DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

The trade idea I heard was Okafor for Bledsoe. The 76ers really need a point guard.

They're pretty likely to get one in the draft. Bledsoe is a good defensive PG but I don't like him as a shooter. I wouldn't be opposed to that at all though. I think that's probably the best return possible for Okafor at this point. His defensive limitations at this point are pretty evident and he's kind of a shitty rebounder. He's like a flashier version of David Lee at the moment.

He's averaging 18.8 ppg 6.8 rpg 2.3 bpg in 22 minutes a night. He's turning the ball over too much and not shooting a great percentage but this dude is just getting his legs under him. Finally it's exciting to be a Sixers fan again. He's so good he's made Noel and Okafor irrelevant. He's got the potential to be better than Noel on defense and be far far far better than Okafor offensively. If Ben Simmons is as good as advertised the Sixers still have two potentially very high lottery picks with a potential Sacramento pick swap. Sixers are once again a free agent destination.

His field goal % is a little low for a big man, but overall he's still scoring pretty efficiently. Getting to the free throw line at an incredible rate, and attempting around 8 a game is amazing when you consider the minute cap. Those turnovers aren't good tho

So while some good games were on in the NFL this Sunday, the same occurred in the NBA. I saw the end of the OKC game, and Westbrook and Ibaka were trading blows till Ibaka hit the game winner.

And the no defense game between the Suns and Warriors was a lot of fun as well.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

My dream scenario

Philly Trades Nerlens Noel, Our first round pick or the Lakers pick and some future picks to the Warriors

Philly trades Jahlil Okafor and Dario Saric to Boston

Boston Trades Avery Bradley and to the Warriors

The Sixers get Klay Thompson and Andre Igoudala

This trade gives the Warriors a ton of cap flexibility, rim protection a guy to replace Klay Thompson to where they don't lose too much at shooting guard. That starting line up is absolutely the best starting line up in the league and it gives them the opportunity to add a bench piece to replace Igoudala at a much better price.

The Sixers give up a lot in this trade, but they get the elite 3 and D player that fits in PERFECTLY with Simmons and Embiid and still have the opportunity to draft a good player in the up coming draft class. Andre Igoudala comes back to Philly and immediately provides a much needed veteran presence.

Boston essential swaps Avery Bradley for Okafor and Saric and possibly one of the Sixers future picks if that would help make the deal work.

I really think everyone would win in this trade.

Warriors aren't gonna hurt this team for the sake of future draft picks. They're in win-now mode.

Warriors aren't gonna hurt this team for the sake of future draft picks. They're in win-now mode.

I'm not sure that trade really hurts the Warriors this year. Avery Bradley gives them shooting and perimeter defense and Nerlens Noel is about as perfect a fit as you can imagine for the Warriors. He gives them elite rim protection, he's a good passer and he can provide transition buckets and easy dunks with his athleticism. Moving two big contracts gives them room to bring in another bench piece to fill in for Iggy too.

Interesting trade, looks good on paper but it would probably be too much change for GS. If they are in win now mode, a trade like this could present major synergy problems.

If they pulled the trigger now they'd have a lot of time to gel...

TIL: The word posse is racist.

https://deadspin.com/lebrons-agent-angry-at-phil-jackson-for-saying-lebron-h-1788998550

During an interview with ESPN in which Knicks president Phil Jackson criticized LeBron James’s alleged attitude of entitlement during his tenure with the Heat, Jackson at one point referred to James’s group of friends as a “posse.” Maverick Carter, James’s friend and business partner, did not like that.

Here’s Jackson’s original statement from Monday’s interview that Carter took issue with:

“It had to hurt when [the Heat] lost LeBron,” Jackson said. “That was definitely a slap in the face. But there were a lot of little things that came out of that. When LeBron was playing with the Heat, they went to Cleveland, and he wanted to spend the night. They don’t do overnights. Teams just don’t. So now [coach Erik] Spoelstra has to text Riley and say, ‘What do I do in this situation?’ And Pat, who has iron-fist rules, answers, ‘You are on the plane. You are with this team.’ You can’t hold up the whole team because you and your mom and your posse want to spend an extra night in Cleveland.

“I always thought Pat had this really nice vibe with his guys. But something happened there where it broke down. I do know LeBron likes special treatment. He needs things his way.”

Carter initially responded with a couple tweets critical of Jackson’s word usage:

https://twitter.com/mavcarter/status/798293856487809024

Carter must not have noticed that he chose the historical definition of posse up there, nor that the word is hardly ever used in that fashion today, let alone in a racially coded manner, because he doubled down on his interpretation in his comments to ESPN today:

“I don’t care that he talks about LeBron,” Maverick Carter told ESPN.com. “He could say he’s not that good or the greatest in the world as a basketball player. I wouldn’t care. It’s the word ‘posse’ and the characterization I take offense to. If he would have said LeBron and his agent, LeBron and his business partners or LeBron and his friends, that’s one thing. Yet because you’re young and black, he can use that word. We’re grown men.”

Sure, “posse” does have a slightly more negative connotation than “friends” or even “entourage,” but it’s not like Jackson referred to James and his crew as a posse in the course of their business endeavors. He was talking about them wanting to hang out and party in their home city. Thus, we declare this a reach.

Update [11:55 p.m.]: And now comes LeBron himself with some comments on Jackson:

https://twitter.com/mcten/status/798566571190972417

[ESPN]

Correction: An earlier version of this post, including the headline, misidentified Carter as LeBron’s agent. Rich Paul is LeBron’s agent. Carter and LeBron co-founded the marketing agency LRMR. Sorry for the error.

Edited by Vin
  • Upvote 1

Lol LeBron is such an asshole. Jackson is pretty much univerally loved by his players but he's a racist? Granted LeBron didn't actually say he was racist but this is completely ridiculous and unfounded.

• Upvote 1

Has posse ever had a racial connotation to it? Not in my neck of the woods, but maybe that is my white privilege talking.

• Upvote 2

I can see the reason why James and his group of associates would take a great amount of offense with the label. I'm not sure if I'd conclude that Jackson was being racist, but he was definitely trolling, or trying to be condescending.

At best calling them posses makes it sound like they are a bunch of groupies leaching off Lebron without contributing much, at worse makes them sound like a gang of armed men serving someone.

When you consider how much he, and his business group have done, how far they've come, not just for Lebron's brand, but for the community and other athletes, it's pretty insulting.

I can see the reason why James and his group of associates would take a great amount of offense with the label. I'm not sure if I'd conclude that Jackson was being racist, but he was definitely trolling, or trying to be condescending.

At best calling them posses makes it sound like they are a bunch of groupies leaching off Lebron without contributing much, at worse makes them sound like a gang of armed men serving someone.

When you consider how much he, and his business group have done, how far they've come, not just for Lebron's brand, but for the community and other athletes, it's pretty insulting.

Lebron, in his comments say to look at the definition in the dictionary...

a group of people who have a common characteristic, occupation, or purpose.

a group of people who socialize together, especially to go to clubs or raves.

Maybe if Phil said "gang" .. but Lebron indeed has a posse, lmao.

• Upvote 1

But we've seen LeBron wants to be the coach and the GM and we've seen that he demands special treatment. LeBron deserves credit for what he does with community outreach and charity, but lets not act like the guy doesn't have a massive ego. That's all Phil is saying here and he's not wrong.

Whether Phil was being racist in his comments or condescending, and insulting are two different issues. I do think it's the latter, as Jackson has in the past used the word posse to describe them as just entourage.

As I already said, I disagree with this being racist, although I'm also not in the business of telling people what and how to be offended by things.

It's pretty clear that they -Rich Paul, Maverick, etc- don't like being cast off as his "crew", "entourage", or "posse", and neither does Lebron. They want to be regarded as business partners, business associates, etc.

Lebron thinks that the reason they aren't perceived as serious business partners -which is what they are- is because they're black. I don't personally agree, but it isn't unreasonable for him to suspect that.

Yeah, I don't really understand the racial aspect of this one.

If the term posse is racist, we might as well all go back to school.

I feel like the race card is being thrown around way too loosely these days. In some cases, it's deserved, but this isn't one.

Also, I may be late on this one but I was in California on business all week and it was nice to see Serge Ibaka go off for a career game and hit a game winner against the Thunder. I'm not sure how the Magic are 6-7 right now honestly. This team is a complete mess with spare parts all over the place and the whole Aaron Gordon at the three idea is already looking like a mistake. I think Rob Hennigan needs to be fired at the end of the season, but we may actually sneak in the playoffs as an 8th seed and he'll get an extension or something.