Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Bears Reshuffling the Deck

So by now we know that the Bears are beginning to ship players. Jared Allen has been sent to the Panthers for a 6th round pick, and leading tackle from a year ago (and former 2nd round selection) Jon Bostic to the Patriots for a 6th rounder.

And not only that, but apparently more players may be out in the very near future.

It's easy to say... Hey, these guys don't fit what we are doing. But are they giving up on them too early? I mean, we are three games into the season. Is this a fire sale by Chicago and are they giving up on their season already?

Is John Fox on the hot seat at all after the terrible start by Chicago?

Fox will be there long term. The Bears have a long road ahead of them and I would think the GM knew this type of season was coming. Phil Emery left the cupboard bare.

• Upvote 1

Shipping a former 2nd who just led the team in tackles for a 6th seems a bit stupid. Can one of the Bears fans explain that move?

My only guess is that Bostic wasn't fitting into the 3-4 at all, and that's exactly why Jared Allen is gone. Also, Bostic led the team in tackles but struggled mightily in other areas. IIRC, he was terrible in pass coverage.

This is shipping off dead weight more so than shipping off good players. Jared Allen is a shell of his former self and was never going to excel in a 3-4, anyway.

Shipping a former 2nd who just led the team in tackles for a 6th seems a bit stupid. Can one of the Bears fans explain that move?

Bostic isn't good and barely worth a 6th round pick.....explained

-------------------------------

On another note this is what I was asking for in the off-season. We knew this season was done. All I want is to be competitive and competent. Outside of that just blow this thing up and trade everyone.

Forte should have been the first to go while he was still hot. Now teams won't touch him cause they know he will be a FA at the end of the year. Wouldn't even protest trading Jeffery who hasn't proven he can be a number 1 yet and even if he could he is injury prone.

Edited by butta55

Doing this in Week 3 though doesn't make sense. If those guys don't fit your 3-4 you knew they didn't fit the 3-4 when you switched to the 3-4. What they did was keep guys on their roster who they knew wouldn't fit over guys who are probably better and actually fit their scheme. That's idiocy.

Doing this in Week 3 though doesn't make sense. If those guys don't fit your 3-4 you knew they didn't fit the 3-4 when you switched to the 3-4. What they did was keep guys on their roster who they knew wouldn't fit over guys who are probably better and actually fit their scheme. That's idiocy.

unless they thought they could make it work and be mediocre and it took them three weeks to figure out (or admit) they couldn't

unless they thought they could make it work and be mediocre and it took them three weeks to figure out (or admit) they couldn't

In that case, three weeks really isn't that much time. And the team is horrible overall. The defense is actually the least of their worries, IMO. The offense and ST are much bigger problems. If you are going to tell yourself, "these guys dont' fit, but we're going to try to make it work", I don't think you give up after 3 weeks and especially after your defense held in their pretty nicely with Seattle for most of that game.

Bears just cut Brock Vereen. What the fuck are you doing Bears?

The fact that Bostic was beat out by Christian Jones (UDFA) and others are the reasoning. Tackles are a meaningless stat. Brock Vereen sucks bro.

Edited by Turry

I had a hunch that the team was gonna go into a form of rebuilding this year. They have some good pieces on the team and I think that it seems they were waiting until a few weeks into the season to see exactly where they were, and they weren't impressed with the results. So they're gonna unload some of the aging players or useless players so that they can stock up on some quality young talent next draft.

Who knows, maybe they thought that they'd be 1-2 or 2-1 at this point with a semi-decent outlook on the season and potentially fight for the #2 spot in the division? But even with the Lions as terrible as they are they still seem to be on track for a top 5 draft pick.

Welcome to our world. This is why I'm just ready for the Fox era to be over already.

If you want a true insight into the Bears here are the list of pieces that are untouchable going foward to build with:

Kevin White, Eddie Goldman, WIll Sutton, Christian Jones, Cornelius Washington, Kendall Langford, Kyle Long.

Everyone else can GTFO.

Bostic isn't good and barely worth a 6th round pick.....explained

-------------------------------

On another note this is what I was asking for in the off-season. We knew this season was done. All I want is to be competitive and competent. Outside of that just blow this thing up and trade everyone.

Forte should have been the first to go while he was still hot. Now teams won't touch him cause they know he will be a FA at the end of the year. Wouldn't even protest trading Jeffery who hasn't proven he can be a number 1 yet and even if he could he is injury prone.

When rebuilding a team, you don't get rid of all your talent. Especially young talent. Ashlon is only 25. Whatever your QB situation may be next year, you want guys your QB can throw the ball to.

What about Kyle Fuller?

He can GTFO

When rebuilding a team, you don't get rid of all your talent. Especially young talent. Ashlon is only 25. Whatever your QB situation may be next year, you want guys your QB can throw the ball to.

As I've said before about Alshon....he hasn't proved he is a legit #1 and even if he can be he has been too injury prone to sustain it. Yes he has talent and yes is young compartively, but nonetheless he is part of the old culture. I think he may have the mindset to be a leader in a new era, but with his injuries and perceived "potential" I rather ship him out while he is hot.

Can we have Alshon? Please? Hell I think I'd give up a first for him, certainly a second.

Can we have Alshon? Please? Hell I think I'd give up a first for him, certainly a second.

SOLD! :D

*Breaking News* The Panthers have traded their 2016 second round pick to the Chicago Bears for Alshon Jeffery. League sources wonder whether John Fox has lost his mind.

Considering he could walk after this year it actually wouldn't be an awful deal for the Bears, I'd want to make sure an extension wasn't an option, but with that caveat I'd do it

Fuck Fuller Srs. Embarrassing watching him play. Fuck Fox and Pace.

Edited by Turry

That's surprising, I thought Fuller had a good year last year. :p

*Breaking News* The Panthers have traded their 2016 second round pick to the Chicago Bears for Alshon Jeffery. League sources wonder whether John Fox has lost his mind.

You said first round pick :no:

You said first round pick :no:

You're the Bears you automatically lose the trade.

That's surprising, I thought Fuller had a good year last year. :p

He had a good 3 weeks.

And yes, that does include making veteran running back Matt Forteavailable for the right offer.

The mantra from Chicago has been that it would listen to almost anything, and that would include 29-year-old making $7.1 million.

As one rival general manager described it, "They basically say, 'Don't be afraid to ask.'"

In fact, though the Bears haven't explicitly said it, there are just a few players they'd be highly unlikely to trade barring a blockbuster offer, and it's the players you'd think. Recent high draft picks receiver Kevin White, lineman Kyle Long, receiver Alshon Jeffery, cornerback Kyle Fuller, and free-agent signing Pernell McPhee.

They even contemplated dealing Cutler, as was reported at the time, during the draft an in effort to move up to one of the top two slots, though it never materialized.

NFL.com

Edited by Favre4Ever