Sign in to follow this  
oochymp

Who wins the AFC South?

Sean got this going in the NFC East, but why not get a thread for every division? Player movement is pretty much done and minicamps are getting started, so this seems like a good time to get the discussion going

This division might be the most wide open, which is a nice way of saying all four teams suck, so who comes out on top of the garbage heap? Or is this the year the AFC South rises from the ashes? All four teams have good young QBs, so it's gotta happen at some point, right?

I predicted the Jags before all their rookies got injured by the curse so uh while I still want to back that claim, I wouldn't be surprised if the Texans stole it. They've still got the best defense of the bunch, but time will tell whether OZ is good enough for that team or not.

Gonna be like:

45% Jags

30% Texans

20% Colts

5% Titans

I think the Colts rebound and take it this year, with the Jaguars fighting them all the way home. Houston ends up around 8-8 IMO.

If Jags are healthy I take them all the way. They're a borderline super bowl contender with the new additions and development of talent.

:Texans:

Consistency and Continuity is going to win this division. The Texans Defense is a well oiled machine...offensively there's some work to be done, but DeAndre Hopkins hasn't even hit his ceiling yet...and was playing with lolHoyer and no running game last year and teams STILL couldn't stop him.

:Texans:

The safe pick. While I don't think Osweiler is good, he also isn't Brian Hoyer. So I'll give the Texans the slight edge here due to them having the best all around team. It mostly depends on how Luck rebounds this year and how much more progress the Jags make, if any at all.

012213-gus-bradley-600.jpg

Hurns and Robinson are both pretty damn good receivers. Julius & Lewis could do damage if Julius gets his shit figured out and remembers how to play like he's in Denver. Ivory is one of the better workhorse backs in the NFL and adding in Yeldon and Robinson makes a dangerous backfield. Bortles is continuing to develop nicely. Shitty line though.

Fowler and Jackson could be pretty scary. People forget how good Fowler looked in college. Posluszny isn't too impressive but Jack is one of the best athletes to ever come into the NFL and Smith is a pro bowl caliber player. Ramsey when healthy is a solid corner from the jump. Same with Amukamara even if he ends up with slot duties and House playing the #2 spot. Gipson was a pro bowler before his ACL injury and Cyprien is decent enough to start.

Is it better than a Broncos type of team? No. But it's a pretty balanced roster that's overflowing with talent.

Texans got most well rounded squad but I'm not a Brock believer so we'll see. Though he has lots of weapons to lean on in Nuk, Miller, Brax, Ervin etc. Colts prob worst overall roster mostly because lots of descending rather than ascending players but Luck has been able to equalize all that in the past and if healthy he could do it again. You gotta go with those two as the favorites I'll lean Texans for now even though I don't buy their QB. Jags still have to prove some consistency til we talk about them winning the division. They got prob second most well rounded roster next to Texans but does the team know how to win? Titans prob third best roster but everyone has ?s about Mulolarkey. Will be interesting to see if "exotic smashmouth" takes the AFC South by storm or not. :lol:

Ryan Grigson has done such an awful job of building around Luck lol. I don't think anyone else in the division is quite ready to knock him off top at the moment. Bortles looks good but their line is just so bad. I also think the Jags defense is overrated.

There's no way the Jags are a "borderline" SB contender lol. They haven't won more than like 10 games in the last 3 seasons combined.

The Jags are probably in the discussion for worst team of the past ten years when you look at win loss records.

Hurns and Robinson are both pretty damn good receivers. Julius & Lewis could do damage if Julius gets his shit figured out and remembers how to play like he's in Denver. Ivory is one of the better workhorse backs in the NFL and adding in Yeldon and Robinson makes a dangerous backfield. Bortles is continuing to develop nicely. Shitty line though.

Fowler and Jackson could be pretty scary. People forget how good Fowler looked in college. Posluszny isn't too impressive but Jack is one of the best athletes to ever come into the NFL and Smith is a pro bowl caliber player. Ramsey when healthy is a solid corner from the jump. Same with Amukamara even if he ends up with slot duties and House playing the #2 spot. Gipson was a pro bowler before his ACL injury and Cyprien is decent enough to start.

Is it better than a Broncos type of team? No. But it's a pretty balanced roster that's overflowing with talent.

My post wasn't in reference to their talent.

My post was mentioning that the biggest thing holding back their success is the fact that they have arguably the worst coach in the NFL leading their team.

They might get to the playoffs this year(though Bradley is so bad that he might even prevent them from being able to do that), but once/if they get there? It's going to be a very, very quick exit because most teams that make the playoffs don't have a coach that's as dumb as a rock.

Yeah didn't think I needed to mention in my post my thoughts on Bradley :lol: He's got no excuses now though Babich is out and his boy Wash is in, not his former coach who he owed a favor to in Babich. :yao: Defense has to produce.

I'm actually a little more optimistic about the Jags OL than most I guess. The entire left side to Center was a problem last year. Joeckel, Beadles, Wiz. All three struggle a lot versus power and strength. Wiz even cost the Jags a game snapping the ball too early that flew by Bortles. He had multiple issues snapping the ball last year. Yeah. A vet. In the run game he gave nothing, all he gave was some solid pass blocking. People forget that the Jags lost their best OL in game 2 of the season in Brandon Linder. Who many thought was poised for a Pro Bowl type year. He's now moving to Center. He's a lot stronger than Wiz. I expect Jags will have more success running the ball in short yardage this year with their OL moves (Beachum, Bernadeau, Linkenbach) and Ivory signings because last year they were probably the worst if not close. They got tougher and bigger up front which was desperately needed because other than AJ Cann who did real real solid as a rookie due to his aggressiveness and Parnell who was inconsistent but was nasty in the run game they were a soft OL. Got bitched way too much. I like their moves. They just gotta perform now.

Edited by CampinWithTheProlapse

Yeah Jags have relatively sucked over past ten years. Who on that roster has been there for ten years? Fuck, who has been on that roster since Shad bought the team? Very few remnants of the old regime.

If you want to argue they'll flop cause of the coaching staff I won't fight that. But the talent is undeniable.

I think the biggest :wut: was the whole "Super Bowl contender" part :lol: I mean if you said they were gonna win the division based on talent then people would of prob kept it moving because that's not too crazy.

if jegs win the sb this year cherry is officially the smartest person in the world and #1 jegs fan

I think the biggest :wut: was the whole "Super Bowl contender" part :lol: I mean if you said they were gonna win the division based on talent then people would of prob kept it moving because that's not too crazy.

if jegs win the sb this year cherry is officially the smartest person in the world and #1 jegs fan

Didn't say I think they'd win :smug: Just that they're definitely in the mix. They aren't loaded with stars like a Steelers type of team but they are probably one of the most well-rounded teams in the entire league. Before last year started we all probably would've laughed at the idea of the Panthers being a super bowl contender too. Jags got easy mode division and loads of potential.