Sign in to follow this  
Thanatos

Game of Thrones Season 7

Baelish got fucked. Jon Snow is actually Aegon Targaryen. Cool. Clegane Bowl next season. Please.

So Sam... how did you know that shit when you cut Gilly off from explaining it to you? What the hell.

How did Bran not already know that? Lol. From the Potato who can see everything, that was pretty hilariously lame that Gilly of House Wildling knows more than he does.

Also that exact moment when you know LittleFinger soiled himself... One of the most gratifying moments of the season.

Edited by Olenna4Ever

So everyone was at King's Landing at the beginning of this episode (coming from The Wall, no less), but it takes Sam multiple episodes to get from Oldtown to Winterfell?

This complaining about teleportation is getting really old and tired. Its based off books and has shortened seasons, deal with it, like seriously.

• Downvote 1

Just because it's a narrative necessity doesn't mean it isn't forced and contrived. Lots of the small scenes don't really jive well with me. Theon shouldn't have won that fight, just begrudgingly earned the ironborn's respect because he would not fucking stay down. The whole Sansa playing Littlefinger thing was done solely for drama for the sake of the viewers, rather than following the lines the narrative was sending. Varys has gone from this tricky spymaster to a dude who just stands around with his hands in his pockets like "I'm here for 8 seasons, you better pay me" sort of shit. There's a lot of things I don't like about it, and I'm basically just watching now with the intent of seeing cool special effects and explosions. That's right, Game of Thrones is a Michael Bay film now

• Upvote 1

Razor summed it up nicely for me. I think I will look upon season 7 more favorably by seeing it as the first half of the show's final season, rather than a season of its own.

Though we've gotten a ton of awesome battle scenes, nothing major has changed, for me. Sure, the Night King has a dragon. And sure, the Wall came down (as we knew it would). I guess the main focus this season has been on Jon and Dany. But otherwise, the stage is set almost exactly as it was at the end of season 6.

Cersei sits on the Iron Throne, all major characters remain alive, and the army of the dead is coming.

Edited by SteVo

I think the 7 episode season was a huge mistake. It's crazy how they rushed to The Long Night after patiently setting it up for 6 years. The fan service and payoffs were nice but I think there must have been some pressure to end this thing by like 2019 or 2020. I know the show runners have that Civil War alt history thing in the works. We've seen Sophie Turner could be a big Hollywood star at some point. Emilia Clarke and Kit Harrington would probably like to work on other shit. Like, if they had to stretch this for another season I'm sure they'd have to pay some of these actors a lot of fucking money, but I'm sure HBO would be happy to give them whatever they want to an extent so idk lol.

I'm glad I decided to pick up the books, that's all I'll say. I still love the show and so many of the actors portrayals of the characters. I still love the cinematography and the effects.

Oh and btw that Theon and Jon scene was fucking beautiful was it not? I mean there are a lot of things to complain about but there is some really good stuff too. Lena Heady is a phenomenal actress too.

ydk6lb_by_lilybakamikudesu-d7xjscq.gif
  • Upvote 1

There are definitely a lot of things that you can tel probably won't be in the books or will be dramatically different. I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with that.

Benjens story arc gonna be wildly different. I think Sam got some massive changes .. the very very contrived Sansa Vs Arya stuff. Etc

The show has shifted from a character centric narrative to one action set piece after another. They said they were going to do it that way.

If anything this keeps me excited for the possibly two books we get . Doesn't make me like the show any less

• Upvote 2

How did Bran not already know that? Lol. From the Potato who can see everything, that was pretty hilariously lame that Gilly of House Wildling knows more than he does.

Also that exact moment when you know LittleFinger soiled himself... One of the most gratifying moments of the season.

Actually I think I understand how Bran's sight works now. He has to at least conceive of the possibility himself in order to see it. Or perhaps, be told about it happening in order to go back and see it.

He knew about the Tower because Ned Stark told him bedtime tales of the duel between him and the best swordsman in Westeros. He lied about how they beat him, but he did tell him- and Robb and Jon for that matter.

He doesn't realize Rhaegar and Lyanna loved each other and were married because he's been told his whole life by his father that Rhaegar kidnapped his aunt. It doesn't enter his mind that Ned was lying or mistaken about that, so he can't see it.

It fits perfectly, and it reduces his power so he's not omniscient.

Rhaegar was nuts, btw. The whole reason he wanted the third child was because he thought his children were from a prophecy and "the dragon needs three heads." Its why he ran off with Lyanna, because Elia of Dorne was too weak to have a third child.

Yeah, I think you're right. He has to somewhat focus on something particular and then can see it or have some kind of knowledge of it. And you're right that it makes him less powerful.

I still don't like how they explain it though. Or... how they have him explain it. when he describes who and what he is to other characters like Sam, Sansa, etc, it really sounds like he is some all-knowing being. Maybe that is what scene was supposed to do as well though, was let us know that he is indeed limited.

And another thing that may thwart this a little... He had to have flashed about things regarding Littlefinger because Sansa knew things that really no one else did. So did Bran have some kind of knowledge of that beforehand to trigger his vision? I am really hoping (and I am sure they will) that the books better define the role of Three Eyed Raven and his powers.

Also... I know he was in Dorne, but wouldn't Jon (if he was a bastard) have been a Waters and not a Sand? I would imagine your father means more than actual physical location of your birth..Very all-knowing.. and wrong, I think. haha

On a different topic though and more open to the group... What is with Tyrion at the end there. I honestly don't get his obvious look of concern as he kinda creeped on Dany/Jon. He was so worried about Dany naming an heir... and now with her making one, he looks really cautious. Not sure, I have to think on this one. Or if you guys have ideas, please share. It's probably something really obvious that I am just missing, but... Ya, I am missing it. Ha

Edited by Olenna4Ever
  • Upvote 1

Best part of the finale was the Mastodon cameo (again) :smug:

I think Tyrion secretly wanted to stick the magic dwarf cock into Dae and he jealous that Jon piping that but that's just my guess.

• Upvote 1

Yeah Rhaegar is also a complete asshole. Annulment of a marriage in medieval times is basically equivalent to a declaration of war, why do you think the Frey's betrayed Robb Stark? He would have had the wrath of Dorne on his hands, and not to mention Elia and her children would have been entitled to nothing. The Dragon would be back to having one head...

We better get some Howland Reed action in Season 8. How has he not appeared yet

• Upvote 1

Since I plan on re-watching the entire series before season 8 premieres anyway, how would you guys feel about me posting reviews for each episode as I go? They wouldn't be long, just a casual glance at seven seasons of the show with the added benefit of reflecting on the entire series.

• Upvote 2

I've thought about doing the same thing (not posting about it though, lol). I think there would be a ton of things to "catch" rewatching the series. Might make it fun.

I'd read / respond to them if you did it. Dunno if you are looking for something else / more. ha.

• Upvote 1

Too Lazy / don't Want to Watch Video:

Two cut scenes from Season 7. First of which was Jon saying goodbye to Ghost before he head off to Dragonstone. The other was Sansa going to Bran and asking about LittleFinger, where he reveals LittleFinger's treason, which obviously leads to his execution.

Edited by Olenna4Ever

Yeah Rhaegar is also a complete asshole. Annulment of a marriage in medieval times is basically equivalent to a declaration of war, why do you think the Frey's betrayed Robb Stark? He would have had the wrath of Dorne on his hands, and not to mention Elia and her children would have been entitled to nothing. The Dragon would be back to having one head...

Maybe Rhaegar knew he was going to die in battle and he had already came to terms with it having already fulfilled the "prophecy" at least in his mind. :shrug:

Good news! My binge-a-thon has begun (Binge of Thrones?), and I'm already writing up some reviews. I should be able to start posting them soon, and you guys will decide how badly I'm wasting my time. :p

• Upvote 1

Ok guys, our binge review of the series is set to begin! Even though it's football season, I'm going to post reviews on Sundays. They should be a good way to kill time before the games begin, and they're only averaging 700 words or so. Easy reading.

In case you guys want to "follow along," so to speak, in re-watching the show with me, these are the dates each review goes live for each episode of season one. If you guys decide reading these are fun, we will continue into season two right up through season seven.

9/24: Winter Is Coming

10/1: The Kingsroad

10/8: Lord Snow

10/15: Cripples, Bastards, and Broken Things

10/22: The Wolf and the Lion

10/29: A Golden Crown

11/5: You Win or You Die

11/12: The Pointy End

11/19: Baelor

11/26: Fire and Blood

Ok, just about time to get this party started. A couple things first…

DISCLAIMER #1: The night is dark and full of spoilers.

Not that someone who hasn’t seen the series is reading this thread anyway, but, just in case. These reviews are designed to be read by someone who has viewed all seven seasons of the show. They will allow us deeper reflection on prior seasons with the benefits of foresight and hindsight.

“But what if I have/haven’t read the books?” Well…

DISCLAIMER #2: These are book-less reviews, for the most part.

Even though I read A Game of Thrones and some of A Clash of Kings, these reviews will be written from the perspective of someone who has never read the books. Comparisons between the TV series and books will occur but not frequently. For you book-readers out there, feel free to throw your perspective into the discussion.

That being said, let’s get going!

Winter Is Coming

Season 1, Episode 1

Grade: A-

King Robert and the Lannisters visit the Starks of Winterfell.

The Targaryens begin a plan of revenge across the Narrow Sea.

Three men wander on horseback beyond an enormous wall into a snowy forest. One finds multiple bodies, mutilated and frozen, decapitated heads on spikes. When he brings the other two, the bodies are gone. Then, something attacks. It has ice blue eyes. One man is killed. Another runs away until it finds him again, slicing his head from his neck and tossing it towards the last survivor, frozen in terror. Fade to black. Roll opening credits.

So begins our journey through George R.R. Martin’s world, through Westeros, Essos, the Narrow Sea between, and the Wall above. It’s a hell of a world, and one of the finest settings television has ever seen. Game of Thrones brings this world to life with beautiful landscapes, impeccable art design, and top-notch production values—and those are layered onto a foundation of smart writing and complex characters. Let’s get it out of the way now: this is one of the best shows in a television era ripe with great shows. It will feature spectacular battle sequences, brutally graphic violence, and plot turns that alter the TV drama landscape altogether. But it begins, as any show must, with a pilot.

TV pilots are always tricky. They must establish an unfair amount of plot tension and character development while making the viewer return for a second episode. It is appropriate, then, that Game of Thrones starts small. The seeds are planted for season one’s various plotlines that will unfold over multiple locations, but for now, we focus on two: Winterfell and Pentos.

David Benioff and D.B. Weiss’ script moves methodically from one setting to the next and is careful not to juggle too much plot at once. The first shot after the opening credits is of the survivor/deserter, and we spend the next fifteen minutes in Winterfell so that story can wrap up. Then we go to King’s Landing to get the Jon Arryn mystery going. We spend another fifteen minutes getting to know Robert and the Lannisters, and then—halfway through the episode—we go to Pentos to meet Daenerys and Viserys.

As well paced as the episode is, any viewer is susceptible to character fatigue, especially without urgent reasons to keep track of each character. We are introduced to many, but have reason to care about few. This episode is much easier to watch if you’re with someone who has already seen it or read the books. I’m sure I would have been thoroughly confused if my wife hadn’t been giving me backstory and character details.

Still, “Winter Is Coming” serves its audience well to introduce us to setting. Every scene has the feel of established characters, of a world that has traditions and tendencies. This episode, for the most part, lets us feel like we’re a fly on the wall who has dropped into this magical world rather than a TV viewer watching a series of contrived scenes. The greatest example of this, for me, is the ending.

Every pilot ends with a good hook, and Jamie pushing Bran out the window is as good as it gets. Seconds after the Jamie-Cersei revelation, it’s a sudden acceleration of plot followed by the cut to black and closing credits. And, ultimately, it’s more than enough reason to come back for episode two.

So yeah, not a whole lot of consequence happens in this episode, but how much could happen? As I said, the show makes the correct decision by prioritizing setting over plot. And it’s not like everything is established by boring, on-the-nose dialogue. Consider a pair of shots in the episode’s early minutes: a shot-reverse shot between Catelyn and Jon communicates Catelyn’s feelings toward her husband’s bastard, and the spiral shot of Arya in the sewing circle (with noises of swords and arrows in the background) demonstrates how out of place she is among the ladylike Sansa.

Ultimately, “Winter Is Coming” succeeds as a pilot but also holds up as a proper Game of Thrones episode. In this hour we already see the show’s penchant for elaborate set pieces (Dothraki wedding ceremony), though its budget will spike in later seasons. We also see its propensity for graphic violence and nudity. When I first started watching the show, I found the violence awesome and the nudity a bit gratuitous, but now, I think both fit perfectly.

By the time we get to the feast in Winterfell, enough has been established that the interplay between characters can escalate. Catelyn and Cersei trade subtle verbal jabs discussing Sansa’s future. Moments later, Ned and Jamie do the same, though not so subtle.

So, as far as how well Game of Thrones introduces us to a world full of complex mythology and spirituality, it does a fine job, but it has nothing on Lost. Still, it beats The Wire, which threw too many characters at us too fast. So “Winter Is Coming” is somewhere in between those two. That’s fine company to keep, but it won’t be long before Game of Thrones finds its own greatness and establishes that it has no proper comparison on television.

Odds and Ends

• This episode was originally directed by Tom McCarthy, but after test screenings drew horrible reception, it was reshot with Tim Van Patten behind the camera. Van Patten has a diverse and impressive resume directing HBO shows, including The Sopranos, Sex and the City, and Boardwalk Empire.
  • This episode aired April 17, 2011 and met 2.2 million viewers in the United States. A month ago, “The Dragon and the Wolf” was viewed by over 12 million people.
  • I don’t know if it beats The Sopranos, but the opening credits of this show are one of my favorites. I love the way they evolve to keep up with current events. For now we’ve only got four locations: King’s Landing, Winterfell, the Wall, and Pentos.
  • As the episode title and Ned and Benjen (and Ned again) declare, winter is on the way. We have fifty-eight more episodes before “The Winds of Winter” arrive.
  • How does the deserter escape and make it back south of the Wall? Do the White Walkers intentionally let him go?
  • Does anybody remember watching this episode originally and thinking, “Oh, so, Bran is dead, right?” Humble beginnings.
  • Speaking of, it’s a shame Bran ends up crippled, because his climbing skills are pretty dope.
  • Tyrion Lannister’s introduction: chugging a pint of ale whilst a woman sucks his cock. Never change, Tyrion.
  • Holy crap, direwolves grow fast.
  • Great shot: close-up of the curved piece of stone, shift focus to the deserter whose neck will soon be chopped on it.
  • “The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.”
  • “Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.”
  • “A Dothraki wedding without at least three deaths is considered a dull affair.”

Next Week: Robert and Ned take “The Kingsroad” south.

Stevo gave up apparently :D

Also this

"I cried at the end," Game of Thrones actor Kit Harington admits reading the final script of the show; "You have to remember that eight years of it -- no one really cares about it more than us."