Sarge

Why/When did you become a fan of your team?

Found this thread and I wanted to bring it back to life. I have kind of an intersting story.

My dad was born and raised in Wisconsin, and his dad taught him to be a Packer fan like the rest of his family and friends. He moved down here to Illinois to pursue better job opportunities and married my mom, who had been living here for most of her life.

My mom watched football some, and cheered for the Bears, but my dad bought me lots of Packers stuff and even taught me (at about 2 years old) to give a thumbs up when I heard the word "Packers" and to stick my toung out when I heard the word "Bears." This being said, I was a Packer fan from a very young age.

As I grew up, though, I realized that most of my friends liked the Bears, since they were the local team. I also enjoyed the rebellious feeling of cheering against my dad's team. I am not sure at what age it happened, but I declared myself a Bears fan, and I have been one ever since.

Found this thread and I wanted to bring it back to life. I have kind of an intersting story.

My dad was born and raised in Wisconsin, and his dad taught him to be a Packer fan like the rest of his family and friends. He moved down here to Illinois to pursue better job opportunities and married my mom, who had been living here for most of her life.

My mom watched football some, and cheered for the Bears, but my dad bought me lots of Packers stuff and even taught me (at about 2 years old) to give a thumbs up when I heard the word "Packers" and to stick my toung out when I heard the word "Bears." This being said, I was a Packer fan from a very young age.

As I grew up, though, I realized that most of my friends liked the Bears, since they were the local team. I also enjoyed the rebellious feeling of cheering against my dad's team. I am not sure at what age it happened, but I declared myself a Bears fan, and I have been one ever since.

Peer pressure is a bitch, ain't it.

I grew up a Cowboys fan, since I grew up in Texas (from age 9), didn't care for the way the whole Landry gig went down. Couldn't make myself like the Oilers, even though I was a fan of Warren Moon...

I was born in Kansas, kin in Missouri and Kansas, plus I found out the Chiefs were the original Texas team, so I switched to the Chiefs...

Pretty simple, Dad grew up in Wisconsin and was a Packer fan through all the terrible times. Growing up, there were Packer decorations everywhere and the 1996 Superbowl was the first game I watched completely. Stuck with the Packers ever since.

I was born in the Cleveland area and raised by a family of Browns fans who made sure I never strayed off the path. I'm in too deep to look back now.

I've lived in Wisconsin my whole life, so I guess I was bound to become a Packers fan at some point or another lol. I think I was about eight years old when my aunt yelled in my ear during a Packers game. I've been paying attention ever since and I've always been a Packers fan through the good and the bad.

I was born in and grew up a few miles from DC, and I was born with Burgundy and Gold Blood. I have always lived and bled Redskins football.

R.I.P My Hero Great Grandpa Morris (Red) Badgro (Dec. 1st 1902-July 13th 1998)

Passed at the age of 95

New York Football Giants

National Football League Hall of Fame Inductee 1981

The guy is a USC legend. I have his name listed on the sidebar of my blog, along with the other Trojan Hall of Famers.

I lived in Jersey during my elementary school years, and it was all about the NY teams. My family rooted for the jets, so I sorta did too, though I didn't really know a lot about football.

We eventually moved to California. One of the first live games I ever attended was between the Rams and Chargers. I fell in love with the Air Coryell offense, and I've been stuck ever since. Too bad those Chargers didn't play defense or they might have won something.

Guest Durant4MVP

I was born into a family of diehard Cowboys fans. The rest is history.

sometime during the Randall Cunningham years

My dad was a diehard Oilers fan, and I was rooting for Warren Moon even before I really knew all the rules of football. When the Oilers moved to Tennessee in 1997, my love for football started to fade away a little bit. I would root for the Browns, because my family is from Cleveland. (They're my "2nd team")

When news broke that Houston was getting an NFL franchise again, I've been a diehard Texans fan since the very beginning.

NYGIANTSFLYHIGH wins for best story hands down! GO GIANTS!

My story won't challenge his but here it is. I didn't get into Football (or any sport for that matter) as early as most guys on here. My parents split when i was very young so it ended up being just me, my mom, and 3 sisters. Not exactly a breeding ground for becoming a diehard sports guy lol. When I was 11 or 12 my older sister's boyfriend introduced me to football. The Patriots/Rams Superbowl was the 1st Superbowl I ever watched and til this day still one of my favorite football games I ever watched even though i rooted for the favored Rams. I was hooked after that game. I didn't choose a favorite team right away. Because i was still farely new to the game I ended up choosing 6 teams i liked, all for different reasons. Giants and Jets because they are the local teams. Raiders because of the awesome offense they had with Jerry Rice and Tim Brown. Bucs because of John Lynch and that defense and I liked Keyshawn. Packers because of ironman, and the Broncos because of Terrell Davis. I narrowed it down little by little and ended up with just the Giants because my favorite color is blue. That somehow outweighed the fact that at the time we had a crazy fumbling Tiki Barber and I hated the quarterback (Kerry Collins) and coach (Jim Fassel). Been all Giants ever since and even in the short time i've been a fan i alreay have a ton of great memories. Some tough times, some great divison battles and the highlight, an improbable Superbowl run.

I'm still seeking though to go to my 1st Giants game. I know it will be a great experience. Most likely will be going with my gf. She's not a huge football fan but does know enough to be able to follow whats going on on the field. She also went to college with Mario Manningham.

Since birth, motherfuckers. Runs in the family.

Edited by Mathias

Well, as for me, I never really much liked football when I was little. Mostly because I didn't understand what was going on, so I thought it was boring. However, there were always two teams rooted for in my house. The Seahawks (Being an Oregonian they're the closest to us) and then whatever team Brett Favre happened to be playing for.

I really didn't pay much attention to foot ball until highschool when I met one of my best friends. He was always playing Madden, and I learned through watching him and playing against him, how Football worked. As I gained a deeper understanding of the game i started to find I was enjoying it more and more. I also started watching games with him and he, like my family, supported the Seahawks.

I still wasn't HUGE into football though. I mostly didn't follow much except the Super Bowl until a few years ago when the undefeated Patriots played the Giants. That game was the turning point for me. For the first time I got emotionally invested into the game. I was cheering and hollering and was SO pissed when the Patriots lost. However, form then on I started following football much more closely.

I made sure to watch games, and I started reasearching and following the news of my team, which I decided would be the local and family-supported Seahawks. I think that team drew me in mostly because everyone around me had always supported them, but I also liked how loyal the fans were. Seahawks games are always sold out no matter how well or how badly we're doing. We never turn our backs on our team, and we never leave the game early and just assume we've lost. We stay until the end. that loyalty to the team really spoke to me. So I became a loyal member of the 12th Man, and i'll remain so for the rest of my life.

I chose the Eagles as my team since they were also from PA. And that's that.

Sarge you must update us!!!

I was born in Buffalo so of course I was raised young by my dad to be a Bills fan. Of course they were actually good then, but I remember none of it.

There was something about the Jets that intrigued me and I especially liked to watch Curtis Martin running the ball and he became a favorite player of mine. Throughout the 1998 season I found myself caring more about the results of the Jets than the Bills throughout the year (maybe due to the fact that they were winning more than the Bills, who knows I was 8 haha).

Like Razor, it really happened in the AFC Championship of the 1998 season. I watched the Jets/Broncos game and was really emotionally invested for the first time. I was devastated when the Jets lost but realized that they were the team I was going to support and have been supporting ever since.

Edited by JetsFan4Life

Lol. And Sarge makes fun of Bangy. He can't anymore.

I became a fan when they moved here, though I didn't really start following them as a dedicated fan til The Coliseum(now LP field) got built and they moved to Nashville for good in 99.

I became a Steelers fan in 1992, around 2-3 years after I got into football. Unfortunately, since I live in Ontario, Canada, I was unable to watch the Steelers on TV most of the time and was stuck watching the Bills so I could get game updates. Now, thanks to satellite channels and internet streams I can watch my boys all year long :)

As for why I got into the Steelers, it's mostly because my dad is into them, as he's been a fan of them since 1969 or so. (I'll have to ask him as I'm not sure.)

Well my family is all Boston sports fans, so it made sense to become one as well. :D

The first team I loved was the Red Sox, starting around '99-'00, never payed much attention to other sports though. "Got into" the Patriots and football (well, as much as a 1st grader can "get into" sports) in 2001 when they became good.

Edited by BradyFan81

"Got into" the Patriots and football (well, as much as a 1st grader can "get into" sports) in 2001 when they became good.

You were a 1st grader in 2001 too? I thought you were way older than that.

You were a 1st grader in 2001 too? I thought you were way older than that.

Nope, going to be a high school senior this year.

Nope, going to be a high school senior this year.

I'm pretty sure you've told me your age before but every time I'm shocked, you seem like a dude in your 20's (in a good way).

• Upvote 1

I didn't start getting into football much until I was about 8 years old. I was born in Tampa, raised around it, and some of my family members were Buc fans so when I went over to a cousins house on the weekends they were usually watching the Bucs. My older cousin taught me more about the game and I've been nothing but a die hard Bucs fan ever since. It's been about 15 years now so I guess I started watching them in 1996, Tony Dungy's first year as Head Coach.

Edited by Shotgun

I was like 8 or 9 and we were in Walmart and I told my dad that the Raiders were my favorite team now. He just laughed, and i've been a fan ever since.

I'll join the club. Seniors '12!

Same here! Anyway, I grew up with my dad being a diehard Packers fan, and we always watched the games together. I have always loved football, mainly thanks to the Pack. My whole dad's side of the family is from upper Wisconsin.