Sign in to follow this  
seanbrock

Award Predictions

Yes Vin, I know it's May but it gets people posting so can it. lol

MVP: Cam Newton, I know I know, Everybody hates him. I don't really care for the guy either but it took one of the best defenses of all time last year to finally stop him. He won't be playing them every week and now he has Kelvin Benjamin back.

OPoTY: Cam Newton, See above^

DPoTY: Von Miller, He hasn't won it yet and he's inarguably a top defensive player in the league.

ORoTY: Ezekiel Elliot, As much as I hate the Cowboys this just makes too much sense. He's going to come in and get a ton of carries whether Romo is healthy or not and he could very easily be running behind the best offensive line the league

DRoTY: Reggie Ragland, Honestly I don't know much about this draft class but inside linebackers with a chance to start and rack up tackles are usually a pretty safe bet for this award. He's also playing for a good defensive guy in Rex Ryan.

CoTY: Pete Carrol, I know, another guy a lot of people on this board hate. Unfortunately the guy is a great coach. Seattle went through so growing pains last year and fought through some injuries. I also suspect they suffered from a little bit of Super Bowl hangover. Seattle will have a top 5 defense this year by all accounts I think but this year instead of having a physical, ground and pound offense, they have a well balanced offense with explosive big play potential. They're going to be hard to beat.

MVP: Tom Brady (Barring suspension)

OPotY: Tom Brady

DPotY: JJ Watt (Aaron Donald more deserving)

ORotY: Ezekiel Elliot. I think Zeke is shit but he will be 350-1500-15 behind that line. Rookie difficulty.

DRotY: Myles Jack. Expect 150 combined tackles and at least 10 takeaways. In running for DPotY as well. Maybe finishes #4 or #5.

CotY: Bill Belichick (Barring Tom's suspension)

As much as I *hate* to do this.

MVP: Russell Wilson

Ugh. With that out of the way.

OPotY: Aaron Rodgers

DPotY: JJ Watt (Boring, but I don't see a reason why he wouldn't.)

ORotY: Josh Doctson

DRotY: Leonard Floyd

CotY: Pete Carroll

CPotY: Kelvin Benjamin

• Downvote 2

DRotY: Leonard Floyd

200w.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Hah yeah Floyd was a horrible pick.

MVP: Russell Wilson

Offensive Player of the year: Antonio Brown

Defensive Player of the year: Von Miller

Offensive Rookie of the year: Ezekiel Elliot

Defensive Rookie of the year: Jalen Ramsey

Comeback Player of the year: Kelvin Benjamin

Coach of the year: Peeeete

MVP: Aaron Rodgers

Offensive Player of the Year: Antonio Brown

Defensive Player of the Year: Tyrann Mathieu

Offensive Rookie of the Year: Jared Goff

Defensive Rookie of the Year: Joey Bosa

Comeback Player of the Year: Le'Veon Bell

Coach of the Year: Bill Belichick

Armchair scouts ftw! Floyd was a great pick, just because some draftniks had him falling deeper in the draft is meaningless.

Foxy knows what he wants and he went and got it.

• Downvote 1

Armchair scouts ftw! Floyd was a great pick, just because some draftniks had him falling deeper in the draft is meaningless.

Foxy knows what he wants and he went and got it.

Foxy got a 4-3 OLB who should've been a second rounder at best and made him a 3-4 OLB who plays like a board of driftwood. Best case scenario he has a dominant line around him that allows him to be a poor man's Aldon Smith for a year or two.

Call it armchair scout all you want but there is a reason why players get drafted in the first round and are out of the league by the end of their first contract. But would every pick in the first round be a "great pick" according to you?

If you want to disagree with me, do it because you've paid enough attention to know the player through and through. Don't ride your old coach's dick because he got a pass rusher who looks like a skinny middle school kid hitting a growth spurt. He will snapped in half by NFL linemen.

Edited by Chernobyl426

Offensive Player of the Year: Antonio Brown
Defensive Player of the Year: Mack Attack
Offensive Rookie of the Year: Ezekiel Elliot
Defensive Rookie of the Year: Robert Nkemdiche
Comeback Player of the Year: Jordy Nelson
Coach of the Year: John Harbaugh

MVP: Geno Smith
Offensive Player of the Year: Blake Bortles Blake Bortles Blake Bortles Blake Bortles
Defensive Player of the Year: Chris Conte
Offensive Rookie of the Year: Brandon Allen (comes in after Blake drops 50 and plays 2nd half)
Defensive Rookie of the Year: Kevin Dodd (loljk) Jaylon Smith
Comeback Player of the Year: Peyton Manning
Coach of the Year: Papa John

Foxy got a 4-3 OLB who should've been a second rounder at best and made him a 3-4 OLB who plays like a board of driftwood. Best case scenario he has a dominant line around him that allows him to be a poor man's Aldon Smith for a year or two.

Call it armchair scout all you want but there is a reason why players get drafted in the first round and are out of the league by the end of their first contract. But would every pick in the first round be a "great pick" according to you?

If you want to disagree with me, do it because you've paid enough attention to know the player through and through. Don't ride your old coach's dick because he got a pass rusher who looks like a skinny middle school kid hitting a growth spurt. He will snapped in half by NFL linemen.

They said the same thing about Thomas Davis.

No, to the bolded part. I just think two NFL front offices, (Giants wanted him too), have way more weight than some guy. Draft is a crapshoot, so armchair scouts are bound to be right quite often.

What I find funny is people who are so certain x player is a bust that despite the fact that two NFL FOs thought he was a top-ten pick, his "best-case scenario" is a dominant line allowing him to be an above average pass rusher for a bit.

If its that obvious, how do at least two NFL FOs miss it and a guy- who's never had a job related to pro football in his life- see it?

Edited by Thanatos

MVP: Russell Wilson. 13-3 Seahawks, Wilson throws for 4k, runs for nearly 1k. Easy pick.

OPOTY: The Same, unless they want to give the award to someone else for the feel goods. In which case Antonio Brown will be the runner up

DPOTY: JJ Watt until he retires.

OROTY: Corey Coleman, shock the world, shock the monkey.

DROTY: Reggie Ragland. ATL shook levels off the chart.

Coach of the Year: Dirk Koetter for getting the Bucs into the playoffs somehow.

They said the same thing about Thomas Davis.

The fact you're comparing two guys who are completely different just proves you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Every player is different.

The fact you're comparing two guys who are completely different just proves you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Every player is different.

And compared to professionals who do it for a living- and their job literally relies on it- and thus spend a gargantuan amount of time on it, neither do you.

Let's put it like this. It's like a professional League of Legends player vs an amateur League player. If I, being a casual player, am going to look at someone solely for advice on how to make my own game better, I'm going to go with the pro player. Does this mean the amateur is always wrong? No, of course not. He may even have insights that are better in some cases than the pros. But on balance, on average, the pro player is right more than the amateur. Those amateurs for whom that is not the case end up moving into the pro scene themselves.

Cherry, I have no issue with you liking certain players and disliking others. Obviously, since I do the same. What I do have an issue with is you acting it's all but certain he will bust because of physical characteristics, and as if people who disagree with your statement are stupid.

Let's say you are scouting this guy.

He's 6'5", weighs 242 pounds, and plays DE or OLB. He went to college at James Madison and fell to the 4th round because of his concerns about his size and his ability to hold up to physical punishment.

The man's name is Charles Haley.

Obviously Floyd is not Haley merely because they both are similar physically, (6'5" vs 6'6", 242 pounds vs 244 pounds), in characteristics and both play the same position. But acting like the mere fact that Leonard Floyd is currently a bit on the lean side automatically means his highest possible upside is a poor man's Aldon Smith and that only stupid people think otherwise is silly and dare I say, arrogant.

No, to the bolded part. I just think two NFL front offices, (Giants wanted him too), have way more weight than some guy. Draft is a crapshoot, so armchair scouts are bound to be right quite often.

What I find funny is people who are so certain x player is a bust that despite the fact that two NFL FOs thought he was a top-ten pick, his "best-case scenario" is a dominant line allowing him to be an above average pass rusher for a bit.

If its that obvious, how do at least two NFL FOs miss it and a guy- who's never had a job related to pro football in his life- see it?

If all 32 NFL front offices were more accurate than "some guy" they'd never get a first round pick wrong. Everyone has blunders and everyone has gems. But discounting the opinion of someone solely because they aren't an NFL scout is silly.

If you're dismissing me because "Oh well you're bound to be right sometimes cause draft is a crapshoot" you don't understand the draft in the slightest. It isn't throwing shit at the wall and hoping it sticks. There is a lot of work put into it. I don't have nearly the body of work to push my own credibility, due to the fact I've been only scouting for a few years. But I have shown my explanations and breakdowns of players on a level that would be warranting discussion, even if you don't trust my analysis entirely.

Those teams bought him on potential, and even they would tell you that. He's an athletic freak. A 6'6" guy with great length. He has the potential to be special. But he has zero pass-rushing technique and gets tossed like a bitch frequently. If we're speaking solely on what Floyd could become in 5 years, sure he has the potential to be good. But as a rookie barring some miracle he isn't developed technically enough to dominate straight out of the gate (with the exception of that D-line going crazy, as I said).

Different people have different takes. Someone is going to love Floyd due to his potential. Someone is going to hate him due to his game being so raw. Is my opinion the end all be all? No, but I'll give my argument against Floyd all day and all night. I saw some reports of team scouts thinking he was barely a day 2 pick if not a day 3 pick. I saw some saying he was a top 5 talent. He was all across boards.

You want to discredit me on Floyd because I haven't been in an NFL front office (Note: I'm not even 18 yet so the odds of me getting there by now were slim) yet you haven't put in anywhere close to the time any of the "armchair scouts" have watching these prospects.

It's like saying you don't understand football because you watched the game on Sundays but you're not part of an NFL office. The Panthers are a terrible team, says the NFL GM. Is he right? Is he infallible? Of course not. Nobody is. That's why we have these discussions.

If you want to argue Floyd will be good because of his potential or his athleticism I will go back and forth as long as you want. But bring me substance, not your blind dismissal because I'm not an NFL GM.

Edited by Chernobyl426

And compared to professionals who do it for a living- and their job literally relies on it- and thus spend a gargantuan amount of time on it, neither do you.

Let's put it like this. It's like a professional League of Legends player vs an amateur League player. If I, being a casual player, am going to look at someone solely for advice on how to make my own game better, I'm going to go with the pro player. Does this mean the amateur is always wrong? No, of course not. He may even have insights that are better in some cases than the pros. But on balance, on average, the pro player is right more than the amateur. Those amateurs for whom that is not the case end up moving into the pro scene themselves.

Cherry, I have no issue with you liking certain players and disliking others. Obviously, since I do the same. What I do have an issue with is you acting it's all but certain he will bust because of physical characteristics, and as if people who disagree with your statement are stupid.

Let's say you are scouting this guy.

He's 6'5", weighs 242 pounds, and plays DE or OLB. He went to college at James Madison and fell to the 4th round because of his concerns about his size and his ability to hold up to physical punishment.

The man's name is Charles Haley.

Obviously Floyd is not Haley merely because they both are similar physically, (6'5" vs 6'6", 242 pounds vs 244 pounds), in characteristics and both play the same position. But acting like the mere fact that Leonard Floyd is currently a bit on the lean side automatically means his highest possible upside is a poor man's Aldon Smith and that only stupid people think otherwise is silly and dare I say, arrogant.

Yes, people who do this for a living watch more tape than a 17 year old. That's quite obvious. It doesn't discount my opinion, or make it less valuable, because many times these people who do it for a living get it wrong as well. Everyone brings a different strategy, or a different take into how they scout. Some people like to scout entirely based on potential. I like to scout based on how a player looks coming out of college. Some people use a mix. It just depends. If I have the exact same board as an NFL team does, am I somehow still not equal? I have the same board as these people that you view so highly.

Again, if you wanted to believe that every pro scouting is better than every amateur, I think you're just being silly. There are misses and hits for everyone. Everyone sees players differently. Take my opinion on Ezekiel Elliott vs how Dmac and basically every NFL pundit saw it. We argued over how good Elliott was. His running vision. Speed. Strength. Power through tackles. And we both ended up disagreeing after that. That's okay. There is nothing wrong with disagreeing. But if you can't form an actual argument as to why you disagree, why argue? You're not forming a legitimate argument against my hatred of Leonard Floyd, just piggybacking on an NFL FO. It doesn't work. I watched the same tape as the people scouting Floyd professionally did. I saw the same things. I just perceived them differently. Watch Floyd play and come to your own conclusions.

I'm acting like people who discredit me because I'm not a professional scout are stupid. I don't have an issue with you liking Floyd if you watch the tape and give me YOUR opinion. What I have an issue with is being told I'm wrong simply because I'm not in an NFL office.

You can't compare guys based on size alone. I didn't give the Aldon Smith comparison based on size. Smith weighed around 20 pounds heavier at the combine, but was two inches shorter. I gave the comparison of a guy who was underdeveloped from a technical standpoint and was rather weak at the point of attack in run defense. Smith was able to generate pressure a lot early on due to how good that 49ers defense was. He was never a well-rounded player, but he did draw attention due to his excellent athletic ability and insane ability to get around the edge. I don't like giving comparisons to players anyways, because it really does a disservice to how unique every player is. They all have their quirks.

I don't hate on him solely because he is on the lean side. I've never been the type to give a shit about height, weight, or speed. If a guy can play a guy can play. I wouldn't mind it if he looked a lot more like the dominant Aldon Smith we saw on the 49ers team that was storming the NFL. But he didn't. He couldn't get around the edge. He couldn't hold up in run defense. He was an average tackler at best even at 4-3 OLB. He just did not work at all as a pass-rusher. Now, if someone wants to watch the tape and disagree entirely with me, I will accept that. I'll break down how I see the tape and explain my views as much as possible, but I can't do that when I'm wholesomely discredited because I'm not a professional scout.

It is you who is doing the blind dismissing and making the concrete statements of your opinion as if they are fact, my friend, not I.

As I said several times, but clearly you only like to cherry pick what fits your argument, I'm not dismissing your opinion out of hand, I am merely drawing attention to the fact that you seem to be 100% certain Floyd is a bust. I am pointing out that if at least two NFL FOs think he's worth a top-10 pick, maybe, just maybe, it's not so 100% certain that he is going to bust.

The draft IS a crap shoot. That's why something like 40-50% of first round picks end up a bust. And yet year after year draftniks and armchair scouts act like they actually know something and ignore the fact that last year they were wrong on half the picks. But they just conveniently forgot about that and parrot the same things about how this guy is sure to be a star, and this guy is likely a bust over and over again, as if we all forgot they were saying the same things about guys the year before and were wrong on half of them.

If I went down the list of first rounders and flipped a coin, heads- bust, tails- decent starter at the least- I'll bet that I would be in the same neighborhood as the average scout.

Edited by Thanatos

MVP: Aaron Rodgers - no creativity, but with Jordy back this year I think he goes back to showing that he's the best in the business

OPOTY: Cam Newton - I think as a team the Panthers will regress a bit (I still see them winning the NFCS with 11ish wins, so don't go crazy on that comment) and the Packers will be better, so I think the team record and passing numbers will give Rodgers MVP, but Cam will have too good of a season to ignore so split the difference

DPOTY: JJ Watt - again, no creativity, but when as DPOTY ever been about creativity? it's hard to get media attention as a defensive player and that's what determines awards, Watt already has that so until he slows down he's going to keep winning

OROTY: Ezekiel Elliot - he's gonna get a lot of carries behind one of the best olines in the NFL, his numbers will be impossible to ignore

DROTY: Shaq Lawson - in the Ryan-squared defense he's got potential to go nuts

CPOTY: Robert Griffin III - I went back and forth on Nelson and Benjamin, then realized RG3 is the perfect candidate, if he can lead the Browns to a halfway decent season that'll be such a good story I think he'll get it

OPotY: Cam Newton
DPotY: Aaron Donald (I feel he will progress into an absoloute monster this year)
ORotY: Laquon Treadwell
DRotY: DeForest Bucker (Yes it's a homer pick but I rate him)
CotY: Mike McCarthy
CBPotY: JPP (Would also expect Jordy here but JPP returns with a bang after the horrific hand injury)

CBPotY: JPP (Would also expect Jordy here but JPP returns with a bang after the horrific hand injury)

i-see-what-you-did-there.png

I agree with oochymp's statement that if RG3 leads the Browns, to around 8-8ish, he gets the award. I personally don't see that happening, but QBs will always take precedence in voters eyes.

i-see-what-you-did-there.png

Thought you'd appreciate that Fart

• Upvote 1

I agree with oochymp's statement that if RG3 leads the Browns, to around 8-8ish, he gets the award. I personally don't see that happening, but QBs will always take precedence in voters eyes.

it's not just QBs taking precedence, though that is a factor, even without that there's no better redemptive story set up than a downtrodden player joining a downtrodden team, if the Browns are respectable and RG3 is a big part of that it'd be a storyline that the media would absolutely love, I agree that it's a longshot, but comeback player of the year should look like a longshot at this stage

MVP: Teddy Bridgewater

OPotY: Teddy Bridgewater

DPotY: Teddy Bridgewater

ORotY: Teddy Bridgewater

DRotY: Myles Jack... jk Teddy Bridgewater

CotY: Teddy Bridgewater

Edited by OSUViking

^ We're looking for award winners, not the guy who is gonna hold your team back the most.