GA_Eagle

What was the last movie you watched?

there are a lot of good Christmas movies, some of my favorites: Christmas Vacation, Elf, A Christmas Carol (the Jim Carrey version is actually really good), Scrooged, Die Hard, Polar Express, The Grinch (either the classic cartoon or the Jim Carrey version, I like both), Jingle All the Way

my suggestions from the other thread, Die Hard was definitely in there :thumbup:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2puuoe

:wub: If anyone wants to watch it, right there^

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058536/?ref_=nv_sr_1 Always loved watching this as a kid as well

Edited by Bay

After further review the ruling on the field stands....Force Awakens is a 7.5/10

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Love Die Hard... just can't really watch it around the holidays. <_<

Late on this one but....

X-Men: Days of Future Past

Outstanding? Great? Awesome? Amazing? 10/10

Star Wars.

Eh it was fun but if you take a step back, not a great movie. Definitely didn't live up to the hype, but not much could.

The whole Han Solo thing was just disturbing. His story in this movie made his original arc completely irrelevant. That was my main issue and that Ray/Rey/Rae whatever didn't know what the force was then 5 minutes later was able to do whatever she wanted with the force because someone told her to close her eyes. And the retread of the cantina scene.

• Upvote 1

Absolutely was a great movie. You can join Sparty as one of the ten people who didn't like it. Line is over there. ---> :p

What do you mean it made it completely irrelevant?

Rey knows exactly what the Force is. We don't have the whole story on who she is just yet.

The Cantina scene was amazing, IMO. Maz is a fantastic character, I really hope she isn't dead.

I'm pretty sure most people in the Star Wars universe know what the Force is, sure there are skeptics (like Han in ANH) but most people have heard of it, I think it's entirely believable that Rey, having been abandoned, may have been skeptical and it's certainly believable that she didn't think she'd be able to use it, but once she finds herself in the middle of the galactic war and everyone is acting like she's really special I can understand her giving it a shot, and what does she have to lose if it doesn't work?

Absolutely was a great movie. You can join Sparty as one of the ten people who didn't like it. Line is over there. ---> :p

What do you mean it made it completely irrelevant?

Rey knows exactly what the Force is. We don't have the whole story on who she is just yet.

The Cantina scene was amazing, IMO. Maz is a fantastic character, I really hope she isn't dead.

Han began as a smuggler (not a very good one) in the original trilogy, by the end he was a war hero, General, good guy etc. He and Luke didn't even really get along at first. However after everything he gets the girl, he goes back and saves his friends etc etc. We all know the movies pretty well.

Now 30 years later he's back being a shitty smuggler, something he sucks at, makes no money at, probably isn't happy doing. Lost his wife and his kid, they even take the Millennium Falcon from him. He gets to be the good guy one last time for like a day. Not enough. I understand Ford not wanting to be in any more movies but the way he went not satisfying.

So nearly everything Han did in the first 3 movies he goes back to square one with little explanation to boot. Han and Leia presumably somewhat happy until they ship their kid away and they separate because they handle it different ways.

I'm sure we'll get more info on Rey being someone daughter cousin sister, a Star Wars movie wouldnt be complete without a few incest undertones. It just didn't sit well with me that she thought the Force was a myth or whatever she said about it then was able to miraculously use it to her benefit when she needed to. Which meant overpowering some guy who's trained for years in it multiple times.

• Upvote 1

Han began as a smuggler (not a very good one) in the original trilogy, by the end he was a war hero, General, good guy etc. He and Luke didn't even really get along at first. However after everything he gets the girl, he goes back and saves his friends etc etc. We all know the movies pretty well.

Now 30 years later he's back being a shitty smuggler, something he sucks at, makes no money at, probably isn't happy doing. Lost his wife and his kid, they even take the Millennium Falcon from him. He gets to be the good guy one last time for like a day. Not enough. I understand Ford not wanting to be in any more movies but the way he went not satisfying.

So nearly everything Han did in the first 3 movies he goes back to square one with little explanation to boot. Han and Leia presumably somewhat happy until they ship their kid away and they separate because they handle it different ways.

I'm sure we'll get more info on Rey being someone daughter cousin sister, a Star Wars movie wouldnt be complete without a few incest undertones. It just didn't sit well with me that she thought the Force was a myth or whatever she said about it then was able to miraculously use it to her benefit when she needed to. Which meant overpowering some guy who's trained for years in it multiple times.

I disagree.

Han was a smuggler because he runs from any sort of responsibility and he's never really cared about anything other than himself. I think he knows he always screws up so he always runs from it because he feels that he is disappointing/letting people that he cares about down. He may have fucked up the smuggler thing often, but it was his and Chewie's THING. He has no real responsibility (at least that he cares about) and has fun doing it with his best bud in Chewie. It is the only thing he knows. Even Maz brings up the fact that he's always running (and coincidentally says something to the effect of, "these are the eyes of someone always running" when looking at into Finn's eyes hmmmm lol) and that he can't keep running.

I think everything that he accomplished in the original trilogy (it all started when he came back to help/save Luke so he can blow up the Death Star) started him on his path of, "Oh...look...I'm not a screw up and I can help/not disappoint the people I care about. That it can be/is his fight." Then, his son goes onto joining the Darkside and he and Leia had their issues. What did he do? He does what he knows...he ran...he and his best bud went back to doing the smuggling thing. Also, looking for their stolen ship. lol

He then gets sucked back in when he finds his ship with Rey, Finn and BB-8/Luke map. THEN, the woman he loves (Leia) tells him that if anyone can bring back their son, it's him. Before that he asks Leia to tell him what he can do.

When he finally goes to confront his son, he's still hesitant. IMO, he was successful and he reached Ben until Ben he was pulled back to the dark side (represented when the light died down from the sun finally being sucked away) and then kills his father because he believes that maybe it'll stop the "torn apart" bit. I thought it was really well done and even the affectionate touch Han gave before falling as sort of a, "I'm sorry, son. I love you."

Edited by BucD
  • Upvote 2

Except, as I have explained about a bajillion times, Kylo Ren is NOT a Sith. Nor was he trained in the dark side for multiple years.

He was in fact specifically NOT trained by Snoke because Snoke didn't trust him. That is why, after he kills Han, at the end of the movie, Snoke tells his commander to bring him to me, so that I may complete his training. Ren was not a well-trained force user, he was a protege with a lot of raw power, but no finesse. He was also freaking shot in the gut with Chewie's bowcaster, one of the most powerful hand-held weapons in the Star Wars universe. The fact that he was able to even stand upright was a minor miracle and showcased the amazing raw power Ren has with the force. A lesser force user would have collapsed on the spot.

BucD handled the rest of your complaints in his post.

Edited by Thanatos19

I don't know what a sith is, or what it would mean if he was one. I'm just speaking as a casual viewer of the movie. It was a fun movie, I'll definitely watch it again but it's not something I'll keep revisiting.

The movie made it seem like the guy had experience using the Force and the girl did not. Yet she's able to get the best of him when he's trying to get information, fighting and everything else. If natural ability, or relation to some other jedi, is enough to explain that away, fine whatever.

As for Han. I agree with what BucD said but that still doesn't negate the fact that everything that happened in the first 3 movies was for naught. Just went back to his old ways cause something negative happened, thought he was past that stage.

why are we back to using spoiler tags?

• Upvote 1

Better safe than sorry

How do you not know what a Sith is?

Have you watched any other Star Wars movies?

How do you not know what a Sith is?

Have you watched any other Star Wars movies?

Maybe he doesn't know what qualifies as a Sith? When I first watched the Clone Wars bit from before RotS, I thought Asajj Ventress was a Sith for the longest time. This was back when my listening skills weren't very good, and I didn't understand what that whole part about Dooku going to that monster pit was about. But yeah, I can understand why people are confused as to what qualifies as a Sith.

Right, but he said he doesn't even know what it is. Not that he thought Kylo Ren was one, but that he doesn't know what it is at all.

The Hateful Eight. It's pretty much what I thought it would be--a Reservoir Dogs plot in a Django Unchained setting. It's way too damn long, though. Takes too long to get going. Too many extended scenes of unnecessary dialogue before things get rolling. Overall, it's probably the worst Tarantino film I've seen, but that's not really harsh given his history. I still really enjoyed it, because it's got the usual Tarantino awesomeness, and Samuel L. Jackson is hilarious.

I guess I'd rank 'em as:

1) Pulp Fiction

2) Reservoir Dogs

3) Inglorious Basterds

4) Django Unchained

5) Kill Bill 1

6) Kill Bill 2

7) The Hateful Eight

Haven't seen Jackie Brown. :nope:

Edited by SteVo

HA! Remember Cloverfield? There's a sequel, which, by the way is out in 2 months.

Trailer:

This is the first flash release of a movie ever, no?

Edited by Spartan Havoc

The Revenant: 9.5/10

Ok let's start with this...if DiCaprio doesn't win an Oscar for this he can put his hopes to bed of ever getting one. I don't even have words for the performance he gave. Now if Inarritu doesn't win best director I understand cause they don't like giving back to back Oscars but maaaan....he deserves it. This movie is great in every single way with a small knock for the actual story not being anything special compared to the way it is delivered.

The Revenant: 9.5/10

Ok let's start with this...if DiCaprio doesn't win an Oscar for this he can put his hopes to bed of ever getting one. I don't even have words for the performance he gave. Now if Inarritu doesn't win best director I understand cause they don't like giving back to back Oscars but maaaan....he deserves it. This movie is great in every single way with a small knock for the actual story not being anything special compared to the way it is delivered.

To be fair, there isn't a whole lot of competition, IMO. Everything has lined up for Leo to finally win. Great movie, and nobody else to swoop in and take it from him. We shall see though.

Fassbender is the odds on favorite. Which I haven't seen Steve Jobs but can't for the life of me imagine it was anything close to what Leo did.