Sarge

Favorite Alcoholic Drinks

I'm not sure about where you live/where this can be found because they were making it sound like something rare, but, here in Ann Arbor (U of M) there's a place where they serve a German (I think) beer called "Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen".

Not sure wth that means, but they recommended it for anyone willing to try new things. I barely remember the night, but I do remember that because they taught me how to say it... Smelled like smoked meat.

When you taste it the caramel, smoke, and whatever it is that makes dark beer taste like dark beer, is the first thing that hits you. Then the taste of smoked bacon smacks you and your tastebuds off your feet leaving you paralyzed and dead, and leaving your breath smelling like everyone you know is burning in hell.

Everyone else loved it but for me drinking the full bottle was the biggest mistake of my life. Guess I found something that does not go good with bacon. :nope:

Thanks for the recommendation. That sounds really interesting. I'll have to see if I can find it in the Houston area.

You have to try, really anything, from Warsteiner. Nice mid-level stuff which most people have tried, I think.

Starompramen is a nice Czech lager to try if you haven't yet.

I work in a German restaurant... Dmac speaks truth. I don't drink dark beers, really. But this stuff is dark, smoky, and fairly light (for a dark beer, anyway, I guess more medium body). Tons of smokey, caramely flavors going on.

And Ayinger's Doppelbock is a must try if you like testing out different beers.... It's also a dark beer, but Ayinger makes a nice, strong beer without an overpowering kind of taste which is a must for lame-o's like me. :D

Also, if you really want to kind of go off the handle... Go out and find some Blueberry or Cherry Stout. In my opinion, the stuff is totally disgusting... But I love trying new things, especially alcohol.

I'm writing all of these down. I'll definitely have to do my research and see if I can find 'em.

Magic Hat Elderberry is my favorite beer, but I think it's only for sale in summer.

Duly noted.

You ever try a milk stout? They're pretty good and a little different. Duck Rabbit Brewing and Left Hand Brewing both have pretty good ones.

Never heard of a milk stout, but that definitely has piqued my interest.

had some of this for gameday

Creamy%20Dark.JPG

faaaaantastic

I've had a Leinenkugel amber before. It was a while back, but I definitely enjoyed it.

Depending on where you live and if you can get it, Odell's brewing company has a really good porter called Cutthroat porter. As GA mentioned earlier, Left Hand Brewing is a really good brewery as well. I would say Left Hand is my favorite brewery.

There are a lot of local microbreweries around me, so I usually buy a lot of the local beer. New Belgium is a big brewing company that I always enjoy and have gone through their brewer a few times and have a growler from.

Awesome thanks everybody for the recommendations. I'm definitely going to see if I can get my hands on these. I'll let you know what I think of 'em.

Anyone try the Hot Toddy yet? If so, how did you like it?

Sam Adams, Killian's, Yeungling, Heineken, pretty much all that I drink.

My liquor drinking days are behind me. I pretty much just stick to beer 99% of the time. My current beer of choice is the Breckenridge Vanilla Porter.

A good friend of mine who lives in CO works at Breckenridge Brewery, works in the back during the day and at their bar (which I've heard is pretty badass) during the night. I've been trying to get him to send me sampler cases for ages. Apparently you can't mail alcohol.

So, I hate hate hate stouts. I think they're disgusting. But I just had this limited release Dogfishhead beer called "Miles Davis' Bitches Brew" I guess in celebration of the Bitches Brew album. It's so freakin amazing. It's definitely a sipping beer, but it's cool because as you drink it it goes from like berry and honey tones (odd in a stout) to more chocolatey flavors. The head is dark brown, which also caught me off guard.

2012-10-22+19.05.44.jpg

7537_627486660651997_139580617_n.jpg

Saw this and thought it would fit in. Mine is Multi-colored Vomit. lol

Screaming Orgasm. I looked it up and it looks good, but apparently needs expensive vodka in order to work so I probably won't try one.

• Upvote 1

My liquor drinking days are behind me. I pretty much just stick to beer 99% of the time. My current beer of choice is the Breckenridge Vanilla Porter.

A good friend of mine who lives in CO works at Breckenridge Brewery, works in the back during the day and at their bar (which I've heard is pretty badass) during the night. I've been trying to get him to send me sampler cases for ages. Apparently you can't mail alcohol.

So, I hate hate hate stouts. I think they're disgusting. But I just had this limited release Dogfishhead beer called "Miles Davis' Bitches Brew" I guess in celebration of the Bitches Brew album. It's so freakin amazing. It's definitely a sipping beer, but it's cool because as you drink it it goes from like berry and honey tones (odd in a stout) to more chocolatey flavors. The head is dark brown, which also caught me off guard.

2012-10-22+19.05.44.jpg

I've been to Breckenridge Brewery and it is good but not quite as good as the Northern Colorado breweries such as New Belgium, Odell, and Left Hand in my opinion.

I love Breckenridge Amber, but it's got to come out of the tap. It's awful out of the bottle, like many craft beers.

Irish Car Bombs are a fun shot. Well, not technically a shot, I suppose, but you down it like one.

Shot of Jameson

Guinness

--These two in a regular drink glass

Drop a shot of Bailey's down in it (still in the little shot glass) and down the drink before the Bailey's curdles.

Tastes like iced coffee. Expensive, but a fun shot, nonetheless.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1/7537_627486660651997_139580617_n.jpg

Nuclear Mouthwash. Sounds awesome, but it doesn't exist. Maybe I'll be a real badass and put some uranium in my Listerine.

Irish Car Bombs are a fun shot. Well, not technically a shot, I suppose, but you down it like one.

Shot of Jameson

Guinness

--These two in a regular drink glass

Drop a shot of Bailey's down in it (still in the little shot glass) and down the drink before the Bailey's curdles.

Tastes like iced coffee. Expensive, but a fun shot, nonetheless.

These are amazing, but fucking dangerous, lol. They get you FUCKED UP, but they take a while to hit. A couple St. Patrick's Days ago I had probably 12 of them over the course of a couple hours and woke up at home with gravel and glass in my arm after apparently having walked a few miles to get home without remembering.

No idea how I didn't have alcohol poisoning, but I didn't vomit at all at any point (my girlfriend was with me and only remembered parts of the night because she did puke a bunch).

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

Warning about Irish Car Bombs. Apparently ordering one in Ireland is a good way to get everyone to hate you.

Yea, I imagine it would be just like going to Buffalo and ordering Buffalo Wings. I wouldn't do that there. I would just say "wings."

No, it's more like going to NYC and ordering a 9/11

• Upvote 1

7537_627486660651997_139580617_n.jpg

"Dribbling Orgasm" Don't know if it's a real drink. The google search certainly had interesting results...

I've been to Breckenridge Brewery and it is good but not quite as good as the Northern Colorado breweries such as New Belgium, Odell, and Left Hand in my opinion.

I've been told New Belgium in Fort Collins is quite awesome. Hope I can get out there and visit all the breweries someday.

I've had a couple of New Belgium Beers. The Hoptober or whatever their fall season is called isn't bad, but I've never liked Fat Tire. To me, it tastes like dirty water.

Fat Tire is alright but where New Belgium excels is their Lips of Faith series, which is only sold in a bomber or at their brewery. Their sour beers La Folie and Le Terroir are really good but go for around $18 for a bomber.

Currently on this as of late...

Product%20-%20St%20Bernardus%20Abt%2012.

St. Bernardus Abt 12

My gawd is it good. Currently my favorite beer. :yep:

A new craft beer shop open up near me recently. It's like a toy store, but for men.

:welp: merged

------------------

I had Red Hook ESP original ale this weekend. I really liked this beer, it was more hops than your regular light beer or anything, but not as bitter or strong as an IPA. I had a 6pk of the Red Hook and a 6pk of Coors so the taste difference was very apparent.

I think it is known for being in beer batter for fish lol.

Edited by butta55

I'm all about IPAs these days. Ballast Point's Sculpin is my absolute favorite beer.

beers-sculpin-primary-image.png

If any of y'all ever need recommendations or anything, or just want to try new beers, feel free to ask me. I'm not ashamed to admit that I've become a bit of a beer snob lately.

• Upvote 1

said that TGP is full of alcoholics

Alcohol enthusiasts*

Fart, butta, or anyone else...

Do you guys recognize anything from this list I could try? We don't have a great beer scene where I live, unfortunately...

http://www.beerbellysbeverage.com/vault.shtml click the micros link.

Edited by Sarge

Do you guys recognize anything from this list I could try? We don't have a great beer scene where I live, unfortunately...

First what type of beer do you like?

Almost everything I seen in the import menu is pretty common to most beer drinkers tho...

Yea that's why I was looking at the micros link. I've never really tried any of that stuff, so I don't know where to start.

Dogfish Head is out of Indiana around here. Very very popular beer. The 60 & 90min are very strong IPAs and very bitter.

(EDIT: As oochy said it is from Delaware. Always get it confused with Gumball)

Goose Island and Great Lakes are from Chicago. 312 Wheat Ale is a very smooth beer. Much like the Red Hook I had it is not as bitter and strong as a regular IPA but heavier than a lot beer with more hops. Was my favorite beer for a year or two. Probably the best starter.

Great Lakes Elliot Ness is the most popular of the group. I haven't had it though.

Dundee IPA is a really good pale ale that isn't too strong.

Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin Ale is a good one too if you feel like stepping out the box.

Edited by butta55
  • Upvote 2

I recognize a lot of the breweries on there,

Dogfish Head is good, their IPAs are really hoppy if that's what you're into, I think they're based in Maryland (EDIT: seeing Butta's post I looked it up, they're in Delaware)

Goose Island is a solid microbrew, I think they've been bought out by one of the big companies but they're still good, based out of Chicago

the Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale is awesome if you're a bourbon guy

Sierra Nevada also makes great beer, their pale ale is one of my go-tos, they're based in California and have a new brewery in North Carolina

Stone is also amazing, they're also in California and they're going to be building a brewery in Richmond (can't wait)

Victory is another solid brewery, I've had the Golden Monkey and was impressed

and Shiner Bock is actually one of my favorite beers, they're based in Texas and usually a bit cheaper than most microbrews, but just as good

Edited by oochymp
  • Upvote 2