Sign in to follow this  
AllYouNeedIsLovie

DeMaurice Smith 'Congratulates' NFL For Being 1st League Suing To Not Play

Obviously, NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith is disappointed with today’s Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals ruling that issued a permanent stay of the lockout injunction. But that didn’t stop him from getting off a pretty nice zinger. "As far as we can tell, this is the first sports league in history that's sued to not play its game,†Smith told NFL.com. “Congratulations.†NFL lawyer Jeff Pash was a little more understated. "You don't resolve things through litigation," he told NFL.com. "We've been clear on that. And what we need to be doing is focusing all our attention on the process that's going on here in this building, with the assistance of the chief judge and in serious discussions with the players. We have an opportunity to resolve this matter and get the game back on the field, and that really should be our exclusive focus -- not litigation, not stays or injunctions, things like that. That's not going to solve anything. I'm glad that it came out the way that it did. But it's just one step in a process and we need to focus on negotiation. That's the only way we're going to resolve this."

Source: CBS Sports

Fuck this guy.

Fucking Lawyers...

If they wanted a lawyer to run the NFLPA, they should have gotten one that actually played the game...maybe Steve Young

This whole thing seems so childish. Everybody associated with the NFL in any way should be embarrassed.

Fucking Lawyers...

If they wanted a lawyer to run the NFLPA, they should have gotten one that actually played the game...maybe Steve Young

I wonder if Young's closing arguments would be as good as his play in the 4th quarter lol

Wasn't it DeMaurice that badly wanted this to go to the courts? He sounds like a fucking cry baby to me...

I hate this guy so much. I feel like flying back to Minneapolis and waiting outside the courthouse to punch him in his fucking face.

Wasn't it DeMaurice that badly wanted this to go to the courts? He sounds like a fucking cry baby to me...

This.

I hate that the owners want to extend this lockout.... But it was the PLAYERS and De Smith who wouldn't sign an extension to the negotiations, dissolved the NFLPA, and were EXCITED to take it to the courts.

Don't get me wrong... The owners are still acting a "little" childish... But the De Smith was asking for this.

I actually heard him say this, and it really did sound like a kid who had just gotten in trouble talking trash to his mom. "Yeah, well your a big meany and I don't like you anymore."

I hate this guy so much. I feel like flying back to Minneapolis and waiting outside the courthouse to punch him in his fucking face.

This, except I'd be flying to Minneapolis instead of back. Afterward, I'd nutkick him for extra points.

I'm so sick of both sides of this. The owners are greedy jackasses, most of the players are greedy jackasses, and DeMaurice Smith is your typical asshole lawyer that gets pleasure out of screwing people over in court.

If I thought there was a better sport out there I would just say fuckem all and move on.

This.

Congratulations, De Smith, on being a fucking tool bag and enticing America into wanting to punch you in your stupid fucking face.

For the owners, I don't think it's about the money, as much as it's about the control.

Allowing their employees to dictate to them, and open their books is basically handing over control, and making the owners, the employees' bitches.

Many players are out of control, and need to be put in check.

Billionaires would have to try really, really hard to be put in a bind...interest alone on 2.5B at 2.5%APR is around 63 million a year.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_does_2.5_billion_dollars_receive_on_2.5_interest_rate

• Upvote 1

I'm so sick of both sides of this. The owners are greedy jackasses, most of the players are greedy jackasses, and DeMaurice Smith is your typical asshole lawyer that gets pleasure out of screwing people over in court.

If I thought there was a better sport out there I would just say fuckem all and move on.

PM me and I'll give you a little info on the English Premier League.

:wink:

NFLPA head Smith: NFL lockout isn't about 'Shut up and play'

COLLEGE PARK, Md. (AP) -- DeMaurice Smith had barely settled behind the podium when University of Maryland students started chanting: "We want football."

Smith's response: "I want football, too."

The executive director of the NFL Players Association then gave a graduation speech that compared the players' lockout fight against the owners to the detractors the students will face in their future lives. For his final bit of advice, he turned on his own recording of Gary Glitter's "Rock and Roll (Part 2)" and encouraged everyone to chap while shouting the mild profanity that Maryland fans insert into the song at basketball games.

"To anybody who thinks for one minute that passion is something is that is cheap and futile, have two words for them: 'You suck,"' Smith said. "And for anybody who would ever think that it is the wrong thing to do to care so much that you're willing to risk everything because it is right, reserve those two words for them."

It was an awkward moment, in part because Smith's recording of the song wasn't very loud. Many of the thousands who packed the Comcast Center - especially the families and friends - didn't play along.

After the speech, Smith was asked how those two words might work around a negotiating table.

"All I can do is tell you what I told my 6-year-old daughter when she heard it for the first time," he said diplomatically. "It's all about love."

Smith said no one should be "reading anything into anything" about his use of the song, other than the passion it evokes at Maryland basketball games. Passion was the theme of his speech, and he invoked it when he said the lockout shouldn't be reduced to a catch phrase like "Shut up and play."

"Do we care enough about who we are and who we want to be?" Smith said. "The decision to pursue and if necessary fight for what is fair was a decision those players made two years ago. And I've got to tell you, it's vastly different from something as simple as 'shut up and play.' That's not the decision that we made. We made the decision to fight for who we were going to be and who we are."

Smith, who attended classes at Maryland in 1985 and 1986, declined to comment on any specifics of the NFL's labor situation, including the recent court ruling in St. Louis that set back the players' hopes for an early end to the lockout.

"We believe as a group that it is important to fight for fairness," he said. "And I'm proud of the players who have stepped up to be leaders."

SOURCE: Sports Illustrated

I'm so sick of the fucking shameless pandering going on with this asshole (and to a lesser degree, Goodell too). Shut your fucking mouth....stop playing the drama up in front of a TV camera, and get your ass to a table with the league and get this shit DONE.

Hey DeSmith......

Shut up and play.

:temper::temper: DeMaurice Smith being appointed as director was BIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGG mistake. Certainly the players could have found someone more reasonable for the owners to negotiate with? Dammit, I WANT MY FOOTBALL BACK!