Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

The Baltimore Riots

I've seen a lot of horrible, racist stuff said about this (not here) and my one point I want to make is this:

Only one side of this has killed anyone, and it's not the protesters.

Ya. I saw a tweet the other day that was something along the lines of, " See all this outrage over broken STUFF, if only there was same outrage for broken LIVES ."

Which I totally get and understand. However, what does rioting change? Does it help to promote and affirm certain stereotypes? Does looting innocent business owners serve justice to the life(ves) lost? Even though they are on different degrees of severity, creating dozens of victims isn't really a solution, in my mind.

The world needs light, and submitting to the darkness doesn't achieve that.

Tough to acknowledge the real peaceful protestors when we have a bunch of fucking idiots burning and stealing shit.

Also maybe I'm just ignorant, but did any of you know about this story before the protests became violent?

Also maybe I'm just ignorant, but did any of you know about this story before the protests became violent?

I did yes.

The guy who cut the firefighter's hose while they were trying to save a small business owner's store is just scum.

Most of these people are just scum. This is not the answer.

Martin Luther King wouldn't think this was the answer either, for what its worth. You are doing nothing but hurting your own cause.

Ray Lewis is a rich guy in a big house, who probably hasn't felt any real struggle in a long time. It's easy to call for peace and talk about it when you're in his position.

I don't advocate violence, ever. But this was inevitable. Everybody loves to say, this isn't right, this isn't the way, but then what is?

By taking the MLk route. Burning shit and damaging businesses doesn't help.

Edited by Chernobyl426

This subject has been debated for centuries. And will continue to be debated. I can give you examples in the history of both America, and the rest of the world. where the opposite of that has been the case.

On the subject of MLK:

"I will agree that there is a group in the Negro community advocating violence now. I happen to feel that this group represents a numerical minority. Surveys have revealed this. The vast majority of Negroes still feel that the best way to deal with the dilemma that we face in this country is through non-violent resistance, and I don't think this vocal group will be able to make a real dent in the Negro community in terms of swaying 22 million Negroes to this particular point of view. And I contend that the cry of "black power" is, at bottom, a reaction to the reluctance of white power to make the kind of changes necessary to make justice a reality for the Negro. I think that we've got to see that a riot is the language of the unheard. And, what is it that America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the economic plight of the Negro poor has worsened over the last few years." - MLK

"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - MLK

The subject of MLK, and the whole Civil Rights movement is an extremely complicated subject that often gets simplified. Peaceful walks weren't the only tactic that made a difference, and MLK himself became a martyr while practicing his ideals.

This subject has been debated for centuries. And will continue to be debated. I can give you examples in the history of both America, and the rest of the world. where the opposite of that has been the case.

On the subject of MLK:

The subject of MLK, and the whole Civil Rights movement is an extremely complicated subject that often gets simplified. Peaceful walks weren't the only tactic that made a difference, and MLK himself became a martyr while practicing his ideals.

Okay. So a riot is the voice of the unheard? And? It's not necessarily helping their case to damage local shops and just act irrational. Edited by Chernobyl426

Okay. So a riot is the voice of the unheard? And? It's not necessarily helping their case to damage local shops and just act irrational.

Does every action you commit when you're mad, or frustrated rational?

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

But there's a big difference between being mad and throwing shit in comparison to stealing everything out of a store and burning it down.

It's not rational and we soon realize that those irrational actions changed nothing about our situation or made our lives better in any way. You know what these riots are really doing? Confirming the stereotypes for all the racist bigots in Baltimore (and elsewhere). This not only doesn't solve anything, but it's a major step backwards, IMO.

Guest Phailadelphia

The "MLK route" only worked because there was an imminent threat of violence standing quietly behind peaceful protest

Violence has a better track record of achieving change.

Edited by Phailadelphia

Guest Phailadelphia

From the great Roger Ebert in his review of Do the Right Thing, this seems relevant:CDtKOpVWMAI3gyv.png

Like I said in my rephrasing of the tweet above... I think people realize and understand they are two very different things. Human life is sacred, and it being taken away by someone or a group of people in a position of power is uncalled for. Whether you are white, black, blue, or green, that stuff shouldn't happen.

But why do we allow that pizzeria owner to become a victim now as well (again, yes, I understand not to the same ends as the young man who lost his life). When has fighting injustice by serving more injustice to innocent people ever changed anything?

The time I can recall is maybe the food riots back during the Great Depression which helped lead to the signing of the New Deal. It's a discussion for another time, but I could argue the New Deal wasn't such a great thing anyway.. So, I don't know if I would even want to include that example, lol.

There is a HUGE difference between a real movement for change and violent unrest. I think this falls under the latter, unfortunately.

Peaceful protesters are human beings. Violent rioters are animals.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/04/28/immediate-lawless-violent-judge-napolitano-explains-when-free-speech-prosecutable

I know it's FOX, but Judge Napolitano is awesome. Give the video a watch at the very least. Can't agree more with what he has to say on the riots in regard to the Constitution and the failure of everyone involved to keep this entire situation maintained.

One interesting thing I read is a big difference between MLK's time and now. Back then, the racist rules were official laws, now it's just in actions. It is a lot easier to protest when you have a specific change you want done. No one could put their head in the sand and say that black and white people were treated equal in the 50s. Now, since they legally have the same rights, they have to try to change unofficial systemic biases, which is much harder.

• Upvote 2

But there's a big difference between being mad and throwing shit in comparison to stealing everything out of a store and burning it down.

This has nothing to do with looting. There are looters who don't care for the actual issue in every riot, of every kind.

It's not rational and we soon realize that those irrational actions changed nothing about our situation or made our lives better in any way. You know what these riots are really doing? Confirming the stereotypes for all the racist bigots in Baltimore (and elsewhere). This not only doesn't solve anything, but it's a major step backwards, IMO.

Again, how can this honestly be said when there is a history of riots around the world that proves the opposite?

The fact that the riots just confirm stereotypes to certain people, shows the reason why they are bigots to begin with.

Peaceful protesters are human beings. Violent rioters are animals.

Or, they are just people who are fed up, with their protesting seemingly always falling on deaf ears.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

Again, how can this honestly be said when there is a history of riots around the world that proves the opposite?

The fact that the riots just confirm stereotypes to certain people, shows the reason why they are bigots to begin with.

By looking at the events, comparing them, and realizing they have very little in common. LA broke out in riots over a similar incident back in the 90s and Rodney King... It's 25 years later and still happening. Thank goodness another 52 people had to die and over a billion dollars worth of damage done. Totally worth it.

At least back then the riots came AFTER the evidence was known.. AFTER charges were made.. AFTER a ridiculous verdict. Nobody knows anything in Baltimore right now... If those officers end up getting charged (not because of the riots, but because of their alleged crimes) and found guilty... these rioters are going to look so incredibly stupid. As if they don't already.

• Upvote 1