Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Science Is A Hoax

you just proved my point. all you are doing is repeating 3rd party jibberish you were told. You have no fucking idea where the sun is or for that matter what it actually is.

see..you prove my point again...you are taught to call anything crazy that you dont understand or cant intellectually rebut. You are a product of the system. I am the only actual free thinker.

"

the degree means you were taught a defined for you form of logic by someone else.

lol you have a degree in Philosophy and you call me crazy for actually thinking outside boundaries given to you?

you miss the entire point.

raising logical hell doesnt mean I think something is unanswerable. It means that people are taught how and what to think in a wrong,subservient fashion and are told answers are correct that cant even be proven to be correct.

you are already in the wrong by telling me your degree makes you an authority on anything.

it just means you passed a class telling another teacher what he wanted to hear. You were a good boy and got a good grade.

Philosophy doesnt teach you how to question logic or authority, or you wouldnt be calling me crazy.

think about that.....

occam's razor,

The razor's statement that "other things being equal, simpler explanations are generally better than more complex ones"

how do you know whether this wasnt taught as a way to dumb people down and not question anything while more complex but easily recognizable stuff is being done around them?

if a tree falls in the forest ,does it make a sound? this teaches you to make assumptions.

how do you even know anything fell or if trees are there? etc.

you are relying on third party faith that anything even happened

I know exactly what the sun is and a general idea of where it is. This isn't rocket science, you can prove where the sun is yourself. Okay, well, maybe not you personally, but a person with even average IQ level, which based on your posts, it really doesn't seem like you have. It doesn't take a genius and it doesn't take advanced materials. They figured out how far away the sun was- within 3% of its actual location- in the 2nd century BC.

Not to mention, we have photographs from space that show where the sun is. We have robots and vehicles that have entered space and took said photographs

Am I assuming there is not some vast conspiracy that, for some unknown reason, is trying to hide the fact that the sun is not where we think it is? Yes, I do, because there are no conspiracies with that many people involved. It isn't possible. Someone would break. Not to mention, again, you can prove, approximately, where the sun is using parallax, a decent telescope, and basic algebra.

As for the rest of it, I give you an F.

I admit, you put some effort into stringing together that much bullshit. I wonder, were you able to keep a straight face while typing that pure garbage?

You also have zero reading comprehension. I was not arguing that my degree made me an authority. You said you could walk into a philosophy classroom and raise logical hell because the teacher wouldn't know how to answer.

I am putting myself in the place of a teacher- citing my credentials to prove that I can indeed take his place- and inviting you to a hypothetical scenario where I am teaching and you are entering my classroom. Raise logical hell. Let me see if I can answer you, as you claim.

Edited by Thanatos

I have a master's degree in Philosophy. I have taught philosophy. Ask me something you think is unanswerable in that field. Go ahead. Raise "logical hell."

Accepting the existence of an all-powerful, all-knowing, benevolent God, similar to the one in Christianity as a priori:

Could such a God create a chicken wing so spicy that he couldn't handle it?

Q.E.D.

by calling me crazy you have proven that what you call free thought was defined for you.

I'm not whipping my dick out and slapping it against the board yelling that the Sun is only a few hundred miles away, therefore I am not a free thinker.

• Upvote 1

Right now I'm imagining PhilElliot going into a philosophy class. My rendition:

"Alright class now please open your books to pag-"

"STOP THIS RIGHT HERE! I'm gonna drop some logic bombs on you! How can you know something if you've never seen it? Even if you have seen it, how can you trust your eyes to be real? Think, don't repeat!"

"Who are you, and why are you here?"

"Whats that?! Can't handle my knowledge? You guys are a bunch of sheep, man. You need to read less and understand more. PhilElliot out!"

"...that was weird"

• Upvote 2

*jerks off to tree falling in woods*

BUT HOW DO YOU KNOW IT FELL THO

Is Phil Elliot making reference to Bertrand Russell with his arguments? The whole sense data thing? I kind of doubt it since he's saying Philosophy doesn't teach us to question things. I will say though that a lot of professors try to imprint their own ideas on students. In almost every humanities subject.

College certainly promotes free thinking more than grade school. It's just unfortunate that a majority of kids are too far gone into the BS of public education to truly have real free thinking in college.

I do think its interesting that everyone here thinks the public school system forces everyone to be non-thinking conformists, but they're the ones who happened to see through it...

I do think its interesting that everyone here thinks the public school system forces everyone to be non-thinking conformists, but they're the ones who happened to see through it...

It's actually an undeniable fact if you know anything about the history of public education and how/why it was founded in this country. A guy named Horace Mann persuaded business owners that it would be a good way to control the masses regiment their minds and manipulate public opinion while he also told the public it would be the great equalizer. He saw the system they had in Prussia at the time and thought it was a great model to control public opinion. This isn't coming from some bullshit website either. I've seen/read actual newspapers the guy printed saying all this stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZp7eVJNJuw

Mann's idea's actually came from Johan Fichte who was responsible for a lot of ideas that would become the 3rd reich and our public education and propaganda systems where a big reason why Hitler and the Nazi's really admired our government. It's lost in history but there was actually a lot of support for the Nazi's in America.

Edited by seanbrock
  • Upvote 1

how many intersex people you know personally? you dont know any. You got that crap from an article/third party, you cant even prove first hand is actual or real.

What type of moronic worldview do you live in, bud? Is everything you can't see or touch not real? Intersex is a well-documented phenomenon. It is extremely rare, 1 in 2 million people. But it definitely exists and has been documented by numerous scientific studies. I don't really care to look at pictures that prove it to be the case, cause that shit is rather weird, but they are out there if you want to go looking for them.

Edited by Thanatos

Accepting the existence of an all-powerful, all-knowing, benevolent God, similar to the one in Christianity as a priori:

Could such a God create a chicken wing so spicy that he couldn't handle it?

Q.E.D.

The way this question is normally phrased is "Could God create a rock so large he can't lift it?" and has actually been utilized many times by atheists. It's a poor argument IMO.

The answer is no, he could not. It is based on a misunderstanding of omnipotence or all-powerfulness. Omnipotence does not mean God could do anything, it means God can do anything that is possible to do. This is an impossible task, and thus God cannot do it. Much in the same way, God cannot make a shape both a triangle and a square at once, as this is a logical impossibility.

I'm impressed there are a decent amount of people on here that aren't brainless tools. Unfortunately, out in the real world I'm surrounded by these people who already have their views on the world, science, politics, religion, etc. set in stone and are not interesting in learning and discovering but trying to prove their own opinions and beliefs right. Sometimes being proven wrong is a beautiful and uplifting thing, it's how you learn and grow. Being stubborn and not accepting new ideas and discoveries is how you get a herd of sheep.

• Upvote 2

where did I say everyone? I asked for a specific you obviously cant provide.

provide for me the first hand proof. You are relying on third party belief in something with no evidence its real.

prove to me every article youve ever read and believe is actually the honest truth about any topic.

you cant and never will be able to do it one single time.

it doesnt definitely exist. You believe it does,nothing more.

Lmao.

You are such a complete and utter moron. Michael Phelps- I'm sure you know who he is- has a girlfriend who is intersex. She was born with both genitalia and her parents chose to raise her as male until she was old enough to decide otherwise. I'm sure her story and all of the below are just products of some vast conspiracy, though, right?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3043767/I-exist-gray-29-year-old-looks-like-woman-male-genitalia-speaks-rare-intersex-condition.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maddie_Blaustein

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/true-stories/born-intersex-the-people-who-are-biologically-neither-male-nor-female/news-story/5bd9ce6debf9c8b4ab7ca919fb04526c

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/01/malika-gaudin-delrieu_n_5063445.html

you dont possess the most basic critical thinking skills.

How in the hell does a picture prove the fucking distance of 93 million miles?

You have no idea what the hell you are talking about. Have you ever actually traveled 93 million miles anywhere? No you havent. You have no first hand proof where the sun is nor does any scientist on this earth.

you base your entire existence on 3rd party faith of everything you think you know.

you said yourself, you are coincidence theorist ie youll believe anything anyone tells you.

You dont stop to question anything.

Reading whatever you want to online and assuming its true if it backs up your delusional conspiracy theories is not critical thinking. Its the exact fucking opposite. Critical thinking is CRITIQUING an idea before accepting it. Having an open mind does not mean that your mind is nothing more than a gutter that any old idea can fall into. You have to question things, like why would there be some vast conspiracy to prevent us from knowing the sun is much closer than 93 million miles? What's the point? What is gained? Does it at all jive with anything we know about math and science? Is it easily proved false by someone taking a weather balloon up with a GoPro camera on it? Oh it is! And guess what! Thousands of people have done this and the sun is not waiting for them right above the clouds. Jesus Christ.

I can prove the sun is ~93 million miles away using basic math that you learn in highschool. I can physically do this. I have, in fact, physically done this myself, in person, not relying on any faith in any 3rd party. It only requires a basic understanding of trigonometry and a telescope. I don't know if you've even taken trig- I tend to doubt that someone who is as stupid as you are could have gotten through highschool- but surely, surely, you understand how to solve for one of a triangle's sides if you know the other two sides. That's literally all it takes. You find Venus, you know where Venus is relative to the earth from scientific observation, using Kepler's law you know how far away it is from the sun based on how long Venus takes to orbit the Sun. Which we know from repeated observations. Voila. You have your two sides- Venus to the Sun and Venus to the Earth. Now earth to the Sun is your 3rd side and is easily solved for.

Not to mention there is more than one reason why we know where the sun is. We have ships that have been out there and can see it- unless you're arguing NASA is just housing one big conspiracy for the purpose of... I don't even know.

We can measure how far away it is because we know the heat it puts out.

Why don't you stop this utter nonsense and tell me what you actually believe. Is the sun right above earth and much smaller than we think it is? Is that really what you're arguing?

Edited by Thanatos

Phil, are you a young-earth creationist? Because you use the exact same rationale as them.

• Upvote 2

God damn I knew this moron sounded familiar. You are entirely correct.

I think it some point you have to put your trust in 3rd party sources of knowledge. As somebody who isn't honestly smart enough or good enough at math to be an astro physicist I have to trust that scientists know what they're talking about. I do know basically what qualifies as scientific because I know how to look at sources and I know what controls and variables are in experimentation so if something is obviously bs. I can identify it, but I just don't have the background info to really go against what people who have put years and years of study into say.

I will say though that there is some truth to what PhilElliot is saying and just dismissing and insulting him isn't very intellectual. Some of these responses to the admittedly questionable things he's said is sort of childish when you guys are trying to present yourselves as scholars or whatever.

but the world is round come on lol. If you're coming at them with the sense data Cartesian/Russell angle and just having trouble articulating your pov Phil I give you credit though.

You give Phil waaaay too much credit. There is no sense data angle. He's just an idiot.

There is almost zero basis to what he is claiming.

sean you really think someone who doesn't know the basic definition of philosophy is using some sophisticated method of discussion? Phil is speaking in absolutes and generalizations here just like he is in the education thread. It is in fact good practice to doubt things as much as you are able to... but there comes a point when the doubt stops. If I say grass is green, you are free to disagree all you want until you go outside and see it for yourself.. only to see I was right.

Also Phil is 100% pushing the idea that you have to have all original ideas to be a free-thinker. In that case he once again contradicts his own idea. None of the ideas he has presented in any thread here are his own original ideas. He's not the first person to think literally everything is a conspiracy. We have people on this very site who actually believe something similar.

What makes a freethinker is not his beliefs but the way in which he holds them. If he holds them because his elders told him they were true when he was young, or if he holds them because if he did not he would be unhappy, his thought is not free; but if he holds them because, after careful thought he finds a balance of evidence in their favour, then his thought is free, however odd his conclusions may seem.

- Bertrand Russell

So, Phil, you can give up this notion that people who believe the position of the sun aren't free-thinkers. It's about a careful weighing of the evidence presented. If you have encountered, in your enlightened state, any evidence that lends credibility to the sun being somewhere other than where us conformists think, let's see your evidence... You want to discredit everything people think without presenting any ideas of your own. It doesn't work that way even if you want it to. Sorry bud. If you want to be edgy and make a statement, then make one.

Let the record show this will now be the 2nd time Phil has been openly challenged. He ignored the first one.

• Upvote 2

you dont possess the most basic critical thinking skills.

How in the hell does a picture prove the fucking distance of 93 million miles?

You have no idea what the hell you are talking about. Have you ever actually traveled 93 million miles anywhere? No you havent. You have no first hand proof where the sun is nor does any scientist on this earth.

you base your entire existence on 3rd party faith of everything you think you know.

you said yourself, you are coincidence theorist ie youll believe anything anyone tells you.

You dont stop to question anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozfGeGYe-lY

• Upvote 1