FartWaffles

Hoyer named starter over Mallett

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5463/brian-hoyer

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Texans have named Brian Hoyer as their starting quarterback.

Coach Bill O'Brien declined to name a starter on Sunday, saying he did not have a timetable for a decision. As it turns out, NFL coaches lie. Hoyer has completed 9-of-15 passes for 119 yards and a touchdown this preseason, though most of that yardage came on one big play to Cecil Shorts in the opening game. His play has been shaky, but Ryan Mallett did nothing to apply pressure in the battle. Hoyer will open the season as the starter, but it would not be shocking if Mallett sees starts this year as well.

Hoyer the Destroyer time... :yao:

The right choice was made.

That's the problem.

Any time Hoyer is the right choice, your team is in a terrible predicament.

wait, there was a right choice to make?

If Brian Hoyer is wrong, I don't want to be right.

:mjtears:

Guess Mallet didn't step his game up from being behind Tom Brady.

Coming out of college he had a big arm but that was it.

Hoyer would give them the best chance to win. But not to the playoffs.

Zach Mettenberger is available for a 1st and JJ Watt. :kobe:

hell, I'd deal him for Watt straight up, no need to get greedy :p

Edited by oochymp

This is fucking dumb. Mallet is better, and has a much higher ceiling. Brian Hoyer is a joke.

I would say I'm excited, but I don't want to get attacked for it.....

This is fucking dumb. Mallet is better, and has a much higher ceiling.

What good is having a higher ceiling, if the player will never reach it? Mallett is the definition of inconsistency.

It's not that Hoyer is so much better than Mallett, but that Hoyer is more dependable to not make the head-scratching mistakes that ends up putting the offense behind schedule. O'Brien simply trusts Hoyer more to run the offense.

Scott Tolzein is available. Just letting you Texans know. ;)

They shoulda just kept Fitz if they were gonna chose between all these bad choices. Lol.

Last year if you watched the offense when Fitz was under center compared to Mallett, you could tell that the offense ran a lot smoother and quicker when Mallett was the starter.

I don't know if another year in the system would've benefited Fitz or not, but everyone covering the Texans in training camp has said that the offense looks night and day better than what it looked like last year with Fitz.

What good is having a higher ceiling, if the player will never reach it? Mallett is the definition of inconsistency.

It's not that Hoyer is so much better than Mallett, but that Hoyer is more dependable to not make the head-scratching mistakes that ends up putting the offense behind schedule. O'Brien simply trusts Hoyer more to run the offense.

Which is trusting in mediocrity as opposed to believing you and your offensive coaches can take a big-armed, prototypical quarterback and turn him into a quality NFL starter. This is coaching cowardice on the Texans' part, imo. Their jobs aren't on the line yet. Play the guy who has a chance to lead you to 10 or more wins if he proves himself, not the guy who you'll be lucky to sniff .500 with.

Which is trusting in mediocrity as opposed to believing you and your offensive coaches can take a big-armed, prototypical quarterback and turn him into a quality NFL starter. This is coaching cowardice on the Texans' part, imo. Their jobs aren't on the line yet. Play the guy who has a chance to lead you to 10 or more wins if he proves himself, not the guy who you'll be lucky to sniff .500 with.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but I guess as a Texans fan I just have to sit back and trust the decision that O'Brien has made.

Most Texans fans (myself included) wanted Mallett to be named the starter. The one thing that bothered me about Mallett though, was during this preseason he was clearly playing scared to make any mistakes and that "big-armed" quarterback might as well have been popgun Matt Schaub doing his best Captain Checkdown impression.

You can say whatever you want about Mallett's ceiling, but you can't argue that he was outplayed by Hoyer this training camp.

• Upvote 1

playing the safe option when your team is very solid everywhere else isn't a bad option, I mean hell, if Trent Dilfer could win a Super Bowl why can't Hoyer at least get the Texans into the playoffs?

Am I alone in thinking Tom Savage could be an effective starter?

Am I alone in thinking Tom Savage could be an effective starter?

Yes

The Texans will start Ryan Mallett at quarterback Week 2 against the Panthers.

This news comes just minutes after both Texans beat writers, John McClain and Tania Ganguli, reported they would be "shocked" if Brian Hoyer didn't get the start against Carolina. Neither is much of an upgrade on the other. Mallett replaced a benched Hoyer midway through the fourth quarter of Week 1 and went 8-of-14 passing for 98 yards and a touchdown. The game was already well over, so we're not going to read too much into those numbers. But we already know what Hoyer is, and that's a mediocre, turnover-prone, weak-armed glorified backup. Mallett at least has tons of arm talent with the ability to drive the ball.

I thought I had said something in this thread about the Texans needing to stick with one guy and not vacillate. Guess not. :welp:

I must admit I'm pretty surprised O'Brien is making the change. Not because Hoyer looked like Garo Yepremian out there against the Chiefs, but seeing a head coach admitting they made a mistake in a huge decision like the starting quarterback after just three and a half quarters is rare considering how stubborn and egocentric most coaches are in his position.

Hoyer is kinda drawing the short straw in this situation. Had Foster been healthy, the Chiefs defense would've had to respect the run, instead they pinned their ears back and made Hoyer their personal tackling dummy. Mallett is just better suited in this offense when Foster is not around. Mallett gets rid of the ball much faster and has better pocket presence, but he has his fair share of warts to his game as well. He may have the worst touch on his passes than any professional quarterback I have ever seen. He only knows how to throw fastballs even in the most unnecessary moments to be doing so.

Anyways this should be fun, I guess... :shrug:

The Texans are sticking with Ryan Mallett at quarterback.

Mallett has played as poorly as a quarterback can play this season, but coach Bill O'Brien knows Brian Hoyer offers similarly little hope. Still, a mid-game benching for Mallett seems more likely than not against the Colts on Thursday. Mallett simply has zero feel for what an NFL quarterback is supposed to do. Both Hoyer and Mallett are turnover machines, but Hoyer has a (slightly) better overall game.

The Houston Texans have released backup quarterback Ryan Mallett and are planning to bring back quarterback T.J. Yates, who is currently a free agent, sources told ESPN on Tuesday.
Mallett was late for meetings Saturday, blaming his tardiness on traffic. He then missed the team's charter flight to South Florida. He had to fly commercial to join the team for Sunday's game against the Dolphins and did not play.
Sources told ESPN on Monday that coach Bill O'Brien was upset over Saturday's incident and initially wanted to release him right away, but a consensus was reached that the team should wait rather than go into a game with only one active quarterback.
It was the second known time Mallett was late for a team activity. He had missed a practice just two days after Brian Hoyer was named the team's starting quarterback for the season opener. In a scene shown on HBO's "Hard Knocks," Mallett told Texans general manager Rick Smith he missed the practice because he overslept, he bought an alarm clock and nothing like that would ever happen again.

right before we play them :devious:

Wishing :chip: would go with Sanchez over Sadford at this point.

right before we play them :devious:

Hoyer was going to be the starter anyways, so I don't see how that is relevant.

As far as Mallett goes, good riddance. I don't mind a QB being upset over a demotion, but he went full-on pouty crybaby over it. The NFL is a man's sport. Hopefully this sinks in and he grows the fuck up.