, but I feel like the eligibility rules should stay the same.

Instead, give teams a certain amount of roster spots in D-League for these guys who are coming out of high school and don't wanna play college ball. That way it eliminates the need for them to go to school for a year and dip out. I don't really know all the ins and outs of all that, but it's 2:30 am and I'm just pitching ideas. Lol.

I'd love to see the D-League get bigger. I've been saying for a while now that the D-League should offer all of the top 50 high school recruits a standard one-year entry level deal. I'm not sure how much money that would be, but it'd be interesting to see how many took it. The problem with the D-League is it's so hard to build a fan base, especially compared to colleges that have a built in fan base of alumni and students. That said, the NBA could easily subsidize a move like this for the D-League and I wouldn't be surprised if some D-League teams did start to build strong local support if they actually started to get good players. Nothing to the level of the NCAA, obviously, but plenty of minor league baseball teams have strong local support and if you could funnel the one-and-dones into the D-League they'd have a lot more talent than most minor league baseball teams.

@Cherry--what I said after @SteVo.

Goddamn Mel Kiper avs. I should have known it wasn't Steven when I didn't see bouncing glory.

@Ricky (the quote function won't work on my farm computer)--it's not about passion for us. It's about quality of basketball, and the NBA is so far ahead of anything else in America that it's not even funny.

• Upvote 1

@Cherry--what I said after @SteVo.

Goddamn Mel Kiper avs. I should have known it wasn't Steven when I didn't see bouncing glory.

@Ricky (the quote function won't work on my farm computer)--it's not about passion for us. It's about quality of basketball, and the NBA is so far ahead of anything else in America that it's not even funny.

In what world should the professionals not be playing better basketball than the amateurs?

In no world, obviously, but the difference is so drastic at this point that it's absurd.

Only a handful of people can be the best in the world at what they do...

• Upvote 2

Just letting you guys know, high schoolers can go straight to the d-league. They just don't want to because it's like 20k and playing in empty arenas in small towns.

Only a handful of people can be the best in the world at what they do...

And historically, this is my problem with the NBA. It's such a superstar driven league that there is usually little to no parity and for me it just gets boring. This has been better in the past two years, especially this year. Not to mention, the bottom of the league is atrocious.

For my views on the college game, I agree to a certain extent. Quality isn't as good but I still find the games entertaining. :shrug: I basically second what JF4L has said thus far. And I have always just had more invested in the college game when it comes to rooting interests. And I always like watching the young prospects before they reach the NBA.

I generally agree that the state of college basketball is in the the toilet. I think most people would. However... How do we justify that perspective with the ratings and money the NCAA is pulling in. I mean... It's ridiculous how such a poor product can have such a huge return.