Sign in to follow this  
AllYouNeedIsLovie

Lions high on Jimmy Smith

It’s not a secret that the Detroit Lions are in major need of help at the cornerback position. The Lions are one of the many teams to either have CB Jimmy Smith (Colorado) in for a pre-draft visit or that have worked him out. "I had a great talk with Jimmy. After meeting him I felt much better about him as a player,†Lions general manager Martin Mayhew said during his Thursday pre-draft press conference. “I spoke with his position coach, Ashley Ambrose, who is now coaching at CAL, and he had nothing but great things to say about him. We've done a lot of work on Jimmy and I feel better about him than I did before I met him." Smith, who is considered to be one of the top players available at his position for this year’s NFL Draft, reportedly has character issues which could push him down in the first round.

Source: FOXSports.com

The Lions definately do need help in the secondary, but I think grabbing Smith at #13 would be a bit of a reach with his off the field issues.

If the Lions feel they have the leadership in the locker room and in the coaching staff to help get him in the right direction then it could be a great move to solidify the secondary, but there's definitely some risk involved. Maybe the Lions are interested in trading down.

Any team that is drafting Jimmy Smith will be obviously taking some sort of a risk, but some teams that desperately need to look at upgrading their secondary may just have to put his character issues aside.

In all honesty from what I've heard on Jimmy Smith is that he's smoked some pot here and there. He may have only been telling half-truths in his interviews, but marijuana is not that big of a deal to me as long as they can wait until the offseason to divulge in the medicinal herb or grow the fuck up and take his soon to be profession seriously.

Smith's talents far outweigh this "drug problem" IMO. If I recall correctly Percy Harvin was pretty much in the same boat, and look how well he has turned out. (With the exception of his reoccuring migraines)

Jimmy Smith has a high enough ceiling that could possibly put him in the same tier as Nnamdi Asomugha and Darrell Revis. Some team may end up with an incredibly amazing steal drafting Jimmy Smith in the middle of the first round.

starscream-7.jpg

Wait, I meant Smokescreen.

I think this is more about if they end up trading down in the draft. Depending on how things fall with the QB's and DE's Amukamara could still be up for the Lions at #13. If neither, I can see them going OL to protect their glass QB before they reach for a guy like Jimmy.

There is no way that san fran passes on Prince

Wait, I meant Smokescreen.

SmokeScreen_IV.png

There is no way that san fran passes on Prince

I dunno man... If Blaine Gabbert is still on the board I think the 49ers will take him over Amukamara.

Edited by FartWaffles

He hasn't had any known issues since 2007, unless you count skipping the senior bowl and firing his agent.

He took on a leadership role with his team his senior season. I think he is past his problem "issues" as they all happened when he was younger and more immature. He has seemed to have grown up and learned his lesson after his incident. So I am having a hard time buying into character issues tagged on someone who appears to have turned himself around after a rocky start.

Granted this is the NFL Draft and if you were caught masterbating in your closet as a freshman then they are going to know about it and label you with character issues 4 years later.

I say give the kid a break cause he could turn into one of the best corners or maybe even a safety in this draft.

All the GMs that have talked to him that I have read about seem to like him and his personality.

And add that in any other draft he would probably be a top 10 pick.

SmokeScreen_IV.png

I dunno man... If Blaine Gabbert is still on the board I think the 49ers will take him over Amukamara.

Gabbert is going to Zona unless the Bills take Newton, then they take Miller. In my opinion.

Gabbert is going to Zona

I just don't see it that way. Cardinals will probably leave this draft with a quarterback, but I don't think it's happening in the first round. I know it's hard to say that they are going to get Kevin Kolb or Marc Bulger once free agency finally starts, but I don't think the Cardinals getting Bulger to be their stop-gap is too far-fetched.

The only way I see the Cardinals drafting a quarterback in the first round is if they trade up with their second round pick along with other pick(s) to draft someone like Locker or Kaepernick in the bottom of the first round.

I'm almost certain the Cardinals will be drafting Von Miller or Patrick Peterson @ #5 overall.

And add that in any other draft he would probably be a top 10 pick.

I disagree. With no off-the-field concerns he's still very inconsistent on tape. He'd still go somewhere in the teens but I don't know about top 10. I mean, Prince Amukamara is a better prospect than Smith and he's not a lock to go top 10.

Edited by SteVo

I disagree. With no off-the-field concerns he's still very inconsistent on tape. He'd still go somewhere in the teens but I don't know about top 10. I mean, Prince Amukamara is a better prospect than Smith and he's not a lock to go top 10.

And that's only because of Peterson.

And that's only because of Peterson.

That's debatable, but again, even if it's not, Smith is only a top 10 product of he's more consistent at Colorado.

Anyway, the point of my post is that Jimmy Smith is a really good CB prospect stuck behind 2 EXCEPTIONAL ones.... he's probably going to be very good in the NFL. The 3rd best CB in this draft class would be the best CB in a lot of other drafts is the point I'm trying to make.

Anyway, the point of my post is that Jimmy Smith is a really good CB prospect stuck behind 2 EXCEPTIONAL ones.... he's probably going to be very good in the NFL. The 3rd best CB in this draft class would be the best CB in a lot of other drafts is the point I'm trying to make.

I'll buy that. Again though, I'm usually not a fan of drafting players in the first round who have any type of character concerns, questionable motor, off-the-field issues, etc. All you have to do is look at Aqib Talib to know what I'm talking about.

I think Smith's off the field issues are wayyyyy overrated, but that's just my opinion.

I'm sure that's what NFL teams have been trying to decide. We'll find out on Thursday who values him the most.

I just don't see it that way. Cardinals will probably leave this draft with a quarterback, but I don't think it's happening in the first round. I know it's hard to say that they are going to get Kevin Kolb or Marc Bulger once free agency finally starts, but I don't think the Cardinals getting Bulger to be their stop-gap is too far-fetched.

The only way I see the Cardinals drafting a quarterback in the first round is if they trade up with their second round pick along with other pick(s) to draft someone like Locker or Kaepernick in the bottom of the first round.

I'm almost certain the Cardinals will be drafting Von Miller or Patrick Peterson @ #5 overall.

Ya, it's kinda hard to predict which teams are going to take QBs this year being that we have had no FA or any transactions for that matter. I am sure some teams who we think will go QB high will end up bringing in a vet and vice versa. Kind of a guessing game. Even more so than usual.