Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Chiefs Release Jeremy Maclin

Count this as one less target for Alex Smith.

The Chiefs have released wide receiver Jeremy Maclin, the team announced.

"I'd like to thank Jeremy for his effort and dedication the past two seasons," Chiefs general manager John Dorsey said in a statement released by the team. "I have great respect for all players, which makes decisions like these very difficult, but we felt it was in the best interest of our club moving forward to part ways at this time. We wish Jeremy the best as he continues his career."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000812941/article/chiefs-release-wide-receiver-jeremy-maclin

Wow. And.. who saw this coming?

Andy Reid went to Maclin's wedding two weeks ago. Tough business, man.

Yup, and a big reason he left Philly to begin with. Chiefs were right up against the cap, so I am sure that's what it is about, but the timing is pretty lame. Almost wish it were done earlier before the Packers took a bunch of WR and shored up the position for the future in the draft.

Yup, and a big reason he left Philly to begin with. Chiefs were right up against the cap, so I am sure that's what it is about, but the timing is pretty lame. Almost wish it were done earlier before the Packers took a bunch of WR and shored up the position for the future in the draft.

I'm sure a lot of teams feel that way. Couldn't the Chiefs have cut him months earlier but designated him a post-June-1st cut or something?

Yeah, the timing is absolutely terrible for Maclin. Teams already have their rosters set for how they want to go into training camp and as mentioned before they already addressed needs with the draft.

Now Maclin is likely going to have to settle for a cheap one year deal with some team he had no intention of playing with this year.

Chiefs have a very inexperienced but very quick/fast WR corps...

I smell the end for Alex Smith.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5169/jeremy-maclin

Chiefs QB Alex Smith was "shocked" at free agent Jeremy Maclins release.

Smith also suggested Maclins injuries played a role in his career worst 2016. Losing Maclin is a downgrade to Kansas Citys offense, but he wasnt much of a factor when on the field last year. Maclin shouldnt come close to the $12.4 million he was owed from the Chiefs and could have to settle for Robert Woods money ($6.8M per year). The Ravens, Bills, and Eagles are among the teams that have been linked to Maclin.

Chiefs have a very inexperienced but very quick/fast WR corps...

I smell the end for Alex Smith.

Mahomes wagon!

I don't know what their cap situation is like, but from a need and quality of team perspective I think the Panthers would be a great fit.

I will say this, If the Bills want to sign him they CANNOT let him leave Buffalo. If he does he will wear purple and Black. We have cut Kyle Arrington which brings out cap space to about 4 million, releasing dennis pitta will put us around 7, and we have a lot of dead money falling off next year.

I would be cool with Maclin just so long as Perriman gets to prove the hype is real or it is just hype so we know what we have going into next year.

Appearing on Adam Schefter's Know Them From Adam podcast, Jeremy Maclin revealed he played through a torn groin in 2016.

Until now, the nature of Maclin's groin issue wasn't known. Maclin injured his groin two snaps into Week 9, missed the next four games, and was held under 30 yards in 3-of-5 games to end the year. Since his release from the Chiefs, some have said Maclin "lost a step" last season, understandable considering he was playing with a groin tear. Maclin didn't need surgery and said he is now 100 percent.