GA_Eagle

What was the last movie you watched?

wanna see "The Master." It looks good, possibly great.

Looks almost as good as Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. I look forward to it!

Lincoln could be an awesome film.

I love biographies, and Daniel Day Lewis is one of my favorite actors. Some other good names in there as well. Tommy Lee Jones among others. And not to mention, I'm also a civil war buff...

Lockout. The only thing that made the movie worth sitting through is the fact that Guy Pearce is pretty funny. Otherwise the movie was fucking horrible.

X-Men: First Class

I thought it was pretty good, although it was the first X-Men movie that I've ever watched.

Dark Shadows... Very... different. Definitely a classic Johnny Depp film.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

I read the first two books prior to watching the first film and, disappointingly, thought the greatest part of the film was the opening sequence with Karen O of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs singing a Trent Reznor-produced cover of Zeppelin's Immigrant Song.

I am usually loathe to sit down and watch a film based on a book that I've read due to the fact that the filmmakers take unneeded liberties to try and adapt the book for the big screen. I'll go into more detail on this in the spoiler tags below. Because of the size of the novels (600+ pages each), I was not expecting much from the film and was right not to. The movie is a mystery and the in-depth explanation of the investigation in the book was cut down to a few "aha moments" in the movie, which was frustrating to say the least. Read more below at your own risk.

Through the course of the movie I was frustrated with the lack of detail, but understood it and was content with the fact that they had at least held true to the overall plot of the book. This was swiped away at the end with one fell-swoop kick in the balls. The end was changed and, though it did have mostly the same outcome, the way they presented it was awful compared to the way it was supposed to happen.

-They wasted a lot of time having Blomkvist wonder around Martin Vanger's house and getting caught and having a "tense" conversation with him before having the gun pulled on him, whereas in the book he peered into the garage and was caught at gunpoint immediately.

-The basement scene was lame compared to how it should have gone and Lisbeth's chase scene on her bike where Martin lost control and crashed was cheesy and over the top. Martin crashes and is seen looking at Salander as she struts up very slowly like a "badass" with her gun to finish him off, at which point the car explodes and she is resigned to putting the gun away and driving off. In the book, Martin is being chased by Lisbeth and he chooses to turn into the path of a semi and commit suicide.

-The Harriet Vanger reveal was ruined completely. Blomkvist was supposed to tap Anita Vanger's phone line with Lisbeth and her hacker friends' help to learn that Harriet was in Australia. He was supposed to find her there and confront her, but instead in the movie they made it so that Harriet was pretending to be Anita in London the entire time. Stupid.

-Finally, Lisbeth fucking tells Blomkvist that she tried to murder her father at the tail end of the film, which is the MAIN MYSTERY in the second book and something that we don't find out until the last 100 or so pages of the second novel.

I also watched The Usual Suspects last night for the first time. Good movie and Sean was right, my girlfriend and I had it figured out right away, but that didn't take away from the journey.

Dark Shadows... Very... different. Definitely a classic Johnny Depp film.

Oh, and I hope nobody takes this as a positive. The movie was bad... lol. Just wanted to get that out there. When I re-read this post even I had myself sounded positive about it.

Bad movie. But something very different. And Depp is just being Depp. One of the most versatile actors in hollywood.

Hmmm... I went to the theater today and it was between End of Watch and Looper. Decided on Looper, and I wasn't disappointed in the slightest. Absolutely fantastic movie. :yep:

Hmmm... I went to the theater today and it was between End of Watch and Looper. Decided on Looper, and I wasn't disappointed in the slightest. Absolutely fantastic movie. :yep:

Yeah, that was the same for us, though our decision was made for us by my brother whom we promised to take to the movies and shit for his birthday. He said he wanted to see Looper, so we saw End of Watch (he wasn't going with us today). I'd go see End of Watch if you have a chance.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

The Dark Knight Returns.

Solid movie. Different than your usual Batman story, which I really appreciate and respect. Look forward to Part II.

Looper

4.5 / 5

Time travel is never an easy topic to broach on the silver screen.

The idea itself is so mind bending that there has to be true discipline from writers and directors to walk the fine line between being fatuous and being too intelligent .

Furthermore, time travel opens your plot up to logical fallacies and paradox.

Rian Johnson as both writer and director, walks that line perfectly on the straight and narrow with deadly accuracy.

Looper is smart with amazingly developed characters and a plot that features excellent pacing and rhetoric. It avoids all of the common gaffes, and instead builds on a strong foundation.

While the acting, from top to bottom, was phenomenal -- Joseph Gordon-Levitt took Looper to new heights. It's been a wild and quick ascension to the top for Levitt since starring in 300 Days of Summer, but Gordon-Levitt is going all-in and out to prove why he is one of the best Hollywood has to offer.

Edited by Favre4Ever

Batman: Under the Red Hood

4/5

Watching "The Dark Knight Returns", which Blue posted a short while ago, I got interesting in Batmans animated side again... And let me tell ya something, I am glad I did. This might be one of my favorite Batman movies... It still didn't match Mask of the Phantasm, which stands alongside the live action movies, but REALLY REALLY good.

The artwork is GORGEOUS... And Bruce Greenwood is a great fit for Bruce Wayne / Batman, IMO. Not to mention that there is a REAL PLOT... It's dark and gritty, with a more mature audience in mind and I love it.

Something that it did which I didn't even think was possible.... Was get me MORE interested int the Batman universe... I really liked their take on Dick Grayson (who is Nigthwing in this movie).

I actually want to seek out Nightwing comics now... :think:

Edited by Favre4Ever

^ I saw that preview before the movie I saw today:

I saw Taken 2 when my family visited this weekend.

It was very short but I liked it.

The way that the movie set itself up wasn't great and was quite predictable (well the whole movie was predictable I guess.)

I feel like the length of the movie was perfect. Much longer and it would have become boring and repetitive. Very good action movie for 1:15 or 1:30 or whatever it was.

Cowboys and Aliens.

It was okay. Give it a 5 or 6 I guess.

Saw Looper yesterday and I really enjoyed it. It finds creative ways to be unique within the time travel sub-genre, and reminded me a lot of Source Code, which I loved.

A lot of promising movies coming out within the next month. By Halloween I want to see Argo, Seven Psychopaths, Taken 2, and Sinister. And of course there's still Lincoln and Django Unchained to look forward to before year's end.

Saw Looper yesterday and I really enjoyed it. It finds creative ways to be unique within the time travel sub-genre, and reminded me a lot of Source Code, which I loved.

A lot of promising movies coming out within the next month. By Halloween I want to see Argo, Seven Psychopaths, Taken 2, and Sinister. And of course there's still Lincoln and Django Unchained to look forward to before year's end.

7 Psychopaths looks fucking hilarious. Can't wait for that one. It was made by the producers of In Bruges, which was really good.

I saw The Cabin in the Woods yesterday. It was.. Interesting to say the least. People may not like it but at least it was not boring at all. An entertaining and very different movie. Pretty funny too. Overall I thought it was pretty good and liked it a lot

Edited by BradyFan81

I've watch quite a few movies in the last week, just in the past 24 hours I've watched 5 movies 0_o

The Dictator: 5/10

The Hunger Games: 7/10

Shame: 8/10

Cowboys vs Aliens 6/10

Looper: 7.5/10

The Sitter: 6/10

Picture Perfect: 4/10

You need to watch good movies... Although, I don't think you would know a good one if it hit you in the face.

You need to watch good movies... Although, I don't think you would know a good one if it hit you in the face.

Get over yourself

Get over yourself

You enjoyed the Wicker Man, I am sure.

Watched Funny Games again. If you watch the original or American remake, they're the same movie, by the same director (a first, has to be.) Such a fucked up movie. Watch that and prepared to get angry, drop your jaw, and then angry again.

@Phins, Yeah I enjoyed In Bruges a lot too. Good director. I've even watched a collection of his shorts. Looking forward to Psychopaths.

@BradyFan, Cabin in the Woods was pretty genius actually IMO. Completely turned the horror genre around on it's head with that one. Such a wild concept. The surface of the movie is typical lame horror flick with cliche archetypes and then you figure out it's all because of this insane conspiracy. Absolutely wild, and the last 30 minutes or so are INSANE. INSANE. I had a free movie ticket back when that was in theaters. I went over the movies and really wasn't feeling any of them so I decided on Cabin just to say screw it. Went on my own and was absolutely pleasantly surprised. That has cult film written all over it.