Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Peyton Denies HGH Allegations

Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning has been listed in a new Al Jazeera undercover probe as one of several prominent professional athletes who were supplied illegal performance-enhancing drugs from an Indiana-based anti-aging clinic.

In the report, titled "The Dark Side," Al Jazeera says in an article shared in advance with The Huffington Post that steroids and other drugs were shipped to the home address of Manning in 2011 in the name of his wife, Ashley, so that the quarterback's name was never attached to the shipments.

Sly, now based in Austin, Texas, also accused Manning and his wife in the undercover video of going to the clinic after its normal business hours for intravenous treatments.

In a statement to ESPN's Chris Mortensen Sunday night, Manning vehemently denied the claims: "For the record, I have never used HGH. It absolutely never happened. The whole thing is totally wrong. It's such a fabrication, I'm not losing any sleep over it, that's for sure."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14441114/documentary-links-peyton-manning-other-pro-athletes-use-peds

I honestly don't really care if he used them or not... HGH and steroids in general have never really been a trigger for me. It actually makes me laugh that baseball and some of their fans take it so seriously.

However, with that said... I know a lot of people WILL care about this. So, what say you? Is it a big deal Peyton has been linked to HGH? Will it harm his legacy?

Edited by Favre4Ever

2011 is when he was out for the entire season due to neck surgeries and there were reports that he couldn't throw the ball well at all after the first one (his arm strength had diminished). I'm unsure of anything beyond that but I know when he finally came back he was throwing ducks anyways so I'm not sure it really effected his performance on the field if he took them. He likely would've used them to help him successfully recover from the surgeries in the offseason. To me, that would make sense.

Even if he did, I guess I don't really care. I don't think it caused his 55 TD season.

Guest Phailadelphia

I'm not buying the report. I have no doubts that half the league is using PEDs but I don't think Peyton is one of them.

• Upvote 2

I trust Al Jazeera. If they said Peyton likely juiced it means Peyton likely juiced. Not enough evidence to bring down any punishment yet though.

• Upvote 1

I'm not buying the report. I have no doubts that half the league is using PEDs but I don't think Peyton is one of them.

Eh, I wasn't surprised at all by the report. Dude was facing what many thought was a career ending injury. When faced with that reality, I don't think there would be anything that Peyton wouldn't do. For the record, I am sure 99% of player would make the same choice.

• Upvote 2

Al Jazeera about to ice these fucktards. They do their homework.

If only the Broncos actually got that kind of pass blocking.

• Upvote 1

Charlie Sly isn't that dude's actual name, right?

Right?!

FOX's Mike Garofolo reports the NFL has requested an interview with Peyton Manning over Al Jazeera's allegations that he had HGH shipped to his wife.

However, the interview won't occur until after the Super Bowl, "if at all." Major League Baseball has launched a joint investigation with the United States Anti-Doping Agency into the Al Jazeera allegations, but the NFL has chosen to go it alone. Compared to baseball and the Olympics, the NFL is still relatively soft on performance-enhancing drugs.
Source: FOX Sports

Amazing.

The Washington Post reports Peyton Manning hired private investigators to question the main source of Al Jazeera's documentary on performance-enhancing drug use.

The men apparently made a bit of a scene at Charlie Sly's parents' house. Manning's camp hasn't denied it. "Our thinking was it would be very helpful to find whoever it was who was making up lies about Peyton, and figure out why someone would fabricate information like this," spokesman Ari Fleischer said. Sly recanted his claims before the documentary even aired. He was clearly feeling some pressure from Manning's end.

hahaha that's awesome.

Charlie Sly, the main source of the Al Jazeera documentary which alleges Peyton Manning used HGH, does not believe the investigators the Manning camp sent to his parents' house were intended to intimidate him into cooperation.

The Washington Post reported Manning's lawyers sent investigators to the house prior to the documentary airing. The men allegedly worried Sly's sister enough for her to call police, but Sly had nothing but good things to say about the investigators. "Those guys were great guys," Sly said. "Like, very good guys. Very professional." The NFL is investigating the allegations against Manning and the other NFL players implicated in the documentary. Sly recanted his allegations before the documentary aired.
Source: ESPN

I still refuse to believe that Charlie Sly is a real name. That's on the same fake name level as Marty St. Louis and Al Albuquerque

:mjlaugh:

Not surprising in the slightest.

Cheaters never win until they do.

It's not like Peyton started running like Cam or even like he started throwing harder or farther than he did pre-neck injury. If anything he was slower and his arm eventually turned into a noodle anyway. I guess it's still breaking the rules and without the HGH he's not breaking Favre's career records because he's sitting on the couch at home on Sundays, but I'd rather see Peyton have the records because he was always better than Favre.

Records are meant to be broken and I don't think Peyton keeps a majority of them that long to begin with. Using that to justify HGH is lame... I mean, I don't really care about HGH use in sports. If the athletes can use them within reason or if they want to take the risks associated -- go for it.

And honestly, I think he's pretty fortunate that the story just kinda puttered out. Because even though I don't care about it so much, a lot of people would. His legacy would be tattered and in pieces.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1493/peyton-manning

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the NFL has determined Peyton Manning did not use HGH or any other performance-enhancing drugs.

Manning was implicated along with several other players in an Al Jazeera America report from December. The NFL determined there was "no credible evidence" the allegations were true after seven months of investigation. This development should be great news for James Harrison, Julius Peppers, Clay Matthews, and the other players implicated in the report, who have all submitted written statements declaring their innocence to the league office. The NFL still wants to interview each player.

http://deadspin.com/nfl-threatens-to-punish-players-named-in-al-jazeera-rep-1785321245

The NFL is threatening to suspend players named in Al Jazeera’s December report about doping in sports unless they agree to interviews with the league by Aug. 25.

On his Facebook page today, Adam Schefter published a letter from Adolpho Birch, the league’s senior vice president of labor policy and league affairs. Birch specifically names the Pittsburgh Steelers’ James Harrison, the

Green Bay Packers’ Clay Matthews and Julius Peppers, and Mike Neal, a free agent who last played for the Packers. Those four players have sent sworn affidavits to the NFL. Harrison’s statement looked like this:

The NFLPA backed their players and believed that to be sufficient, especially for a report that was questionable to the point where two athletes named, Ryan Howard and Ryan Zimmerman, filed lawsuits against Al Jazeera for libel. Regardless of the veracity of the report, the league isn’t satisfied with sworn affidavits, so Birch sent this stern-sounding letter, which includes sentences like, “There can be no question that the league has a good faith basis for conducting this investigation.”

As you know, the league has been investigating a nationally televised report concerning potential violations of the collectively bargained Policy on Performance-Enhancing Substances. There can be no question that the league has a good faith basis for conducting this investigation; moreover, the league and NFLPA have a shared interest in ensuring that our jointly developed policy is not being violated.

Nevertheless, since the initiation of our investigation in January the league has made at least seven attempts to arrange interviews of Messrs. Harrison, Matthews, Neal and Peppers. On each occasion, the NFLPA has communicated the players’ refusal to participate. Most recently, the NFLPA has attempted to prevent the interviews by submitting for each player a half-page statement, which you advised should be treated as a sworn statement given in a legal proceeding, and which you contend should fulfill the players’ acknowledged obligation to cooperate with the investigation. The statements, however, are wholly devoid of any detail, and we were quickly able to determine that Mr. Neal’s statement includes an assertion that is demonstrably false. Rather than eliminate the need for interviews, the players’ plainly deficient statements simply underscore the importance of obtaining their full cooperation.

You were so advised on July 29, when we again wrote to offer the players another opportunity to participate in an interview, beginning with Mr. Neal. In that letter, you were expressly notified that continued noncooperation could result in discipline up to and including a suspension. In response, you provided a revised statement and letter which acknowledged Mr. Neal’s prior steroid policy violation and that his previous “sworn statement” is in fact untrue. Most important, you advised that Mr. Neal had again refused to cooperate with our investigation by participating in an interview.

There is no dispute that players are obligated to cooperate with the league’s investigation, as you have repeatedly acknowledged. This obligation includes not only the responsibility to submit to an interview but also the duty to provide meaningful responses to the questions posed. Nor is there a dispute that a failure to cooperate or an attempt to obstruct the investigation may result in discipline, including suspension from play, for conduct detrimental under Article 46 of the CBA and the NFL Player Contract.

We cannot accept your unilateral assertion that the cursory, untested statements you have submitted satisfy the players’ obligation. Accordingly, the Commissioner has directed that Messrs. Harrison, Matthews, Neal and Peppers be given until Thursday, August 25 to provide interviews. For those players whose interviews do not take place on or before that date, or who fail meaningfully to participate in or otherwise obstruct the interview, their actions will constitute conduct detrimental and they will be suspended, separate and apart from any possible future determination that they violated the steroid policy. The suspension for each such player will begin on Friday, August 26 and will continue until he has fully participated in an interview with league investigators, after which the Commissioner will determine whether and when the suspension should be lifted.

To avoid this outcome, please promptly contact my office to make arrangements for the interviews. As previously stated, we will make every effort to accommodate the NFLPA’s availability, within the outlined time period.

Aug. 25 will be the date to watch if this standoff lasts that long. Will the NFL actually go through with its threat and suspend players for conduct detrimental for refusing to give interviews? The league hammered then-rookie quarterback Terrelle Pryor for five games because of “integrity,” so the possibility’s totally within the realm.

[Facebook]

Edited by Vin

#PeytonDidNothingWrong

Three of the four players involved are meeting with the league. Can you guess which one isn't?

It's Mike Neal

http://deadspin.com/three-of-four-nfl-players-named-in-al-jazeera-doping-re-1785472220

James Harrison, Clay Matthews, and Julius Peppers, who were named in the Al Jazeera report on doping, will meet with the league after the NFL threatened to suspend them for a lack of cooperation, according to a letter sent by the NFLPA today.

ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reports that the three players will submit to interviews about the PED allegations against them. Former Green Bay Packer and current free agent Mike Neal “is not meeting with the NFL,” per Mike Florio.

In a letter sent to the NFL on behalf of Harrison, the NFLPA said (emphasis theirs):

Dear Adolpho:

We write in response to your August 15th letter about the NFL’s investigation of Mr. Harrison, which is based upon a twenty-five second clip from an hour-long story broadcast by Al-Jazeera, in which one individual (who subsequently recanted all of his remarks) was secretly recorded making baseless, false allegations about Mr. Harrison.

Your most recent letter, distributed to the media before providing it to Mr. Harrison and the NFLPA, confirmed our understanding that, rather than act with the integrity, respect, and thoughtful diligence that an employer such as the NFL should, the League has instead decided to ignore its collectively-bargained agreements and try to bully and publicly “shame” a veteran player-employee who has repeatedly asked a simple, eminently reasonable question about his employer’s investigation:

Is the NFL aware of any credible evidence - other than the recanted remarks by one individual shown by Al-Jazeera - that indicates that there is any validity to the remarks about Mr. Harrison?

[...]

Despite the NFL’s attempt to assert authority for which it never bargained, and its embarrassing refusal to thoughtfully consider the fair question and viewpoint of a man who has performed his job in a public arena at the highest level for over fifteen years, Mr. Harrison has decided that he will try to end this witch hunt and distraction to his team.

The league initially gave an interview deadline of August 25; the NFLPA letter states that Harrison agreed to an interview at the Pittsburgh Steelers’ facility on August 30.

The NFLPA’s full letter is below.
  • Upvote 1